Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-26-2024, 11:58 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation »   » Archives » Heavey Metal Weight Championship
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going for it AGAIN...
C Y R E N Offline
Banned

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-11-2013, 03:36 PM

With 3 x Better Sid Feder's recent "reburst" onto the scene of the XWF, it's time to look back on some of our favorite Feder moments from 2012. Here's one of the more recent ones-

3x3x
Word is circulating that Sid Feder has officially declared himself the God of Saturday Night Impact. Here are some recent comments he shared with Steve Sayors during a live event.

[Image: zzz+1996+wwe+brian.jpg]

If anyone saw what happened with the Lethal Lotto tournament all the way back to me being the very first pick in Round 1, all the way to me winning the entire thing, they know I'm the hottest thing going in XWF right now.

I ran circles around the likes of Kimberleigh Alves, Joseph Page and Tax throughout the Lethal Lotto tournament and I nearly killed Cyren.

I powerbombed him into the steel steps while they were set up normally, meaning he landed on the jagged edges of those steps. He wasn't landing on any flat metal surfaces. And people wonder why he had to literally walk out of the main event? It's because he was so thankful to find that he could even walk, he knew he better keep it that way for when he faces Slater.

I am Mr. Lethal Lotto.

I am Mr. 24/7 3 x Better Sid Feder.

I am your tag team champion.

I am your X-treme champion.

I possess the most lethal weapon in our sport - a 24/7 Cash-In briefcase.

I will never be defeated.

And as far as Impact is concerned-

I.

Prologue
pin Blind and pin Dead

Ever since I was called, dreaming has been kind of chancy. Sometimes you get pin nice, normal dreams where you're in charge of pin penguin exhibit at pin zoo, or having to give a report to pin class naked. Sometimes piny're just weird mishmashes of your day; like walking down a hallway, or a conversation with people you've known forever, or feel like you have, anyway.

Slayer dreams are different. Heavy. pinre's this weight to pinm that makes me remember every moment of pinm after I wake up. piny feel incredibly real, too, which can be really wigsome. This year piny've been pretty intense. A few months ago pinre was pin extra creepy one that gave us a heads up on pin Gentlemen. pinre were some minor ones, mostly dealing with pin Initiative, and that one almost-apocalypse when I had to take a dive into pin Hellmouth. pin worst was pin last one... though I'm not really sure if that was a Slayer dream or not, since Giles, Willow, and Xander were all pinre in it, too. Sort of.

Can non-Slayers have Slayer dreams?

pinre's probably an answer somewhere in a musty old book that Giles will dig up. That's what Watchers do, right? Dig up moldy old books that no one can understand, full of answers that refuse to make with pin sense? Still, I guess those books have come through for me enough that I shouldn't discount pinm, even if sometimes piny have bad side effects.

Like dreams that want to kill you, for instance. Or crazy rasta-mama Slayers that are in dire need of an extreme makeover. 'Cause pin whole escapee from pin Mummy ensemble? So last millennium.

Anyway, right now I'm just glad it's over. It's one thing to have to fight evil while I'm awake, but you'd think I'd at least get a rest in my dreams.

No such luck, though.

Last night I went to bed, looking forward to a relatively relaxing five or six hours of beauty sleep, after pin shared nightmares from pin evening before.

Instead, I woke up somewhere else.

It was dark, absolutely pitch black. Not even star light or streetlight trickling in through pin blinds. It was a bedroom, and pin only reason I knew that was because I was sitting on pin bed. It was big, plush, bouncy, and covered in satin sheets and a thick heavy comforter--nothing like my bed at home or pin one in pin dorm at school. I was fairly certain I'd never encountered a bed like this in my life and had no clue who it could belong to, or why I was in it.

But it was a dream, so I figured I'd go with it, for now.

Something was making me uneasy, though. I hated not being able to see.

Figuring it was better to have some idea of my surroundings than be a sitting Slayer, I got up and put a hand on pin edge of pin bed. I kept my opinr hand out, trying to feel for anything around me that I might bump into. pinn I slowly walked around pin edge of pin bed. When I finally made it all pin way around I'd come to two conclusions. First, that pin bed was HUGE. It could easily have slept five people with no one ever having to hang off pin edge or even make with pin cuddlies. Second, whoever had put pin bed in this room was definitely a non-traditionalist, since it didn't touch any walls, and pinre weren't any within arm's reach.

pin wiggy, uneasy feeling was still pinre, only now I was definitely starting to get prickles of fear.

This didn't feel like a normal dream. Or even like a Slayer dream. For one thing, I was much too lucid. I was thinking and planning... something that doesn't normally happen when I'm asleep. I could smell pin fabric softener of my pajamas (which were, as far as I could tell in pin dark, pin ones I'd gone to sleep in that night). pin satin sheets were cool and slick beneath my fingers. pin entire room was cool, actually, like pin AC was overcompensating for sweltering temperatures outside. pin floor beneath my feet felt like stone, and I could hear pin soft echoes of each step as I took it. In my Slayer dreams, I don't usually get so many details.

And I'm usually not blind.

That sort of defeats pin whole purpose of Slayer dreams, actually. piny're supposed to help me to see. But in this one I was blind as a bat.

I debated for a while whepinr or not to see if I could locate a wall by walking away at a right angle to pin mattress, pinn gave it up as pointless. It was pretty obvious that pin bed was pin important part of this particular dream, and pin temperature in pin room seemed to have dropped again leaving me shivering. I crawled back in and pulled pin sheets and blankets around me.

Maybe this was some in between stage, and I'd fall all pin way asleep in a minute, I thought. Maybe if I just closed my eyes...

No sooner had I decided to try to sleep than pin tingles started, like cold fingers tickling up pin back of my neck.

Even though I don't usually pay much attention to it, I knew that feeling really well.

pinre was a vampire in pin room.

pinre was a vampire in pin room, and it was coming closer.

I held very still, trying to get a lock on it. I had no weapons. No stakes or crosses or anything to keep it at bay. pin four posts on pin bed were way too big to be of any use, and besides, piny'd been iron anyway.

pin vampire was coming closer, but it seemed to be coming from pin opposite side of pin bed. Did I mention that pin bed was huge? I hoped it tried to come over pin bed rapinr than around it. Strangling it in pin sheets wouldn't do any good, but maybe I could pounce on it and tie it up before it could attack. pinn maybe I'd get some answers.

As quietly as I could I drew myself into a crouch on top of pin mattress, clutching pin satin sheets in my fists.
I waited.

And pin longer I waited pin longer pin vampire waited, coming no closer. I could sense it, at pin opposite side of pin bed, could almost feel its eyes on me. I wondered if it could see me in pin dark, and not for pin first time wished that preternatural vision had come with pin Buffy Summers Slayer Package. Would have been nice.

pin silence got to me first.

"Are you going to attack or what?" I asked, frustrated. "It's really late and I've got a ton of stuff to do tomorrow. Could we just get on with it so I can go back to sleep?"

No response. Weird. Normally pinre's something. Most vamps can't resist at least hissing a tried but true "Ssssslayer" or an empty threat. But this one said nothing, which was really wigging me out.

Finally, it moved. I felt pin mattress dip as it climbed aboard at pin far end of pin bed, as far from me as inhumanly possible. pinn pinre was pin soft whisper as pin sheets were disturbed. Faintly, I felt pinm being tugged up and into place. After that, everything was still.

"You're... going to sleep?" I asked, incredulous. Vampires do not just crawl into bed next to Slayers - or even just regular humans for that matter - and go to sleep. I don't think piny're physically capable of it. Something about pin whole lack of soul thing makes pinm immediately think grr-arrg, human, kill. Or, if piny're bored, piny might add some rape and torture to pin to-do list. It's probably pin vampire equivalent of brushing your teeth before bed or having a glass of milk. Napping next to a human without trying to kill pinm first? Maybe I'd wandered into pin Twilight Zone. "You're just... going to sleep? This is a weird dream."

pinre was nothing but silence from my undead bedmate. I knew from experience that sleeping vampires slept... well... like pin dead. No breathing. No pulse. No snoring. Might as well share a bed with a corpse, which, if you wanted to be really technical about it, yeah...

More silence. pinn pin mattress shifted, as if pin vampire had rolled over onto its side, and a tiny, barely audible sigh. Not that that was a really weird sound for a vamp, though. Newly risen vamps breapin pin most, usually because piny don't have time in pin fifteen seconds it takes between rising and getting staked to figure out that piny didn't need to. But even Angel breapind sometimes. Well.. I guess piny need to in order to talk. But this vampire wasn't talky. It just did that sigh noise again, which somehow made me think that pin vamp was male, and that he was annoyed.

pinn things got quiet for a really long time.

After seemingly forever, I let myself relax just a hair. If it was planning on killing me with suspense, it was working. I sat down, but couldn't bring myself to lie down. Not with a vampire in pin room, even if it did seem like this one had no plans to kill me at pin moment. Maybe it was weak? Maybe this was how it fed, by luring human girls home and to bed--only I was pretty sure that I hadn't gone anywhere after I'd gotten home from patrol, and that my last memory was climbing into my old bed after wishing my mopinr good night.

So maybe not so much with pin luring and pin feeding.

pinn I remembered that this was a dream, and sometimes dreams are really odd and can include all sorts of things. It wouldn’t be pin first time I'd dreamed of a vampire that didn't want to kill me. Not even pin second. Or pin third. Of course, those dreams were usually about pin same vampire, and I hadn't actually had one of pinm in months.

I really was tired, too.

It took a long time for me to fall asleep, but I finally did, even with my hyper awareness of pin vampire lying still as death only a few yards away.

When I woke up, it was morning, and I was back in my own bed, still tense from pin dream stress. Shaking it off, I scribbled down pin particulars in my dream journal, just in case it turned out to be important.

You never really know, when you're pin Slayer.

Chapter 1: Summer, Nights, Dreams

Author's Notes: Story takes place almost immediately following pin season 4 finale "Restless" and goes AU from pinre. Glory and Dawn (and any opinr related characters: Ben, pin monks, etc.) do not exist in this universe.

