Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-19-2024, 12:33 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Warfare Boards » Warfare RP Board
The Feeling Afterwards
Steven Cooper Offline
Registered but either hasn't added self to a roster yet or doesn't RP

XWF FanBase:
Traditionalists

(has an old school wrestling mentality; no nonsense; less appealing to some younger fans)

06-22-2021, 10:56 PM

I walk a road, horizons change
The tournament’s begun

May 30th, 2021
The “Moon”
Backstage After The Hart Title Match

The image on the television was bleak in its clarity.

WINNER
AND NEW HART CHAMPION
THADDEUS DUKE

His sights set on the floor, Steven Cooper shook his head as the words rang out. The man who introduced Steve and his protege had just been beaten and morale was at the Earth’s core. Steve sat in the dressing room alone, waiting for Ned to step in at any moment. Sure, for young Ned Kaye, this experience must’ve been its own kind of Hell despite his insistence prior to the unimportance of the title he held- he had held. But for Cooper? It was like a rerun and a dire, uncomfortable memory of the world’s back turned on him loomed over Steven. After several minutes of waiting, footsteps approached the door, prompting Cooper to prepare a few words for the young man. When fate laid Steve on the side of the road and cascaded him in the muddy runoff of the streets, no one was there to pick him up, but Ned didn’t have to go through that. Sure, Avalanche were “bad guys,” but they didn’t have to be assholes, least of all to each other. As the sound of footfall approached ever closer, Steve steeled himself, doing his best to suppress the uneasy feeling of deja vu that pulsed through his gut, yet to his surprise, the footsteps continued on down the hallway outside of the closed door, leaving Coop to ponder whether or not Ned had passed by or just someone else. Being in that room felt even more alone to Cooper after the false alarm, the possibility of interaction creating a greater void in its absence. Kaye’s luggage sat across from Steve, leaned open against the wall, a spot designed specifically for the Hart Title belt in it staring him back. It reminded of the first time he had ever gone home without his own championship belt, disgraced by his company and distrusted and disavowed by his “friends.” It was the most sober Steve had ever felt in his life.

Vividly, he was reminded of his old boss refusing to pay for his ride to the airport, forcing Steve to get a taxi that ended up getting there late. He slept in an airport terminal that night, not because he couldn’t afford a hotel, but because he hadn’t the energy to get up from the seat as everything began to process through his mind. As he sat in the cheap chair that night, lousy padding doing little in the way of comfort underneath him, he stargazed above the sea of concrete as the steel vessels that sailed across obscured the blinking lights of the city at the horizon. But just above all of the man-made noise and clutter, was the gentle glow of stars overhead, struggling to break through the light interference and pollution, but managing to do so regardless. And in the midst of the beautiful sight, his mind lingered on his predicament. So many of his fellow wrestlers were quick to congratulate him when he had won that belt. They hoisted him up in a grand display of pageantry. Not a single one of them came to him and congratulated him on his reign. Sure, maybe years later when he reached out to them, they’d reminisce and mention a longing for that time, but not a damn one of them came to him about it. That night in the terminal is when everything seemed to click for him. Everybody loves a champion, but it’s a short damn list of people who get loved afterwards and Cooper was never on that last. His chances on it seemed long gone after the diagnosis he received, but that wasn’t what really bothered him now or back then. When he looked at the stars on that night, he realized how small he would be in the eyes of history. In the scheme of the universe. In every place that it mattered, Steven Cooper was alone.

As Steve’s thoughts lingered, the door opened with a violent shove. Ned stormed into the room, clearly sore and tired from the match, but reinvigorated with the adrenaline of realization and rage. He launched the chair across the dressing room with a swift kick, impressing a large hole in the wall. He hadn’t made eye contact with Steve, but the veteran understood. There was an awful, venomous feeling to losing something like that and knowing people only clapped at your defeat. Knowing they wanted to forget you as soon as possible. Cooper decided to speak up, if only to prevent greater damage to the room.

“Well, kid, you had a good run, but sometimes-”

“Don’t you fucking talk down to me like that,” Ned interrupted, “I don’t want your goddamn pity!”

“I’m not trying to pity you, just give you some sympathy for God’s sake! It’s a horrible feeling and I supposed I’d try to be a damn friend, but clearly that’s not what you want me for!”

Steven wasn’t about to get yelled at and bitched out by this kid, even if he outranked him in the Avalanche hierarchy. Sure, he appreciated his wrestling and typically got along with him, but The Trooper was nobody’s whipping boy.

