Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-08-2024, 08:25 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation »   » Archives » Free For All 2024 RP Boards
The Measure Of Success (Posted for our Mystery Participant)
Theo Pryce Offline
King of Kings
Management Lv. E-Rex

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

01-27-2024, 04:16 PM

*CRACK!*

“HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH!!!”

A jolt of unbearable pain surges through the nerves of the young man, which sends him crumpling to the cold stone floor. As he rises to a knee, in his ears rings a chilly, inflexible voice. Its monotone sound only makes the pain even sharper.

“You already know what it takes to earn your absolution. Even though you’d return, nobody shall believe your intentions or even acknowledge you as worthy. Therefore, there is no choice for you but to face the needle’s pain!”

*CRACK!*

“UWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!”

One more time, unspeakable pain runs through the veins of the man, and again he is sent to the floor. As he stirs once more, the only thing he can see in front of him is a figure clad in pure gold. As it points at him, he can only make out a long, crimson fingernail, its shape almost like the stinger of a scorpion.

But the man rises again, not with difficulty, defiance in his eyes showing through his clouded vision.

“N-no matter how many times you sting me, I will always get up!”

*CRACK!*

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!”

With another sting comes another surge of pain, and the young man again falls to the stone floor. It is considerably harder for him to stir this time, but nevertheless, after what seems like an eternity, he gets to his feet once more.

“The Scarlet Needle of Scorpio stings fifteen times. It leaves an almost imperceptible mark, but it causes a maddening pain. Most victims of the Needle go mad or die before they make it to the fifteen sting. I wonder, which will it be? Here it comes once more!”

*CRACK!*

“GGGGGRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!”

The fourth blow brings the young man to the floor again, but the first thing he sees when he laboriously sprawls and pushes himself off the ground once more is red. Droplets of blood on the ground form into a stream that emanates from the tiny little stings dotted through the simple grey robes he wears - now stained with his life’s blood.

“The needle has finally drawn blood. Your senses will start to dim, and in mere moments, you will be bleeding out. Do you still want to continue down this path?”

As the stung man rises yet again, he lets out a cry - perhaps of pain, perhaps of defiance.

“Do your worst…!”

“As you wish. Now take the final blow. The final needle sting, the Antares, will hit your vital pressure point and bring you to your end.”

The gold-clad figure points at him again, drawing their hand back and rushing at him full speed.

“HERE IT COMES! SCARLET NEEDLE, ANTARES!”

And as the bleeding man can do nothing but stand and face it up front, his doom comes upon him…

*CRACK!*

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“GASP-!”

A young man is suddenly and abruptly woken in the dead of the Osaka night. Nothing can be heard

“Damn it… it’s that dream again.”

As he sits upon his bed, Raion Kido sighs in exhaustion, beads of cold sweat streaming down his face. The faint light of dawn begins to appear in the still dark sky over his apartment in Osaka, but the city is still asleep.

Rubbing his aching eyes, the former XWF double Champion gets up, carefully trying not to upset his life partner Ryleigh Dixon. He throws on a black T-shirt and slips into his faded blue jeans, and takes a gaze at the golden box that rests in a corner of the room, a box that bears the visage of a lion.

“... I suppose we cannot escape our fate, can we?”

Somewhat gingerly and with a swimmy head, Raion heads to the kitchen to make breakfast. He could certainly use a cup of coffee, and besides, it will be ready for when Ryleigh wakes up. The young Osaka wrestler sets the table for two, as carefully and silently as he can, but it isn’t long before a sweet voice calls to him.

“Raion… you’ve woken up early again. How many times has it been this week?”

The Lion turns towards Ryleigh, and a sad smile appears on his face.

“... I don’t know, love. I lost count. I’m probably going to bed too early, is all.”

Ryleigh approaches him and places a hand on his shoulder, at which the Raion is frozen in place.

“You always sound so strong when you’re trying to hide what’s really happening to you.”

The former XWF wrestler nods silently, acquiescing to his girlfriend’s unspoken request, and moments later, they are greeted by the dawn’s early light as they sip their respective mugs of coffee.

“It’s the same nightmare every time. I get hit by a needle that brings me pain all over, and I get bled out, until there comes the final blow and I always wake up after. It’s a Saint Seiya thing - the Scarlet Needle is a venomous attack that sends pain through the victim’s entire body. Scorpio Saint does that.”

The Crown Jewel of the Dixon Family takes her hand to her chin.

“It seems like the bleeding is you trying to purge something… like you have something within you that you need to cast out. So let’s explore that. Is it guilt, or shame?”

Raion closes his eyes, and when he opens them, he looks like the weight of the entire world is loaded upon his shoulders - broad and solid, for certain, but not enough for such a weight.

