Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-01-2024, 11:58 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Warfare Boards » Warfare RP Board
PlaceMarker Trial of the Century: Cornered and Final Verdict
Dionysus Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

04-05-2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:"Fine. You said that the vandalism couldn't be done randomly. That only someone who worked on the site would be able to do this."

"Or had a knowledge of the site, yes," I clarified.

"Then you won't have a problem going through each and every piece of damage with this court and describe to me how that could link back to my client and his company."

I really thought Van Dusen was a smarter attorney than he was.

For the next ten minutes of this trial (and believe me, I tried to speed this up as quickly as I could), I went through every last bit of damage that was sustained, according to the insurance adjustor's investigation. A few people in the gallery winced when the feces was mentioned...even moreso when Van Dusen flipped to the photo evidence.

"Now, Mister Berget," Van Dusen asked, "how does this damage extend back to my client?"

I blinked at Van Dusen, stunned by the question itself. "I mean-"

"Objection," Gary stated with a sigh. "The line of questioning regarding the damage and how it is linked to his client has been asked and answered numerous times."

The judge nodded. "I agree. Objection sustained."

"Your Honor, I-"

The judge banged his gavel. "Order!" he commanded wearily. He turned to face Van Dusen. "Mister Van Dusen, move on from this particular question."

Van Dusen scowled. I really didn't feel like answering a question about the poop found in the sink. Talk about a shitty question. He then recomposed himself, turning again to face me. "So you have shown us the extent of the damage done to the tasting room, but how does this damage..." he paused, looking the judge dead in the eye, "...as a whole..." then back to me, "...connect back to my client?"

"Based on the investigation, the adjustor indicated that the damage was not from natural causes. Such as a beam rotting or glass breaking from hail," I explained. "The lumber had been cut in such a way that, if it were to be installed, it would cause not only structural damage, but would potentially cause harm to anyone who walked on it or under it."

"But couldn't that just be the wood itself?" Van Dusen countered. "Maybe you ordered the wrong kind of lumber for the project."

"If that were the case, then it would be on Southern Shore Construction to assist with the correction," I replied. "But as I said before, the wood was cut. Deliberately."

"And how could that possibly link back to my client?"

"Because it wasn't cut all the way through." There was a murmur in the gallery, sounding like mild disapproval. I think I even saw a few members roll their eyes. Gary certainly did. Looking up, I did see Charles had re-entered the chamber and made his way behind our table. Charles saw me on the stand, nodding to me, then tilting his head toward the door.

I glanced further back.

There, holding onto a three-ring binder, was Elli.

...What was Elli doing here?

Did I mention the trial to her at all? Maybe in a passing message? Had she been here the entire time?

As the judge banged his gavel to restore order, I shook my head, clearing my throat and continued. "The adjustor's report indicated that while some cuts were deliberately visible, others were much thinner, and to an unskilled eye could have potentially been claimed as salvageable for use. That was enough proof for me to know that it could only have been done by a professional carpenter, or at least someone in a construction company, and also by someone who would know the worksite."

"So you used process of elimination," Van Dusen snidely commented, "to incorrectly frame my client as a means to assault him?"

He was trying to bait me. I smiled back at him. "I used the evidence given to me by the insurance adjustor to reach a likely conclusion and met with Mister Scapelli to inform him of the damage and that I suspected his firm was responsible."

"And the evidence was enough for you to seek revenge."

"The evidence was enough for me to discuss the issue with Mister Scapelli. He knew I had him cornered, so when I left his office, he attacked me."

"Are you really going to claim that when my client," he pointed to Mister Scapelli who clutched at his neck brace, "is sitting through excruciating pain as a result of your actions?"

"Objection," Gary declared, standing "Badgering the witness."

"This man," Van Dusen continued, ignoring the objection, "has had to endure this circus of a trial because you couldn't help but lay hands on him. And you can't help but be happy about it, huh?"

"Your Honor, objection!"

The gavel rang out, but Van Dusen was determined. "Do you have any idea what this has done to the man? How much he has had to pay already for his condition? And you're going to sit there and pretend like you weren't the one responsible?! You thug!"

"Now hold on a second-" I began to say...

*BANG*

A loud slamming noise echoed in the gallery.

I looked up.

Gary turned around.

Van Dusen turned around.

Scapelli turned around...looking over his shoulder.

"Whomever dropped that," the judge stated, "please see yourself out of this court-"

"Your Honor," Gary chimed in. "Respectfully, we would like to motion for a dismissal of this case."

"On what grounds?!" Van Dusen shrieked.

