Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-26-2024, 12:58 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation »   » Archives » "Savage Saturday Night" RP Board
The Paragon
Raion Kido Offline
The Lion

XWF FanBase:
Families & Kids, casual fans

(fighting the odds; helps others; disliked by most adult male fans)

10-28-2022, 02:31 PM

“The King in Rags calls this a Clash of Kings, but this is not Westeros nor do any of us wear crowns!”

Finn Kühn had praised the Lion’s skill, even likened him to a King, if words were to be believed. Unfortunately, he had also dared to question his legitimacy - and for this there must be a reckoning.

Not to mention Jenny Myst and Chris Chaos were still looming close, if last Warfare was any indication.

But that was a matter to deal with when the time came. For now, it was time to answer the King in Rags’s challenge.

“Besides, I have no need to be a King, until next March Madness anyway. I would much rather lead than rule.”

So ran the Lion’s thoughts as he gazed at the Iron Throne - an ugly thing, bent and twisted, made up of a myriad blades that had once been swords - that was set on a dais in front of him, flanked by two black dragons bearing the sigil of House Targaryen - a three-headed dragon upon a field of black.

To promote the House of the Dragon show, HBO MAX had partnered with the Los Angeles National History Museum to hold a Westeros-themed display, and the Lion had been given complimentary tickets. Inside, the display is very much what a fan of the works of George Martin would expect - dragon skulls, dragon eggs, and other memorabilia displaying the might of House Targaryen.

“... and here we have the Iron Throne, forged by Aegon the Conqueror out of the swords of his defeated foes. Would you like to sit on it, sir? After all, is not a Lion the King of the Jungle?”

A hearty chuckle follows from the guide that was leading Raion through the display, and from the rest of the people at the tour, and the young Saint of Athena replies with one of his own, before shaking his head no.

“Oh no, sir, I am no King. I was not made to be a statesman, and have no mind for politics!”

“So modest!”

“Come on, dude, you were the god damned Champion! You could have a bit more pride!”

“Fair enough, Mr. Kido. I wouldn’t advise sitting on it anyway - those blades can cut very deeply!”

“But then again, the Conqueror did say a King should never sit easy!”

“Ah, I see you’ve done your homework, sir! You’re a very earnest student of Westerosi lore!”

“Well, when my opponent is calling himself the King in Rags, I knew immediately where I should look, sir. But more seriously, a King’s burden is one too heavy to bear.

Besides the absolute power, wealth and honors  a monarch might have, there lies a cobweb of scheming and constant ambition. Rival claimants, people questioning one’s legitimacy, sometimes even open rebellion.

And on top of that, there’s always the show that a King must put on for his subjects. He’s a man like any other, but he must pretend to excel at everything. The shrewdest talker, the strongest warrior, the wealthiest-looking. All for a power that comes from his title, which is always under scrutiny.”

The attendant nods, this time subdued.

“You’ll certainly see that issue at the show. It plays a very big part in its setting.”

“And this is what I deal with every day, sir. It just so happens I’ve been directly challenged, and I would not have it said that Raion Kido was not up to proving himself.”

“I see. You can definitely understand what a King must do. But come - plenty more things to see!”

Moments later, Raion and the rest of the tourists are led through the display to a room showing several ornate, medieval-style dresses and costumes, undoubtedly fashioned after the outfits of the characters.

“Not exactly rags here, right? After all, a King must indeed look the part!”

“Right you are, sir, but I suppose my opponent wanted to play the Viserys role. Not King Viserys, though, the brother of Daenerys in the first one. But again - none of that matters in the end.

That’s why many Kings in history are but footnotes in a book. And if you look at several famous Kings, say, Charlemagne, William the Conqueror, or Richard Lionheart, they are remembered as they should not because of their claim, but rather, because of their deeds.

Because these Kings, above everything else, were paragons.”

“Paragons?”

At this point, the Lion smiles, and points to a white suit of armor with a white cape - the classic outfit of the Kingsguard - devoted only to their sacred duty, and warriors without peer.

“Paragons, sir. Models of excellence. Everything that a King should display, these names I’ve mentioned were in reality. They fought and bled with their men, they built their kingdoms by right of arms, and because they knew how to lead - and they were leaders long before they were rulers. Unlike the Targaryens, it wasn’t the crown that made them - it was them that made the crown.

And that is exactly the lesson I shall teach this opponent of mine next Sunday. Especially since he questioned my character - so I mean to show this would-be King what it takes to be a paragon.”

“That’s Raion Kido for you. Always the brave warrior!”

“... you just ripped that off Mass Effect, did you?”

“Shush!”

“I certainly see your point, Mr. Kido, and I wish more people these days would speak and act as you do. I can definitely see that you’re not just for show, and I wish you all success in your upcoming match.”

