Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-25-2024, 12:40 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation »   » Archives » War Games 2023 RP Boards
MFoD (Part Three): Wishmaster
Dionysus Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

05-27-2023, 10:12 PM

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

...How the hell can I hear that clock outside His own office door?

Truly unbelievable.

I knocked on Elbrook's office door. It was eerie having to come in this early in the morning; most of the other offices in this building displayed opening hours at 9:00 AM. Here I am, near the crack of 8, and the only person I passed by was the morning janitor...who had to let me in because the doors were locked. Every little noise rattled me, and the yellow tinted lights illuminating the blank white walls did nothing to ease me this early.

Of course, that attitude changed when Elbrook opened his door. He took a quick glance at me, smiling and saying "Come in, and good morning to you."

"Morning, doc," I replied happily if tired, and walked into his office. "I appreciate you rescheduling on such short notice. I had forgotten that I had made the appointment."

"It is no trouble," Elbrook assured, taking a seat in his usual therapy chair. I noticed that he had a stool for his desk...or rather, a seat without a back. I wondered if he preferred having the non-backed chair. "I am here to help my patients when they need me...provided they give me fair warning when they cannot be here."

I sheepishly sat down on the sofa across from him. "Again, I want to apo-"

"I said it was no trouble," Elbrook interrupted firmly. "I am sure the reasoning was good."

"Something like that, I suppose," I began. "See, ever since I took on this other job, I feel like my life is pulling me in different directions."

"Hmm..." Elbrook thought aloud, "Yes, I think we have discussed this before. At the time, I remember you saying you can handle the pressure. I take it you are here today because this is...not the case anymore?"
"I think so, Doc. You see, I enjoy everything that I am currently working on. Action Wrestling, XWF, the vineyard, maintaining my relationships..."

"And I recall an associate of mine asking me about you...how you won a title by making another man...bleed?" Elbrook was still not all familiar with the wrestling world. I really needed to get him tickets to a show.

I nodded. "All part of the gig, Doc."

"Well I suppose congratulations are in order, but do ensure that you are not putting anyone's life in jeopardy. For my sake."

I smiled, and it was met with one of his own. "I appreciate it Doc, but that only adds to the problem. See, I thought I could manage my time better than what I think is happening now. Between traveling for two different shows, handling issues at the vineyard, and trying to cobble together a social life...I'm just feeling...worn out. If I didn't have to worry about being in so many different places at once, maybe I could enjoy life more. But I also don't want to give up what I currently have going on in my life."

Elbrook's pencil scratchings always made me uneasy, but this time it was assuring. His diligent notetaking was refreshing rather than annoying. "Tell me, are you familiar with the story of the Genie of the Lamp?"

"You mean like Aladdin?"

"Yes, of course, from the Tales of the Arabian Nights."

I meant Disney's Aladdin, but I felt like telling him would make him think less of me.

"The Genie was this all-powerful cosmic being trapped inside of a vessel," Elbrook explained. "In this case, an innocent-looking lamp. No gold or gems, just a plain lamp. But, when the vessel was cleaned, the Genie was freed, and bestowed upon its rescuer three wishes. Naturally, the nature of wishes meant that unintended consequences would come. It is why one should be cautious whenever you are presented with the choice of anything you may desire." I gave Elbrook's words some thought. On the one hand, just having everything I ever wanted would really make my life easier; I could have the vineyard built and self-sustaining, have a healthy relationship with Elli, maybe even get a few more titles under my waist. But on the other hand...would life even be worth it without the sacrifices behind it? Elbrook continued, "I only mention it because it seems like you may have a wish on your mind. So lets pretend I am this djinn of legend. If you could have anything you ever desired, what would it be?"

"What, and you'll tell me how you would mess with it?"

"Not at all!" Elbrook reacted with feigned offense. "Simply that I wish to know what it is that you most want, given the circumstances."

"Well, if I really had to think about it..." I paused, furrowing my brow and stroking my beard. "...I guess I would wish to be able to do all the things I want to do."

