Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-06-2024, 08:32 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Warfare Boards » Warfare RP Board
Refining Fire I: It Follows
Ned Kaye Offline
per cogitabat, per facis
TITLE - Tag Champion

XWF FanBase:
The IWC

(gets varying reactions in the arenas, but will be worshiped like a god and defended until the end by internet fans; literally has thousands of online dorks logging on to complain anytime they lose a match or don't get pushed right)

08-04-2023, 05:59 PM

Refining Fire
I

It Follows

The cliché ring of a telephone.

A triple pocket tap.

An almost unconscious reach and answer.

"Isaiah speaking, it's not the best t-"

The words that interrupted him were words he'd been waiting to hear for awhile. Words that interrupted all his thoughts and sent the Kingslayer into a spiral.

A deep spiral.

A spiral of conviction, a special of obsession.

A spiral of salvation.

"That's all I've wanted from y'all, I'm glad that little bitch finally caved."

Before he could hear his employers response, the Heir Apparent slipped his phone back into his back pocket and got back to skipping rope.

Left, right, right, left, left, right, right, left, left, right, left, right, left.

He moved with an increased intensity. The predator finally had his prey in striking distance and there was absolutely no time or effort to waste.

You see, entrepid follower, our protagonist has been on a journey the last few months, almost coming to a whole  nine months. He'd started a journey down to the depths of his psyché, the depths of his self worth and ambition. It started with a simple, expected loss, but a loss that proved to him he wasn't all that. It showed him that in the grand scheme of things, Isaiah was just at the foot of a mountain.

In the following nine months, everytime the Kingslayer made his way up the mountain, a large prey would overwhelm him. They were all still prey, just pray our young lion hadn't learnt to overcome yet. Prey that highlighted to Isaiah that there was much to learn.

The constant two steps forward, three steps back made the Heir feel like he hadn't figured it out yet. Nothing he tried was working. Leaning into his trauma meant nothing. Leaning into the brutality meant nothing. Taking the largest leap of faith... Meant nothing.

Perhaps some prey were just too big.

Perhaps some prey were not meant for Isaiah to hunt.

And the first of those monumental preys were... Ned Kaye.

Ned Kaye who was right in his sights the coming Warfare.

The early morning following Leap of Faith

Live long enough in hotel rooms and they begin to seem like home.

It seemed as though every veteran wrestler had said something to that effect to him at least once. Even the departed Steven Cooper insisted that the distant walls of long demolished buildings felt more familiar than any apartment or home he’d ever stayed in. Their profession was one that strained connection, planting its roots deeper in you, even when all else disappeared. Wrestling had swallowed so many whole over decades and decades. How many more would it claim before the decade ended?

Ned sat up in the bed, a hand tracing down Darcy’s hair as she slept, her form entangled in the spotless sheets of the exquisit hotel. Her face sagged slightly, familiar with frowning from countless little annoyances that lingered throughout her days. But to Ned, she simply looked beautiful, at peace in the ways she could manage, her brunette hair sprawling behind her. The bright lights of the city of love beamed in through the window, lending their color to the radiance that sliced through the shadows within. He gave an empty sort of smile as he stared at Darcy. She was truly one of the only people who cared about him and yet it seemed her life was infinitely more complex with his presence. She deserved something simple. Something stable. His eyes glanced over to the bedside table to his right, noticing space where a briefcase was intended to sit. Maneuvering himself from the bed with a gentle grace, he stumbled his way over to the window, the red light that carved the room in half, illuminating his left side as he stared outward at the Eiffel Tower.

Home. It was a pleasant thought, but not much else. He placed a hand onto the window, his fingertips softly smudging the glass with the oils from his hand. It was a reminder that he had been here, one that would be swiftly erased with a steady hand and a spray of cleaner. How long would it take people to forget that he stood in this spot? How long until they wanted to?

The glass squeaked as a jolt traveled through his hand upon hearing a rumbling noise erupt from within the cleared table. Acting with haste as Darcy began to mumble and shift, he removed his phone from the inner cabinet, quickly checking the caller ID.

Theo Pryce.

They hadn’t spoken much following the dissolution of Saga, but it was difficult to cut off ties entirely after Theo worked hard to get Ned help during his lowest moment of 2023. There were many reasons to dislike Theo, but he wasn’t the diabolic mastermind Flynn wanted to believe in. He was a man defined by the honesty and sensitivity a life of cutthroat business was unable to offer. Harsh, yes, but not rotten even though he might’ve attempted to become that way several times over the years. The thing about the real you, Ned thought, was that it always escaped. Keep a hold of its neck under the waves as you try to watch the bubbles cease, bury it beneath rubble, slit its throat and decry its name. You always return.

