Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-15-2024, 03:50 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice?
LJ Havok Offline
The Chose One

XWF FanBase:
Some men, some teens, few women

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following)

10-01-2013, 02:36 PM

Hey you guys I usually keep to myself when it comes to asking for stuff from you guys, but could I have some advice on how to win matches here? I try really hard and I have to say thanks to the writers for involving me in all these interesting angles and matches..

I suppose its good I'm taking time off for the next couple of weeks to re-energize my batteries. I just need to know what are the strong and weak parts of my work. I won't get pissy, and I'm open to criticism. Thanks you guys!

[Image: Lssnyr5.gif]
Edit Hate Post Like Post
Rebel Offline
Jackass of all Trades

XWF FanBase:
Heel w/ Cult Following

(the heel you love to love; does whatever they want)

10-01-2013, 02:42 PM

I'm learning as well man, so I'm right there with you. One gripe I have about your role plays are the color choices you make. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass to read what you write because of the colors. I'll go read some more when I get time and help you, but you probably want more experienced people helping you.

[Image: Chaosrebel_zps20294548.jpg]
1x X-Treme Champion (13 days)
Hate Post Like Post
LJ Havok Offline
The Chose One

XWF FanBase:

10-01-2013, 02:44 PM

I still appreciate it man and I was thinking the same thing..I just kinda wanted to differentiate between Joseph Kain and LJ Havok.. You make a good and valid point though.

Hate Post Like Post
Rebel Offline
Jackass of all Trades

XWF FanBase:
Heel w/ Cult Following

(the heel you love to love; does whatever they want)

10-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Luca, Madison, and Duke are guys you want to talk to when they have time. Supernova does awesome work, so look at his stuff and learn. That's what I'm doing. Also, come up with a history and role play about it.

[Image: Chaosrebel_zps20294548.jpg]
1x X-Treme Champion (13 days)
Hate Post Like Post
Smoke Away
://location_unknown---

XWF FanBase:
Nobody

(can't get crowd reactions; awkward; probably going to be fired soon) 

10-01-2013, 02:48 PM

What I've found to be helpful is to talk about your character's past, their lives outside of wrestling and everyone in it. Shifting your focus onto that can give you more creative freedom to write in detail and about - practically - whatever you want. Roleplays don't always have to be about your next match and trash talking, because while it helps, it limits you on what you can write. As a personal example, I'd point to my RPs for my X-Treme Title match. Most of them purely focused on Smoke's backstory and I ended up winning the match, even though they didn't really promote much and instead relied on the story moulded by the situations.

The way I see it, RPs are stories, and each one adds a chapter into your character's overall story and persona. Diving into their roots and exploring why and how they became who they are today opens up a world of opportunities to what you can expand upon in future roleplays. For instance, I'm already somewhat mentally planning for some roleplays in about a month or two, based on the story that I've created for Smoke Man thus far and using the material as a base to jump off of.

Long story short, talk about something other than strictly wrestling (for example, life before or even backstory) in sufficient detail during RPs and your quality should improve, since you'll instead be writing about your own story, rather than talking smack all the time. It worked for me, at least Smile

[Image: logosmoke_zpsfca57577.png]

XWF Win-Loss Record
8-9-1

Title History
4x 24/7 FTW UFO E1999 Champion
1x X-Treme Champion

For other stats, go here
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smoke's post:
Tony Santos (10-01-2013)
LJ Havok Offline
The Chose One

XWF FanBase:

10-01-2013, 02:49 PM

Believe it or not that's what I'm doing. I don't think I'm delivering it right. Thanks for the advice dude and I will

Hate Post Like Post
John Austin Away
Grizzled Young Vet

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

10-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Well for one, I would try and stick with a couple colors and leave it at that and only use bold for like say if you are screaming

IE: LJ: When I face John Austin on Sunday, he will know the meaning of PAIN AND DESTRUCTION

Like me, I use white for the normal scenes when I am describing something and when I start talking I use my norm of blue or here recently...red.

When I bring some-one else in, I usually try to find a color that is not to over-the top and is readable.

Overall I like you stuff and hate the only time we faced off, I couldn't RP more than I did but oh well Smile .... you are doing great here...it just takes time to find a niche and take off with it

Smoke said it best. Tell a story. Get everyone to know who is LJ really. Like with me, I recently started talking about the demons I have been dealing with and it seems to have taken off for me.

