Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-16-2024, 03:34 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Shove-It! Boards » Shove-It! RP Board
Imposter Syndrome
Corey Smith Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

05-05-2023, 12:36 PM

OOC: Sorry the formatting in the training montage section looks shitty. Everytime I tried to edit it wouldn't let me. 

Lovely Coreytopia Florida
Days Before May Day 2

Mise en scene: Corey Smith’s bedroom in the heart of Coreytopia’s manse. We see Corey, closet door wide open, pulling out matched pieces of wrestling gear and musing over them, before tossing them onto the bed and pulling out still more gear. Unbeknownst to him, Dolly Waters has been looking on for a few moments before she speaks.

What’cha doin?

Corey spins about on his heels. Oh, hey Dolly Wolly. Don’t mind me, just picking out my humiliation suit.

Dolly’s features scrunch up in confusion. Humiliation suit…?

Yeah, what I’m going to lose to Alias in. He holds two different outfits aloft. Do you think I’ll be able to save more dignity tapping out in the red or the gold?

Dolly rolls her eyes. You’re being ridiculous.

Yeah, you’re right. Alias is gonna go for the pinfall. He tosses the wrestling gear on the bed with a protracted sigh.

Dolly walks into the room, arms folded, casting a cursory glance at the outfits on the bed. I never thought I’d live to see the day you turned into such a bitch.

Corey, hackles raised to the roof, scoffs. I’m not being a bitch, I’m being a realist! Alias never loses. Like…ever.

He’s also never faced YOU before.

Yeah well….can I confess something to you?

Dolly holds her arms out thetarically, Tell me thy sins child, and I shall wipe thy slate clean.

Part of the reason I left the XWF in the first place was because I was afraid of this exact match. Facing Alias was like, the natural conclusion of my time in the XWF. And my ego wouldn’t let me take that time to its natural conclusion. I didn’t want to lose.

…wow.

Yeah.

But again, who says you’re going to lose? Look, if I thought this shit was a foregone conclusion I wouldn’t have booked it. You’re solid competition for Alias, ‘Cor. Full stop.

You think so?

I know so.

I wish I had that confidence.

Dolly shrugged. Well, you  better find it quick. May Day is almost upon us, mon ami.

Corey scratched the back of his head, lingering in his insecurity. Yeah…I know.

Suddenly, “Boys” by LIzzo can be beard echoing throughout the room. Dolly puts a hand to her mouth, suppressing a laugh.

She’s an absolute diva, don’t judge me. Corey pulls out his phone and answers it, silencing the ringtone. Ahoy, ahoy…

…..

Ya huh.

….

*sighs* Again?

….

No, it’s alright. I’ll go get the snake again.

Corey ends the call and replaces his phone. Dolly looks at him expectantly. We have a boy here named Tyler who’s suffering from some major PTSD. Poor kid. Unfortunately every time he gets anxious he flushes a Power Ranger down the shitter.

Corey Smith, still saving lost little bunnies.

You used to too.

The statement seems to carry some weight, and Dolly’s face tics imperceptibly at the recollection of her former, more benevolent self. You know that was never forever, ‘Cor. Her voice is tinged with frostiness, and maybe even a dash of defensiveness.

Yeah. We don’t need to relitigate it. Anyway, I gotta grab something to rescue the ranger from the can. I’ll be…

And that’s when Lizzo can be heard yet again. Corey pops the phone out once more and answers.

Yeah, yeah, I’m on my way just put some towels down and….

….

Oh…huh?

….

Who?

….

Okay. I’ll be over in a sec. Corey looks up at Dolly. Do we have an XWF janitorial crew on site?

I dunno. Maybe?

Well, they said a member of XWF’s crew was already working on the toilet.

Gotta love that efficiency. Let’s go sing hosannahs to our savior.

With that, our intrepid heroes foray deeper into the mansion. After a few twists and turns highlighting its splendor despite serving as a commune for the destitute, we arrive at the closed door of a bathroom. A girl is standing just outside looking sheepish. She’s also dressed like a Hot Topic barfed all over her, but we can be sure she’s good people regardless.

Sorry Corey, pink ranger took a swim.

