Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-01-2024, 09:08 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback wanted! What do you like and dislike about my RPS?
"Dark Warrior" Micheal Graves

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 10:36 AM

First off, this last week has been a little crazy for me. After not writing or role playing at all for the last 10 years and just jumping back on the saddle I find myself doubting the quality of everything that I type while also experimenting with different styles. My main goal is obviously to tell the story of Micheal Graves, but to also keep the reader interested. Am I accomplishing that goal?

Also I do realize that I may not be focusing enough on my match, but since my opponent has yet to show I decided to use the time to get some character development in. I write Micheal in the style that his "real life" and wrestling life are one and the same. So it made sense to me to explore some of the internal things that he is dealing with.

So with that said, what do you like and dislike? What should I work on to make my RPS more interesting for you to read?

Any tips will be appreciated.
Hate Post Like Post
R A D I C A L

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 10:44 AM

Personally, I think character development is vital to finding your style and flow of a character but dont be afraid to try other types of writing and stories, it may make him go off in a new direction, and you can always come back too. Sometimes for PPVs I make it a point for each rp to be written differentlty to challenge myself not to just do the same thing. It gets old, judges get tired of reading it, gotta keep it fresh. This place says relevancy to the match matters, and it does, but if you don't write well you won't win anyway, so development gets you there then you can make it relevant creatively, until ideas begin hitting you. And they will. Just because things are making sense to you keep in mind it may not to everyone else, make it clear. So far so good. Graves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes R A D I C A L's post:
(12-02-2016)

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 10:58 AM

Thanks Reno. And just to be clear, I'm not looking for an ego boost. Having gone back and read the last 4 RPs that I've written, I see problems that I need to address, but then I'm not sure everything that I think may be an issue really is. That's the main reason I'm looking for outside opinions.
Hate Post Like Post
Dolly Waters Offline
Always.

XWF FanBase:
The IWC

(gets varying reactions in the arenas, but will be worshiped like a god and defended until the end by internet fans; literally has thousands of online dorks logging on to complain anytime they lose a match or don't get pushed right)

12-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Haven't got to read much of it yet, so I'm sorry for that.

I'll check some stuff out later

3x XTreme Champion
2x Tag Team Champion (w/ Vita Valenteen, w/ Charlie Nickles)
2x Hart Champion
2x Television Champion

3x Star Of The Month
August ‘21, May ‘17, October ‘16

3x RP Of The Month
What light through sonder... my perception breaks.
Tranquility: For Old Times Sake
Manifest Victory

my loves:
[spoiler]
Hate Post Like Post
Vincent Lane Offline
Rock n' Rolling XWF Owner and Megastar
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 01:40 PM

Just to quickly touch on the relevance issue.

The easiest way to attain full relevance is to just address your opponent. That's why Trash Talk is looked at so heavily. It's 100% relevant just by its very nature. So if you write an entire story that has nothing to do with the XWF at all, which a lot of people do, but then have a section where your character is speaking directly to your opponent... it's automatically relevant.

As far as having multiple stories in one arc... that's tricky. If you can tie 5 roleplays together in a common story that can be a positive, but if you can write 5 totally complete and separate stories that can also be a positive. It really depends on what your strengths are. I used to kind of do two stories concurrently, or have a few that were related but then a couple that were totally separate. I think Dolly and Duke are two of the best you'll see right now as far as writing one long story arc, and a guy like Robbie Bourbon is excellent at writing different episodes that don't necessarily have to go together to all be great.

Anyway, I rambled. Good job, Graves.

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vincent Lane's post:
Doctor Louis D'Ville (12-02-2016)
Vincent Lane Offline
Rock n' Rolling XWF Owner and Megastar
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 01:45 PM

I forgot Doc. I'd be lying if I didn't say Doc D'Ville is a top guy, probably all-time, of writing a long story. Dude did a year long arc that kept getting better and had a hell of a finish.

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vincent Lane's post:
Doctor Louis D'Ville (12-02-2016)

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 02:23 PM

This stint marks the first time that I have ever attempted to keep my RPS tied together with a story. I used to write 90% trash talk with maybe a small story connected sometimes. I'm trying to avoid having random camera crews show up, or just filming promos against my opponent because even when I used to rely heavily on that style, I never cared for it.

It always seemed odd that we would have camera crews show up to film spots that were never actually included on the shows, and I like the idea that the wrestler is always in character even in his outside life because the character isn't necessarily a character.

The 3rd RP that I wrote has probably been my personal favorite so far. Using a first person inner monologue seemed to work well, and I could have Graves doing something mundane like working out, but address the story with his self doubt and inner demons all at the same time as reveling his thoughts on his opponent.