Elbrook clicked his tongue. "That seems rather ambiguous."

"To be fair, it was an on-the-spot wish," I rebutted. "Fine, I will clarify the wish. If I were to want for anything in this world, it would be that I could be in all the places I want to be, without the risk of any one thing overtaking the other in importance."

"And you see now contradiction in the phrasing of your wish?"

"If I had more time, I'd find a lawyer to draft up a loophole-free wish," I taunted. "But since we have only been at this for a few minutes-"

I heard a faint buzzing coming from Elbrook's chair. "My apologies, one moment," he said, pulling out his cell phone. An older model Nokia, but still functional. I took a mental note. "Yes? ...Oh dear. And how long has this-yes? ...No. ...No, I am with a patient now, but- ...I understand." He ended the call, looking back at me saying, "I do want to apologize, but an emergency has just come up with another patient. We could continue this at your next session?"

"No need to apologize for an emergency, Doc," I replied, standing up. "I'll see you then," I added, but by then he was back to his phone, presumably trying to either reach the patient or call someone who could help him. I closed the door behind me. I let out a long breath; it was not a long session, but it felt like a weight was off my shoulders. I checked my watch. 8:16 AM. I needed to get in touch with the XWF offices to secure my travel arrangements, and I should also check-in with William about the construction problem, and-

My phone buzzed. I withdrew the phone dreading the worst, then smiling as I saw Elli's name pop up on the screen.

Dinner on you, remember?

Yes, I remember. Where do you want to go?

Maybe somewhere with fish?

I hear Sushi Train is pretty good.

Noooo, I mean like fish-fish! Oceanaire looked good to me!

The Oceanaire was one of the most expensive restaurants in all of Minneapolis! She was really looking to punish me after leaving her alone at lunch. Then again, I did owe her my time.

Okay, Oceanaire it is. You set the date and I'll be there.

Deal! See you soon!

I still wasn't sure how I felt about Elli. We were definitely on our way to being friends, but this seemed like a big jump from just grabbing a bite to eat at the pub. Either she thinks I make more than I really do, or maybe...maybe there is more going through her mind than mi-

BZZZZZZZ

My phone started vibrating.

BZZZZZZZ

I didn't recognize the phone number. Normally I would have hung up, but I was in too good of a mood. "Hello, Dionysus speak-OII!" I shouted, pulling the phone away from my ear as it kept ringing. It was the loud, piercing voice of Dolly Waters on the other end of the line. "Dolly, calm down. What the hell is going on, and how did you get this number?"

"..."

She started describing how she thought she bought a magic lamp, but instead it was a treasure map that led to a magic lamp instead. "Look, Dolly, I get you think this magic stuff all works, but-" she cut me off and rambled on. But as she rambled, I was reminded of my conversation with Elbrook. The ability to have any wish granted...even though I was not the superstitious type, there was something to this conversation. "So let me get this straight. You want me to hop on a plane to Cairo to help you find wherever this lamp is hidden, brave through all kinds of traps and god knows what else, all at the slight chance of getting a lamp that may or may not house an all-powerful genie that can grant us any wish we want?"

I paused for dramatic effect. Then I asked the important question.

"What flight should I take?"

The following is a paid advertisement from your XWF Television Champion, Dionysus:

This has been a paid advertisement from your XWF Television Champion, Dionysus. Book your vacation now, because you'll need the time off once he's through with you.

It is never a matter of if...but when.

I uttered those very words weeks ago.

And it is by my hand that I have touched gold. And in five months from debuting, no less. I'll be sure to add that to my personal record book. I have taken it upon myself to be a much more interactive Television Champion than previous holders. Not out of a sense of superiority, mind you; just that I have my own ideas on how to manage this championship. Get used to the changes, XWF Universe, because I intend to keep this belt as long as I can.

But now, a new challenge approaches on the horizon.

War Games.