Oh no, not the pink ranger!

I swear, he’s progressing in counseling, I….!

Tara, say no more. You don’t have to worry about it. You guys are welcome no matter how many clogged johns are incurred.

Tara leans in to Corey and gives him a hug, which catches him off guard.

Thanks, Corey. She disentangles herself from him and jerks her thumb back at the door. But the guy in there working on the toilet? Kinda weird.

We’ll take care of it. Thanks, Tara.

Tara exits stage right, leaving Dolly and Corey standing in front of a door, and a mystery.

You sure we don’t have an XWF work crew on the grounds?

Like I said, I don’t know.

Aren’t you running this thing?

I let the little people handle the little things. I’m a macromanager.

Ah, well….

GOT YOU YOU FUCKER!

A loud garrulous voice yells out from behind the door. Corey and Dolly look at each other, and then back at the door.

Welp, let’s go greet our conquering hero.

Corey opens the door and we see a bathroom covered in roughly a half inch of water. The toilet is still brimming with water as well and dripping onto the floor. But in the midst of all this is a man wearing a stained and ill fitting work uniform, holding a pink power ranger figure aloft and pointing at it. The man looks at them. They look back at the man.

Time slows to a crawl. Unreality becomes the name of the game. Because what Corey and Dolly are seeing is simply, well….cannot be. It staggers the mind. It beggars belief. It cannot be happening.

Because the man who just fished a Power Ranger out of the toilet is The Engineer.

[Image: licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcTp6v7Sx2d8Sh8...jM3gl3wlvI]

Dolly and Corey both stop short, mouths agape, in complete disbelief over the visage of this once dead man. The Engineer, or the man who looks like him at any rate, looks at both of them, still triumphantly holding the flushed ranger aloft. He looks to Corey first.

Why you got that stupid look on your face?

Then, to Dolly.

Hi Dolly.

Um….hey…. Dolly mutters.

Corey reaches over and tugs the shoulder of Dolly’s shirt. Hey Dolly, pow wow in the hallway?

….yeah.

They both step backwards out of the bathroom, The Engineer watching them the whole way. With an awkward wave at this mysterious man, Corey closes the door behind him. The speech that follows pours out like a dam bursting.

WHAT THE…?!

I KNOW, I KNOW!

THAT CAN’T BE….I SAW HIS BODY!

BUT IT LOOKS…

….JUST LIKE HIM! I KNOW!

JESUS CHRIST!

JESUS MOTHER-TRUCKIN’ CHRIST!

WE NEED TO CALM DOWN AND FIND OUT WHO HE IS!

I’M CALM! I’M CALM!

YOU’RE STILL YELLING!

SO ARE YOU!

It’s at that point that they realize The Engineer is standing in the now open doorway. Corey succumbs to a gasp as Dolly plasters on a veneer of a smile.

Heeeeyyyyyyy….

Heeeeeyyyyyyyy…..

So…uh….thanks for…uh….getting that out of the toilet.

The Engineer looks at them strangely.

Yeah, it’s my job and shit.

Right. Righto. So, what’s your name anyway, pal?

Who wants to know?

Corey gestures to himself. Well, my name is Corey Smith and this is…

I know her. I saw her on the TV. He turns to Dolly. You’re good at wrasslin’.

Thank you! Dolly swallows and decides to capitalize on the good will. So, what IS your name exactly?

Duncan. Duncan Light.

Corey and Dolly consider each other before returning their attention to Duncan.

You’re SURE it’s not Dexter Bright?

Duncan scoffs. What kinda stupid ass question is that? I know my own name. DUHHHHH.

It’s just that….well….

You look a lot like someone we used to know.

Oh yeah? Bet he was real good lookin’! Bwahahahahahaha! Duncan claps Corey on the chest good naturedly, but it resounds more like a chop and Corey gasps and recoils, holding his chest.

*Gasp* Good one…*cough*

Corey rubs his chest to recovery before mustering up the wherewithal to speak again. Well, you’ve got a mean chop to ya. There’s only one other thing I can think of to prove you’ve got Dexter Bright’s ring skills.

Who’s a what’s a?