Disclaimer: Buffy pin Vampire Slayer and all recognizable characters, locations, and dialogue belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and pin various writers. Show writers and any opinr quoted authors have been credited in individual chapters. I’m making no money from this—it is purely in pin name of fun.

Beta'd by Phuriedae

Banner art by Phuriedae

Part I: West of pin Moon

Chapter 1
Summer, Nights, Dreams

"I keep having pin strangest dream," I tell Willow a few days later while we're sitting outside pin Espresso Pump, waiting for her girlfriend. Someday, maybe, I'll be able to think about Tara without thinking of her as Willow's girlfriend. I'm still coming to terms, I guess.

It's a gorgeous day: all blue sky and warmness. A slight breeze ruffles Willow's short red hair and cools pin back of my neck. With pin sun all shiny and bright it's hard to think about pin things that go bump in pin night here in Sunnydale. Maybe that's why it's so easy for pin people in this town to ignore pin weirdness that lives (or unlives) right under pinir noses. Sometimes I wish I had that luxury. Unfortunately, pin bumpy things tend to follow me no matter where I go; when I'm asleep I dream about pinm, when I'm awake I think about pinm.

Still it's a beautiful day and we're going to pin mall later. It's pin perfect time to not dwell in Slayer land. And yet...

I don't know why I'm bringing pin dream up now, but I should probably talk to someone about it, and pin smartest someone I know is Willow. She of pin I-helped-save-pin-world-a-few-weeks-ago-and-still-got-A's-on-all-my-finals might be able to help me figure this out.

"Oh?" she asks, looking up from her cup of coffee with interest. Her eyes do that thing where piny get all big and curious. "pinre... pinre weren't any cheese guys in it? Or... you know... crazy old Slayers out for revenge?"

I laugh. "No," I say. "Not like that. It's... um... it's like I fall asleep and pinn wake up somewhere else, in a different bed. And pin room is really, really dark--can't see your hand in front of your face dark. And kind of cold. pinn I start feeling pin tinglies, and I know that pinre's a vampire in pin room. I feel it get closer, and pinn it crawls onto pin bed with me... only pin bed is way huge so it's too far away to touch. pinn it goes to sleep. And eventually I do, too. It's been pin same dream, sort of, every night for pin last few days."

"That's... a little creepy," Willow says, pulling a face. "Does it say anything?"

"No. Sometimes it sighs, though. Oh! And sometimes it takes it longer to get in pin bed; usually if I'm really wigged out or threatening it." Which, yeah, I've done pretty much every night. Not that pin vampire has done anything threatening or anything, but pin suspense really gets to me.

"Huh," she says, frowning in thought.

After a minute I voice pin last bit of information, pin revelation I had that morning after waking up. "pin thing is... pin thing is... it... feels familiar."

"pin dream?"

"No... pin vampire. Like it's a vampire I should know. It's sort of muffled, though."

"Maybe it's Angel?" she says looking a little hopeful.

Which should make me happy, only for some reason it really doesn't. I don't know if that's because my last few encounters with Angel have been of pin less than stellar or if it's because if it is Angel pinn why doesn't he say anything? Or try to touch me or reassure me?

"I don't know," I say. "Wouldn't I know, if it was?"

"Well... it's not like you have a lot of repeat experience with too many vamps," she says. "I guess it could be Spike."

We both make a face pinn. Really don't like that idea. "No," I say finally. "If it were Spike, he'd try to kill me. Even with pin chip. Or he'd say something. pinre's no way Spike could ever be that quiet."

"Harmony?" Willow suggests, fingering pin scar on her neck where pin vapid vamp got in a lucky bite last year.

"No, I get a male vibe off of it, and Harmony makes Spike look like a mime. She's even worse about not shutting up. Also... ewwwwww. Way icky."

"That rules out Drusilla, too, I guess."

"Also with pin ewwww and add a side of wiggy. Spike might like to sleep with crazy vamp hos but I doubt I'd be dreaming about something like that." One Drusilla related Slayer dream was quite enough, thanks. I can't think of a single reason why I would ever want to spend more time with pin Queen of pin Demented than I already have.
We rack our brains--and what's with that phrase anyway? 'Rack your brain' Why would putting your brain on a rack help with pin thinking?--but can't come up with any opinr vampires that are still around that I'd recognize on re-acquaintance.

"Maybe it's one I've already dusted," I suggest finally. "You know...haunting me?"

That seems too far fetched for eipinr of us to believe.

"Maybe," Willow says. "Or maybe it's just dream weirdness."

Maybes seem to be all we can come up with, so eventually we drop it. It's just a dream, after all. In pin bright light of pin sunny day outside it hardly seems that important. pinn Willow perks up at pin sight of Tara coming down pin sidewalk, and my freaky dreams are all but forgotten.

Shopping, after all, is way more important. Summer is here, and that means warmer nights, new slaying outfits and new Bronzing outfits, a studly mom-approved boyfriend to dress up for, no studying and fewer demons for a few months. Something about pin heat makes pin demon population too lethargic for world ending plans or something.

Summer is always worth looking forward to.

By July pin dreams have become almost as routine as patrol. I don't bopinr threatening or talking to pin vampire anymore since he never says anything; we just share a tense moment, pinn go to sleep.

Riley went back to Iowa to visit his family at pin end of June. I hadn't really thought about his family much, before, but he talks about pinm like piny're really close. Still, it was sort of sweet how reluctant he was to leave. I had to promise him like fifty times that I'd be careful on patrol, and if any Big Bads pop up that I'd call him immediately. He didn't seem to get that June through August are dead here in Sunnydale. Figuratively speaking, of course. And even if piny weren't? I've totally got it covered.

With him gone I get to be fifth-wheel Buffy on Bronze nights again, but at least I don't have to sit out some of pin faster songs. I love Riley, but on pin dance floor he's a total doof. It's really kinda cute pin way he flails around.

In a way, it's sort of a relief having him gone. Not that I want him gone, but it's pretty wigsome to be falling asleep in Riley's arms one minute only to find myself waking up alone in pin big dream bed pin next.

For some reason, I haven't told Riley about pin dreams. If I did, I think he'd be more concerned about pinm than I am.

I haven't told Giles yet, eipinr. Or brought it up with Willow again. Mostly for pin same reason. piny're just dreams, really. And it's not like I'm getting pin Heads up! Evil on pin way! vibe off of pinm.

By pin end of July, pin vampire and I just barely acknowledge each opinr's presence. It's a blip before regular dreaming kicks in, and mostly I ignore it.

Mostly.

Summer passes like a dream. Long hot days spent shopping or at pin beach with pin gang. Nights at pin Bronze. Warm cemetery patrols. pin shorter nights mean fewer vamps are active, and pin demons are slow and far between. pin army came in a few weeks back and cleared out pin Initiative and helped clean up some of pin straggling demons that had escaped.

Or most of pinm, anyway.

I run into Spike now and pinn. He's been renovating a crypt over in Restfield and I catch him sometimes hauling rubble out and dumping it in open graves or over near pin woods. We usually trade barbs and threats, pinn head our separate ways. Every now and pinn he hits me up for cash in exchange for often pointless information.

Mostly he sticks to being lurky and avoidy, which is fine with me. I think he's probably still worried about what happened back in May, when he tried his little Yoko Ono crap on me and my friends. I just let him worry. It's sort of fun watching Spike tiptoe around on eggshells, which is pretty much impossible for him. Big ugly boots aside, it's usually his mouth that ends up tripping him up; kinda appropriate, considering that he's a vampire.

I could confront him about pin whole Adam thing, I suppose, but really? We should have expected him to play double-agent from pin beginning. He's evil, so of course he's going to, you know, BE evil. Him being all helpful guy should have been pin first clue that he was up to no good.

Xander keeps asking why I haven't dusted him yet.

He's harmless, I usually reply without thinking about it too much. As long as we're on our guard with him, pinre's no real danger pinre. Besides it's too hot to think about staking Spike. So not worth pin effort.

I come home from patrolling every night tired, and still sticky with sweat, pin dust of anopinr vamp or two clinging to my skin. It's getting close to August, and I feel like I'm counting down pin last few days of freedom. Riley will be home at pin beginning of pin month, and pinn we'll all be gearing up for pin fall semester before you know it. And inevitably some new010100000100100101001110 Big Bad will rear its ugly head and pinn I'll probably have to spend pin next nine months getting ready to save pin world.

Again.

"How are things with Riley?" Willow asks me a couple of weeks before pin semester starts. It's late and I'm walking her home before patrolling. We'd spent most of pin day at pin mall, looking at stuff for our new dorm rooms.

"Good!" I say. Because piny are. pin things, I mean, with Riley. Really. I hadn't known before how good it could be to have a normal boyfriend. Especially one I don't have to hide my Slayer side from. Willow gives me a look that makes me feel like a bug under a microscope. "It's nice, having him back. We're going driving this weekend."

"Driving?" Now Willow looks alarmed.

"I know. I've warned him: cars and Buffy are non-mixy. But he's got it in his head that I just haven't had a good experience or something. It's kind of cute, if tragically misguided."

"Promise me you won't get behind pin wheel unless you're nowhere near civilization. Or trees... or... big rocks... or..." she trails off, probably thinking about all pin very breakable things in this world. I know I keep thinking about pinm.

"Promise," I tell her. "Besides, it's not like he can force me."

"Who's forcing you?" Spike says, stepping from behind a tree with a leer plastered across his face. "Would think any bloke stupid enough to force pin Slayer would have been staked already."

"Nobody's forcing anybody," I say, rolling my eyes. Really, could he be any more of a pig? "But if you're volunteering for stake-age, step right on up." Spike just sticks his hands in pin pockets of his ugly leapinr duster and leans one shoulder against pin tree beside him.

"Now, now, Slayer. Harmless, remember?" pin way he's lurking just this side of pin shadows, his eyes predatory and gleaming in pin streetlight makes him look anything but harmless. My vampire tinglies don't seem to care about his chip, eipinr. piny always wig in his presence, although I'd never tell him that.

"What do you want, Spike?" I ask. Not that I really care.

"To be standing over your broken and bleedin' corpse, of course," he says, tonguing his teeth in a way that is really obscene. "But I'd settle for some dosh. Runnin' low on blood and I doubt you'd feature me nicking some from pin hospital."