He answered the phone, first checking to make sure Darcy was comfortably asleep.

“Hey,” Ned began, his voice adjusting to be audible whilst keeping his volume ginger, “what’s up?”

“The match you wanted is set,” Theo replied, quick to the point as always.

“Thanks,” Ned exhaled, preparing to hang up the phone as Pryce added to the conversation.

“Do you need to talk about the Leap of Faith result?” Theo asked, that rare concern bleeding through. If Ned weren’t so guarded in the moment, he’d be able to appreciate it more.

“No, no. Thank you, but I’m fine,” he insisted, his tone only barely hiding the truth of how he felt.

“If you say so,” Theo relented, responding with some trademark sarcasm, “just don’t express too much of that emotion and shove it down deep enough and you should be good to go.”

Almost chuckling, Ned more firmly ended the conversation, feeling a little lighter after Pryce’s nudge, “I’ll be fine. Promise.”

He pressed the button, feeling the now warm screen of his phone as its light faded.

“You’re an awful liar,” Darcy chimed in, groggily as she lifted herself up, body not yet acclimated to her abrupt reentrance into consciousness, “he knows that, too, especially when “I am” becomes “I’ll be” all of a sudden.”

As she stepped towards him, the sheets draped over her, providing some protection from the bitter chill of the AC unit. Her warm hands gripped his shoulders softly as she leaned forward, looking out towards the cityscape, adorned by its bevy of beacons, bringing a gentle enchantment into her eyes as they glimmered off her irises.

“You’ll be okay, Ned. You know that. There’s always going to be other moments for you,” she assured him, imitating his angsty expression to force a soft laugh from him.

“I know that!” He finished chuckling, rolling his eyes softly at her successful attempt to brighten his mood a tad.

“I swear,” she ruffled his hair, placing her chin on his shoulder to join him in gazing out at Paris more properly, “you’re the only person I know who can nearly win something while your body is basically telling you to cool it and be frustrated you didn’t tell it to shut up enough.”

“It’s about moments, right? I just need to secure mine. On my terms.”

She glanced over at him. His eyes were always the part of him that never lied and she already saw them. Planning, adapting, reassessing. Like a machine recalculating. She often wondered if he viewed himself that way when he wasn’t forcing himself to think about it. Of course, she wouldn’t press him on something like that, she was too busy having to parse her thoughts out of computer jargon half the time, so Darcy figured he’d discuss it more when he felt comfortable doing so. Still, that didn’t stop her speculation. She interrupted his focus with a small kiss to his cheek, beginning to return to bed.

“You two have a lot in common,” she assessed, falling into the infinite plushness of the mattress beneath her.

“I know,” Ned agreed, letting the lights soak into him further, like the watching eyes of countless wrestlers before him. He forced himself to turn away, as if twisting his body could prevent the hypnosis he was anxious of.

“That’s what I’m afraid of.”

"The tale of a Savior is always an endearing one.

Conflicted history, generational trauma.

Conflicted childhood, personal impetus.

Conflicted motivations, perpetual commitment.

A Savior needs the buy in of the people he is saving, he needs their reliance, their... Faith.

The saviour needs his people to rely on him.

The people need a Savior to rely on.

The XWF needs to rely on me.

It needs to rely on me because I have what it takes to keep fighting for this place, for this business and for its fans for as long as it takes. Way beyond the cowardice retirements, way beyond the boredom filled absence of veterans who have won it all.

I, Isaiah King, will fight through mud and the trenches, through ridicule and blood, through war and peace.

I am RELENTLESS, until I get what I want, until I'm seated on my throne carrying this locker room with me. My rule will be full of ABUNDANCE not showmanship, of rigour not complacency.

I will save this business and take it to heights it's never been before.

I will, I AM, sharpening every opponent, making every prey faced die or improve through my refining fire.

Ill purify them step by step, I'll be the sieve the talents here will have to force themselves to face.

Like a crucible, everything sent my way will only grow better, stronger, purer.

That is who I am and that is who I will continue to be, before the face of weakness, I will prevail. Before the face of strength, I will only add to it.

I am an essential.

I am destined to the throne - not by some cosmic force beyond my means, but destined by my fight itself.

