Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 03-29-2024, 03:55 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation »   » Archives » Leap of Faith 2019 RP Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PlaceMarker The Forest
Ned Kaye Offline
per cogitabat, per facis
TITLE - Tag Champion

XWF FanBase:
The IWC

(gets varying reactions in the arenas, but will be worshiped like a god and defended until the end by internet fans; literally has thousands of online dorks logging on to complain anytime they lose a match or don't get pushed right)

07-27-2019, 11:00 PM

July 15th, 2019

The scene fades in from black, revealingNed Kaye running full force on a treadmill, several gym-goers watching on in shock. After a strong finish, he hops off, barely catching his breath, grabbing a towel and wiping his brow. Ethan walks up to him, looking proud.

"Damn, Ned, you're really pushing yourself here!"

"Honestly, I'm not interested in letting another opportunity pass me by. Besides, I do have to improve my overall performance across the board for one... fairly important reason."

"Yeah? What's that?"

Ned hesitates, sighing.

"I'm afraid of heights."

Ethan's head turns slowly toward The Notorious One, eyes nearly popping out of his skull.

"You... you... wh-what?"

Kaye nods, visibly embarrassed by the admission.

"Dude... how do you even...?"

"Like..."

Ned shrugs, shaking his head as he places his hands together.

"...fuck."

All of a sudden, a small jingle sounds. Reaching into his pocket, Ned pulls out his phone, looking at the screen.

"It's... it's Drew."

"Archyle?"

"Yeah..."

Ned places the phone to his ear, a confused expression on his face as muffled speech blares from the other side.

"Hey- hey! Slow down, Drew! What's going on?"

He nods, quickly itching the side of his face.

"Have you called Robert?"

Silence.

"Look, I can make it there as soon as possible, you just gotta give me a little bit of time. I was just getting some training in. I'll be there right away."

"Cool, see ya then."

The Notorious One hangs up, making his way towards the exit, Ethan following him, an anxious look on his face.

"What's going on?"

"Not sure. Something about a horse. I'm beginning to think breaking him out wasn't the best idea."

Ethan halfheartedly chuckles.

"You think?"

The two stop at the door as Ned turns to his friend.

"Tell Joey I might be unavailable for a few days. He knows what to do, I just have to handle a personal matter. Okay?"

"Su-sure, but-"

"Thanks, buddy."

Ned smiles before dashing out the door, leaving Ethan baffled.

"But what about the heights thing?"

Ned Kaye's muffled shout is heard from outside, down the street.

"We'll get it handled!"

Ethan places a hand to his forehead, mind clearly racing.

"...Yeah. Right."

--------------

July 21st, 2019

The scene cuts to a different clip, showing Ned sitting across from a reporter wearing a navy blue suit, holding a small notepad in one hand as she addresses the camera.

"Welcome to Professional Wrestling Insider! I'm Ruth Calloway and tonight we have a very special guest. You might know him from his rise to prominence in the XWF or his many matches a free agent, but now he has the opportunity of a lifetime. "Notorious" Ned Kaye is here with us-"

The camera cuts back to show Ned's face as he smiles.

"-and let me just say, it is a pleasure to have you here tonight."

"I'm always gracious when people decide I have something worth hearing."

They both laugh slightly.

"So, how's your training for the match been?"

"Oh damn, what hasn't it?"

--------------

July 20th, 2019

There is another cut to a different clip, showing Ned and Ethan in swim trunks at what appears to be an aquatic center. Standing in front of both of them, towering above them are the stairs of a high dive. Looking over it, Ned shudders.

"I don't get it, dude. You've been in countless ladder matches, you get in a ring and willingly beat the hell out of someone, but a rafter is too high?"

"It's different. With a ladder I don't have to feel like I'm just dangling with no hope. With a ladder I don't have to worry about all of my falls leading to serious injury or death."

"...Then why are you shaking right now..?"

Ned gazes upward at the top of the high dive.

"Because I don't have a choice."

Ethan frowns somewhat, nudging Ned with his elbow.

"Hey, come on, man. You're gonna be alright. You have complete control here. Nothing to worry about."

"Right."

"You'll just go up there and get used to the height, then you can work on the jumping."

"...Right."

"This match is really important for you. I've seen you keep talking about it over and over. Your eyes light up, Ned. You're one of the hardest workers I know and not a damn thing can stop you if you just push forward. And I'm right here, man. I didn't let you fall off the wagon, I didn't let you destroy yourself from this past June, and I'm right here."

Ned inhales sharply, looking to Ethan.

"Thank you."

"No problem, man."

Reluctantly, Ned begins to climb the steps.

--------------

"It's been one of the most trying times of my life. I mean, just past training for the match, I've had to come to terms with so much going on that I don't have a hand in influencing. Just- changes. Changes I can and can't control all converging at once. So, I've been very nervous and, as usual, I'm likely pushing myself far too hard. But the work you put in is a reward in of itself."

"And what kind of changes have been going on in your life?"

Ned sighs, taking a moment to think.

"Well..."