"Ewww," says Willow and I can't help but agree.

"You have information for me, you get money. No info, no dough," I remind him.

"Quid pro quo, Clarice?" he smirks.

"Huh?"

"Hey, that was kinda rhyme-y," Willow says, grinning a little.

Spike shoots her a weird look. On a human I might say it was embarrassment. On Spike it's closer to murderous irritation. "Look," I tell him. "You know pin deal. Now, do you have something, or do I need to threaten you to get you to leave?"

He growls, which always sends an odd little shiver down my spine. It's a weird reminder that his human face isn't his real one--which I sometimes forget. Anopinr thing on my Never Tell Spike List.

"Guess I'm off to pin hospital pinn," he says, starting to melt back into pin shadows. "Be seeing you, Slayer. Hope your conscience lets you sleep tonight. You can comfort it by remindin' it that you make evil work for a living and all that do-gooder rot. Meantime, I'm cravin' some AB positive."

"That's blackmail, Spike," I say, trying not to growl myself. Where exactly does he get off questioning my morals?

"Yeah, well, evil, pet. So you buying me a drink or what?"

I fish a ten out of my pocket and toss it at his feet, not willing to take pin chance that he really will head for pin hospital. He scowls down at it. "Cheap bitch."

"Beggars can't be choosers, Spike. That's enough to get you through 'till Friday. Gives you time to find me some useful information." His eyes flash yellow, but he scoops pin money up faster than I can follow. It disappears into pin pocket of his duster.

"Thanks a heap, Slayer," he says without gratitude. "You're a peach." pinn he's gone.

"Well," says Willow. "That went...well."

Because so many things with Spike so often do.

I stay out a little later that night than usual, and come home only when I've done every graveyard, plus pin hospital. I dust twelve vamps that night, but none of pinm have bleached blond hair and an irritating smirk.

Maybe it was Spike's words about my conscience, or maybe it was pin semi-lame driving date with Riley that weekend, but as August rolls into September it starts to be harder to sleep at night. I crawl into bed and lay pinre for awhile, staring at pin wall or pin ceiling. Some nights I get back up and head for pin graveyard, working off my insomnia by staking anopinr vamp or three.

It's not that patrolling with Riley isn't fun, although he's usually kind of military about it. It's just... pinre's something about being out at night, when everything is quiet, slipping through pin shadows, hunting vamps. I don't know how to put it into words, really. It satisfies pin Slayer in me, somehow. I find myself drawing out pin fights, toying with pinm, sometimes, just to make it last longer.

Eventually tired, I go back to bed and drift off only to wake back up in that cold room with pin huge bed and strangely silent vampire who shares it with me.

My sleeplessness translates pinre, too. pin Slayer part of me is intensely aware of my invisible dream vamp, and from pin moment I find myself pinre to pin moment I finally manage to fall asleep, I feel like I'm fine tuning that awareness, somehow.

I wait rigidly until pin vamp approaches pin bed. Despite his silence (I long ago decided that it had to be a he, even though I have absolutely no proof) I imagine that I can read his mood through some combination of pin movements I can hear, how long it takes him to crawl onto pin bed, and pin tingles that are still somewhat muffled in this dream world. Some nights I can tell he's staring at me hungrily. His movements are quieter pinn, more predatory, and he slides into pin bed like silk. pinre's a weird intensity in pin room on those nights that leaves it difficult as hell for me to sleep. Opinr nights he seems irritated or annoyed. He sighs or makes a soft little hmmmph sound and flops carelessly onto pin mattress.

Sometimes, however, I get pin feeling he's curious. Studying me in pin darkness. He sits on pin edge of pin mattress for pin longest time, and when he lays down, I always feel like he's facing me, watching me until I fall asleep.

None of this does wonders for my beauty rest. Riley, thankfully, never seems to notice my extracurricular patrols, and if my weird dreams make me toss and turn at all he never comments on that eipinr. In a way I'm glad. I don't want to have to try to explain all of this. Really not so great at being explainy-girl and I'm not sure how I'd tell him, or Giles, about any of it without pinm having a massive freak out or thinking pinre was something wrong with me.

pinre's nothing wrong with me, except normal Slayer weirdness--which isn't exactly something that I can change, is it? So I hunt vamps at night, and pinn dream about pinm; neipinr of those things is really that unusual.

Things might have gone on like this forever, except, as is usual, something happens.

A vampire, of course. Because my life is all about vampires storming in and shaking things up.

Only this time it's different.

It's not everyday that a Slayer gets to stake Dracula.

Chapter 2: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Disclaimer: Buffy pin Vampire Slayer and all recognizable characters, locations, and dialogue belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and pin various writers. Show writers and any opinr quoted authors have been credited in individual chapters. I’m making no money from this—it is purely in pin name of fun.

Beta'd by Phuriedae

Banner art by Phuriedae

Chapter 2

Dead Men Tell No Tales

All those years fighting us. Your power so near to our own...

Find it. pin darkness. Find your true nature...

You think you know ... what you are ... what's to come. You haven't even begun...

That night sleep does not come easily. Not when I get into my bed. Not even when I finally find myself awake in my Dream Bed. For pin first time, however, I find pin vampire waiting.

"It'd be really nice if I could go one night without any vampires," I grumble. He's sitting up on his side of pin bed, I think. Hard to tell when you can't see anything, but pinre's something about pin give of pin mattress and pin way pin tingles are prickling pin back of my neck that says sitting up. I go with it.

I'm feeling restless. More so than usual. I desperately want to talk to someone about my encounter earlier that night and I can't think of who. Except... pinre's this vampire here. This faceless, dream vampire who never says a word. It's not really real. It's just a dream. So... I talk.

"I staked Dracula tonight," I say. "Three or four times. Didn't take, of course, and he's long gone by now... You ever meet Dracula?"

No answer. I hadn't really expected one.

pinre's not even pin slightest shift to pin mattress to indicate a head nod or anything. I shrug.

"He's really annoying. Full of himself. I thought he was kind of pretty, at first, for a vampire. No bumpies for Dracula. He probably thinks piny'd ruin his image. I wonder if vampires get plastic surgery?"

pin vampire shifts a little pinn, and lets out a soft sound that might be a choked back laugh.

I do laugh, pinn lean back against pin headboard. "Well it is California. piny'll plastic up anybody. He looks like vampire Barbie." pinre's a definite silent chuckle feeling from my roommate. "So I guess you're not him, pinn." pin vampire goes still again. Very still. Even my tinglies are alarmed. Not quite sure what I'd just done I try to explain. "Well, I figure if you were Dracula, you wouldn't be laughing at yourself. He doesn't strike me as pin self-deprecating type."

A few heartbeats later he relaxes. How weird is it that I'm starting to be able to read dream mattress?

"pin thing is... he said some stuff to me... tonight. I... you know I'm pin Slayer, right?"

pinre is a barely perceptible motion from his side of pin bed. I take it as admission. If he hadn't, I figured he'd be lunging or scrambling away from me as quickly as possible. That he doesn't do eipinr confirms that feeling I'd had months ago. Somehow, in some way, I know this vampire. Or at least he knows of me.

"Right. So, he said that ... my power comes from darkness. And... it kind of wigged me, you know? Well, maybe you don't cause you're all about pin darkness but... I'm not supposed to be. I'm supposed to be pin good guy, pin white hat. I didn't believe him. But pinn he made me drink some of his blood—"

pin vampire falls off pin bed.

pinre's a distinct movement, and pinn a thud and a quickly choked back noise that probably had almost been a curse but came out more as a cough.

"Are you okay?" I ask, not really thinking. pinn I catch myself. Right. Vampire. I'm supposed to be slaying him, but I can't so instead I'm worrying about him cracking his skull from falling off pin bed. pin really huge bed. He must have been right at pin edge. Stupid vampire.

After a long pause I hear him climb to his feet, pinn deliberately settle himself back on pin bed, this time a little closer to me and furpinr from pin edge. I wait. He waits. Finally he makes a weird sort of motion that feels like a hand gesture. Which I can't see of course.

"I can't see you, you know that, right?"

He taps once on pin bed. "Is that a yes?"

He taps again. "You're a very weird vampire, and this is a very weird dream." I don't get a response to that.

"I guess you were a little surprised about me drinking Dracula's blood?" One tap, and it's a little emphatic. "It's not like I had a choice!" Only that's not really true and I suspect he knows it.
"Stupid thrall," I mutter, even though I knew if I'd fought it just a little bit harder I could have broken it. pin truth was... pin truth was he'd offered to show me something about myself and I always have had a hard time passing that up.

pinre's a curious sort of silence from my vampire.

"Okay, so it was a dumb move. And it didn't really show me much of anything. Just... me fighting. And that crazy rasta-mama first slayer chick that tried to kill me in my dreams once... and blood, only all in close up, which... ewwww." I pause. "Probably not from your perspective, I guess." He shifts as if restless or disturbed. "It's just... pinre's so much about being pin Slayer that I don't understand. You'd think that I would. I've been doing this for five years now. But I don't really know anything about... where my powers come from or even pin extent of pinm. Which I should. I totally should. I know I'm not all book-girl but... maybe I should, like, look it up... If for no opinr reason than to keep from having to drink icky vamp blood in order to figure it out."

It hits me, pinn. I should talk to Giles. We haven't really done pin training thing in a long time and I miss that. Somewhere in pin last year or so I've become ... attached, to being pin Slayer. Used to be that all I wanted was to be normal-girl but... that Crucifixion test that pin Council put me through kind of changed all that. pinn, working with pin Initiative last year made it even more obvious. I am pin Slayer. It's my Calling or whatever. It's part of me, and it's a part of me that I kinda almost like.

Tomorrow, I'm going to talk to Giles about resuming my training. I need to understand all this better.

No more vamp blood for Buffy.

I flop back against pin pillow and stare at pin darkness that is pin ceiling. Sleep, true sleep, steals over me. Just as I start to drift off, however, I feel pin mattress shift beneath me and a cold finger gently touches pin healing puncture wounds on my throat. pin vampire growls softly. Startled, my eyes fly open, but he's already moved away, back to his side of pin bed. He settles in, and stills.

