Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-13-2024, 05:15 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much in way of donations do we need?
Cyren Offline
XWF Legend

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Hey Shane,

I know a traditional response would be, 'Whatever you can manage, nothing major...', but as far as hosting requirements, time, etc. - what are we looking for in ways of donations? And programs or software access XWF is looking into? I've been floating around XWF for 13 years now, I'm in a good situation and if I can toss some cash into the game for once, I'm willing to do so. Feel free to private message me if there's a specific amount of cash we may need, or a needed amount of cash for something 'special.' I wanted to ask it here, so that if it's some huge amount for something super-flashy, like an expensive AdWords campaign or something similar, we may all pitch in and assist - the ultimate form of crowd sourcing like a Kickstarter. I would personally love it if you typed 'e- fed' into Google, XWF was on the first page.... also, I'll provide some useful links. You're a much more tech-savvy guy then I am, so I'm sure aware of these resources but just in case...

PATREON: https://www.patreon.com/ (This would allow you to process donations from people in a much more streamlined way then a general Paypal button from current and former members - it provides you to spark an interest from the general public, much in the way of a Kickstarter campaign however it's much more lax.)

GOFUNDME: https://www.gofundme.com/ (Great use of the 'creative' category.)

INDIEGOGO: https://www.indiegogo.com/learn-how-to-r...a-campaign (You could create a fleshed out plan and advertise it for donation.)

As XWF expands it's horizons and always has, it transcends the pigeonhole of the professional wrestling hobbyist and even the 'E-Fed' label. You could always present the XWF as some fashion of 'competitive writing platform', in order to garner broader interest and support, perhaps?

I remember back in the day when FuzZ 'bought' XWF from Jonathyn, and I can't even remember how you got back into running it or who even technically 'owns' the domain name anymore, but if there's anything I can do to help out financially, I'm here and I'm here now.
Edit Hate Post Like Post
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

12-04-2015, 11:08 AM

Right now I'm in a stage where a lot of the Paypal funds get used to make offers to guys who can make/fix plugins and features.  As you may or may not know, I just spent a couple months dealing with what was by far the most difficult and frustrating "upgrade" that I've ever had to implement on any site or forum in my entire life, and luckily I had some people donate so I was able to get a little extra help from the pros on a couple of aspects.  As much as I know about websites and whatnot, I'm no PHP or SQL expert and there are still a good portion of our plugins from the previous version of our boards that simply won't work on this current version.  I'm going to need to address them one by one, talk to the parties who I think can help, and get quotes from them or make offers to them.

Sometimes it's as simple as me contacting "Mr. X" we'll call him and saying "hey, this plugin is supposed to do this and it doesn't anymore... can you fix it for $20?"  ...and he might say sure, and then within a week that plugin is fixed.  Or he might take a quick look and see that it's a shit-ton of work for that plugin and get back to me with a quote of like $40 or $50 depending on whatever factors he sees.

That's just one of many examples of how little by little all the extra money gets put to use.  Obviously it's a similar idea for requesting NEW or custom plugins and features, which is always more costly than just getting a fix for an existing one.

But yeah, wow, if we ever could get to the point where we're able to start pumping money into getting us onto the front page of "efeds" results on google... holy shit.  That HAS been something I've dreamed of but as I'm sure you know, would take a massive amount of funds as well as some very specific optimizations of the site itself which I'm only kind of familiar with.

You and I and whoever else wants to help make this grander vision a reality should definitely talk, and those who can be major contributors will be able to have a major say in some of the aspects of the fed like if you wanted a specific new feature or whatever.  I don't know if your Skype works or what, but I still have you on my list.  We can talk more there or via PM.

I'd love for XWF to not only be one of the first things people see if they look for e-feds, but also get us into spots where people who don't even KNOW about e-feds will find us.  I want us to be able to gain interest from people who have never RPed before but always thought it would be cool to "be" or create a wrestler.  I think Robbie Bourbon had suggested something similar to this a while back.  We'd eventually be able to be similar to WWE/NXT where our "new to efeds" people would have a place to grow and then the familiar efedders would all have a "main roster" or whatever we end up calling it.

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Hate Post Like Post
Cyren Offline
XWF Legend

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

12-04-2015, 12:02 PM

Yea, I totally want to go over some more in detail to see what might be needed in the immediate and what we may need in the future. I haven't logged into Skype in ages but I'll try and get back on, to holler at you... I don't know if you even possibly use AIM messenger still or even if there IS an AIM messenger anymore, but I could try that too... PM me your Skype name, just in case so I can reach out to you.
Hate Post Like Post