Charles stood up confidently. "On the grounds that your own client just proved he was faking his injuries. In front of the gallery, of all places."

Van Dusen looked at Scapelli, who turned his head to face Van Dusen. His eyes went wide, then he suddenly moved a hand to clutch at the back of his neck, groaning unconvincingly. I shook my head. Of course I hadn't done anything. He bounced off of me in the office and was sprawled out on the floor. There was no way I could have hurt him at that point.

The judge squinted his eyes at Scapelli. "Are you...trying to cover up your mistake, Mister Scapelli?"

Before Scapelli could even answer, Gary was standing up again. "If I may," Gary interjected, "Mister Scapelli's acting resume extends beyond this courtroom. In fact, in no fewer than four cases has he tried pulling the same stunt. Missing evidence of the moment he was attacked, faking the injury only to miraculously recover through his chiropractor. He's that kind of businessman, Your Honor. To what end? Why, to scam his clients out of more money than what was agreed upon in the initial contracts. Having the clients becoming responsible for any worksite damages would naturally make any of his clients upset, then he would use the resulting suits to pocket the money and resume his work."

"Very well," acknowledged the judge. "Given the circumstances, I believe I can make a decision right away. For the charges of assault and battery, I am finding in favor of Mister Berget. The display that was just shown to us is evidence enough that fraudulent activity was taking place. In the matter of the contractual dispute, I rule that Mister Berget will be held to no obligation outlined in the contract monetarily until a more thorough investigation is concluded, at which point, should the facts support Mister Berget's claim, the contract becomes null and void. That is all, this court is adjourned."

"Your Honor, wait! You can't just-"

The gavel rang out.

It was over. For the moment, I was safe and secure.

I turned to look at the judge. "Thank you, Your Honor. I really didn't think it would get this wild."

The judge smiled warmly at me. "Sometimes you need an entertaining case," he said before entering into his chambers. Van Dusen and Scapelli slunk out of the courtroom without saying a word to anyone. Hopefully this would be the last time I would ever see those two scumbags.

There was a part of me that doubted it, though.

I got off the witness stand and walked over to Gary and Charles, shaking their hands. "I couldn't have asked for better attorneys."

"Nor could we ask for a better client," Gary replied, beaming. "You did a great job stalling Van Dusen."

"Hey, if you ask me to do the job, I'll do the job," I said. I looked over at Charles. "So what did you dig up on them?"

"Enough evidence to take my case to the Attorney General," replied Charles matter-of-factly. "Not only was Scapelli committing acts of sabotage and fraud, Van Dusen was also backing up his claims. I made a few phone calls to confirm in the hallway just to make sure we had all the right facts. That's where I met your friend, actually."

Right. Elli. I scanned the gallery as the small crowd gathered to leave...but I didn't see her anywhere. "Did she come in with you?"

"You know, I'm not really sure..."

I left the two of them to gather their paperwork and exited the courtroom. Sure enough, Elli was sitting at a bench just outside the courtroom. She smiled warmly at me, waving me over. "I guess you can add this to your win column, huh," she teased.

I smiled back at her. "Maybe. But I don't really count wins like this. Its not like we were in a match or anything."

"Oh lighten up a bit," Elli replied, standing up to give me a hug. "You had a long day and won your court case! You should be happy!"

"I am happy," I said, reciprocating the hug. "I'm more relieved than happy, but I'm still happy nonetheless. My life is moving in a positive direction these days, and I want to hold onto that as long as I can."

There was a long pause between us as we held that hug. It was nice just being in that moment together. In many ways, I wish I could know her better. We are friends, certainly, but...I can't help but feel like there's something more about her...something that I need to dig deeper into.

...That was when I heard it again.

That noise...like a crowd sighing delightfully.

I looked around slowly but panicked. I think Elli was tipped off by my movement and gave me a look of concern. "Hey, you okay? You look like you saw a ghost."

"Oh, uhh...no," I awkwardly deflected, letting my arms slip away from Elli. She did the same, not entirely convinced by what I had said. "Just...just thought I heard my attorneys call for me, that's all."

"Uh-huh," replied Elli, continuing to be unconvinced. "Alright, well when you're ready to tell me what that actually was about, you let me know, okay? I'm just worried about you is all."

...But could I even tell her about these noises I hear? 

What sounds like a crowd of people watching my every move? 

I'd sound like a lunatic. A deranged mess of a man who was hit in the head too many times in the ring. As much as I'd love to have her support...I just didn't think I could tell her anything.