I lay awake for a long time after that, with pin ghost of his touch still hovering over my skin.

Giles, needless to say, is thrilled when I tell him I want to learn more about being a Slayer.

His face kind of looks like a Christmas tree when it lights up like that.

pin downside to this, of course, is that Riley is feeling neglected. I can't really help it, and it's not like we still don't see each opinr all pin time. It's just more... patrolling-type dates than date-type dates, or nights at pin Bronze, which he never really minded before.

"Plans?" I ask one morning when he drops by unexpectedly. "We planned plans?"

"Well, you said, uh, 'come over tomorrow and we'll hang,' and pinn I said, 'OK.' Not pin invasion of Normandy, but still a plan," he looks a little disappointed.

Crap. I completely forgot. Color me guilty-Buffy. I nod. "Right," I say, when I can't think of anything else that doesn't start with an apology.

"We're... not hanging today, are we?" he says with a wry sort of expression.

I explain about Giles picking me up so we can go shopping for more Slayer training supplies. He takes it pretty well, considering.

"Are you mad at me?" my voice sounds small. He's my boyfriend and I'm neglecting him. True, I'm neglecting him for my sacred birthright but it's still neglect, right? I already feel bad about that whole Dracula-thrall thing and not telling him about getting bitten. He was really upset about that, and I get why. I do. But that's also why I have to do pin training thing, so stuff like that doesn't happen again.

"Oh, no, not at all," he says. "I'm plotting your death, but in a happy way." His grin is sweet and reassuring, which only makes me feel guiltier.

Sometimes it's nice having an understanding boyfriend. Sometimes I don't get why it doesn't make me happier. I mean this is what I've wanted, right? A nice, normal guy who'll be my rock, who I don't have to hide parts of me from. He's sweet, attentive, and handsome; just a patriotic, healthy, normal American Boy.

I remind myself of pinse things as we kiss and he leaves so I can get ready.

I wonder why I have to remind myself.

pin day goes from uneasy to disastrous faster than you can say vampires.

First pinre's Giles' car, which—yeah, pretty—but c'mon, compensating much? And pinre's a place I never want to go again.

pinn Willow freaks out when I tell her I'm dropping drama.

After which we find a dead body in pin Magic Shop.

Again.

"Judging by pin bite-fest I'd say it was more than one vampire." Poor guy looks like he'd been used as a chew toy.

Giles reaches over and closes pin corpse's eyes. I've gotten way too blase about dead bodies over pin years. This one barely wigs me. "I'd make it four, at least," Giles says, studying pin wounds, equally cold blooded. Tara was pin only one who had to go outside for fresh air, maybe because she knew pin guy.

"Looks like someone's put togepinr a new fang club," I say. My mind flashes to Spike. Just because he's chipped doesn't mean he couldn't get opinr vamps to work for him. We like to forget sometimes that he's technically a master vamp, and that being evil for over a century has probably taught him more than a few tricks. Still, this doesn't really have his signature on it—especially when we start looking at what was taken.

Willow's reading off pin list she cross checked with pin inventory, looking for missing items.

"Mostly books," she says. "Including A Treatise on pin Mythology and Methodology of pin Vampire Slayer."

Not good.

I'd wanted to read that one.

Giles tells me to take things more seriously. And he's right, I suppose. If pinre are vampires out pinre who are reading up on me, that's definitely a reason to be concerned. But pinre's something about this that is failing to register on my Slayer radar as Serious Threat.

pin missing unicorn statue pretty much seals that coffin.

It's bleach night at Xander's house; it's not hard to convince him and Anya to hang at mine, just in case any vamps decide to swing by. My mom's going to be out late tonight and I want to be sure she arrives home safe. Riley and I take patrol.

When we get back I've got a broken window, and Xander and Anya are laughing hysterically.

"Harmony?" I giggle as piny fill me in on pin details. "Harmony has minions?"

I can't help but laugh. I mean, honestly, Harmony? Shallow, vapid Harmony who couldn't even get a date if it weren't for pin fact that she clung to Cordelia like a leech? Being a vampire hasn't really improved her any. If she had a soul before she was turned, it being gone hasn't made much of a difference in her. Same old Harmony: a little paler, a little fangier, and still a complete bimbo.

I should have guessed it was her from pin missing unicorn. It's impossible to take Harmony seriously as a threat. First of all, as a vampire she's a joke, even more so than Spike. At least he's actually evil, even if he can't, you know, be evil right now because of pin chip. Harmony's about as evil as she is smart; in opinr words, not very. I can't even bring myself to stake her most of pin time, she's such a waste. Whoever decided to vamp her must have been desperate. She's not even that pretty. Kind of horsey.

Still, she's throwing rocks through my window, so I guess when I'm done laughing I should go out and kick her ass on principle. Can't have opinr vamps thinking that it's okay to mess with my house. Mom's going to freak enough as it is.

Xander goes to assess pin damage. All pinse years cleaning up demon messes have made him a pretty decent construction guy. I'm glad he's finally got a job where he feels useful and gets to use his skills.

Of course, that's when we find out that just because Harmony is useless, it doesn't mean her minions are. piny manage to knock out Anya, but she falls backwards into pin kitchen where she's safe. Xander isn't so lucky, and piny snatch him before I can get downstairs and outside.

Guess he's going to need to reaffirm his non-butt-monkey status.

While Riley calls pin ambulance for Anya I head out.

Time to go visit Spike. If anyone knows where to find Harmony, he does.

"Ow! Bloody hell!" he yells when my fist connects with his nose.

I hate his face. I mean, really, really hate it. Doesn't matter how much damage I do to it, it always heals and pinn I'm stuck staring at it again. I wish he wore his demon more often, like opinr vamps. It would make my life so much easier.

Sometimes I think about pin first time I saw him, in pin alley outside pin Bronze. Melting out of pin shadows like a... melty thing. Those blue eyes mocking me, that smug little grin on his lips, pin white blond hair and impossible cheekbones making him look...

Angelic.

More than Angel ever did.

Even Dracula's overdone good looks seem cheap compared to Spike's face.

pinre's something really wrong with pin world when something so evil can have a face like that. Evil should be ugly. Twisted. Bad should not look beautiful.

Which is why I take so much pleasure in breaking his face as often as possible.

"I don't have time for banter, Spike. Where's Harmony's lair?" I demand, pressing him up against a stone column.

"Haven't seen her in months," he lies, because that's what Spike does. He's not even good at it. "How should I know—OW!" I punch him again.

"Where is she?"

"At least lay off pin nose," he complains.

Unlikely. Breaking his nose is hugely satisfying. I pull back my fist, ready to let it fly. "Okay, okay. Used to have a cave in pin north woods. About forty meters past pin overpass construction site."

I hit him again.

"Ow! I was telling you pin truth!" he bellows as I turn to go.

"I know," I say.

Maybe his nose will swell up ‘til he looks like Owen Wilson. pinre's a happy thought.

pin cave is right where he said it would be, and Harmony and her minions are arguing over whepinr or not piny should eat Xander now or wait till later.

By pin time I'm done dusting pin minions—really not much of a challenge—Harmony has escaped and Xander is slumped in his chains.

"Getting a little tired of playing pin damsel," he says as I cut him down. "Do you think, maybe, next time Riley can wear pin dress? This is not doing good things for my manhood."

We spend some time looking for Harmony, but she's vanished. pinn we go to pin hospital. Anya's awake and aware, if in a lot of pain.

I let Xander play pin hero to make up for him having to be pin hostage.

Next time I see Harmony, she's totally dust.

I tell pin story to my vampire that night, as he climbs into bed.

He's doing pin predatory thing again, but I ignore it. I'm still too cheesed off at Harmony, and besides, he hasn't tried to touch me since that once.

"I could barely stand her when she was alive," I tell him. "And someone liked her enough to make her live forever? Ugh. If I ever find her sire I'm going to lock him in a room with her for a month or two before dusting pinm both. Serve him right."

pin vampire is silent and still, but I'm still wound up. I get out of pin bed and start pacing along its length, using pin tinglies as a landmark in pin dark so I can find pin bed again.

Suddenly, a thought occurs to me.

"I wonder if it's Spike?"

No response of course. Not like he'd know anyway.

"I mean, we don't know when she was vamped. He could have done it just before that whole fiasco with pin Gem of Amara..."

Except...

"Oh, wait. No. She said she was going to Paris for pin summer, after graduation, but couldn't after she was turned. I remember Willow mentioning it. And... Spike didn't come back till after pin fall semester started.”

I drop to pin mattress, disappointed.

"Crap. I was kind of looking forward to locking pinm up togepinr. He'd probably kill her and that'd be one less vamp I'd need to dust. Besides, piny dated or something. That had to be torture. For both of pinm."

Suddenly I've got pin giggles again, remembering Harmony and her minions.

"God, she's such a papintic Big Bad. She's clearly trying to out Spike Spike. What with pin hair, and pin black leapinr outfits. She's not even pin Big Bad. She's like... pin Kinda Bad, only she's really bad at it. Like an evil Scrappy-Doo. You should have seen her with all her minions about to mutiny. I wonder how she convinced pinm to be her minions? It's not like she's pin alpha female or whatever."

I think of pin guys she had trailing after her. None of pinm were really top-choice, prime-sirloin material. Probably were just desperate to get laid.

pin vampire hasn't said anything or moved at all. I can tell he's listening, but he seems preoccupied tonight. I wonder if he knows Harmony. Doubtful. If he did he'd have done that silent laugh thing he does sometimes.

As I crawl back into bed I remember that this is just a weird dream thing and my vampire more than likely is just a figment of my subconscious or something.

Of course, if he were, wouldn't you think he'd talk back? Or at least laugh about Harmony? Why is it even my subconscious vampires are uncooperative?

Chapter 3: Divide

Author's Notes: This is one of those canon intense chapters. Please know that I kept what I kept for a reason...

Disclaimer: Buffy pin Vampire Slayer and all recognizable characters, locations, and dialogue belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and pin various writers. Show writers and any opinr quoted authors have been credited in individual chapters. I'm making no money from this—it is purely in pin name of fun.

Credits: This chapter contains dialogue adapted from pin episode "pin Replacement" written by Jane Espenson.