The Lion gives a mischievous grin once more, putting on a booming voice as he utters the next words.

“I should go.”

“I knew it!”

And at that point, the Lion makes his way in front of the Iron Throne…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Halloween is a time for costumes, as per old tradition. But what motivates someone’s choice for a costume?

Maybe they wish to be scary, following tradition. Maybe they just want to be funny, very much like my choice of Chun-Li. Very commonly, they might dress as someone they admire, someone they want to imitate.

Maybe someone chooses a costume because the image they portray serves as their paragon.”

So does Raion Kido start his speech, dressed this time in a simple black leather jacket and blue jeans, with the Iron Throne and the Targaryen banners behind him, amidst the echo of the otherwise silent room.

“An interesting word, indeed, is it not? A paragon - a model of excellence. Someone that people should admire - the very example that everyone should follow. That is, of course, an ideal - and like any ideal, it cannot be fully brought to reality.

But that does not mean one should not try, for that, in the end, is my calling. And there, friends, you see why I bring this little word up now, because Finn Kühn himself uttered it next to my name.

Alas, more particularly, he brought it up in order to cast a shadow of doubt on my name and my presence in the ring. So maybe it’s time I made sure, before Nightmare on Savage Lane, that this matter be properly addressed.”

The Lion shuts his eyes for a brief fraction of a second, before opening them once more, a resolute look in his eyes, and a defiant smile on his face.

There was nothing else to do but to let the cosmos burn.

“You did not think this through, did you Mr. Kühn?

Ladies and gentlemen, I submit this for your consideration. The self-proclaimed King in the Rags, the one that claims a status that his entire history in the XWF proves he does not have any right to claim, the one that speaks about becoming the Kaiser again, wants to preach to me about being a paragon of humility and justice. The King in the Rags that hides ambition behind humility wishes to call me disingenuous. The man who calls himself a King, the one that failed to obtain any accomplishments other than a Superstar of the Month Award, means to call my in-ring appearance forced?

I’m sure, Mr. Kuhn, that the moment you saw my last message, you must have jumped for joy. Here is a chink in the Gold Cloth, you must have thought, a flaw in the character of Raion Kido - he’s not humble, he’s arrogant! He’s not special, as ALIAS said! Alas, I suppose you forgot that when I spoke about humility, I was talking to the Celt, Mr. Kuhn. It’s one thing to be able to back up your pride with your deeds, it’s another thing to speak of humility with someone that has proven nothing of which he has boasted, as was the case with him, and apparently, as is the case with you.

Since you do not seem to have noticed, I distinctly remember saying last time that I do not make empty boasts. Every statement that I make has a history behind it, and that’s what I showed the Celt, as I showed you in my last address. So the fact that you seek to paint me in this light would be actually insulting if there was anything else behind it than a mere act of desperation.

Believe me, I would be utterly indignant, if it weren’t for the fact that Mr. King in the Rags’ strategy is not even original. Seriously, you thought you would be the first to attempt to cast doubts on my honesty, mR. Kühn? What, because I associate myself with the Trilogy? First it was Jenny Myst that tried to point that out, then it was Dolly Waters, and both found out in the end that there was more to Raion Kido than just a hot attraction that Theo Pryce attempted to take for himself.”

A raise of the Lion’s eyebrows follows the widening grin on his face. After all, he might have caught the interest of Theo Pryce, but wasn’t that his own merit?

He had come to the XWF with an impact, and even what few defeats he had had were at final matches - to which he had arrived on his own.

By what right dare anyone, let alone Finn Kühn, attribute the Lion’s success to anything other than his own talent?

“It’s okay though, Mr. Kühn, you were still shining for your absence at the time, but maybe, if you’d bothered to do a bit more than the minimal effort to look at my road here - which I assume you must have, otherwise you’d have challenged someone else - you would have noticed that I was making a name for myself before Theo Pryce decided to reach out to me. A name that I was earning from doing things like, say, beating Thaddeus Duke, or Centurion, or even, you know, winning the Leap of Faith match. Maybe getting that same award you had four years ago within my first month in the XWF.

But there’s even more than that, Mr. Kuhn! Who was it that booked the Cannabis Cup match where, you know, I won the very XWF Universal Title that has eluded you for years? Was it Theo Pryce, or was it actually Chris Page, you know, the very host of the show? Was it not him that had granted his shot to Micheal Graves when I retained? When I faced Lexi Gold and Atara Raven, was it because Theo Pryce booked it, or was it because they asked?

I know not, or care not, why you decided to target them instead of coming at me directly, but in the end, it makes no difference. You may have objections to Jason Cashe and Theo Pryce, but this Saturday, your match is not with them, it is with me - a match that none other than you sought, and that was booked because I accepted.