“It’s always that damnable night with Corey Smith and Dolly Waters. The night I lost the XWF Universal Title.”

“So why not go back?”

“It’s been a while now, Ryleigh. I’m good now where I am. I’ve earned enough to make a living without coming back to the ring, I’ve left my mark at least somewhere in wrestling, I’ve reached the top more than once. I think I could leave it all behind with no regrets.”

“I’d believe that, love, if it weren’t for the fact that you keep having nightmares.”

Raion nods, eyes closed once more.

“Point, love. But they’ll eventually fade, I’m sure.”

Ryleigh Dixon shakes her head no.

“It has been six months from that match. In the history of the XWF, you’re still one of its heroes - and a great one at that. You should be proud, not guilty or shameful.”

“No, love. It isn’t losing the title. It’s about how I lost it. My entire world was unraveling by then, and I wasn’t able to do anything to prevent it. A hero wouldn’t have let it come to that.”

When he gazes at her, there is anger in her eyes, though not directed at her.

“A hero would have done better.”

Ryleigh moves in and wraps Raion in her arms, and as she does so, the sun now shines over both of them through the window of your kitchen.

“My love, please. Don’t let that haunt your mind - you deserve better than living in shame. And I think that I’m not the only one that feels this way.”

*BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!*

“Saint Seiya! Shônen wa minna…”

Almost as if she finishes speaking, Raion Kido’s phone starts ringing. His eyes go wide open as he sees the caller ID, but he immediately answers.

“Mr. Pryce?”

“Kido. Get your ass back in the XWF. Cashe is back to calling me every time he goes to the toilet and I’m starting to suspect he stuffs himself with laxatives just for that purpose. Smack him silly for me, will you?”

“... Does he even need laxatives?”

“Point taken, but Cashe aside. You’ve been moping around for half a year.”

“Ah, I wish I still could, sir, but I don’t think that’s possible.”

“Why not?”

“...”

Only silence is in the line as Raion hesitates to answer.

“Kido? You there?”

“Ahh, yes. Because… I don’t think I am worthy, sir.”

“Oh, this will be nice. What’s come over you, Kido? You’ve done in two years what many people have failed to do their entire careers. Having lost to Corey Smith does not change who you are.”

“It isn’t just losing the XWF Title, sir. I lost it before and won it back.”

“Then what is it?”

A sigh precedes Raion’s response.

“Because, sir, the road to that, had my mind frayed. Every time I gave it my all and at the end, it just wasn’t enough. The others picked up. Isaiah King, Sarah Lacklan, Jenny Myst, Cashe himself, and that’s why he stopped caring about our tag team.

All I did, and where did it get me? I got crushed under the weight of my own head.

That’s why I figured I’d just take a break, and now, six months later… I look back, and somehow I don’t want to.”

“Then look forward, Kido. There’s an event on the 28th. 30 people, and I’m saving a slot for you. No excuses.”

“I’m sure the moment they see me coming they’re going to be out for blood.”

“It’s a Free-for-All. You want to pay in blood? You just got your wish. Just make sure you show up here, and that any blood on you belongs to someone else.”

The call ends, and the Lion is left staring at his phone, somewhat dumbfounded.

“My Lion? Is everything okay?”

Raion looks at Ryleigh.

“That was Theo Pryce. He wants me to come back too. I find it strange that he called just as you were telling me about it…”

The Crown Jewel of the Dixon Family adopts a puzzled expression.

“I know, right? Quite… unusual, I would say.”

They stare at each other for a short while, and both break out into laughter.

“You always sound so cute when you’re playing coy.”

He looks at the golden box at his room once more, and, perhaps by the light of the morning sun, it seems to be shining with a pale glow…

“But it might be time to find out whether this Lion still has fangs. Perhaps… I may even begin to sleep soundly once more.”

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Now take the final blow! SCARLET NEEDLE, ANTARES!...”

The Lion grits his teeth and waits for his doom…

*CRACK!*

“... What?”

But as the blow hits, he feels but a soft touch. Soon he can move his loosening limbs. He can breathe in deeply for much needed air, he can feel the tastebuds on his tongue, and he can hear the voice that tormented him go from coldly monotone to warm, and even friendly.

“I’ve hit your vital pressure point. That will stop the bleeding, and your senses will eventually go back to normal. The Goddess pleaded with me to stop, but she always knew you’d pass the test.”

He still cannot make out who wears the gold armor in front of him, but soon the wearer turns his back, and begins to walk away.

“Wait! Will you not finish it? Will you not finally strike this disgraced Saint down?”

The gold-clad figure stops, and the only thing the Lion can make out is a shake of the head.

