Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-01-2024, 10:39 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Warfare Boards » Warfare RP Board
Pilot, Pt. 2
Dionysus Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

06-16-2023, 09:46 PM

TICK

TICK
TICK

I looked at Dr. Elbrook.

He looked at Daniel. Then at Devin. Then at Wide Dio.

Thank god he wasn't eating anything.

I called Elbrook for an emergency appointment, implying over the phone that I really needed to explain in person what the issue was. Daniel was in the midst of an identity crisis. Understandable, considering he was willed into existence only a few short weeks ago. We all went together, Devin and Wide Dio tagging along to provide support for Daniel. When we arrived, Elbrook's face was a mix of bewildered and ecstatic. I wondered how long it would take for him to start making multiple personality disorder jokes during our session. Once we all sat down, I described the events that led to these men being with me; Dolly's urgent call after our last session, the flight and crash in Egypt, navigating the forests into the temple, surviving a pit trap...though the details I left fuzzy...and ultimately meeting The Wishmonger, who had split us apart like this.

All while I was talking, Elbrook was frantically writing down everything I had said. I would not be surprised to find out later on that he had recorded the conversation just to see if he could remember everything. Once I had finished recounting the story, Elbrook set his pen and pad on the table before me, then leaned back in his chair, looking exhausted from all that writing. "Well Dionysus...you do try to keep me on my toes, don't you?" He finally said after collecting all of his thoughts.

All I could do was shrug. "You're telling me; my life has been changed dramatically by this," I replied. "These guys are...well, I suppose I could call them brothers," I paused to clap Daniel on the shoulder, who was sitting next to me on the sofa. He gave a thin smile while both Devin and Wide Dio nodded in approval. "I just want to look out for them, y'know?"

"Well, they are also just as much a part of you as you are part of them," Elbrook noted. "Have you noticed any changes in your own behavior compared to...the others?" I could tell that Elbrook was not yet comfortable referring to these guys as my brothers.

"If I'm being truthful," I said thoughtfully, "I haven't really noticed much change in my own demeanor. But then again, I have been diverting most of my attention to the others and making sure they're good." I turned to face Wide Dio, who was leaning up against the door. "Wide Dio over there seems fine so long as he is fed." I gestured toward Devin, who settled on the corner of Elbrook's desk. "Devin is pretty easygoing and, while also confused by all of this, is willing to go with the flow and see what happens." I turned my gaze to Daniel. "Its just Daniel here who seems to not yet be on board with all of this."

"Thank you, Dionysus," Elbrook said, "But now I'd like to ask you some questions, Daniel."

Daniel looked up, shocked. "W...why me?"

"If I am hearing correctly, you seem to not really be on the same wavelength as your...fellows, yes?"

"It isn't so much that," Daniel answered, shaking his head in disagreement. "Its just..." I noticed him clasp his hands into his lap, exactly the same way I do. Even down to crossing his thumbs over each other and rubbing them in nervousness. "I mean, think about the position I'm in here, doc. One minute I don't exist. The next minute I'm willed into being, and suddenly I'm just expected to go along with everything he says?" He looked at me, and for the first time since he appeared, Daniel's eyes were filled with hurt. "No offense, Dio, but...I have my doubts, y'know? I don't even know what kind of man I am. I don't know if I want to be tethered to your life."

I started to reply, but Elbrook cut me off. "Let him finish, Dionysus," Elbrook commanded. I nodded, keeping my mouth shut. "Please continue, Daniel."

"I want to see the world for what it is. To smell, to taste, to touch...to experience. And if I am bound to your service, I don't think I can do any of those things. It all just feels so...permanent," Daniel expressed. I nodded, understanding exactly what he was feeling.

Elbrook smiled, which he usually did once he hit on a particular thread. "Daniel, your concerns are absolutely valid. And I believe Dionysus, Devin, and...Wide Dio...I'm sorry, did you really name him that?"

"I mean, look at him," we said in unision, except for Wide Dio, who said, "I mean, look at me."

"Regardless," Elbrook continued, setting aside the bizarre answer, "Daniel, it is important to know that these people have your best interests at heart as well. Since you all presumably come from Dionysus, you should know each other fairly well by now. Your own dreams and desires are yours alone, and you know you can freely chase them if you so choose. However, I also feel that this is something that you are trying to convince yourself of, because the prospect of abandoning something you have yet to narrow down has you frightened. Leaving this open-ended will give you a means of departure if events turn for the worse. It is an excellent survival instinct, but one I believe you are employing prematurely. I would encourage you to give this arrangement a try, see if you enjoy being in company with...your brothers...and see how you feel afterward."

I couldn't help but smirk as Elbrook finally came to terms with calling us his brothers. I could see the tension in Daniel's posture leave him, allowing himself to relax. He took deep breaths, almost as though he were needing to calm himself down. Then he nodded in understanding, saying, "I think I can do that, doc. But I don't think it will be easy."

"That's what we're here for," Devin chimed in. "We want you to be open with us, man. Don't be afraid to be vulnerable with us."