"My father is going to be passing soon after a long battle with cancer, so I'm having to prepare for the day when my biggest fan and motivator is just... not going to be here anymore. My career has really developed past what I think anyone expected apart from a core few. And I recently open a business of a sort, mostly to give access to an affordable gym to my hometown. A lot of those folks have the desire but not the cash. I think it's only fair I give back because I wouldn't be where I am without people believing in me, so I believe in my neighborhood."

"Ah! So, you've entered business much like your opponent Robbie Bourbon?"

Ned laughs, shaking his head.

"No, not like Robbie. Very many key differences."

"Like what?"

Ned tilts his head in slight confusion.

"I didn't start my business to profit or exploit my customers. I'm breaking even or losing money on this gym, it doesn't matter to me. The cost is worth keeping it accessible to those who need it. Bourbon's not like that. Not one bit. Robbie is looking out for himself. I heard rumors he was gonna skip this rafter match like he had skipped his X-Treme title shot and I don't doubt it for a second."

"Why's that?"

"Because he cares about his own personal brand and nothing else. He's only ever been kind towards the XWF Galaxy because he knows he can get money from them. It's despicable. He knows he has a chance of losing this match just like he knew Tommy Wish could beat him so he'll likely not show up. That's the kind of man Bourbon is."

"Alright then. What about one of your other competitors: Mastermind?"

A wide smile covers Ned's face.

"I'm excited to see what he has in store for me. Our last match took a toll on both of us physically and while I may have won my last match, MM had a rough time at Wrestlestock. He's going to be more than ready to do whatever it takes to grab victory, but that desperate hunger doesn't win multi-man matches like these."

"Well, on the subject of your last match, many are saying you had an unfair win over Raphael Blackwater. How do you feel about that?

"They're saying it because it's true. I didn't achieve a proper victory over Raphael. And I think Donovan's carrying that with him more than he'd like to admit. Donovan isn't the kind to smile and nod at undue treatment of his kin. If he's staying quiet on me, it's deliberate. The Blackwaters don't plan on the same level as myself or MM, but they aren't naive. If Donovan is developing a plan for me, he'll keep it close to his chest."

"Since we're on the subject, do you have any words on the other combatants: Big D and Brian Storm?"

Ned takes a second to collect his thoughts, inhaling deeply before he speaks.

--------------

"I don't know about this!"

Ned stands about a foot from the edge of the high dive, looking nervous as he shouts down at Ethan.

"Ned, it's just one jump now! I know you can do it!"

Ned inches his way forward, peering over at the water, shaking heavily.

"I-I don't know..."

"Come on, man! All you have to do is close your eyes and just walk off! That's all you gotta do!"

Ned stays silent for a moment.

"You sure?"

"Positive!"

With a deep breath, Ned walks towards the edge of the platform before letting gravity pull him the rest of the way. Halfway through the fall, he opens his eyes, flailing in a state of panic.

"Shit, shit, shitshitshitSHITSHI-"

SPLASH

Ethan is heard laughing a bit as Ned pulls himself to the edge of the pool, coughing loudly while he grimaces.

"God, I think I got some water up my nose..."

"You did good, Ned! Next step is doing that with your eyes open."

"Ugh..."

Ned runs a hand through his hair, shaking his head.

--------------

"Daniel reminds me a lot of myself, honestly. He doesn't go into matches halfway or try to give anything less than his best, but he's hitting a wall. And how he reacts to it will prove his character. But I can see his frustration brewing. Daniel's an interesting case because he's someone who could main event countless shows in other companies, but he's facing the best of the best here and it's getting to him like it got to me. But I know he'll find his stride and regardless of my feelings for his behavior prior to our War Games match, I want to face him mano a mano at his absolute best. Brian on the other hand has just put in the time, proven he means business. But I think Brian's going to be in a whole different world on that rafter. I'm curious to see whether it breaks his undefeated streak."

"Do you have any things that motivate you?"

"There's a quote that's stuck with me for a very long time..."

--------------

Ned walks towards the edge carefully, eyes wide open.

--------------

"And when you fall..."

--------------

Holding his breath, he steps closer.

--------------

"You will fall from a height..."

--------------

He pushes himself off the edge, looking down as he falls toward the water.

--------------

"Most men will never reach."

--------------

The water encompasses him, before he bursts out, laughing loudly"

"I can do it!"

--------------

"Well, I have a few more questions for you, if you can stay a bit-"

"Mr. Kaye."

Ned looks back at the disembodied voice, surprised.

"Yes..?"

"It's about your father."

July 24th, 2019

In a hospital room, seated next to the bed his father is laying in, Ned Kaye sits. His father is motionless, several machines connected to him, information about his condition sprawled across screens on each machine. Ned himself looks exhausted. He stares at his feet, looking up to check on his father. His hands are pressed together. In his focus, he doesn't notice a figure enter the room behind him.

"Hey, Ned."

Ned twists around to see his older brother, Nathaniel.

"Is Dad okay?"

Ned, concealing his contempt as best he can, shakes his head.

"His condition worsened heavily just a couple of days ago. They don't know if he's gonna make it past the week."