Like I said, choose easier colors on the eyes, less bold only when necessary and try and give us more info about what makes LJ tick. Does he face demons too, is he a former mafia hit-man? what?

Keep up the great work Smile

To find John, turn those lights out because he will then appear...
XWF LEGEND and the only man who punked out Duke TWICE
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes John Austin's post:
Andrew Morrison (10-01-2013)
LJ Havok Offline
The Chose One

XWF FanBase:

10-01-2013, 02:56 PM

former drug dealer actually Smile but I understand. Thank you dude

Hate Post Like Post
John Austin Away
Grizzled Young Vet

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

10-01-2013, 03:09 PM

(10-01-2013, 02:56 PM)ljTheSavior Said: former drug dealer actually Smile but I understand. Thank you dude

Oh okay...well see, there you go.

You can give us a glimpse into his past and talk about his days drug dealing. Like maybe LJ had a run in with the law but he escaped.

Or maybe, he was involved in a dangerous shoot-out and decided after that moment to get into something more easier and less dangerous but still can take out his aggressions....pro wrestling.

To find John, turn those lights out because he will then appear...
XWF LEGEND and the only man who punked out Duke TWICE
Hate Post Like Post
Great Buzzard Eli James IV Offline
Speaker of Truth

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

10-01-2013, 03:31 PM

You were thrown against some strong opponents, so don't think of your losses as bad.. think of it as a stepping stone. If you read my first rp or two here, you'll probably think I suck. I wasn't that great because I hadn't done this in over 13 years. I guess I've gotten the hang of it.. people seem to like my work and entertained by me.. even if they hate the character.

You're doing a good job.. just keep growing. Angles always help you rp better.

All I can really say is give it time and keep doing what you're doing. You'll only get better.

I hope this helps somewhat. Sorry if its hot-air.

[Image: N1KpZEA.jpg]

1x Universal Champion
1x Undefeated Trio Champion (1/3)
1x Undefeated Tag Team Champion
1x Undefeated European Champion
2x Undefeated UFO/FTW (Ark of the Covenant) Champion
1x United States Champion
2013 July Star of the Month
The One Who Ended & The Administrator
Former Owner of the XWF
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Great Buzzard Eli James IV's post:
Andrew Morrison (10-01-2013), LJ Havok (10-01-2013)
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

10-01-2013, 03:49 PM

i second eli's post. just write what you feel. i usually do solo rp's and if I feel the need to do a story rp ill do it. its hard to write gilmour at this point but with his new aggressive side coming out i think I can do good things with him.

just make sure you proofread and check your spelling (im not a grammar whore just saying)

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Jessie-ica Diaz Offline
Only to find it again.

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

(cheered heavily at home; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

10-01-2013, 03:51 PM

I'll be more in depth later on (be it on this thread, or in a PM) but I think the biggest thing you can do to improve yourself is be versatile. Don't get yourself stuck in a too linear story, or an overly similar approach. The biggest thing I can think to help with that would be giving the character a personality disorder of sorts. For everyone feeling this way, I urge you to take this test in character:

http://www.4degreez.com/misc/personality...er_test.mv

Learning of what disorders they may suffer from lets you know how to put that into an RP. For example, if the character scores high or very high on antisocial, and they injure or kill someone in the story, have them show no remorse.

That in turn adds depth to the character.

Remember; even if you aren't the best writer in the world (not saying that anyone is a bad writer by any stretch of the imagination) if you can get the people reading it to be interested in the character, they're going to keep reading your work as you improve.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Write like a reader. When reading other people's RPs, or books or whatever it is you read, what are things that are in them that you like? I know I like internal struggle, and despite not knowing a whole formal lot of the subject, psychology. That's what gives me the inspiration to write as Jessie.

For Luca? Yeah, I like crime drama. Again, internal struggle. Humor. I use that a lot when I write Luca, and it seems to click.

So yeah, write like a reader, man.

Wow, this was a lot more in depth than I expected it to be.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 3 users Like Jessie-ica Diaz's post:
Andrew Morrison (10-01-2013), Great Buzzard Eli James IV (10-01-2013), LJ Havok (10-01-2013)
LJ Havok Offline
The Chose One

XWF FanBase:

10-01-2013, 04:51 PM

Thanks you guys. It really helped..well will help once i figure out exactly what I have to do

Hate Post Like Post
LJ Havok Offline
The Chose One

XWF FanBase:

10-01-2013, 05:02 PM

Oh and the quiz helped.. I knew my character had problems, but I never knew exactly what. That itself helped a lot. I have all kinds of ideas flooding in now so again thanks.