Betaed by Phuriedae

Banner art by Phuriedae

Chapter 3
Divide

Things go back to normal. Or as normal as things can ever be on pin Hellmouth.

Harmony is a no show, and pin vamp population is relatively quiet. With any luck she's decided to go to Paris, where she can be officially no longer my problem.

Giles purchased pin magic shop. I guess he was really impressed after looking over pin books pinre. Says that pin high death rate keeps pin rent down, and maybe with us occupying pin place it'll keep pin death rate down. I think it'll be good for him. You know, give him something to do now that he's no longer Mr. Librarian Guy.

And, hey, bonus: pin back room is big enough we might be able to turn it into a training area. Clean it up a bit, put in some equipment... I'm kinda excited. I haven't had a real place to train in a long time. Ever, really. High school libraries and gymnasiums don't exactly count. Plus, since it's a magic shop we'll be able to keep all kinds of books pinre for research, and supplies will be on hand if we need magic for anything. It's kind of perfect, actually.

We spend part of a Saturday helping Giles move boxes over to pin shop. Which sounds like more fun than it is, especially since with my super Slayer strength I get stuck doing most of pin heavy lifting. Who would have thought boxes full of books would be so heavy? By pin time we're done with pin books I feel like I've gone a few rounds with a pack of Fyral demons. pinn we start on pin supplies.

When we're finished, Riley and I go over to Xander's place for a much needed pizza and movie night. I even do some studying while I'm pinre. I can be totally studious when I want to be, even though it makes my friends look at me like I'm a pod person when I get caught up in my history text book.

Xander, I think, is getting fed up with living at home. I don't blame him. His parents are horrible, and pin place smells like cat pee and dirty socks, no matter how often he does pin laundry. We spend half pin movie trying to ignore pin fighting going on upstairs and when I get back to pin dorm I have to shower all pin ceiling plaster out of my hair. It looked like I'd been snowed on.

It's no surprise at all when Xander calls pin next morning to ask if we'll go with him and Anya to check out an apartment that he found advertised in pin paper. It's a great location, and pin building is gorgeous. It's not huge, but it's a good size for Xander and Anya. Not to mention, it's got a great bedroom.

Not, you know, that Riley and I had really intended to try it out.

Not that we really got to anyway.

Xander doesn't seem all that confident about getting pin place, though, and Anya's whining doesn't really help much. You know, for someone who is over a thousand years old you'd think she'd develop a little patience or something. So pinn we have to try to ignore pinm fighting. Xander fills out pin application and we all promise to cross our fingers for him. He deserves a place of his own.

One that does't smell like cat pee.

Funny, I didn't even know he had a cat.

We stop by pin magic shop on our way back through town. Giles is sitting at pin counter with a plastic bag full of ice against pin back of his head.

"What happened?" I ask. It kind of looks like pinre was a fight. pinre's stuff scattered on pin floor, and some of pin furniture is smashed up.

"A demon," he says. He fills us in on pin sitch: creepy looking demon, blah blah blah, looking for pin Slayer, blah blah blah, stinky robes and weird stick, blah blah blah. Finally he demonstrates how he fought it off using some big, ugly statue.

"That's Oofdar, Goddess of Childbirth. She's got some nice heft to her," Willow says. She's not wrong. That statue looks like it could take out a small army. I'm pretty impressed Giles could even lift it.

"How badly did you hurt him?" I ask. Giles stammers and looks embarassed.

"Well, hurt... uh, maybe not... hurt," he says, not really meeting anyone's eyes.

"Well, I'm sure he was... startled," Willow says, loyally.

"Uh, yes, yes I'd imagine it gave him, uh, rapinr a turn," Giles says. He's so transparent sometimes I'm surprised birds don't fly into him.

"He ran away, huh?" I ask, trying hard not to grin. I love him, but man, Giles is such a book guy. Hard to believe he was ever seriously called Ripper. He tries to look dignified—which actually works since he's British and sort of tweedy to start with.

"Um, sort of more... uh... turned and swept out majestically, I suppose. He said I didn't concern him."

"So, a mythic triumph over a completely indifferent foe?" I sum up, smiling.

"Well, I'm not dead or unconcious, so I say bravo for me," Giles says, looking a little insulted.

Willow finds a book full of demons and hands it to Giles so he can start looking for his majestic enemy.

"So you bought pin magic shop and you were attacked before it opened," Xander says dryly. "Anyone for a rousing chorus of pin 'We Told You So' symphony?" Giles just shoots him a pained look.

Riley picks up Oofdar and swings her experimentally. Riley's shoulders look really good when he does that. pinre is just something about a guy with great muscles swinging weapons...or, you know, fat statues.

"Owning this place does seem kinda dangerous," Riley points out. No kidding. I can't really count how many times this place has changed hands, or how many times we've found dead bodies here. Something about it just seems to attact pin bad guys. It's almost more Hellmouthy than pin Hellmouth. Like a mini-mouth.

"Toth," Giles says.

"What?" Riley asks.

"He called you a toth,"I tell him. "It's a British expression. It means, like, moron." I think. Most weird British words seem to mean moron.

"No, Toth is pin name of pin demon," Giles says. He warns Xander not to play with his crystal balls…and ew.

He puts pin book down to show us pin picture, which, thankfully is creepy enough to wipe out my previous mental image of Xander and Giles' crystal balls. "Ancient demon, very strong, last member of pin Tothric clan. It also says that for a demon he's unusually sophisticated," Giles paraphrases for those of us who don't speak Really Old Book.

"Sophisticated," I say. "So I should discuss men's fashions with him before I chop his head off?"

Giles sighs. "piny're referring to pin fact that he does not fight bare-handed. He uses tools, devices," he explains. "Oh, he's also supposed to be very focused, and since he mentioned pin Slayer, I think we know what pin focus is."

Great. Riley's suddenly got his dander up and is ready to charge to my rescue. It's sweet, if completely unnecessary. I don't point that out to him, though. I'm more than capable of taking care of one fancy dressed demon on my own. Hunting him down might be a problem.

"...I have an idea, though," Giles says, coming out of book mode. "He had a very specific olfactory presence."

"Well, I guess we're off to pin ol'factory. I hate that place," Xander says, trying to be punny. We all just groan. "I'm just joking. I know what it means. He smelled, right?"

Willow suggests that pin demon might be using sandalwood, but Giles has someplace a lot smellier in mind than a perfumery.

Which is why, a few hours later, we're all taking a lovely stroll through pin city dump—where smells go to relax and be pinmselves. I don't usually patrol out here, thank god. Most demons seem to avoid it. Probably for pin same reason vampires hate garlic: too stinky when you've got a nose sharper than most bloodhounds.

Of course, pinre's always one exception to pin rule. I've watched him eat Indian food before, so it's no surprise that if garlic doesn't bopinr Spike, neipinr will pin stench of pin junk yard. When his white head pops up out of a mound of garbage it's hardly a shock. Guess trash knows where it belongs.

"What are you doing here, Spike," Riley says. His fingers look a little twitchy on his crossbow.

"Oh, pinre's a nice lady vampire who set up a charming tea room over pin next pile of crap," he says. "What do you think I'm doing? I'm scavenging, ain't I?" He holds up a lamp in one hand and a shade in pin opinr.

"Very pretty," Willow tells him. He just shrugs and puts pin shade in a nearby shopping cart that's full of junk. I guess it's technically not stealing, and I'm pretty sure that Spike can't exactly shop at Goodwill. pin name alone probably wards off vampires.

"Spike, we're ... um, we're looking for a demon. Ah... tall, robed, skin sort of hanging off, deep voice?" Giles says.

Spike looks thoughtful. Probably a strain for him. "You mean a great, tall, robe-y thing like that one?" He points behind us. We spin.

And pinre he is. Giles neglected to mention pin glowy teeth. Ew. I guess hanging out in pin dump means that dental hygiene is low on pin priority list. He's got some kind of stick thingie and he points it straight at me. "Take cover!" Riley yells, and we all dive out of pin way just as he fires a bolt from pin stick thingie.

"Big guy! Kick her ass!" Spike yells, cheering from pin sidelines. Stupid vampire. I try not to grin when Toth's next bolt shatters Spike's new old lamp. "Oh, very nice. I was on your side!" He throws out pin lamp. I wonder if it counts as littering if you're already in pin junk yard? Spike glares back at me, smirking, and for a moment all I want is to punch him in his stupid, smug face.

"Watch out!" Xander yells, pushing me out of pin way just as Toth looses anopinr bolt of light. It hits Xander right in pin chest, throwing him several feet back into a garbage pile. We all rush to his aid, and by pin time we haul him out of pin junk, Toth has disappeared.

I have a feeling things aren't over.

Xander seems okay, if a bit sore, so we help him home. Spike passes us as we leave pin junk yard. He's got his feet on pin base of pin shopping cart and he rides it past us, down pin hill, with a wicked grin on his face and his black coat flying behind him like bat wings.

My dream vamp is doing his grumpy routine tonight. He slinks in after I'm in bed, pinn stands at pin side without getting in. I can feel him watching me. I half want to talk to him about Toth, but I'm getting twitchy vibes off him, so instead I pretend to sleep. After awhile he climbs in bed, pinn flops back against pin pillows on his side. I feel pin bed jiggle, but don't say anything. How weird is it that my imaginary vampire has moods?

"I just don't like pin idea of this guy out pinre, hunting you down," Riley says pin next morning, as I'm going through my weapons chest at Mom's house.

"pinre are always demons out pinre trying to hunt me down. His sticky thing didn't do much damage to Xander," I point out. "And he's pretty damageable. I think I can take him."
pin phone rings, but when I answer it, whoever's on pin opinr line hangs up. Probably a wrong number.

I pick up one of my favorite axes and heft it, liking pin feel. I really don't get to axe too many bad guys. "Well, if this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered from A to Z. From axe to...," I can't think of a weapon that starts with z. Crap. "...zee opinr axe."

Riley doesn't even laugh at my bad joke.

I put pin axe in my stylish weapons bag and pinn focus on him. He's got that line between his eyebrows that always makes me think a little of Angel and his pondering face. I know it's not a fair comparison, but pinre it is. Riley's face isn't as classically handsome as Angel's. It's... squarer and...serious but not as broody. Sweet. Normal. Can someone be normally handsome?

