Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-28-2024, 09:32 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is in a perfect RP?
Hunter Payne Offline
RIP Ray Peterson

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

08-08-2013, 10:42 AM

What constitutes an absolutely perfect roleplay to you?
Improvement thread Big Grin

[Image: 111315-wwe-Eddie-Guerrero-pi-mp.vresize....high.1.jpg]

Edit Hate Post Like Post
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick Offline
Waves don't die.

XWF FanBase:
Women and gay men

(physically attractive male on every level; can seduce you; that disarming smile; those bedroom eyes)

08-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Broadening it for a second, one thing that makes a post perfect is when it's in the right place.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like #MemeQueen Luca Torchwick's post:
AlexandraCallaway (08-09-2013), Christine Nash (08-08-2013)
Tony Santos Offline
Santos Glares at You

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

08-08-2013, 11:08 AM

I can hear Hunter's skin sizzling from that burn.

September 2013 and May 2019 Star of the Month
1x Hart Champion
1x Television Champion
1x Xtreme Champion

[Image: VIh61T5.jpg]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tony Santos's post:
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick (08-08-2013)
Christine Nash Offline
The Twisted Angel!

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

(cheered heavily at home; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

08-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Perfect setting for one... but I am a person I like details and maybe a bit of a story. History on the character is nice to know too. Tongue

9-16-0
1 team win

DTA - Don't Trust Anyone!!!

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Christine Nash's post:
Hunter Payne (08-08-2013)
John Austin Away
Grizzled Young Vet

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

08-08-2013, 11:25 AM

-Color coded, like if there are x amount of individuals talking, you having their speeches in different colors. Like A has his in blue, B has his in yellow and so on.

Also it helps me personally as a reader. When it's plan gray, I have a hard time reading it, I think I may need reading glasses haha xD but it personally helps me out.

-Also detailed descriptions of person, place and things. What they look like, how they sound, etc. Also I don't mind having a picture thrown into the mix as well if you have a hard time describing something.

To find John, turn those lights out because he will then appear...
XWF LEGEND and the only man who punked out Duke TWICE
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 3 users Like John Austin's post:
Christine Nash (08-08-2013), Hunter Payne (08-08-2013), Shocker (08-09-2013)
Christine Nash Offline
The Twisted Angel!

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

(cheered heavily at home; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

08-08-2013, 11:29 AM

(08-08-2013, 11:25 AM)John Austin Said: -Color coded, like if there are x amount of individuals talking, you having their speeches in different colors. Like A has his in blue, B has his in yellow and so on.

Also it helps me personally as a reader. When it's plan gray, I have a hard time reading it, I think I may need reading glasses haha xD but it personally helps me out.

-Also detailed descriptions of person, place and things. What they look like, how they sound, etc. Also I don't mind having a picture thrown into the mix as well if you have a hard time describing something.

So totally agree John!

9-16-0
1 team win

DTA - Don't Trust Anyone!!!

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Christine Nash's post:
Hunter Payne Offline
RIP Ray Peterson

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

08-08-2013, 12:36 PM

It's not that big of a deal Luca. Great advice everybody, I've been doing the multi-person coloring, and the settings are there, but keeping interest might be something I need to work on a little bit.

[Image: 111315-wwe-Eddie-Guerrero-pi-mp.vresize....high.1.jpg]

Hate Post Like Post
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick Offline
Waves don't die.

XWF FanBase:
Women and gay men

(physically attractive male on every level; can seduce you; that disarming smile; those bedroom eyes)

08-08-2013, 12:43 PM

(08-08-2013, 12:36 PM)Hunter Payne Said: It's not that big of a deal Luca. Great advice everybody, I've been doing the multi-person coloring, and the settings are there, but keeping interest might be something I need to work on a little bit.

Hey man, I was just fucking with ya. Anyway, a thing I love to see in RPs is humor, as when situations are taken too seriously, I kinda tune out and it just seems ridiculous. It's one thing if the character is melodramatic and overreacting, but I've seen enough writing on the internet in general to find that a little infuriating. However, that's not to say I dislike more serious writing, just when it seems goofy or overdone.

Wow, that didn't really answer the question very well.

Maybe I should just stick to wise ass comments...

[Image: giphy.gif]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes #MemeQueen Luca Torchwick's post:
Caliban Offline
The born and raised irish airbourne

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty)

08-08-2013, 12:54 PM

I honestly think the only thing you NEED to do with an RP is do something that makes people acknowledge it, look at the characters your RPing on study them and say something even if its short and wouldn't make a point to anyone but that characters handler that makes him/her want to respond. Also obviously as has been said before originality helps, try and find new ways of say I'm going to rip this guys fucking head off. I'm having some issues with that myself to be honest

[Image: saz0o3.gif]

[Image: 32zp5xt.jpg]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Caliban's post:
Archie Lawson Offline
Britain's Finest Export

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty)

08-09-2013, 12:51 AM

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect post, just as I do not think there is such thing as a perfect film, novel or TV Series.

I think it depends on who is reading/judging it. As a reader I like to be painted a picture for me, where as Heyman/Duke prefers entertainment. I enjoy reading writing of the highest quality and for me it doesn't always need to be full of fast paced action, just a story that makes me BELIEVE in the character.

I hate using examples but i am going to anyway, Mr. Satellite's character is not human, and is therefore unrealistic. Despite this, reading his work makes me believe in the character.

Ultimately as Mr. Satellite said though, the most perfect role play is the role play that YOU the writer enjoys writing the most. If you enjoy writing it, the odds are we will enjoy reading it.