I've never once looked back - and I don't plan on starting now.

I am Isaiah King, and you WILL be in my kingdom.

I simply make things better and you and I both know - this company desperately needs it."

Isaiah finds himself staring down the barrel of a handgun, a bead of sweat teetering at the bridge of his nose. Forcing a grin onto his face, he peels his eyes away from the weapon and to the eyes of the one pointing it.

He seemed familiar, as did the man still by the door of the gym making a look out. Isaiah was sure these were he'd grown up with, kids one day had looked up to him as a senior, respected member of their street gang. Today thought they're allegiances were clear - they were with a man they thought was the most dominant power in all of Harlem, possibly all of the New York underworld - Jeremiah "The Kingpin".

"What does Jer' want now, and why does he have to put a show on like this before asking me?"

Isaiahs voice was tensed, dripping in annoyance. It made the younger man holding the gun flinch slightly before a confident look crept back up his face.

"You haven't reported back on your interactions with the Tojo heir."

The boys voice quivered even as his fingers wrap tighter around the gun. Isaiah tried to get a lock on whether the safety was on.

"There's nothing to report, the young kid feels like he's just watching me."

That was a lie, since coming back from Japan, the young Tojo potential heir and Isaiah had sat together to plan their approach to locate, corner and get rid of Jeremiah for good. Isaiah didn't think the man was great at lying though, and so had kept him cleanly away from meeting directly with Tojo, lest his enemy clock his ingenuity.

"The boss is unhappy, you'll call Tojo and go to see him together... Now."

Isaiahs bow arch's on its own.

"We both get to meet Jer? He's finally coming out of the shadows, is he?"

The armed man frowns at the seeming lack of fear, little does he know Isaiah is both anxious about the deadly weapon in his face and the training time he's missing out on.

Oh and also the excitement of potentially meeting his demonic enemy face to face, let's not forget that.

"The boss has his requirements, and he'll make sure you two don't get any funny ideas…. But we're meant to go right now, so call him and make him come."

Isaiah rolled his eyes dramatically - to infuriate and distract the man while his brain ran at a million words a minute. Isaiah glanced back at the gun again… He might be able to save him-

The sound of footsteps coming up to the stairs. Was that Ezekiel?

No.

The familiar but unexpected voice of Ned Kaye rings up the hall. The man at the door calls out to warn the gunman, the little distraction is enough.

With quick bend of the knees Isaiah slams his heel into the shin of his assailant. A sickening crunch followed by a scream make him drop the gun. Isaiah catches it before it hits the floor and potentially kills someone accidently - the safety was off it seems. Idiots.

Neds footsteps speed up just as Isaiah turns the gun on the guy in the door - just then Ned peeks through the door.

"That's some Hella good time, but what the fuck is my next opponent doing here?"

Ned's nervous eyes flicker from door guy to the shin massacre that's still sent him into pain shock.

"Regardless, you really saved my ass there."

"That's what I came to tell you actually.. hey there… Partner."

"It takes balls to be a hero.

The kinda balls that's will to put your own life at risk.

The kinda balls that it takes to risk it for the sake of something bigger, more important than yourself.

For ideals, for progress, for good.

And my opponents… Despite the awful taste this tag match leaves in my mouth, are… Heroes, at least according to themselves.

The genuinely fight evil! They rid the streets of the stench of crime, and then come here and beat the shit out of a series of less than desirable wrestlers.

But that's not enough to be a hero, is it?

They're at least like the neighbourhoodm watch, but without a proactive drive towards something truly better… without a hope for not just a crimeless XWF but a superior, top-in-the-industry company, you can hardly call them heroes - can you?

Heroes are supposed to be brave, yet they sit comfortably in a division thats produced very little of anything.

Heroes are meant to be ideal symbols, yet they leave nobody inspired in their wake. Nobody wants to DO good, they just might feel a tiny bit of guilt for being societally useles.

No, the League is neither ambitious  nor ideal. Really they're just a bunch of kids playing dress-up, taking up space in this business without actually building it up.

And people like that… Can you really call them heroes?

No, no you cannot.

Especially not when they are standing before me - not when they're facing the epitome of what it means to inspire and yearn for.

You two can keep playing your schtckk, just don't be holding up an entire division with your lackustre shit.

Drop back to oblivion and fight when you feel like it. Drop those belts and let me take them to heights you've never seen before.