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like LJ Havok's post:
Andrew Morrison (10-01-2013), Jessie-ica Diaz (10-01-2013)
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

10-01-2013, 06:15 PM

My advice for trash talk is to know your character's history and your opponent's history. There's always something from someone's past that you can use on them. And you can always find something special about your wrestler's career that will stick out, especially with LJ Havok.

For LJ Havok, if it were me, I'd blow up that King match and that Brooklyn battle royal you won. Make it seem more awesome than it actually was.

Example... With John Madison and the 30-person gauntlet at Gauntlet City, he didn't actually run through 30 people. I think he came in at #20 or something and he actually had outside interference the entire time. But still, I push that victory as hard as I can and make it seem like the biggest accomplishment in professional wrestling. I think I even wrote it as being bigger than Hogan slamming Andre. It's bullshit, but I do whatever I can to make my character sound convincing or confident.

I'm pretty sure that Rumble in Brooklyn was the biggest battle royal we've had in XWF, at least in recent memory. Not only that, but look closely at the details:

With that one Rumble win, you hold victories over:

The Rock (former WWE champion/movie star)
Sebastian Duke (former US champion/SOTM)
Steele
Payne
Gilmour (former Xtreme champion/ SOTM)
Diaz
Radio
Satellite (reigning TV champion)
Senator John Samuels (former Euro champion/SOTM)

I think that you could have made that victory a bigger deal than what you did. Holding a victory over Duke alone is a big deal. Hell, I can't even remember the last time Satellite lost a match. Why didn't you demand that Satellite hand over his TV Title since he lost to you? Or that The Rock give you all of his movie roles?

^I think you could throw together an entire RP based off those two points alone.

Wasn't that Rumble your first match in the fed? How many people can say that they defeated all of those guys I just listed AND earned a chance to fight for the top title in one night?

You can even figure out how to put over the fact that E.R is still going strong despite all of the setbacks. Yeah, you guys lose, yet somehow you're snagging main events left and right. What does that say about the guys who have been here longer and haven't had the opportunities that you guys have had?

That's all I've got trash talk wise.

I'm not so good in the story department. But my advice for that is to just go crazy. Try to do something other than having your character lift weights or do sit down interviews.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 3 users Like John Msdison 2.Faggot's post:
Cam Lang (10-01-2013), Great Buzzard Eli James IV (10-01-2013), LJ Havok (10-02-2013)
Hunter Payne Offline
RIP Ray Peterson

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

10-01-2013, 08:48 PM

http://xwf99.com/showthread.php?tid=5382

That should help. It helped me.

[Image: 111315-wwe-Eddie-Guerrero-pi-mp.vresize....high.1.jpg]

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hunter Payne's post:
LJ Havok (10-02-2013)
Sincere Lee Wild Offline
XWF's Ultimate Sin

XWF FanBase:
Monster Heel

(always booed; cheats; hurts people)

10-02-2013, 06:15 AM

I agree with Madi (John Madison) know your opponents. If you know absolutely nothing about them just shoot a PM to them and ask for a little history on their character, we are all here to help and they should have no issue with helping you out.

Don't get to focused on winning matches either, always remember that it's just a game. For instance there is without a doubt a ton of people who write way better than I do and others have more time to put effort into a RP than others. What I have done with my character Sin is let the readers and my opponents know that I don't care if I win matches that my main goal is only to cause pain and anguish for them.

As Jessie Diaz said if your character is a heel and they do something unforgiveable do not show remorse with your character make him as dark as you can. Find a good background story for your character and SLOWLY divulge secrets about him. For example I had Sin at one time have a split personality and made people think it was a whole other character, but I rushed the story and let the reader know too soon that she was just a figment of Sin's imagination which ruined a other wise awesome story that would have captivated more readers.

You are doing very well, I have enjoyed all the RP's you have posted thus far just keep working hard and stick to your characters personality. If he is a face make him a face if he is a heel make him the worst person possible.

Amber

[Image: jf84dg.jpg]
Hate Post Like Post