Nate takes a seat next to Ned.

"Mom called. Told me you'd been beating yourself up pretty bad over this. That's why I came by. I'm gonna watch Dad while you go to that show for your company."

"No, you're not."

Ned stares at his brother, channeling pure hatred through his eyes.

"After everything you've said about him- to him, you think you're just gonna waltz on in here and play the part of the living son?"

"Dad and I had our differences, but I don't want him to die."

"You said otherwise back then."

Nate holds back a response before he speaks, his tone sharp.

"Is that really what you're going to prioritize right now? The airing of grievances?"

"I don't trust you. I don't trust anything about you. This isn't about me."

"Well, it's not about me either, Ned!"

Ned stays quiet.

"...I'm not gonna pretend I didn't treat you all terribly, but I'm not that person anymore. I wish I was still the person you think I am, so maybe you could get some damn closure, but I'm not. Now, I'm gonna be here with you, without you, or in spite of you, but I just wanna be here for Dad. I've wasted a lot of time, Ned, and I'm not getting it back."

Nate's eyes begin to tear up slightly as he looks at Ned. Silently, they make an agreement, both brothers looking onward to their comatose father.

--------------

July 26th, 2019

At a hospital vending machine, an unknown figure places some quarters in. The machine makes a bit of noise before stuttering, keeping whatever selection the figure had firmly in the grip of its coils. Cursing under his breath somewhat, the figure reveals himself to be none other than Robert Main.

Ned Kaye is sitting nearby, wearing a distraught expression despite Robert having come to see him.

"So, let me get this straight."

Robert walks towards Ned, a questioning look on his face.

"You're thinking of not showing up to the rafter match?"

"...Yeah."

"And you're sure this is just about your Dad and not that fear of heights shit?"

"I'm sure."

Robert frowns, looking somewhat disappointed in The Notorious One.

"You're gonna toss away such a huge shot? An honor? I didn't take you for someone like that, Ned."

"You have your obligations to family and I have mine. Cancer isn't like Chris Page. I can't face it in a ring for retribution. I just have to watch and stay here. I can't leave him alone to die, Rob. I just can't..."

Robert gazes at Ned's slumped over body.

"When my fiancee, Lilian... died, it was instant. I wasn't able to be there by her side. The one person who kept me going more than anything didn't even get to see me a day before she was gone. I can't go through that again."

Robert sighs, grabbing Ned's shoulder.

"I get it, kid. But potential doesn't give a damn if you're on cloud nine or in the fiery pits of Hell. Your time is coming Ned, sooner than you think. And it's approaching like a freight train. So you can turn away from it and get crushed underneath or you can hold onto it for dear life. But it ain't stopping for you."

"I get that, but I can't let it all go."

Robert sighs again, walking out of frame.

"Call me if you change your mind."

Ned stares at his feet, placing his palms against his eyelids.

--------------

Ned, sitting by his father's bed, is seen nearly dosing off when his father's hand grabs his with a tight grip, startling The Notorious One.

"Dad... you're awake..."

"What time is it?"

"Late night on the 27th. Why?"

"You're gonna miss your event."

Ned laughs a bit, taken aback by his father's words.

"Dad, I- I can't go. It's not important as being here right now."

"Ned..."

"Every day I wake up, I think about how proud I am of you. And I'm proud of you because I know no matter what you can see it all and try your damndest to succeed. But you see the forest for the trees too often. I want you to be the best damn Ned Kaye you can be. I wanna see my son come out of Britain with a prize fitting his persistence and grit. I'll always be with you Ned, even if you can't see me. But chances like these don't last Ned."

Ned begins to tear up at his father's words, wiping his face uselessly.

"Are you sure..?"

"Of course I am, Ned. I didn't raise you to be a quitter."

Weakly, Ned and his father share a chuckle as Ned gives him a hug.

"I love you, Dad. I'm gonna give it my all."

"I know."

--------------

There are no small steps into the unknown. Only Leaps...

Ned places his phone to his ear.

"Hey, Robert? I'll be there after all."

TO BE CONCLUDED AT LEAP OF FAITH

"You can't run from yourself."
[Image: riNkNZw.png]
XWF
Wins | Losses | Draws
52 | 37 | 4

Indie Darling Eternal

#33 on The XWF Top 50(2021)
1x Tag Team Champion[with Isaiah King](Current)
2x [Image: CbviDqC.png] (Former)
1x X-Treme Champion(Former)
The Final Supercontinental Champion
1x Television Champion(Former)
Star of the Month - April 2019 | March 2021 | December 2022
RP of the Month - March 2021 (Void of the Mind)
Winner - Leap Of Faith Rafter Match 2019
1x 24/7 Briefcase Holder
Winner - War Games 2023(With Mark Flynn, Isaiah King, & Crash Rodriguez as G00D-B01)

All Time Career(Interfed)
Wins | Losses | Draws
52 | 38 | 4
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 4 users Like Ned Kaye's post:
Atticus Gold (07-28-2019), Barney Green (07-27-2019), Darius Xavier (07-28-2019), Robert "The Omega" Main (07-30-2019)