If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
Margaret Thatcher

[Image: 97166.jpg]
Hate Post Like Post
Ann Thraxx Offline
Fuck the fuck off!

XWF FanBase:
Some men, some teens, few women

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following)

08-09-2013, 01:59 AM

In a PERFECT RP, you must have ANN THRAXX!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, but I do have some advice. While I may need to take this advice myself, there is no point having 20% decent content, and 80% filler. If you only have... Say, 500 words of decent content in mind or written for that RP, but want to add in a bit more, you could add maybe a couple hundred of extra in somehow. I have a habit of trying to reach about 1000 words, when in reality, short 600 word RPs are my best content. It may be easy for some people to get like 5000 words out, but not for me. I just end up ranting and repeating the same things over an over again instead of doing a decent RP. I'm not saying to try and keep an RP short, just that people really mean it when they say that it's not all about the number of words. And if you're like me, a few short ones works 5x better than one long one with a rushed ending because you kept trying to make it longer and didn't get around to that until just before deadline. Plus, in one-on-ones, your opponent will likely want someone to go back and forth with. I hope I haven't repeated myself at all. In hindsight, should've kept this post short. Tongue

[Image: 2lv1fme.png]

How come all the weird kinky stuff in the world reminds you people of me!?
Hate Post Like Post
Shocker Offline
Your Favorite A**hole

XWF FanBase:
Classic Heel

(usually booed; often plays dirty)

08-09-2013, 08:31 AM

I can say one thing I have always seen in the past, was all based on length. In some old e-fed I did back in the day, judging was based solely on length. Now I know some guys here can make some very extensive RPs and border on the line of long to excessively long (looking at you Satty Tongue), but it can still be really fantastic work (still looking at you Satty Tongue). Yet, people can do shorter ones that are just as fantastic. I love how Dwayne can make some crazy RPs that make me laugh, and Thraxx has short one that convey a very intimate point. Also, Gilmore shows alot of emotion in his, Radio has a completely different world about his (pun intended), while others can use simple story to give their character depth. I will say that I hate Lightning's crap with a passion. He has no writing style and makes no damn sense!

[Image: banner2.png?t=1375195158]

Reasons I'm Better Then You

2x UFO Champion
Highest Viewed Shove It GM Show: 8/31/13
Hate Post Like Post
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

08-09-2013, 08:53 AM

I try to avoid these discussions because there's SO much to go over and everybody has different strengths.

One thing I've always told people is that you should think of your RP as you creating an entire environment that you present to the reader. Make it your own and make it enjoyable to be in the room (aka in the post) while they're experiencing your roleplay.

Does your writing style welcome the reader visually? Or is it all clumped together in a massive block (or wall) of text?

Does your color coding (if you use any) make it easier or harder for us to follow along? Are you using the color blue too much, which is too dark for some screens? Are you combining clashing colors that mess with the eyes? (like red right next to blue, etc...)

If you add graphics/pics... do they make sense for the RP in question? Do they help tell your story and paint a visual? Or are they just distracting and pointless?

If you add music/media... does it supply a nice background/addition or is it actually distracting? If your RP is supposed to be your character having a picnic with his girlfriend, you probably should not be blasting crazy heavy metal songs in that RP.

Everybody knows the writing itself is what matters the most, but it doesn't hurt to think of it as an entire environment that you're creating for your reader. Figure out what types of things work well for you. Maybe you HATE color coding your text? Then don't do it. Maybe you LOVE color coding and can even do advanced effects on text? Go for it!

There is NO one answer to what a perfect RP is. It's only perfect if you've chosen the right abilities in yourself to display to us and all of them mesh flawlessly.

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane's post:
Shocker (08-09-2013)
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

08-09-2013, 09:35 AM

I don't know if one exists...

But I guess something that's clear and easy to read is the most important thing. I can get past a couple of grammar errors, but sometimes people's shit looks so cluttered and unorganized. I immediately just want to stop reading because I hate trying to figure out what they're trying to say.

Another thing I hate is when people just start tossing a bunch of characters that I know nothing about into their story like they expect me to go back three weeks to do some research on their stuff. Stick with some core characters or at least give a quick back story on the important people that you are throwing in. People seem to forget that there's 20 or so different stories taking place every week.

Comedy is always a strong thing to have. I love when a writer catches me off-guard with a little piece of humor they've thrown in, especially when the rest of the RP deals with serious situations. You don't even have to be a funny person, just slip in some soft humor every now and then... It helps me from losing interest in the piece.

In back and forth arguments, I like to see someone who keeps attacking even if they're wrong or don't have much ground to stand on. It's totally possible, even if you're getting called out on your bullshit, to remain cool and confident about your beliefs. If you're gonna run with bullshit then embrace it.

Reference history when it comes to XWF or your opponent's history. I like when people bring up a character's history (whether it's story or in-ring stuff), especially if it goes beyond "well I beat you three months ago."

Collaborating with other members is always a plus. Just try not to focus too much on the other members since your character should be the main character.

Show off the strengths of your character by going beyond your wins. Yes, you got a victory over Crimson Dong but what makes that win important to you? For example, you could say that no amount of training could have prepared you for a wrestler as unorthodox as The Crimson Dong.

I don't know what else... I feel like this is more of a suggestion post than a guide to crafting the perfect RP.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like John Msdison 2.Faggot's post:
Andrew Morrison (10-01-2013), Tony Santos (08-09-2013)