“I didn’t want you as some ass kisser, Steve! Tonight was supposed to be our night! MY night! And not only do I have to deal with that worthless shithead acting like he’s hot shit for months, but I get to have you cry on my shoulder for me! Well, guess what, Steve? I’m not some one championship wonder like some people!”

Steven’s fists clenched up as his demeanor became eerily calm.

“Like who, Ned?”

He put emphasis on Kaye's name, knowing it would get under his skin. Kaye remained quiet for a moment.

“...You know I didn’t mean that.”

“Then what the fuck did you mean exactly?”

Ned stayed quiet.

“I didn’t join this group of yours so Stone and I could warm your bench while you stand in the spotlight or so that you could ride high off of Thias and curiously absent Dean.”

Kaye turned to him, a twisted grin mixed with a scowl on his face.

“You think I need you?”

“Yeah, I, in fact, do! I, personally, have been picking your drunk ass up every other night when your camera crew isn’t fucking around and tossing you in your bed! You’re a fucking mess and I’ll die before I let you use Stone and me like steps to your own little personal heaven! If you just want somebody to yell and throw shit at when you’re feeling like a child, then you can count me and my partner out! We don’t have to settle for your bullshit!”

“Then leave! Take your replacement son with you, too because we both know your real one is never coming to see your old ass!”

Cooper leaned over to stare Ned in the face, his blood getting closer and closer to a boil.

“I will and you know what, I won’t trash up the damn headquarters when I do.”

Ned’s face turned an angered crimson as Cooper began to speak.

“You really think that tubby little doctor of yours could shut his mouth for long enough to not let that out? I know what you did.”

Ned replied through gritted teeth.

“That was Ned, not me.”

“Right. You think I buy that shit, boy? I know this has to be some big act you’re pulling, I’m not stupid, Ned.”

“Call me that again and you’ll be swallowing those teeth.”

“Then take your best shot, Ne-”

Cooper began to cough, grasping at his chest, the coughs became rougher and rougher after each one. At first, Ned replied with some light amusement seeing Cooper undone by a physical ailment. But after fifteen seconds of non stop coughing, his face sank. After Cooper collapsed, he rushed to his side. A distant memory awoke in Cooper’s mind as he convulsed on the floor.

“I’m done, Steve.”

Holly Bloom-Cooper stood across from him in the doorway of her parents’ house. It was more upper class than anywhere he had ever lived, with an elaborate garden out front. Fancy brickwork comprised the house, windows excellently placed in a perfect pattern to make Steven feel like the eyes of his in-laws were gazed down on him every time he was around.

“The hell do you mean? I’ve been doing everything you’ve asked. I’ve been getting involved with the kids more, helping em’ with homework. Hell, I’ve been going with you to Kohl’s and I can’t stand that place at all! I’ve brought in money, food, jewelry! What more do you want from me, Hol?”

“I want you to be a father for God’s sake! You missed your son’s graduation to go make $60 after promising me you’d be there!”

“He’s not gonna care about that! Besides, I was working so he could get something nice like a Nintendo! You can’t act like that’s such a big deal!”

“He was crying in the car, Steve! Do you want me to tell him it’s more important that he get a game than see his father on one day he can relive?”

“It’s not a game, it’s a game system!”

“It doesn’t fucking matter and you know it, Steve! Could you not have just been there?”

“Maybe we coulda gone in the same car, but we don’t do that anymore after you decided to fuck somebody behind my back!”

“You’re never gonna let me live that down, will you?!”

“I gave you a second chance!”

“You hold it over my head constantly to hurt me like your fucking father!"

Cooper’s voice lowered, a soft sound escaping his mouth.

“I’m not like that, Hol. Don’t even joke like that.”

“You think I’m laughing?”

Holly looked down, holding back tears as she began to close the door.

“Look, Steve. We just can’t keep doing this. You’re barely ever around and the kids and I need something more than some… wrestler. I’ll talk to you later on the phone. Goodbye, Steve.”

“Wait, don’t they at least wanna see me before I go?”

“No, they don’t, Steve,” She softly spoke, shaking her head and shutting the door, leaving Steven alone. He walked back to his car, collapsing into the driver’s seat and looking over at the passenger’s seat where he had placed some Game Boy thing. He sighed, rolling down the window and tossing it out, thinking that the damn thing was too much trouble for what it was worth.

Steven had ceased coughing, looking up to the ceiling, seeing Ned try and do what he could to ensure he was alright.

“Coop, you alright?”

“I’m dying, Ned,” Steve said with a half-chuckle.

“Funny.”

“It’s not a joke.”

