Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-29-2024, 12:20 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calm encouragement....
Ricky Desmond Offline
Business as Usual

XWF FanBase:
Some men, some teens, few women

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following)

07-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Hi all who actually takes the time to read this which will most likely be less than half of the roster.

During some skype conversations with a lot of the roster, and the recent occurrence of Neonero's departure. I want everyone to consider this....

How long does it take to read a few RP's a week?

Now I'm not saying we should all be as dedicated as management so that we can all read each other's role plays BUT I do think we should all read each other's work slightly more. Nero left for a few different reasons I think, but one of the main ones seems to be he's disappointed with the fact his character doesn't seem to be as recognized. Yes he's a champ, but I am one of those who are guilty of never actually reading a Neonero role play. So it made me think that if we all read each others work a bit more, gave a bit more rep, likes, and feedback, it would help everyone improve.

I do read quite a lot of RPs and I often give feedback, but even if my feedback wasn't to help them, who's to say their work won't help me in the future. Reading RPs WILL help YOU to improve.

Basically, I needed to get all of this off my chest so I thought I would do it calmly and all that, it's not meant to be a rant about us all being bad people, I just think we could all, myself included, take a bit more time whilst we are online to read some more work and give credit where credit is due?

You feel me playaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas?

[Image: oNSyU33.jpg]
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 6 users Like Ricky Desmond's post:
AlexandraCallaway (07-25-2013), Andrew Aldway (07-25-2013), Andrew Morrison (07-25-2013), Jason E Smith (07-25-2013), JTC (07-25-2013), Rebel (07-25-2013)
Rebel Offline
Jackass of all Trades

XWF FanBase:
Heel w/ Cult Following

(the heel you love to love; does whatever they want)

07-25-2013, 12:09 PM

I completely agree with everything you said man. I'm newer on these boards, but not new to efed role playing. Things are really different from 10 years ago. Characters are more weird, the role plays themselves are more glamorous now. I try to read as many as I can, but even after a few days, I know I'm in over my head against the likes of Luca and Aldway because I can't put lots of time into being on the XWF boards...at least for the moment until I develop my style.
Hate Post Like Post
Unknown Soldier Offline
HAIL SATAN!

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

07-25-2013, 12:41 PM

I agree with absolutely everything you say and of course everyone wants to get better and improve and feedback and all that is a wonderful thing...

I do want to point out that having fun should always be priority #1 because, what is the point of this if you are not having fun?

If you're having fun and don't improve in the slightest bit over the course of an entire year does it really matter?

I encourage everything you are saying and all of us want to become better writers and hopefully progress in this game... I just wanted to make this clarification to anyone reading this, primarily people who may be new to e-fedding, that this game is not prioritized by an improvement only standard. I know you weren't insinuating that it should be either Ricky, I just wanted to throw that out there as well. Some people can get so wrapped up in the improvement and Win/Loss aspect of e-fedding that they forget the real reason why they joined in the first place.

To have fun.

This game is about fun.

Some of you will be shocked and amazed at how better you actually write and progress by just having fun.

So if you don't improve and lose every single match, yet you are still having fun then that's what should be important.

I do agree with you that reading others work work is a way to improve. Any type of reading or writing is going to automatically make you better. This is usually the first thing I suggest to anyone who wants to know how to improve.

[Image: MGncwBi.jpg]

XWF Record
56 - 20 - 1

1 (X) Universal Champion
4 (X) Xtreme Champion
1 (X) Tag Team Champion (w/ Doctor Louis D'ville)
1 (X) Anarchy Champion
2 (X) Superstar of the Month
Hall of Legends member inducted 9/27/20 at Relentless

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 8 users Like Unknown Soldier's post:
(07-25-2013), #MemeQueen Luca Torchwick (07-25-2013), AlexandraCallaway (07-25-2013), Andrew Aldway (07-25-2013), Andrew Morrison (07-25-2013), Great Buzzard Eli James IV (07-25-2013), Jason E Smith (07-25-2013), Ricky Desmond (07-25-2013)
Great Buzzard Eli James IV Offline
Speaker of Truth

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

07-25-2013, 01:13 PM

I use to be in a rp fed on AOL.. YEARS ago.. and it was fun for a while. That is, until I beat one guy who never lost and was seen as unbeatable, and all he did was argue that he lost. They put me in a rematch and I won again.. he argued.. and another rematch and I was done with rp'ng.