***HEEEE YAAAAA!*** Corey launches a punch right at the mystery man’s face….and he blocks it with ease.

Corey!

Hey, what’s the big idea! Duncan swats Corey’s hand away. You tryin’ to start somethin’ you can’t finish?!

Whoa…whoa…whoa….everybody calm down!

Corey holds his hands up defensively. Nah man, I was just testing you. And Duncan, even if you somehow AREN’T Dexter Bright you definitely have his reflexes and his strength. And you coming here now is…well….it’s dare I say it…DIVINE TIMING. That’s a shout out for you, Dolly Wolly.

Yeah, yeah, I got it, thanks. Dolly points to Duncan. So are you suggesting what I think you’re suggesting?

I do believe so. Corey directs his attention to Duncan. Duncan, are you willing to train me to beat Alias?

Duncan cups his chin in his hand, musing it over. What do I get outta it?

Name your price.

Free Arby’s Beef and Cheddars for a year.

Dolly looks taken aback. Are you sure you don’t wanna think about it…?

SOLD! Corey puts his hand out to shake Duncan’s. Duncan takes Corey’s hand in his and gives it a mighty shake. And we start….RIGHT NOW!

~~~~~~~~~~~~TRAINING MOOOOOONNNNNTAAAAAAAAGGGEEEEEE~~~~~~~~~~~

We cut to Corey sweating it out on a duffel bag while Duncan barks orders at him.

Quick cut to Corey huffing it across a finish line with Duncan perched on his back.

Another cut to Corey tapping out to a leg lock from Duncan.
And then Duncan tapping out to a leg lock from Corey!
Duncan and Corey sparring with boxing gloves.

Then, Duncan is in Corey’s corner at May Day 2…..wait a minute….

And finally we see Corey standing tall over a downed Alias!

Hold on, hold on, hold on!

The training montage comes to a halt with a screech. And from out of the ether, we hear a familiar voice calling out.

Corey….Corey….COREY!

Corey bolts upright in bed, as the ice pack that had been cooling the black and blue knot on his forehead drops into his lap. Dolly is standing at his bedside, looking concerned.

I was beginning to think you’d never come out of it.

Come out of….huh? Corey winces. Agh, my head! What happened?

You threw a punch at Duncan and it connected.

Oh.

And then he headbutted you into unconsciousness. I think you may have a mild concussion.

Oh, I don’t think I have a concu-BLLLLEEEARRRGGGHHHHHH! Corey leans over the side of the bed and vomits copiously into the bucket Dolly had already placed there for him.

Good call, Dolly. She pats herself on the back.

After Corey spits out the remaining sputum in his mouth, he leans back on the bed with a groan. So is he pissed?

He was. But I promised him Arby’s and an autograph from yours truly. The man has got taste. Sort of.

We still gotta figure out who this guy is.

Tell me about it. Dolly smiles slyly. So does this mean you’re sticking around the XWF after War Games?

Corey sighs. I don’t know….

Oh, come on. People unretire all the time. I mean, hell, who retires at the age of 21 anyway.

You know why. Corey gesticulates all around him, indicating his ties to the commune.

But you’ve led the commune AND wrestled before. Come on, Corey.

Corey rubs his head. Let me think about it. When my brain is, ya know, not pudding.

Just then, two loud horn blasts sound from outside.

Ooops, that’d be him.

Wait, wait, wait….he’s not driving a car is he?

Dolly lets in a shit eating grin. Well, I kinda also told him he could drive your Lambo as a condition of him not murdering you.

YOU WHAT?!

BYYYYEEEEEEEEEEE! Dolly floats out of the room, leaving Corey in her wake.

With another pained grunt, Corey plops his head down on the pillow. Fuckin’ "maybe Engy"…..

LATER….

We see Corey Smith sitting in an ER waiting room. We catch him just as he puts down a copy of Grizzled Sportsman magazine (why? Probably the “bears”). He crosses his legs and turns to the camera.

Hi ho. Corey Smith here, waiting on the doc to check out my probable concussion. Which I figure is the perfect time to address my match with Alias.

Let’s get this out of the way. This is not going to be trash talk.

I mean, how the hell do you trash talk Alias anyway? Two time Universal Champion. Damn near undefeated. I guess I could go after the whole “ring rust” angle, but that would apply to yours truly too. So, nah. This isn’t some cookie cutter trash talk shizz. 

This is Corey Smith coming to (Space) Jesus.