And when this match that you wanted ends in another loss for you after your last Warfare, you shall not have any of them to blame. Not Theo Pryce, not Jason Cashe, and not Ned Kaye. In fact, you shall not even have yourself to blame.

The only person you shall have to blame for this loss at Nightmare on Savage Lane is none other than Raion Kido, but that is a blame with which I can live. After all, I will have defended the place I said I would defend in this company, the place where last show, I have already proven I belong.”

The young Saint of Athena makes a swift point at the camera, almost as if it could touch its lens. He did not forget that he had once been XWF Universal Champion, nor would he let it, if it were within his power, be the last time.

This was part of his road to the upper echelon to the XWF once more - and Nightmare on Savage Lane would be the first statement.

“And here’s another suggestion for you, Mr. Finn, one you should for your own sake consider: Before you decide to question my character again, I would suggest you look in a mirror before prattling off the “never stay down, not now, not ever” line, for history shows that not only did you indeed stay down, you also stayed away. For four years, in fact, since you had your last match at Warfare, before you finally decided to return and challenge me.

Because I’m sure it’s hard to remember at this point, but I have not forgotten that I was the very Universal Champion last month, and that there has only been one match for me since I lost that title. Your constant failures made you fade away, I returned from my biggest loss with a win in a four-way match! And I shall not hear that same old trite line from someone who cannot prove he will abide by the words they say, for not only have I said them, I have also proven them last show!”

The Osaka native clicks his heels and throws a swift straight punch to the camera - his swift motion producing the faintest sound.

He had already proven he reignited last episode of Savage Saturday Night, but now he would show the world how far the shockwave could extend.

“But as I said last time, Mr. Finn, I don’t merely limit myself to just proving I shall not stay down, because that, for me, is the minimum required. I’m sure this and the power of the cosmos must be incomprehensible to you, but that is easily remedied; I suggest you watch Saint Seiya.

The key here, however, is that, just as I said last time, it’s not enough to just survive, and that’s what you seem content to do. The key here is to thrive, to become the best that one can be and the very best of the XWF - to serve as a living example that rising above can be done by everyone. That’s what being a Saint of Athena means, Mr. King in Rags. That’s what the point of this all is.

And that is why someone, anyone, should be called a paragon.”

This time, the Lion grins ear to ear - an amused expression on his face, though his eyes tell another story. If Finn Kühn dared question his honesty, then there was no better choice than to show him what a paragon was.

Which meant, of course, that the King in Rags would fail at his own challenge.

“See, Mr. Kühn, I too have played Mass Effect, and I know exactly what the word means. I seek not to rule, I seek to lead by example, for this Lion is not a King of the Jungle, but a Saint of Athena. I seek not merely to survive, but to make it once more to the top. Bad Medicine is coming and I’m sure there’s a reckoning there waiting for Chris Chaos, and I intend him, and everyone else watching, to see the Lion arriving to this event after dominating Nightmare on Savage Lane - and that can only be done with a victory after a challenge, as I’ve done so many times before.

So go gather those golden nuggets across New York City, Mr. Kühn. Even better, go the extra mile and gather all seven Dragon Balls, and call upon Shenron for a wish - any wish of your choosing. Alas, he shall not grant you a win over Raion Kido, but perhaps he’ll show you how to cast off those rags in which you voluntarily clothed yourself.

And who knows? Maybe you’ll reach your goal, maybe this indeed turns out to be a rags to riches story. That’s not my concern, to each their own, but one thing is certain: On this Halloween show, Nightmare of Savage Lane, the people at Universal Studios and everyone tuning in at home shall see your tricks turn into dust, and you shall become the treat crushed by the fangs of the Lion.”

It was, finally, the time to put words to deeds. At Nightmare on Savage Lane, the Lion would once more prove that his name was not yet done.

“And when that happens, maybe you’ll think twice before questioning my character again. Maybe you’ll do a double take and think before attempting to cast doubt in vague “what-if” questions.

And maybe you’ll remember that Raion Kido taught you how to answer to doubt and nay-saying, that prison of your own making in which you’ve attempted to lock me - by proving to you personally, one-to-one, that what lies behind his words is nothing but the truth.

That in the end, Mr Kühn, Raion Kido showed you…

And Jenny Myst and Chris Chaos had better take note of that - for Bad Medicine awaited.

“… how to be a paragon.”

Fade to black.

3000 words (wordcounter.net)

[Image: yfesfA4.jpg]

Signature courtesy of Atara Themis!
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Raion Kido's post:
Finn Kühn (10-28-2022), Theo Pryce (11-05-2022)