“The one that stands before me is not disgraced, but my fellow Saint of Athena. And his name…”

But it turns back to face him, and the Lion is stunned to find his own face staring back at him - now wearing a smile that he could finally call his own.

“... is Raion Kido. The Gold Saint of Leo.”

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Alright, ladies and gentlemen. Into the fray once more.”

In the city of Arlington of the Lone Star State, there is the Caelum Moore Sculpture Garden - an open-air exhibit of stone art. Among these is an arch-like structure resembling the ruins of Stonehenge - two columns of granite and a large horizontal stone above them.

And between the columns of this arch stands Raion Kido - clad in his glowing golden armor, as if he were a guardian of the entrance of this arch.

“For those of you that may not know me, my name is Raion Kido. Bearer of the Gold Cloth of Leo, warrior of hope… Saint of Athena.

Needless to say, it has been some time since I last showed up on any ring at all, let alone an XWF one. But this is my home, it has always been, and I know for a fact that there’s people here that wanted me back.

So here I am once again, and I promise to you that this Free-for-All shall be the stage where the XWF fans shall get to hear the Lion’s roar once more!”

The arch behind the young Osaka wrestler is the lone witness to the words of the Lion, and the quiet wind that blows, the carrier of his message throughout the emptiness of the garden in the night.

If Raion Kido was to return, he should do so as he was remembered - the fierce Lion whose word was the prelude to the explosion of the stars.

But it was time to announce himself to the other contestants - after all, lions were never meant to stay in darkness.

“Now, to those other entrants that don’t know me, please allow me to introduce myself. Some might say, and not without cause, that I am a very successful wrestler, as I am a former XWF Champion, a former XWF Tag Team Champion, a double champion, having held those simultaneously at one point, and the winner of the 2023 Leap of Faith match.

Some of you know this first hand, and if you don’t believe me, you may ask “Deathproof” Corey Black about our match in the Denzel Porter Invitational. You may also ask some of the XWF’s own talent present what happened to them when they felt the Lightning Bolt strike their hearts - look no further than Bobby Bourbon and Thunder Knuckles.

But as I look at the rest of the people that have signed up to get a taste of blood, I ask you all, what is the measure of success?”

A brief silence follows, as Raion shrugs his shoulders. Whatever he might have achieved in the past, this was a new time, and a new event.

And even though the stars in the sky, and the constellation that gave Raion his path in life are eternal, it was also time to show that this was a new Lion - and that his new fangs were made to draw blood.

“Is it the amount of titles and achievements one holds throughout their career,as with B.O.B. D or whatever name he goes by these days, or the good Dr. Louis D’Ville? Is it reaching the pinnacle of heights in a promotion, as with XWF Hall of Famer Centurion? There’s people here that have achieved that degree of success elsewhere as well: Johnny Bacchus and Spencer Adams in Action Wrestling, Matt Knox in PWA, Sebastian Everett-Bryce and Sloane Taylor in UGWC, or Kaya Parker in Zion.

And for every one of them, myself included, there is another side to that coin. With that success comes pressure, a pressure that, sooner or later, no matter how long it takes, will lead everyone to buckle under its weight. That is what occurred to me, and there is no way for me to turn back time.

Therefore, this is the only way I have to pay for my failure of the past - in blood. For only through failure can we achieve success - and that shall be the terms by which the winner of this Free-for-All is ultimately decided.”

The Lion points towards the camera, a mischievous glint now glowing in his eyes. Plenty of talent from around the wrestling world would gather at this event, and the former double Champion was not about to speak about what occurs in promotions from which he is not part.

But was it not his duty, as a homegrown XWF talent, to show these people exactly what they were up against? It would be rude, after all, to leave them with the wrong impression - even if giving them the right one meant they had to bleed.

Of course, the ultimate aim of Raion Kido is to achieve success - so it is time for him to get back to focus on his goal.

“Is success the ability to persist in the imaginaries of the thousands in attendance and the millions watching at home, as with Jason Cashe, as strange as that would sound in a man of his dubious stature? To stay a household name despite the passage of time as with Barney Green? To cultivate a certain ever-lasting image that brings recognition, as with Cypher or the Enigma?

Is it tenacity like that of RL Edgar? Is it the drive to succeed that Crash Rodríguez, and Mark Cross have?  Or perhaps it is resiliency despite adversity and the passage of time, as with Dick Drizzle or the DadBod.

Some might very well say it is so, and yet there is another side of the coin for which to look - for every drop of success there is a greater one of failures. And this too is something about which I can tell you - because it was a long time that it took me to achieve my first success in the XWF, and against great adversity that I regained the XWF Universal Title after having lost it.