However I went into the 4th RP in much the same manner, and was not nearly as happy with the final result. It's definitely a work in progress for me, but I'm enjoying the challenge of changing my style.

I've managed to read a few RPS of Dolly and Duke so far, and loved their style of writing. Duke as evidenced by my vote for RP of the month was my favorite, but that's just because I was really invested in the story it was telling. I haven't read a Doc RP yet m, but it is definitely on my to do list.
Hate Post Like Post
Thomas Nixon Offline
Saving the Lizards

XWF FanBase:
Kids, women, some teens

(fighting the odds; helps others; disliked by adult males)

12-02-2016, 03:00 PM

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm new here, but as much as I like out there stories and arcs, I like them to be in some way thematically related to the match. So when I see an RP that's mostly random stuff going on and then a little bit of smack talk thrown at the end for relevance, I'm usually a little disappointed. I like when the story/arc is in some symbolic or thematic way related to the upcoming match. This is a bigger criticism to backstory dumps. Backstory is usually interesting, but I think it needs to be tied together into the XWF somehow and I can't stand when it isn't.

I personally haven't read much of your stuff, so I can't speak to that. I just wanted to throw out that tip though because you sound like you're planning on doing a lot of character stuff in the future.

Ambassador of the Lizard People
Hate Post Like Post
Dolly Waters Offline
Always.

XWF FanBase:
The IWC

(gets varying reactions in the arenas, but will be worshiped like a god and defended until the end by internet fans; literally has thousands of online dorks logging on to complain anytime they lose a match or don't get pushed right)

12-02-2016, 03:32 PM

(12-02-2016, 02:23 PM)Dark Warrior Micheal Graves Said: This stint marks the first time that I have ever attempted to keep my RPS tied together with a story. I used to write 90% trash talk with maybe a small story connected sometimes. I'm trying to avoid having random camera crews show up, or just filming promos against my opponent because even when I used to rely heavily on that style, I never cared for it.

It always seemed odd that we would have camera crews show up to film spots that were never actually included on the shows, and I like the idea that the wrestler is always in character even in his outside life because the character isn't necessarily a character.

The 3rd RP that I wrote has probably been my personal favorite so far. Using a first person inner monologue seemed to work well, and I could have Graves doing something mundane like working out, but address the story with his self doubt and inner demons all at the same time as reveling his thoughts on his opponent.

However I went into the 4th RP in much the same manner, and was not nearly as happy with the final result. It's definitely a work in progress for me, but I'm enjoying the challenge of changing my style.

I've managed to read a few RPS of Dolly and Duke so far, and loved their style of writing. Duke as evidenced by my vote for RP of the month was my favorite, but that's just because I was really invested in the story it was telling. I haven't read a Doc RP yet m, but it is definitely on my to do list.

I guess you should think of any backstory or any role playing done outside of your promos as long vignettes for fans or anyone to see.

I think something that helped me during my first, I don't know, 4 matches? They were all on Savage so you had the three RP limits, so I was able to run two seperate stories concurrently by doing 1 RP a week as a current time RP, and my 2nd RP as Dolly's back story... I just ran those, like I said for about four weeks until they finally kinda intertwined together in this RP: http://xwf99.com/showthread.php?tid=25403 which granted, I didn't think was really good, but it combined the past and the present tieing it together and now Dolly has been running the same arc since, with a few twists and turns here and there.

Not sure if that's something you'd like to try, or if that even makes sense, but it helped me continue to tell a fluid story that made sense and always ended with a clear direction.

Also, I love leaving dates in the beginning of my RPS because it helps me keep track of where my character is, and if you ever want to help the reader understand things a little better you should leave an OOC disclaimer in the beginning or the end
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dolly Waters's post:
(12-02-2016)

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 04:15 PM

(12-02-2016, 03:00 PM)Thomas Nixon Said: Take this with a grain of salt because I'm new here, but as much as I like out there stories and arcs, I like them to be in some way thematically related to the match. So when I see an RP that's mostly random stuff going on and then a little bit of smack talk thrown at the end for relevance, I'm usually a little disappointed. I like when the story/arc is in some symbolic or thematic way related to the upcoming match. This is a bigger criticism to backstory dumps. Backstory is usually interesting, but I think it needs to be tied together into the XWF somehow and I can't stand when it isn't.

I personally haven't read much of your stuff, so I can't speak to that. I just wanted to throw out that tip though because you sound like you're planning on doing a lot of character stuff in the future.