It should be fun and entertaining most of all. Winning is a plus and getting better is a plus.

It was difficult to get back into it after all the crap from AOL, as you may can tell from my first match here with The Janitor. I was pretty terrible. I guess reading a lot of others rps, character development of people, and reading the results furthering angles brought my interest level up.

Hopefully I'm entertaining and not just long winded myself. Remember to keep it fun for everyone.

[Image: N1KpZEA.jpg]

1x Universal Champion
1x Undefeated Trio Champion (1/3)
1x Undefeated Tag Team Champion
1x Undefeated European Champion
2x Undefeated UFO/FTW (Ark of the Covenant) Champion
1x United States Champion
2013 July Star of the Month
The One Who Ended & The Administrator
Former Owner of the XWF
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Great Buzzard Eli James IV's post:
AlexandraCallaway (07-25-2013)
Ricky Desmond Offline
Business as Usual

XWF FanBase:

07-25-2013, 01:32 PM

(07-25-2013, 12:41 PM)Unknown Soldier Said: I agree with absolutely everything you say and of course everyone wants to get better and improve and feedback and all that is a wonderful thing...

I do want to point out that having fun should always be priority #1 because, what is the point of this if you are not having fun?

If you're having fun and don't improve in the slightest bit over the course of an entire year does it really matter?

I encourage everything you are saying and all of us want to become better writers and hopefully progress in this game... I just wanted to make this clarification to anyone reading this, primarily people who may be new to e-fedding, that this game is not prioritized by an improvement only standard. I know you weren't insinuating that it should be either Ricky, I just wanted to throw that out there as well. Some people can get so wrapped up in the improvement and Win/Loss aspect of e-fedding that they forget the real reason why they joined in the first place.

To have fun.

This game is about fun.

Some of you will be shocked and amazed at how better you actually write and progress by just having fun.

So if you don't improve and lose every single match, yet you are still having fun then that's what should be important.

I do agree with you that reading others work work is a way to improve. Any type of reading or writing is going to automatically make you better. This is usually the first thing I suggest to anyone who wants to know how to improve.

I agree with this. I like writing but I have to admit that as a writer, I want other people to enjoy my work, that is part of the fun for me.

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ricky Desmond's post:
AlexandraCallaway (07-25-2013)
Sebastian Duke Offline
Registered but either hasn't added self to a roster yet or doesn't RP

XWF FanBase:
Very random

(heel alignment but liked by many; has earned respect despite breaking the rules often)

07-25-2013, 03:33 PM

More on what Soldier mentioned. I have preached and preached about not worrying about wins and losses. I've lost a lot, I also win a lot. Does it matter? No. Why? Because I enjoy what I write. We ARE here because we enjoy the interaction with other writers. We enjoy the writing. We enjoy the drama that unfolds in the reults.

ENJOY yourselves.

In the end, its JUST a damn game. Wins and losses don't matter. I feel like I'm fairly well respected as a writer and that does mean a lot to me. However, I write because I enjoy it. Not to gain fans among the fed. On the flip side, theirs also a lot of writers here that I have great respect for.

One thing that NEEDS to be remembered, is it's not always the best writer that wins. Sure, it certainly plays a role, but ultimately, what it boils down to is entertainment value. Is your work this week, more entertaining than your opponents? Maybe not... Next week it might be. In the end, does it even matter? No. Just enjoy yourselves.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 3 users Like Sebastian Duke's post:
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick (07-25-2013), Andrew Aldway (07-25-2013), Great Buzzard Eli James IV (07-25-2013)
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick Offline
Waves don't die.