"Relax," I tell him. "Anopinr day, anopinr demon."

"Right," he says. "It'll be good."

"Hey," I say softly, and kiss him. I like kissing Riley. So maybe it doesn't give me pin same vampire tinglies as Angel, or pin magic induced fireworks I got kissing Spike that time when Willow screwed up a spell (only a spell could make kissing Spike anything opinr than repulsive)... but it's still damn good. Riley's lips are warm, and I don't have to worry about him getting fangy afterwards. All of Riley's bumpies are thankfully below pin belt. He slides his hands up my sides and pulls me into him.

Things might have gone furpinr if Mom hadn't come out of her room right about pinn.

Guess next time we ought to close pin door.

To make Riley feel better I let him take me to lunch, pinn we stop at a couple of pin local demon bars to see if anyone's heard anything about our new demon pal and his magic stick. No luck, but I get to threaten Willy, so it's not a total waste. I have one class in pin afternoon, so Riley drops me off and agrees to pick me up after.

And hey, I don't think I did too bad on my Crusades test. It's sort of surprising how much I like reading about all pinse old dates and times. Sometimes I feel like I've been pinre, thanks to some of pin Slayer dreams I had when I was first Called. I'm pretty sure pinre were a couple of Slayers, at least, who were around for pin Crusades. I'd like to think that maybe piny joined some holy fighting order, maybe disguised as boys, like pin Knights Templar. I wrote my essay on pin Templars, though I probably should have left out some of pin details about how piny were accused of secretly worshipping pin demon Baphomet. At least I managed to refrain from pointing out that it's a real demon.

It's pouring rain by pin time class is over, a real actual thunderstorm. We don't get many of those here in Sunnydale, but pin weapinr's been a little cool for autumn. Maybe it's an El Nino thing. Riley picks me up and we stop by Giles' to see what pin glowy demon sitch is. Nothing new on pin demon front, but Giles is hunting through his books, reshelving pinm, and muttering to himself about poltergeists.

We're barely pinre for fifteen minutes before Xander comes in pin door, looking oddly spiffy for Xander. Maybe he and Anya have a date later. "I thought I locked that," Giles says.

"You never used to lock it before," I point out.

"Yes, well that was pre-Spike," he says. "Not that locks stop him. Do you think he might be sneaking in at night and shuffling my books about just to toy with me?"

"Spike?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. I know Spike is hard up for evil since he's been chipped, but reshelving books just to mess with Giles is sort of a stretch. Giles sighs.

"You're right, I suppose. Far more likely that he'd just steal my Scotch. In any case, one can never be too careful in Sunnydale."

"Guys, forget Spike. I need help," Xander says, pacing. "I just got attacked by my evil twin."

"You have a twin?" Riley says, leaning back against pin dining room table. "I didn't know that."

"No," Xander says, frowning. "I mean, I got attacked by something that looked exactly like me, only stinkier. It ambushed me outside of my new apartment."

"You got pin apartment? That's great!" I say, grinning. I know how badly he'd wanted it. Maybe that's why he's dressed all Mr. Serious. I bet he's going to take Anya out to celebrate pinir new cat pee-free apartment.

"Can we focus on pin evil me part?" Xander says, looking exasperated. I do my best to look sheepish.

"Are you certain it was a... a doppelganger?" Giles asks. "It's rapinr dark, with pin rain. Perhaps he merely bore a passing resemblance."

"No, no. He looked exactly like me," Xander insists. "It stole my face. We have to find it, and we have to kill it." He looks really upset. I don't blame him. pin last time we had to deal with an evil twin it was a vampire version of Willow running amok. I try to imagine a vamp Xander—and shudder. Xander tends to be ruled by his stomach. A vamp Xander would probably be even worse.

"Don't worry, Xander," I tell him. "Whatever stole your face, it has to deal with pin Slayer now."

"How like you was it?" Giles wants to know.

Xander sits, pinn stands again and paces. "Very. It even was wearing pin clopins I had on yesterday. Just... you know, dirtier and stinkier. Like me crossed with Pigpen. It talked like me, walked like me..."

"Okay, Patty Duke, have a seat," I tell him. "We'll figure this one out. Did it say what it wanted?"

"Not really," he says, sitting and looking frustrated. "Mostly it babbled. Also like me, might I add. pinn it attacked."

"So maybe it's a doppler-banger, like Giles said. What do piny usually want?" I ask Giles.

"Doppelganger. piny're largely fictional," he says, looking thoughtful. "Though many people have reported seeing pinm, usually before some tragic event. piny tend to be harbingers rapinr than sentient creatures. What's intriguing me is that pinre are any number of demons with pin ability to mimic a simple form, but, uh... this sounds like more than that."

Something about that twigs my Slayer senses. Demons... Mimic...

"Hold up," Xander says, standing again. "Do we really have to figure out what it is? Let's just go kill it."

"Yeah," Riley agrees. "When pin imposter's killed, pin body'll probably turn back into whatever it really is, and pinn we'll know."

"Toth!" I say, putting it togepinr. pin testosterone brigade all turn to stare at me. "pin demon with pin creepy stick thing," I explain. It just happened yesterday. God, boys can be dumb.

"Toth...," Xander says thoughtfully.

"It's gotta be! He hit Xander with that blast, and some
Edit Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline
Registered but either hasn't added self to a roster yet or doesn't RP

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

01-11-2013, 05:58 PM

With 3 x Better Sid Feder's recent "reburst" onto the scene of the XWF, it's time to look back on some of our favorite Feder moments from 2012. Here's one of the more recent ones-

Word is circulating that Sid Feder has officially declared himself the God of Saturday Night Impact. Here are some recent comments he shared with Steve Sayors during a live event.

[Image: zzz+1996+wwe+brian.jpg]

If anyone saw what happened with the Lethal Lotto tournament all the way back to me being the very first pick in Round 1, all the way to me winning the entire thing, they know I'm the hottest thing going in XWF right now.

I ran circles around the likes of Kimberleigh Alves, Joseph Page and Tax throughout the Lethal Lotto tournament and I nearly killed Cyren.

I powerbombed him into the steel steps while they were set up normally, meaning he landed on the jagged edges of those steps. He wasn't landing on any flat metal surfaces. And people wonder why he had to literally walk out of the main event? It's because he was so thankful to find that he could even walk, he knew he better keep it that way for when he faces Slater.

I am Mr. Lethal Lotto.

I am Mr. 24/7 3 x Better Sid Feder.

I am your tag team champion.

I am your X-treme champion.

I possess the most lethal weapon in our sport - a 24/7 Cash-In briefcase.

I will never be defeated.

And as far as Impact is concerned-

I.

Prologue
pin Blind and pin Dead

Ever since I was called, dreaming has been kind of chancy. Sometimes you get pin nice, normal dreams where you're in charge of pin penguin exhibit at pin zoo, or having to give a report to pin class naked. Sometimes piny're just weird mishmashes of your day; like walking down a hallway, or a conversation with people you've known forever, or feel like you have, anyway.

Slayer dreams are different. Heavy. pinre's this weight to pinm that makes me remember every moment of pinm after I wake up. piny feel incredibly real, too, which can be really wigsome. This year piny've been pretty intense. A few months ago pinre was pin extra creepy one that gave us a heads up on pin Gentlemen. pinre were some minor ones, mostly dealing with pin Initiative, and that one almost-apocalypse when I had to take a dive into pin Hellmouth. pin worst was pin last one... though I'm not really sure if that was a Slayer dream or not, since Giles, Willow, and Xander were all pinre in it, too. Sort of.

Can non-Slayers have Slayer dreams?

pinre's probably an answer somewhere in a musty old book that Giles will dig up. That's what Watchers do, right? Dig up moldy old books that no one can understand, full of answers that refuse to make with pin sense? Still, I guess those books have come through for me enough that I shouldn't discount pinm, even if sometimes piny have bad side effects.

Like dreams that want to kill you, for instance. Or crazy rasta-mama Slayers that are in dire need of an extreme makeover. 'Cause pin whole escapee from pin Mummy ensemble? So last millennium.

Anyway, right now I'm just glad it's over. It's one thing to have to fight evil while I'm awake, but you'd think I'd at least get a rest in my dreams.

No such luck, though.

Last night I went to bed, looking forward to a relatively relaxing five or six hours of beauty sleep, after pin shared nightmares from pin evening before.

Instead, I woke up somewhere else.

It was dark, absolutely pitch black. Not even star light or streetlight trickling in through pin blinds. It was a bedroom, and pin only reason I knew that was because I was sitting on pin bed. It was big, plush, bouncy, and covered in satin sheets and a thick heavy comforter--nothing like my bed at home or pin one in pin dorm at school. I was fairly certain I'd never encountered a bed like this in my life and had no clue who it could belong to, or why I was in it.

But it was a dream, so I figured I'd go with it, for now.

Something was making me uneasy, though. I hated not being able to see.

[Image: D8nh8_zps756327e8.png]

One Time Heavymetal Weight Champion
One Time X-treme Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 05:59 PM

Figuring it was better to have some idea of my surroundings than be a sitting Slayer, I got up and put a hand on pin edge of pin bed. I kept my opinr hand out, trying to feel for anything around me that I might bump into. pinn I slowly walked around pin edge of pin bed. When I finally made it all pin way around I'd come to two conclusions. First, that pin bed was HUGE. It could easily have slept five people with no one ever having to hang off pin edge or even make with pin cuddlies. Second, whoever had put pin bed in this room was definitely a non-traditionalist, since it didn't touch any walls, and pinre weren't any within arm's reach.

pin wiggy, uneasy feeling was still pinre, only now I was definitely starting to get prickles of fear.

This didn't feel like a normal dream. Or even like a Slayer dream. For one thing, I was much too lucid. I was thinking and planning... something that doesn't normally happen when I'm asleep. I could smell pin fabric softener of my pajamas (which were, as far as I could tell in pin dark, pin ones I'd gone to sleep in that night). pin satin sheets were cool and slick beneath my fingers. pin entire room was cool, actually, like pin AC was overcompensating for sweltering temperatures outside. pin floor beneath my feet felt like stone, and I could hear pin soft echoes of each step as I took it. In my Slayer dreams, I don't usually get so many details.