I will admit, this is the first time in my career that I have had to be selected for a team rather than simply assigned to one. And teaming up with Dolly Waters, no less; someone who I went to war with over this belt to begin with. Well regardless of what animosity may come from this alliance, I intend to uphold my end of the bargain and work toward our overall team goal; victory. Standing on this team with two giants like Corey Smith and The Unknown Soldier only means I need to step up my game as much as possible. Still, holding onto this shiny belt should hopefully help keep me out of the "weak link" conversations.

But that is how multi-team scenarios end up working out, don't they? It is all about making sure your "weakest link" is stronger than theirs. But permit me to be frank; The rag tag group thrown against us comprised by the Regent of Rag-Tag, Thunder Knuckles, exemplifies just what kind of leadership qualities he possesses. It is no surprise that out of the many times he could have spoken up during the draft, his right hand did it for him. Now, this could have been a ploy, implying that it didn't matter who Knuckles would pick, that he could meld this rabble into a winning team. Well that would be a fun little feather to put in his cap...except...He has yet to win this one. Now that is to be expected; there are a number of captains that were selected that have yet to win the big match, whether as a survivor or just be on the team in general. Hell, many would say making it to the finals one time is an accomplishment all its own. That said, considering Smith has not only won this once, but twice, shows that we have a better understanding of the stakes.

I suppose that would explain why his life coach Jimmy selected Doctor D'Ville as his first pick. Make sure to grab the psychiatrist before any of the other teams when that inevitable L hits you. Maybe when you all end up back in the locker room he can coach you on the finer points of a hefty loss. I really shouldn't give D'Ville too much of a hard time; after all, I have a respect for therapists, using one myself to handle some of the...lets call them "stresses" of my day-to-day life. The thing is, I know he actually has my best interests at heart. Its what he is paid for, sure, but he would tell you his own motivations are to heal. You, on the other hand, seem like the type that would be more than willing to listen, only to use that information in your brand of psychological warfare. I can work through my issues in the ring, thank you kindly. No need to send a bill of services; you'll have your hands full after we are finished.

...Or perhaps even during, what with Jenny Myst standing alongside you. I suppose a proper "welcome back" is in order. After all, it has been a few weeks since we have last seen you. Not enough time for ring rust to really develop, naturally, but long enough that the eyes of revenge are set firmly on Dolly. Yes, the same Dolly that bested you for the belt I now currently hold. What an interesting turn of events! Perhaps this is where you will once again get your momentum...or maybe it will be a dream you write in your diary, along with how much you hate whoever beats you. Regardless, to underestimate the woman who also took down Chris Page is not a challenge I am moving away from. I am charging in head-on. So keep your eyes on Dolly for your revenge all you want; it will be all the easier for me to come up and take the wind out of your sails.

That should about cover i-Oh, my apologies Mad Dog, I swear I knew you were somewhere in this lineup. Maybe you should give your team some fair warning about the kind of man I am. After all, our first meeting ended up being quite memorable. I'm sure I left a great impression on you...though I don't remember if that impression was of my intensity in the ring, or the impression of my fist in your face. See, the difference between you and I is that after everything was said and done, you still did not realize what kind of threat I pose. You think holding this Television title was something I earned easily? That defending this will prove too easy a challenge? You want to know just how much love for the game I have? That is fine; I'll simply show it to you a second time. Maybe then it will stick in your memory.

A rabble of individual talents with the cohesion of butter on two bricks. Each one on their own may prove to be a challenge, but together I fear they will only stand in each others' way. I can't pretend that our own team dynamic is any better, but with venerable experience at our disposal, and all the momentum in the world, we will ride out victorious into the finals.

It is not a matter of if.

It is a matter of when.

And when...is at the final elimination.

See you in Tokyo.
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 6 users Like Dionysus's post:
Doctor Louis D'Ville (05-29-2023), Dolly Waters (05-27-2023), Mark Flynn (05-28-2023), Theo Pryce (06-04-2023), Thunder Knuckles™ (05-27-2023), Unknown Soldier (05-27-2023)