XWF FanBase:
Women and gay men

(physically attractive male on every level; can seduce you; that disarming smile; those bedroom eyes)

07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Yeah, gotta agree with everything said by Duke and Soldier. I think that a lot of people tend to get caught up in the competition edge of things, wanting to win matches is what everyone wants to do (If anyone here says that they don't want to win, they're lying, end of story) but at the end of the day, it really is a game. Games are supposed to equal fun, win or lose.

Whether or not people win, lose, or draw should really be a secondary matter. Getting too far into that train of thought can often lead to what I, in my years and years of experience of E-Fedding would call "Swift Ion" disease, and you could find yourself not really knowing why you signed up. Not to win imaginary titles and be in fake main events (even though I know it's still real to Duke, dammit!) but to have fun.

At the end of the day, the time you stop finding it fun to be here and write, and you really just want to be wrapped up in wins and losses, you've lost why you're here.

And that, is no fun for anyone.

TL;DR: Have fun. Enjoy what you write, even if it doesn't nab you a win. As a wise man once said, self satisfaction kicks the sting of a loss in the ass (even though that wise man didn't really know that wins and losses didn't matter to me at any point) Also, a want to improve should come as a want to improve your writing for you. Also, I don't think a TL;DR should almost be as long as the original...

Or add in new stuff...

Or keep awkwardly trailing off...

Okay, now I'm just rambling. Back to you, newscaster!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes #MemeQueen Luca Torchwick's post:
Andrew Aldway (07-25-2013)
Alex Shawn Offline
Glory Will be Achieved

XWF FanBase:
Raging Face

(heavily cheered BECAUSE they'll break rules & bones)

07-25-2013, 04:13 PM

I have fun, Don't care about winning anymore but what I care about personally is that I don't get recognition for the things I do. Like for example I made that Warfare banner and did I get a like or comment saying that it was cool? no. I got two likes total for my art, I don't want to sound bitchy but if no one cares why bother? Since i'm Alex Shawn i'm probably going to get shunned for this. I know this is ooc but I'm just sharing my opinions. I'm just a kind of guy to speak his mind. I love typing but why do I even bother when my character get's laughed at, buried and used as an example of a Job ber. It does bother me. I am done speaking my mind about my opinions. I just had to let it all out so I could feel better.

[Image: 82f7f76c-9a83-4639-83c9-ae1c0eaae15d_zps...1374510554]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alex Shawn's post:
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick (07-25-2013)
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

07-25-2013, 04:39 PM

i agree with everybody here.. this is a place to have fun and expand your writing. look at me when i came back here.. my writing was terrible.. but now its gotten a whole lot better!

i think when we ask for feedback on our rp's we should get some and not just 1 guy.. just saying

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Peter Fn Gilmour's post:
Ricky Desmond (07-26-2013), Unknown Soldier (07-26-2013)
Sebastian Duke Offline

XWF FanBase:
Very random

(heel alignment but liked by many; has earned respect despite breaking the rules often)

07-25-2013, 04:46 PM

(07-25-2013, 04:13 PM)Alex Shawn Said: I have fun, Don't care about winning anymore but what I care about personally is that I don't get recognition for the things I do. Like for example I made that Warfare banner and did I get a like or comment saying that it was cool? no. I got two likes total for my art, I don't want to sound bitchy but if no one cares why bother? Since i'm Alex Shawn i'm probably going to get shunned for this. I know this is ooc but I'm just sharing my opinions. I'm just a kind of guy to speak his mind. I love typing but why do I even bother when my character get's laughed at, buried and used as an example of a Job ber. It does bother me. I am done speaking my mind about my opinions. I just had to let it all out so I could feel better.

AS, just because you don't get a bunch of likes doesn't mean that people don't appreciate you trying.