Neither of you deserve to keep ruling here in the XWF and I'd happily be the one to usurp your throne.

If Ned Kaye stays safely out from my business and let's me enact satisfying punishment to our aisles paper weights.

You see while Ned and I are still singles guys facing our tag team champion - just on our own we're already obviously a while ass much better than either one of you, maybe even both.

We won't buy your cheap cooperation bullshit to win either, no.

We'll fights so hard ON OUR OWN jsut so we can prove which one of us better.

We'll make each other jealous, well sharpen each others claws, well force each other through the Chrysalis and come out with goal.

We'll outdo each other, in competitive fashion, just by focusing on ourselves.

We are a brand new duop, but together with that newness we plan on bringing change like no other - in both the places of still unperturbed water, well cause massive splashes.

No this division will get a shock of awareness.

Our tag team will sharpen each other pushing us to to greater heights and you two have the privilege to witness. Well carry this division and the single division on our backs - unrelenting before we're on top.

That's me, Isaiah Kingslayer, and while it is a tag team match, I am all you really have to be concerned with.

I will be enough to beat you - Ned will be enough to beat you… Together? We'll definitely crush you so hard nobody might even remember in 5 minutes.

Welcome to the refining fire guys, it's not too late to say no. But if you don't - trust that they'll be in safe, powerful hands."

“What defines heroism?”

“Is it masks and martial arts? Cowls and capes? It seems like every few months, somebody hops in insisting that’s what it is. Not to bash Ruby or anything, but even she created a brand name cereal that tasted somewhere in-between cardboard and shoelace to profit off the image. And, for all the issues I have with that approach, she still did her best to exemplify the things she believed in. The only thing you two believe in is that the law shouldn’t prohibit you from punching whoever you deem fit in the face until you feel good about yourselves.”

“I’d direct comments at each of you individually, but the fact is that you two are essentially xeroxes of one another. There’s more of a difference between Demos and Charlie Nickles than between The Blue Tango and Atomic Bat. Hell, for all the fancy colors and supervillains, all you emboy is the weakest tag division the XWF has ever known. The tagmobile lost a wheel since SAGA went away and now we’ve had the “Just Us League” acting like they’re some sort of revitalization. The reason you’re called “Just Us” instead of “Just This?” is because there are no other tag teams bothering with the division. You two have the most garish costumes in the entire federation while wearing the tag belts and no one cares. And that is a goddamn shame. Heroes should inspire powerful emotions within others. The most you’ve ever done is inspire Jason Cashe to stop caring. But boy did you get a lot of inspiration from Isaiah and I.”

“Going after the yakuza only after some folks who don’t claim to be heroes did. We show bravery and initiative, you show reruns. Isaiah and I have our problems, but what we share is drive and mindset. We want competitors worth a damn and we draw them out of people. We are the forge of this sport, refining those around us as much as ourselves. The anvil, not the rod. Hell, I've got the Universal Champion barking my name because he doesn’t have the brains to understand someone else’s principles aren’t the same as his own. You two traded substance for style and have been cruising ever since and it’s done. No more gaudy branding. When I put my name on something, it’s something to try and help people. You two would endorse a gun that exclusively shot the owner’s foot if you thought it would lend you any credibility in the slightest. You are a three year old’s idea of a hero. You don’t struggle, you don’t try, you lob the lamest insults at your opponents and you eke out a victory despite making the tag division look like little more than a utility belt.”

“That ends at Warfare. No more gags, no more chain smoking enemies, just those who have bled for the things they covet and those who hide themselves from bleeding.”

"You can't run from yourself."
[Image: riNkNZw.png]
XWF
Wins | Losses | Draws
59 | 37 | 4

Indie Darling Eternal

#33 on The XWF Top 50(2021)
1x Tag Team Champion[with Isaiah King](Current)
2x [Image: CbviDqC.png] (Former)
1x X-Treme Champion(Former)
The Final Supercontinental Champion
1x Television Champion(Former)
Star of the Month - April 2019 | March 2021 | December 2022
RP of the Month - March 2021 (Void of the Mind)
Winner - Leap Of Faith Rafter Match 2019
1x 24/7 Briefcase Holder
Winner - War Games 2023(With Mark Flynn, Isaiah King, & Crash Rodriguez as G00D-B01)

All Time Career(Interfed)
Wins | Losses | Draws
61 | 39 | 4
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Ned Kaye's post:
The Blue Tango (08-04-2023), Theo Pryce (09-04-2023)