"Believe me, I'm fine," I ultimately lied. "But I'm glad you're here. Now we can go and celebrate together."

"Oh great," Elli cheered in a fake way. "Me getting to celebrate with Dionysus and his two nerdy attorneys. How great for me."

"Actually..." I began, taking Elli by the hand, "...I was thinking it could just be the two of us. We'd have to wait for the two of them to finish up any other business for the trial, after all. And I could really go for a drink."

"Well in that case..." She trailed off, before rushing past me and jogging out of the courthouse. I followed behind, her grip tightening around my fingers.

While we had much to celebrate, there were still more questions than answers...

...And it wouldn't be all too long before I started getting those answers.

Beaten.

Battered.

Bruised.

...But otherwise feeling alive.

All of these emotions are what I felt after March Madness.

In the days that followed, I gave myself time to reflect. I allowed my arrogance to cloud my judgment.

I thought I could hold it together as the Xtreme Champion, choosing to forgo the March Madness tournament.

And I lost.

I then had an opportunity to win it all back and begin anew.

And came up short.

Some might say this is a reflection of the Dionysus of old; always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Coming just close enough to prove to be a challenge, but not quite enough to be the catalyst.

And yet...I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and learned from those mistakes.

I need to refocus, to allow myself to re-evaluate just where I stand.

So when I saw Mark Flynn in the opposite column to me...I knew the opportunity had come. Sooner than I anticipated, surely, but opportunity is the one that knocks.

Hello Mark. I do not believe we have formally met.

I am Dionysus. Hopefully you have heard of me by now.

I certainly know of you. As it turns out, we actually have much in common with each other.

We are both workhorses.

We are both proverbial standard bearers, being the gatekeepers to greater glory.

While your resume in that department is surely longer, for the last five years I served as that instrument...but never attaining the loftier goals.

And with a new champion comes new challengers, new opportunities to climb up the ranks.

Should I fear you? Perhaps.

But I do not fear you.

Instead, I feel kinship.

Perhaps, even, I feel grateful to be competing against you now. To be considered an up-and-coming contender squaring off against the measuring stick for just such an occasion. I'm not going to sit here and arrogantly claim that I will be the rare exception to your streak of besting the rising stars. After all, history has shown to not be in my favor.

However, I will say that as one of the quickest rising stars from the previous year, I have only been on an upward trajectory.

No loss of momentum.

No loss of pride in losing a good fight.

And when I do lose, I look at what I could have done differently, circumstances notwithstanding. When it comes to our own shortcomings, often we miss the forest for the trees. For me, it is still getting a handle of knowing what my worth truly is.

And for you, Mark Flynn?

Why, it is this incessant need to contradict yourself.

Now I'm sure you would like examples of this, and I am more than prepared. In one breath, you proudly proclaim how insignificant you see yourself in the architecture of XWF. And yet, your resume speaks for itself. A World championship. Multiple runs with the Xtreme title and the tag titles with various partners. Sure, you may have felt like you needed to fight tooth and nail to attain these goals...

...But then why proudly boast of your exploits with the up-and-comers? Is it to show "a joke like me" can beat the rising stars, so they mean even less? And what does this attitude mean for your own accomplishments? Are they now meaningless because in your eyes, you are worthless?

It saddens me to see yourself value your accolades so lowly.

I can respect that you can rush back with fire and brimstone, ready to take on the world and show these whippersnappers that Mark Flynn still has fight in him. You gallantly charge forward, ready to cement yourself into the future of XWF. And honestly, I welcome that attitude in the new era.

...But I should also be quick to remind you that you yourself are a relic of the past.

That is not to be taken with offense. After all, relics are desirable and highly valuable in the right circles. Many gather to look upon them in awe, admiring the craftsmanship and wondering just how they came to be.

A relic, however, is a delicate thing; the preservation of its own history becomes paramount. And it is only a matter of time before that relic is secured permanently, never to see the light of day again.

Now, I'm not intending to put you on that shelf. Just something to consider:

If you are truly looking to be a fixture in the future of XWF, then you are also prepared to take whatever lasting damage may come to you. And believe me, I intend to do what damage I can. I can tell you have a deeper drive to keep the fight going.

And it is that spirit that I welcome into the future of XWF.

For I AM its future.

And there is much that can be learned...from its past.

[Image: Many-Faces.png]
1x XWF Xtreme Champion (November 2023)
2x XWF Television Champion (May/August 2023)
2x RP of the Month (March/October 2023)
2023 Rookie of the Year
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Dionysus's post:
King Kieran (04-06-2024), Thaddeus Duke (04-06-2024)