As far as your writing. I've noticed it's gotten a lot better. More so as Mr. Radio. Keep trying, kid. You'll get there if it's in you.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sebastian Duke's post:
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick (07-25-2013)
Tony Santos Offline
Santos Glares at You

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

07-25-2013, 04:57 PM

(07-25-2013, 04:13 PM)Alex Shawn Said: I have fun, Don't care about winning anymore but what I care about personally is that I don't get recognition for the things I do. Like for example I made that Warfare banner and did I get a like or comment saying that it was cool? no. I got two likes total for my art, I don't want to sound bitchy but if no one cares why bother? Since i'm Alex Shawn i'm probably going to get shunned for this. I know this is ooc but I'm just sharing my opinions. I'm just a kind of guy to speak his mind. I love typing but why do I even bother when my character get's laughed at, buried and used as an example of a Job ber. It does bother me. I am done speaking my mind about my opinions. I just had to let it all out so I could feel better.

The banners were good work, but, to be honest, the Warfare banner wasn't good, which was most likely the reason for you receiving no comments. That's the main reason for the lack of appreciation.

You seem like a nice guy, but I think a big problem that people have with your character and the person behind it is that it's someone who's always looking for recognition and validation. Just take it all in stride and realize your flaws.

September 2013 and May 2019 Star of the Month
1x Hart Champion
1x Television Champion
1x Xtreme Champion

[Image: VIh61T5.jpg]
Hate Post Like Post
Ricky Desmond Offline
Business as Usual

XWF FanBase:

07-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Should it really just be about entertainment and not the quality of the writing though Duke?

Hate Post Like Post
#MemeQueen Luca Torchwick Offline
Waves don't die.

XWF FanBase:
Women and gay men

(physically attractive male on every level; can seduce you; that disarming smile; those bedroom eyes)

07-26-2013, 08:54 AM

(07-25-2013, 01:13 PM)EliJamesIV Said: I use to be in a rp fed on AOL.. YEARS ago.. and it was fun for a while. That is, until I beat one guy who never lost and was seen as unbeatable, and all he did was argue that he lost. They put me in a rematch and I won again.. he argued.. and another rematch and I was done with rp'ng.

It should be fun and entertaining most of all. Winning is a plus and getting better is a plus.

It was difficult to get back into it after all the crap from AOL, as you may can tell from my first match here with The Janitor. I was pretty terrible. I guess reading a lot of others rps, character development of people, and reading the results furthering angles brought my interest level up.

Hopefully I'm entertaining and not just long winded myself. Remember to keep it fun for everyone.

Did you RP as Eli James III?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like #MemeQueen Luca Torchwick's post:
Great Buzzard Eli James IV (07-26-2013), Tony Santos (07-26-2013)
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

07-26-2013, 11:15 AM

(07-26-2013, 08:08 AM)Ricky Desmond Said: Should it really just be about entertainment and not the quality of the writing though Duke?

Every judge sees things differently.

For instance, I believe on Madness you suffer a small penalty if you post close to the deadline. On Warfare, I don't care if you post 2 seconds before the deadline.

Same thing with writing. Some judges prefer a quality story while others just want to come in and be entertained for ten minutes. An example of this would be Flynn vs. Angelus from a couple of months ago. I preferred the trash talk that Flynn delivered and thought it was very entertaining, while Soldier preferred Angelus' story. So we pulled in a third judge. Don't expect the judges to use one system; we all see things differently.

That's why I tell you guys that if you want a wide range of opinions, then you should get involved with guest judging.

Usually when people get upset about a loss, they run off and gather opinions from a bunch of other people. Conveniently, those people will tell them that they should have won the match cause suddenly they think they're a better judge. My question to them is, if it meant so much to them, then why didn't they have those guys help judge beforehand? I'm not a professional writer so I don't claim to know everything there is to know about writing role plays.

And yeah, win/loss doesn't mean shit unless you promote it yourself. I believe that I have 3 losses on my record. Does anyone know who I lost to or if that's even the correct number? Probably not unless you go through the trouble of digging through history.