"A book is much easier to read once it is open."

Everyone looked up, and slowly turned to face Wide Dio. He looked back at each of our faces, breaking out into a panicked sweat. "What? I can be deep too."

The four of us just started laughing. Any uncertainty about the future could wait; for now, it was nice to enjoy the moment here. "Ah, there is one other thing," Elbrook interrupted. "I wanted to offer my services to everyone here."

"What, and charge me four times your usual rate?" I asked.

"You rippin' us off?"
Devin chastised, though there was a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

"Not at all; I will keep the same rate...at least for now," Elbrook clarified. "With the circumstances as they are, it would seem unfair of me to offer this service and expect payment from those who have yet to obtain any work. Once all of that is squared away, though, I would like to revisit that conversation."

"Good ol' Elbrook; looking out for us...and his wallet," I joked. We all started laughing again...and I could've sworn for a split second I could hear more laughter besides ours...

The following is a paid advertisement from XWF Television Champion, Dionysus:

This has been a paid advertisement from XWF Television Champion, Dionysus; building divisions. Building a legacy.

I can't say I have had the longest standing career. A debut in twenty-sixteen, a hiatus between twenty-seventeen to twenty-twenty. That puts me in active competition for roughly...what, four years? In that time, I have heard just about every awful thing I could possibly imagine being slung at me for my own ability. Then in comes Angelica Vaughn, who has quite possibly been the most genuine when it comes to offering anything that resembles friendship.

...So forgive me if I am not so easily inclined to accept it at face value.

In truth, Angie...it is okay if I call you Angie, yes? Angie, truth be told, I really am unsure what to make of you. I mean, you are staring down an opportunity to take this Television Title from me...and your approach is happy-go-lucky budget western where "Dirty Dio and the Grapevine Gang" try to take over the town. If I am being frank, that isn't really my style. See, I'm not the type of guy that flexes his influence to take over and exploit a place that can't fight back. Rather, I use that influence to broker deals that can help build everyone up. Source out to local contractors, utilize services in the area, drum up promotions when I, or any of my associates, are able to do so, and ultimately build the kind of community that everyone can be proud to be a part of. It is the same approach I take with championships...albeit without the ten-gallon hats and that ridiculous drawl.

Now that could have been a colorful visage from your ranch days, which also makes me wonder what would give you the idea that a vineyard in the frozen north that is Minnesota is...how did you put it..."more delicate." Like any commercial farming enterprise, depending on the size and scope of the operation, vineyards can match similar workloads. There is still a harvest season, the effort needed to properly treat the grapes, and time to ferment and otherwise flavor the wine. Though once the wine stomping vats are ready to go, we'll have our visitors come in and have a bit of fun to build trust in our product. Boots, of course, would be required.

But I am getting away from the main point here.

Angie, I cannot help but think that you would rather be my friend than my opponent. And if that is really the case, then I am afraid there is some bad news I must give you. All the kindness and generosity in the world does not take away from the fact that in this moment, you and I stand on opposite sides of the war we are about to take part in. And if you think I pull punches with my friends, then you will be sorely disappointed. I give just as much fight to my friends as I do my enemies, even moreso if the circumstances demand it. But why would I want to give more fight to my friends? Because I care about their success too. If you want to prove to me that you are worthy of friendship, then do not be so naïve to take the opportunity in front of you and treat it as "tee hee, just another match in the fed, uwu!"

...Now you've done it.

You made me say "uwu." Twice.

Did it ever occur to you why I not only had chosen those three stipulations, but also allowed for the fans to decide what they wanted to see? Because it gave me the opportunity to see how people would react to that situation. The fans know I can trust them with the match they absolutely want to see...but for me to know for certain what kind of reign they wanted, I needed to give them stipulations that represented the past, the present, and the future. The 15-minute classic was the past, meaning to be more of a traditional champion in the division. The submission only is the present, utilizing a specific stipulation that is to my advantage. And the two-out-of-three falls, where you must get a pinfall AND submission? That represents the future. Innovation. Pushing the envelope. Leaving the audience to guess just what else I can throw out at them. And since they know I trust their judgment in the kind of matches they want to see, I know they can trust me when I name stipulations on my own.

Now you're probably wondering, "But Dio, why are you bringing this up now?" I will tell you why, Angie. It is because I take this title seriously. Hell, I take any title that falls into my hands seriously. Because that is what a champion does; represent the division as its penultimate competitor. I may have stumbled just as many others have in my position, but I have yet to let those failings get the better of me.

I am taking this championship seriously.

And if you ever hope to be in the same position that I am...

...Then perhaps you should start taking this seriously too.

Just some advice...from a friend.

[Image: Many-Faces.png]
1x XWF Xtreme Champion (November 2023)
2x XWF Television Champion (May/August 2023)
2x RP of the Month (March/October 2023)
2023 Rookie of the Year
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Dionysus's post:
Dolly Waters (06-16-2023), Theo Pryce (07-03-2023)