But rather than marks of shame, those failures can be turned into badges of honor, for at the end of the day, they are the proof that we have fought, and that we lived to tell those stories, and that we lack not the courage to fight the same battles, again and again, until we finally succeed.

And for that, members of the audience, is why I stand before you today - for this is the one battle I intend to fight, and to win, if it shall serve as proof that at the bottom of failure lies success - even should it take until your very last drop of blood.”

As the Lion’s teeth peel back in a snarl, his canines are now on display - canines that had not seen action in quite some time.

This was the moment to sharpen them in the flesh of those who would stand between him and his return, and to his ultimate goal.

To be the best wrestler that the XWF could possibly desire.

“Perhaps success is dedicating entirely to being the best in what one does within the ring, as with the Sean Parker’s airborne skills, or as I know first hand with Mark Flynn’s mastery of technical wrestling. Perhaps it is also staying true to one’s nature despite the entire universe being against you, as would be the case with Dickie Watson.

There are some people that equate success with notoriety, and will do anything to get noticed no matter the consequences, as is the case with Slade Durant, Joe Montuori, this Shazz Nasty woman, or Noah Jackson’s constant spewing of expletives, or Kieran King’s endless antagonizing of whomever he happens to fixate upon at any given moment. Success despite all consequences and against the world. As disgusting and abhorrent as I find it, it works for them, and that’s enough.

And yet the other side of that coin is the ability to back up whatever claims they make, and that is something in which they almost often fail. I don’t need to look very far behind to see - just ask Shazz Nasty what happened when she tried to antagonize a fellow wrestler on account of their gender identity, and why she has been quiet ever since.

In this, at least, I can claim that every statement that the voice of the Lion has ever pronounced has been nothing but the absolute truth - and that, when called upon to defend it, I always have, for I have never needed controversy in order to elevate myself. When it comes to Raion Kido, there is only my voice, my words, and the power of the cosmos that I hold within my soul, as do all of us.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is yet one more motive for which I am coming to the Free-for-All. Because unlike all of you, every statement made by the Lion is written,and backed up with blood - and come January 28th, I shall have made certain that this sentence I have pronounced upon you is signed with yours.”

This time, the Lion throws a punch at the camera. Notoriety, controversy and scandal may be what works for this group of misfits, but as long as he stands, they shall not succeed.

For it was time for Raion Kido to show that his return in the XWF would not be in vain. Not after his own shame.

Redemption was his goal, everything that stood in his way be damned - especially the likes of King or Jackson.

“For those of you that do know me, these words may seem strange, but you know what? There is an ultimate truth at the end of this all. I’ve never really believed in a bloodless fight. What value is there in leaving a fight unscathed? It merely means that an opponent did not even have the skill to leave a lasting mark. It’s the hits we take, the scars we bear after our battles, are the true marks of valor, and we should wear them proudly, because it means we fought, and we came out of it.

And that, more than anything, is to me the measure of success. For it is through earning those scars and taking the blows, and hitting back, that everything else follows. That dedication to our craft, the recognition that we earn and the accomplishments we achieve, all of that comes from having bled.

But here, my friends, is where the ultimate meaning of success shall be redefined.”

The Lion throws back the white cape behind his Gold Cloth. Much as he would not mind bleeding if it meant everyone else went down, the goal was to be the only one whose blood would not run.

And if that is what had to be, then so be it.

For in the end, nothing else matters.

“Because among all 30 entrants today, the only measure of success shall be not who’s left standing when the final bell has rung, but the one whose body sheds no blood. It’s my blood or all of yours, and I’ve already done too much bleeding on the inside to come back to the XWF to let anyone down.

So this Free-for-All, ladies and gentlemen, is my form of absolution. Either I shall pay for my absence in blood, or the blood of all of you shall be the way I earn my redemption. But the outcome be damned, there is only one reality. One way or another, you shall learn of one of the greatest wrestlers that has ever graced this company, and you shall see him right in front of your eyes - perhaps the last sight you see before you end up seeing red once you have tasted the Lion’s fangs.

And when that happens, and when I am the last left standing, all of you can take pride in the fact that your blood was drawn by the fangs of the Lion himself, and that you live to tell the tale. You may consider that a badge of honor, and a mark of valor, but for me, it will have meant the true price to pay for my return, and the true measure of success. For as it was once said, my friends, success is measured in blood.”

Teeth gritted, fists clenched, and a ferocious snarl in his face, the Lion accompanies his final words with a thumb dragged across his throat.

In the waning gibbous moon, the gold armor in which he is clad glints with a subdued, almost dark shine.

“Yours, or your enemies’.”

Fade to black.

4000 words (wordcounter.net)

[Image: XCwEiv2.png]
Edit Hate Post Like Post