Duke has lost a bunch, probably more than he's won, but what is he known for? - Former US Champion, and being one of the best players in the game.

The same thing with Peter Gilmour. He gets his ass kicked all of the time but still garners more attention than anyone else in the fed. He probably gets more responses to the threads he makes than anyone else in the fed.

Another example?

Two pages of replies to the debut of The Connection

None of these guys are champions, yet they stole the show, gaining more attention than the friggin' main event. It worked because these guys took an idea and had FUN with it. Oh, and how many matches were won in that thread? Zero. It was just a fun angle that attracted a lot of attention. No other thread in that PPV even came close to getting that much attention.

Why? because people like this are having fun and not dwelling over what some 25 year old board moderator thought about their writing.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like John Msdison 2.Faggot's post:
Tony Santos (07-26-2013), Unknown Soldier (07-26-2013)
Ricky Desmond Offline
Business as Usual

XWF FanBase:

07-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Spot on as always Maddy.

I just wanted to point out that good writing is as important as entertainment in my opinion but then as you said I guess it depends on the judge.

Fun is the main thing I agree.

Hate Post Like Post
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

07-26-2013, 05:49 PM

i got my ass kicked a lot when i first started here but getting advice and changing my character around a bit has seemed to work very well for me..

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Peter Fn Gilmour's post:
Unknown Soldier (07-26-2013)
Adam Rollins

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

07-27-2013, 01:56 AM

It does me too sometimes.
Hate Post Like Post
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

07-27-2013, 03:55 AM

Actually, on Madness I did try to develope a penal system for sandbaggers but I couldn't figure out a fair way to do it so I dropped it. Ricky, the best writer doesn't always win. There is a huge contrast between good writing and good entertainment. I'm in no way saying Nero was not entertaining, because he absolutely was. All I'm saying is that being entertaining and keeping a judges inyterest goes a lot farther then simply just being a great writer.

For the record, Duke is 19-14 if my memory is correct. I've enjoyed writing. For losses just as much and sometimes even more than writing for wins.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul Heyman's post:
Unknown Soldier (07-27-2013)
Ricky Desmond Offline
Business as Usual

XWF FanBase:

07-27-2013, 04:00 AM

(07-27-2013, 03:55 AM)Paul Heyman Said: Actually, on Madness I did try to develope a penal system for sandbaggers but I couldn't figure out a fair way to do it so I dropped it. Ricky, the best writer doesn't always win. There is a huge contrast between good writing and good entertainment. I'm in no way saying Nero was not entertaining, because he absolutely was. All I'm saying is that being entertaining and keeping a judges inyterest goes a lot farther then simply just being a great writer.

For the record, Duke is 19-14 if my memory is correct. I've enjoyed writing. For losses just as much and sometimes even more than writing for wins.

I wasn't saying that the best writer does always win. I merely meant that the best writing should also have a substantial amount of weight in the judgement. Good writing isn't all about entertainment. Vocabulary, grammar, technique. I just always saw this as important when I was a judge.

Description doesn't get the credit it should. If a writer can paint a picture for me it makes me invest a lot more in the piece presented.

Again that's my opinion and yes, it is about enjoying the writing but like I said... the thing I find most fun when I am writing is making the best piece possible for people and management to read.

Hate Post Like Post
Ricky Desmond Offline
Business as Usual

XWF FanBase:

07-27-2013, 04:03 AM

Although it's like Maddy said, it depends on the judge.

Hate Post Like Post
The Lionheart Offline

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

07-27-2013, 02:27 PM

What I try to do is read as many people's roleplays as I can. The way I see it is that they have taken the time to write it, and as long as I have time, I'll read it. I am also happy to give feedback. I'm not the best, far from it, but you can learn something from any one; and also, just hearing an outside voice can help.

Before reading thread I didn't know there was a like system. I think that's a really good thing to have in place to show people you like their work.

[Image: Sig3.png]
Twitter: @MikeHarrisonRW
Hate Post Like Post