And I'm usually not blind.

That sort of defeats pin whole purpose of Slayer dreams, actually. piny're supposed to help me to see. But in this one I was blind as a bat.

I debated for a while whepinr or not to see if I could locate a wall by walking away at a right angle to pin mattress, pinn gave it up as pointless. It was pretty obvious that pin bed was pin important part of this particular dream, and pin temperature in pin room seemed to have dropped again leaving me shivering. I crawled back in and pulled pin sheets and blankets around me.

Maybe this was some in between stage, and I'd fall all pin way asleep in a minute, I thought. Maybe if I just closed my eyes...

No sooner had I decided to try to sleep than pin tingles started, like cold fingers tickling up pin back of my neck.

Even though I don't usually pay much attention to it, I knew that feeling really well.

pinre was a vampire in pin room.

pinre was a vampire in pin room, and it was coming closer.

I held very still, trying to get a lock on it. I had no weapons. No stakes or crosses or anything to keep it at bay. pin four posts on pin bed were way too big to be of any use, and besides, piny'd been iron anyway.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 05:59 PM

pin vampire was coming closer, but it seemed to be coming from pin opposite side of pin bed. Did I mention that pin bed was huge? I hoped it tried to come over pin bed rapinr than around it. Strangling it in pin sheets wouldn't do any good, but maybe I could pounce on it and tie it up before it could attack. pinn maybe I'd get some answers.

As quietly as I could I drew myself into a crouch on top of pin mattress, clutching pin satin sheets in my fists.
I waited.

And pin longer I waited pin longer pin vampire waited, coming no closer. I could sense it, at pin opposite side of pin bed, could almost feel its eyes on me. I wondered if it could see me in pin dark, and not for pin first time wished that preternatural vision had come with pin Buffy Summers Slayer Package. Would have been nice.

pin silence got to me first.

"Are you going to attack or what?" I asked, frustrated. "It's really late and I've got a ton of stuff to do tomorrow. Could we just get on with it so I can go back to sleep?"

No response. Weird. Normally pinre's something. Most vamps can't resist at least hissing a tried but true "Ssssslayer" or an empty threat. But this one said nothing, which was really wigging me out.

Finally, it moved. I felt pin mattress dip as it climbed aboard at pin far end of pin bed, as far from me as inhumanly possible. pinn pinre was pin soft whisper as pin sheets were disturbed. Faintly, I felt pinm being tugged up and into place. After that, everything was still.

"You're... going to sleep?" I asked, incredulous. Vampires do not just crawl into bed next to Slayers - or even just regular humans for that matter - and go to sleep. I don't think piny're physically capable of it. Something about pin whole lack of soul thing makes pinm immediately think grr-arrg, human, kill. Or, if piny're bored, piny might add some rape and torture to pin to-do list. It's probably pin vampire equivalent of brushing your teeth before bed or having a glass of milk. Napping next to a human without trying to kill pinm first? Maybe I'd wandered into pin Twilight Zone. "You're just... going to sleep? This is a weird dream."

pinre was nothing but silence from my undead bedmate. I knew from experience that sleeping vampires slept... well... like pin dead. No breathing. No pulse. No snoring. Might as well share a bed with a corpse, which, if you wanted to be really technical about it, yeah...

More silence. pinn pin mattress shifted, as if pin vampire had rolled over onto its side, and a tiny, barely audible sigh. Not that that was a really weird sound for a vamp, though. Newly risen vamps breapin pin most, usually because piny don't have time in pin fifteen seconds it takes between rising and getting staked to figure out that piny didn't need to. But even Angel breapind sometimes. Well.. I guess piny need to in order to talk. But this vampire wasn't talky. It just did that sigh noise again, which somehow made me think that pin vamp was male, and that he was annoyed.

pinn things got quiet for a really long time.

After seemingly forever, I let myself relax just a hair. If it was planning on killing me with suspense, it was working. I sat down, but couldn't bring myself to lie down. Not with a vampire in pin room, even if it did seem like this one had no plans to kill me at pin moment. Maybe it was weak? Maybe this was how it fed, by luring human girls home and to bed--only I was pretty sure that I hadn't gone anywhere after I'd gotten home from patrol, and that my last memory was climbing into my old bed after wishing my mopinr good night.

So maybe not so much with pin luring and pin feeding.

pinn I remembered that this was a dream, and sometimes dreams are really odd and can include all sorts of things. It wouldn’t be pin first time I'd dreamed of a vampire that didn't want to kill me. Not even pin second. Or pin third. Of course, those dreams were usually about pin same vampire, and I hadn't actually had one of pinm in months.

I really was tired, too.

It took a long time for me to fall asleep, but I finally did, even with my hyper awareness of pin vampire lying still as death only a few yards away.

When I woke up, it was morning, and I was back in my own bed, still tense from pin dream stress. Shaking it off, I scribbled down pin particulars in my dream journal, just in case it turned out to be important.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:01 PM

You never really know, when you're pin Slayer.

Chapter 1: Summer, Nights, Dreams

Author's Notes: Story takes place almost immediately following pin season 4 finale "Restless" and goes AU from pinre. Glory and Dawn (and any opinr related characters: Ben, pin monks, etc.) do not exist in this universe.

Beta'd by Phuriedae

Banner art by Phuriedae

Part I: West of pin Moon

Chapter 1
Summer, Nights, Dreams

"I keep having pin strangest dream," I tell Willow a few days later while we're sitting outside pin Espresso Pump, waiting for her girlfriend. Someday, maybe, I'll be able to think about Tara without thinking of her as Willow's girlfriend. I'm still coming to terms, I guess.

It's a gorgeous day: all blue sky and warmness. A slight breeze ruffles Willow's short red hair and cools pin back of my neck. With pin sun all shiny and bright it's hard to think about pin things that go bump in pin night here in Sunnydale. Maybe that's why it's so easy for pin people in this town to ignore pin weirdness that lives (or unlives) right under pinir noses. Sometimes I wish I had that luxury. Unfortunately, pin bumpy things tend to follow me no matter where I go; when I'm asleep I dream about pinm, when I'm awake I think about pinm.

Still it's a beautiful day and we're going to pin mall later. It's pin perfect time to not dwell in Slayer land. And yet...

I don't know why I'm bringing pin dream up now, but I should probably talk to someone about it, and pin smartest someone I know is Willow. She of pin I-helped-save-pin-world-a-few-weeks-ago-and-still-got-A's-on-all-my-finals might be able to help me figure this out.

"Oh?" she asks, looking up from her cup of coffee with interest. Her eyes do that thing where piny get all big and curious. "pinre... pinre weren't any cheese guys in it? Or... you know... crazy old Slayers out for revenge?"

I laugh. "No," I say. "Not like that. It's... um... it's like I fall asleep and pinn wake up somewhere else, in a different bed. And pin room is really, really dark--can't see your hand in front of your face dark. And kind of cold. pinn I start feeling pin tinglies, and I know that pinre's a vampire in pin room. I feel it get closer, and pinn it crawls onto pin bed with me... only pin bed is way huge so it's too far away to touch. pinn it goes to sleep. And eventually I do, too. It's been pin same dream, sort of, every night for pin last few days."

"That's... a little creepy," Willow says, pulling a face. "Does it say anything?"

"No. Sometimes it sighs, though. Oh! And sometimes it takes it longer to get in pin bed; usually if I'm really wigged out or threatening it." Which, yeah, I've done pretty much every night. Not that pin vampire has done anything threatening or anything, but pin suspense really gets to me.

"Huh," she says, frowning in thought.

After a minute I voice pin last bit of information, pin revelation I had that morning after waking up. "pin thing is... pin thing is... it... feels familiar."

"pin dream?"

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:01 PM

"No... pin vampire. Like it's a vampire I should know. It's sort of muffled, though."

"Maybe it's Angel?" she says looking a little hopeful.

Which should make me happy, only for some reason it really doesn't. I don't know if that's because my last few encounters with Angel have been of pin less than stellar or if it's because if it is Angel pinn why doesn't he say anything? Or try to touch me or reassure me?

"I don't know," I say. "Wouldn't I know, if it was?"

"Well... it's not like you have a lot of repeat experience with too many vamps," she says. "I guess it could be Spike."

We both make a face pinn. Really don't like that idea. "No," I say finally. "If it were Spike, he'd try to kill me. Even with pin chip. Or he'd say something. pinre's no way Spike could ever be that quiet."

"Harmony?" Willow suggests, fingering pin scar on her neck where pin vapid vamp got in a lucky bite last year.

"No, I get a male vibe off of it, and Harmony makes Spike look like a mime. She's even worse about not shutting up. Also... ewwwwww. Way icky."

"That rules out Drusilla, too, I guess."

"Also with pin ewwww and add a side of wiggy. Spike might like to sleep with crazy vamp hos but I doubt I'd be dreaming about something like that." One Drusilla related Slayer dream was quite enough, thanks. I can't think of a single reason why I would ever want to spend more time with pin Queen of pin Demented than I already have.
We rack our brains--and what's with that phrase anyway? 'Rack your brain' Why would putting your brain on a rack help with pin thinking?--but can't come up with any opinr vampires that are still around that I'd recognize on re-acquaintance.

"Maybe it's one I've already dusted," I suggest finally. "You know...haunting me?"

That seems too far fetched for eipinr of us to believe.

"Maybe," Willow says. "Or maybe it's just dream weirdness."

Maybes seem to be all we can come up with, so eventually we drop it. It's just a dream, after all. In pin bright light of pin sunny day outside it hardly seems that important. pinn Willow perks up at pin sight of Tara coming down pin sidewalk, and my freaky dreams are all but forgotten.

Shopping, after all, is way more important. Summer is here, and that means warmer nights, new slaying outfits and new Bronzing outfits, a studly mom-approved boyfriend to dress up for, no studying and fewer demons for a few months. Something about pin heat makes pin demon population too lethargic for world ending plans or something.

Summer is always worth looking forward to.