Kaye helped his friend up to his feet, ensuring Cooper wouldn’t fall over.

“Don’t tell Eobard, please. I gotta tell him. That’s my talk to have with him.”

“I won’t say anything…”

With a short bit of hesitation, Ned spoke again.

“I didn’t mean what I said.”

“I know. Let’s just get back to the HQ. God knows you’ll need a drinking buddy for tonight.”

“Please,” Ned scoffed, “I just need a taxi to my bed.”

The two laughed a bit before heading out the door of the dressing room, leaving the torn up space for the far tidier hallway.

The yellow jester does not play
But gently pulls the strings
And smiles as the puppets dance
In the court of the crimson king

Steve Sayors is seen backstage, looking left and right to cover his bases. After some careful inspection to ensure he’s not snuck up on, he begins to speak into the microphone he has in front of him.

“Steve Sayors here with the XWF and I’ve been brought here for yet another interview wi-”

“SAYORSSSSSSS!”

The poor interviewer jumps as an oily Steven Cooper appears from behind the promotional interview backdrop to surprise him yet again.

“Oh dear lord…”

“It’s a treat to see you, buddy!”[/color]

Sayors gulps, shaking his head rapidly.

“I can’t say the same for you, Mr. Cooper.”

“Oh, I don’t need the pleasantries, I just enjoy having you around!”[/color]

“Well, Mr. Cooper, now that Avalanche seems thoroughly defeated-”

“Oh, don’t go saying such nonsense like that! Sure, Avalanche had a setback or two, but defeated? No, sir! Hardship is good for hard folk, not that Velvita would know anything about that! Her strongest union was with the smallest prick in the XWF, ol’ Noah Jackoff! First off, I gotta wonder what she even got out of that relationship! We’re talkin’ about dating a fella who has to use tweezers to wack the mole, if you catch my drift! Whenever they did anything, it musta felt like shoving a q-tip up her cooch with a pinky cut off of a latex glove!”

“Mr. Cooper, could we please not hear any more of this? It’s absolutely disgusting!”

“You’re telling me! They’re the ones who fucked and put that horrible image in everyone’s mind!”

“Can we please keep this to her personality and actions instead of her personal life?”

“What personality? She likes pink and she lifts weights! That’s not a person, that’s a damn Barbie doll. And like a Barbie doll, Vita-Vita Meter Maid has to chase trends to keep herself relevant! Sure, she’s had some okay results here and there, but she’s second rate! She’s like a Republican in Congress! Tons of talk, but she’s not gonna do shit by the end of the day! I am happy to be beating her on the steps of this nation’s capitol because maybe it’ll wake up some of them fossils in congress!”

“Are you really in any position to be calling anyone a fossil, sir?”

“Oh, an old joke? Damn, Sayors, didn’t know you had it in ya, but yes I am qualified to do so! See, I’m experienced old! They’re just plain ancient! When V For Validate-My-Lackluster-Career heads out there, she’s not just an opponent, she’s gonna be another student of The Trooper!”

“Oh, God, I hope not.”

“You’ll see! I’ll teach VV how to lose, not that she doesn’t have a ton of experience in the subject, rather she can’t use it towards anything worth a damn! She just drops like Corey’s testicles during a Thaddeus Duke hug anytime she faces some real wrestlers, that’s losing, but it ain’t learning! You gotta take that fire and put it somewhere that isn’t the second greatest shame of Australia!”

“If I may ask, what’s the first greatest?”

“Vita fucking Valenteen, of course!”

“I’m pretty sure she’s from Canada, Mr. Cooper!”

“Imagine if your greatest shame somehow dated under his proverbial weight class, I’d call that a mess and a half. Kinda like poutine. A mound of shit with way too much on the plate. Which describes ol’ VV pretty well, to!”

“Any closing thoughts, Mr. Cooper?”

“I just want to say that I am proud to be in a country where in the span of a hundred years, women can go from lacking voting rights to having an equal opportunity to get an ass whooping by The Trooper! God bless America!”

Cooper walks off flexing his muscles as a perplexed Sayors processes what he just heard.

“An odd proclamation of patriotism, but it’s not too unexpected for a man who’s always in his ring gear during these interviews. Also, did anyone see where he came from?"
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 7 users Like Steven Cooper's post:
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane (07-06-2021), B.O.B. D (06-25-2021), JimCaedus (06-23-2021), Lycana (06-23-2021), R.L. Edgar (06-23-2021), Theo Pryce (06-23-2021), Vita Frickin Valenteen (06-23-2021)