Noted. That is part of what I thought was wrong with RP 4. It tied into the previous RPs sure, but it was a stand alone story that hardly mentioned Mikes upcoming match. Of course it is leading into something, but it was more of a bridge between RPS than anything else.
Hate Post Like Post
Shandell Jones Offline
Registered but either hasn't added self to a roster yet or doesn't RP

XWF FanBase:
Teens, some men, few kids

(cheered BECAUSE they break rules and bones)

12-02-2016, 04:59 PM

From what I've read, you're still legit Graves.
Hate Post Like Post
Thaddeus Duke Offline
Lionhearted
Management Lv. 2

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

12-02-2016, 05:54 PM

I've pretty much had the same story, at least in principle, since I began here. Supporting cast gets changed, the main star is now changed, but the modern day Illuminatus (as I call it) is still very much the way I began it. I like my ego stroked now and again so thanks for that Lane. It's not always easy to run new arcs within one continuous story line. If you find a subject matter you are passionate about, the ideas will come. You can take current real world events and twist them to fit what you're doing in your story. I did that with Benedict XVI resignation. Oddly, my fictionalized version of him became an antagonist PRIOR to the resignation announcement and it was just too perfect not to use.

Blah blah. That said, I might have some time this weekend Graves, to look over your stuff and feed you some back.

[Image: wgqr9W2.png]
74-31-1
Semi-Retired

1x  XWF Universal Champion || 3x  XWF Xtreme Champion || 1x  XWF Supercontinental Champion (First)
1x  XWF Hart Champion (Last) || 2x  XWF Television Champion || 1x  XWF Tag Team Champion
1x  OCW Savage Champion || 1x IIW Tag Team Champion  || 2x  SOTM (9/20, 7/21)
2021 Male Wrestler of the Year (shared w/ Alias) || XWF Hall of Legends
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thaddeus Duke's post:
(12-02-2016)

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 06:10 PM

That would be awesome Thaddeus.
Hate Post Like Post
Dolly Waters Offline
Always.

XWF FanBase:
The IWC

12-02-2016, 06:22 PM

Don't take advice from Duke he's a shemale

3x XTreme Champion
2x Tag Team Champion (w/ Vita Valenteen, w/ Charlie Nickles)
2x Hart Champion
2x Television Champion

3x Star Of The Month
August ‘21, May ‘17, October ‘16

3x RP Of The Month
What light through sonder... my perception breaks.
Tranquility: For Old Times Sake
Manifest Victory

my loves:
[spoiler]
Hate Post Like Post

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 06:53 PM

At least he isn't an autistic pirate. Tongue
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes "Dark Warrior" Micheal Graves's post:
Dolly Waters (12-02-2016)
R A D I C A L

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-02-2016, 07:51 PM

(12-02-2016, 10:58 AM)Dark Warrior Micheal Graves Said: Thanks Reno. And just to be clear, I'm not looking for an ego boost. Having gone back and read the last 4 RPs that I've written, I see problems that I need to address, but then I'm not sure everything that I think may be an issue really is. That's the main reason I'm looking for outside opinions.

I think that is also a good thing in being aware of rust, I went through that months back but I was also writing the ten years I took off, more scripts and poetry, but something. Did you write in your time in any way since? I ask because you may also have high standards and be too hard on yourself, especially only 4 rps in after so long. Write some shit on the hype board, just a paragraph or two, something totally different. Get you mind thinking in new directions, then go back to your Graves stuff and it will help you extend and boost him as well.

Btw, like Lane said, use your resources, I reach out to Doc or McBride sometimes to talk RPs or whatever, it can help to see what they see, what helped them. Ect.
Thaddeus Duke Offline
Lionhearted
Management Lv. 2

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

12-02-2016, 07:58 PM

(12-02-2016, 06:22 PM)Dolly Waters Said: Don't take advice from Duke he's a shemale

I think you have me confused with a different former GM.

You know...

[Image: wgqr9W2.png]
74-31-1
Semi-Retired

1x  XWF Universal Champion || 3x  XWF Xtreme Champion || 1x  XWF Supercontinental Champion (First)
1x  XWF Hart Champion (Last) || 2x  XWF Television Champion || 1x  XWF Tag Team Champion
1x  OCW Savage Champion || 1x IIW Tag Team Champion  || 2x  SOTM (9/20, 7/21)
2021 Male Wrestler of the Year (shared w/ Alias) || XWF Hall of Legends
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Thaddeus Duke's post:
Dolly Waters (12-02-2016), Tommy Gunn (12-03-2016)