What I said to Dolly earlier about NOT wanting to face you, Alias? It was the truth. I, in my infinite narcissism, saw you as being the natural and penultimate challenge laying at the end of my career, and I didn’t want to take the “L”. Pretty crappy, right? So I retired defending my mid card title, then I went over and dicked around in another promotion for a bit (which, let me tell you, did NOT end well), alllllll to avoid facing you.

And let’s face facts. Even though you yourself were nearing the end of your XWF tenure, YOU were the last real mountain I had to climb. Corey Smith versus Alias. A marquee event if I ever heard of one. And I ducked it so hard I almost threw my back out.

So there is my admission of abject cowardice.

Corey Smith is a gigantic….Corey looks around to make sure nobody’s in ear shot…pussy…who feared Alias.

I let my ego and insecurity get in the way of what could have been a match for the ages. I denied the fans that and most of all I denied YOU that. 

But no longer. Because the match that should have happened a year ago is happening now. At May Day.

Corey smiles as an older couple pass by. They look very, very confused by the presence of the camera and Corey’s oratory. But they continue right on by nonetheless.

I’d be lying if I said I still didn’t have mixed feelings about this match. Not to mention the fact that I still consider you a friend, and I hope the vice-a verse-a is true too.

But! I’m not looking at this bout with the same “doom and gloom” glasses I was before. Don’t get me wrong. You’re a tall order Alias.

But I am too.

I am, after all, the forever boy who shared his mind with not one, but TWO foreign entities. The once dead boy who overcame drug addiction to be thrust into a battle to stave off apocalypse, a battle I never wanted. A boy who played host to a despotic rogue artificial intelligence who just wanted to watch the world burn. You think YOU'VE been through some shit?

And I've weathered it all. All of it. And I could have let it make me bitter and cold. But I didn't let my adversity win. No, instead I let it give me more faith in people, more faith in the future and ultimately, more faith in myself.

I was so stupid to not see it before. I have all the strength I need to win this match in me already. Thank you for watching my after school special.

But seriously, even if I don’t win? Who cares! That’s not truly what it’s about right? It’s about the heart of the competition. It’s about testing yourself. It’s about growing through loss. After all, losing is always a better teacher than winning. So I’m fine with losing.

Corey smirks.

But I’m not exactly married to the idea anymore either.

As I said before, I’ve been through a lot. And I’ve got the scars to show for it. And a lot of people like to say that I’ve been reliant on others for my successes. Well, that’s half true. I wasn’t “me” during Lux’s epic run with the TV title. Nor was I “me” when she won the Universal Championship, only to have it stolen out from under her by that Engineer redux.

But, there are soooo many things I have done on my own. I’ve won the XTreme, TV, and Supercontinental titles on my own. I won a 24/7 briefcase on my own by winning one of the most stacked Leap of Faith matches in history.

And then there was that one time at War Games. And no, I didn’t win that alone, but I sure as hell drafted the most ass kickingest unit that year on my own.

So yeah….yeah, I guess I’m pretty good too.

Am I Alias good? Well, we finally find that out this weekend. Because I’m not running anymore.

It’s gonna be a barn burner folks! Don’t touch that dial.

A nurse peeks her head out from around a corner.

Mr. Smith, are you ready?

Corey grins confidently. You bet your ass I am.

The nurse looks at him strangely. Corey recoils sheepishly and points at the camera.

Sorry…I was doing, uh….a thing….yeah….I’ll just…be right over…

Corey makes the universal signal for “that’s a wrap” and the camera cuts to black.

[Image: CoreySig6A.png?width=270&height=406]
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 6 users Like Corey Smith's post:
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane (05-06-2023), ALIAS (05-06-2023), Dolly Waters (05-05-2023), Jay Omega (05-05-2023), Prof. Bobby Bourbon (05-05-2023), Theo Pryce (05-06-2023)