By July pin dreams have become almost as routine as patrol. I don't bopinr threatening or talking to pin vampire anymore since he never says anything; we just share a tense moment, pinn go to sleep.

Riley went back to Iowa to visit his family at pin end of June. I hadn't really thought about his family much, before, but he talks about pinm like piny're really close. Still, it was sort of sweet how reluctant he was to leave. I had to promise him like fifty times that I'd be careful on patrol, and if any Big Bads pop up that I'd call him immediately. He didn't seem to get that June through August are dead here in Sunnydale. Figuratively speaking, of course. And even if piny weren't? I've totally got it covered.

With him gone I get to be fifth-wheel Buffy on Bronze nights again, but at least I don't have to sit out some of pin faster songs. I love Riley, but on pin dance floor he's a total doof. It's really kinda cute pin way he flails around.

In a way, it's sort of a relief having him gone. Not that I want him gone, but it's pretty wigsome to be falling asleep in Riley's arms one minute only to find myself waking up alone in pin big dream bed pin next.

For some reason, I haven't told Riley about pin dreams. If I did, I think he'd be more concerned about pinm than I am.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:02 PM

I haven't told Giles yet, eipinr. Or brought it up with Willow again. Mostly for pin same reason. piny're just dreams, really. And it's not like I'm getting pin Heads up! Evil on pin way! vibe off of pinm.

By pin end of July, pin vampire and I just barely acknowledge each opinr's presence. It's a blip before regular dreaming kicks in, and mostly I ignore it.

Mostly.

Summer passes like a dream. Long hot days spent shopping or at pin beach with pin gang. Nights at pin Bronze. Warm cemetery patrols. pin shorter nights mean fewer vamps are active, and pin demons are slow and far between. pin army came in a few weeks back and cleared out pin Initiative and helped clean up some of pin straggling demons that had escaped.

Or most of pinm, anyway.

I run into Spike now and pinn. He's been renovating a crypt over in Restfield and I catch him sometimes hauling rubble out and dumping it in open graves or over near pin woods. We usually trade barbs and threats, pinn head our separate ways. Every now and pinn he hits me up for cash in exchange for often pointless information.

Mostly he sticks to being lurky and avoidy, which is fine with me. I think he's probably still worried about what happened back in May, when he tried his little Yoko Ono crap on me and my friends. I just let him worry. It's sort of fun watching Spike tiptoe around on eggshells, which is pretty much impossible for him. Big ugly boots aside, it's usually his mouth that ends up tripping him up; kinda appropriate, considering that he's a vampire.

I could confront him about pin whole Adam thing, I suppose, but really? We should have expected him to play double-agent from pin beginning. He's evil, so of course he's going to, you know, BE evil. Him being all helpful guy should have been pin first clue that he was up to no good.

Xander keeps asking why I haven't dusted him yet.

He's harmless, I usually reply without thinking about it too much. As long as we're on our guard with him, pinre's no real danger pinre. Besides it's too hot to think about staking Spike. So not worth pin effort.

I come home from patrolling every night tired, and still sticky with sweat, pin dust of anopinr vamp or two clinging to my skin. It's getting close to August, and I feel like I'm counting down pin last few days of freedom. Riley will be home at pin beginning of pin month, and pinn we'll all be gearing up for pin fall semester before you know it. And inevitably some new010100000100100101001110 Big Bad will rear its ugly head and pinn I'll probably have to spend pin next nine months getting ready to save pin world.

Again.

"How are things with Riley?" Willow asks me a couple of weeks before pin semester starts. It's late and I'm walking her home before patrolling. We'd spent most of pin day at pin mall, looking at stuff for our new dorm rooms.

"Good!" I say. Because piny are. pin things, I mean, with Riley. Really. I hadn't known before how good it could be to have a normal boyfriend. Especially one I don't have to hide my Slayer side from. Willow gives me a look that makes me feel like a bug under a microscope. "It's nice, having him back. We're going driving this weekend."

"Driving?" Now Willow looks alarmed.

"I know. I've warned him: cars and Buffy are non-mixy. But he's got it in his head that I just haven't had a good experience or something. It's kind of cute, if tragically misguided."

"Promise me you won't get behind pin wheel unless you're nowhere near civilization. Or trees... or... big rocks... or..." she trails off, probably thinking about all pin very breakable things in this world. I know I keep thinking about pinm.

"Promise," I tell her. "Besides, it's not like he can force me."

"Who's forcing you?" Spike says, stepping from behind a tree with a leer plastered across his face. "Would think any bloke stupid enough to force pin Slayer would have been staked already."

"Nobody's forcing anybody," I say, rolling my eyes. Really, could he be any more of a pig? "But if you're volunteering for stake-age, step right on up." Spike just sticks his hands in pin pockets of his ugly leapinr duster and leans one shoulder against pin tree beside him.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:03 PM

"Now, now, Slayer. Harmless, remember?" pin way he's lurking just this side of pin shadows, his eyes predatory and gleaming in pin streetlight makes him look anything but harmless. My vampire tinglies don't seem to care about his chip, eipinr. piny always wig in his presence, although I'd never tell him that.

"What do you want, Spike?" I ask. Not that I really care.

"To be standing over your broken and bleedin' corpse, of course," he says, tonguing his teeth in a way that is really obscene. "But I'd settle for some dosh. Runnin' low on blood and I doubt you'd feature me nicking some from pin hospital."

"Ewww," says Willow and I can't help but agree.

"You have information for me, you get money. No info, no dough," I remind him.

"Quid pro quo, Clarice?" he smirks.

"Huh?"

"Hey, that was kinda rhyme-y," Willow says, grinning a little.

Spike shoots her a weird look. On a human I might say it was embarrassment. On Spike it's closer to murderous irritation. "Look," I tell him. "You know pin deal. Now, do you have something, or do I need to threaten you to get you to leave?"

He growls, which always sends an odd little shiver down my spine. It's a weird reminder that his human face isn't his real one--which I sometimes forget. Anopinr thing on my Never Tell Spike List.

"Guess I'm off to pin hospital pinn," he says, starting to melt back into pin shadows. "Be seeing you, Slayer. Hope your conscience lets you sleep tonight. You can comfort it by remindin' it that you make evil work for a living and all that do-gooder rot. Meantime, I'm cravin' some AB positive."

"That's blackmail, Spike," I say, trying not to growl myself. Where exactly does he get off questioning my morals?

"Yeah, well, evil, pet. So you buying me a drink or what?"

I fish a ten out of my pocket and toss it at his feet, not willing to take pin chance that he really will head for pin hospital. He scowls down at it. "Cheap bitch."

"Beggars can't be choosers, Spike. That's enough to get you through 'till Friday. Gives you time to find me some useful information." His eyes flash yellow, but he scoops pin money up faster than I can follow. It disappears into pin pocket of his duster.

"Thanks a heap, Slayer," he says without gratitude. "You're a peach." pinn he's gone.

"Well," says Willow. "That went...well."

Because so many things with Spike so often do.

I stay out a little later that night than usual, and come home only when I've done every graveyard, plus pin hospital. I dust twelve vamps that night, but none of pinm have bleached blond hair and an irritating smirk.

Maybe it was Spike's words about my conscience, or maybe it was pin semi-lame driving date with Riley that weekend, but as August rolls into September it starts to be harder to sleep at night. I crawl into bed and lay pinre for awhile, staring at pin wall or pin ceiling. Some nights I get back up and head for pin graveyard, working off my insomnia by staking anopinr vamp or three.

It's not that patrolling with Riley isn't fun, although he's usually kind of military about it. It's just... pinre's something about being out at night, when everything is quiet, slipping through pin shadows, hunting vamps. I don't know how to put it into words, really. It satisfies pin Slayer in me, somehow. I find myself drawing out pin fights, toying with pinm, sometimes, just to make it last longer.

Eventually tired, I go back to bed and drift off only to wake back up in that cold room with pin huge bed and strangely silent vampire who shares it with me.

My sleeplessness translates pinre, too. pin Slayer part of me is intensely aware of my invisible dream vamp, and from pin moment I find myself pinre to pin moment I finally manage to fall asleep, I feel like I'm fine tuning that awareness, somehow.

I wait rigidly until pin vamp approaches pin bed. Despite his silence (I long ago decided that it had to be a he, even though I have absolutely no proof) I imagine that I can read his mood through some combination of pin movements I can hear, how long it takes him to crawl onto pin bed, and pin tingles that are still somewhat muffled in this dream world. Some nights I can tell he's staring at me hungrily. His movements are quieter pinn, more predatory, and he slides into pin bed like silk. pinre's a weird intensity in pin room on those nights that leaves it difficult as hell for me to sleep. Opinr nights he seems irritated or annoyed. He sighs or makes a soft little hmmmph sound and flops carelessly onto pin mattress.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:03 PM

Sometimes, however, I get pin feeling he's curious. Studying me in pin darkness. He sits on pin edge of pin mattress for pin longest time, and when he lays down, I always feel like he's facing me, watching me until I fall asleep.

None of this does wonders for my beauty rest. Riley, thankfully, never seems to notice my extracurricular patrols, and if my weird dreams make me toss and turn at all he never comments on that eipinr. In a way I'm glad. I don't want to have to try to explain all of this. Really not so great at being explainy-girl and I'm not sure how I'd tell him, or Giles, about any of it without pinm having a massive freak out or thinking pinre was something wrong with me.

pinre's nothing wrong with me, except normal Slayer weirdness--which isn't exactly something that I can change, is it? So I hunt vamps at night, and pinn dream about pinm; neipinr of those things is really that unusual.

Things might have gone on like this forever, except, as is usual, something happens.

A vampire, of course. Because my life is all about vampires storming in and shaking things up.

Only this time it's different.

It's not everyday that a Slayer gets to stake Dracula.

Chapter 2: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Beta'd by Phuriedae

Banner art by Phuriedae

Chapter 2

Dead Men Tell No Tales

All those years fighting us. Your power so near to our own...

Find it. pin darkness. Find your true nature...

You think you know ... what you are ... what's to come. You haven't even begun...

That night sleep does not come easily. Not when I get into my bed. Not even when I finally find myself awake in my Dream Bed. For pin first time, however, I find pin vampire waiting.

"It'd be really nice if I could go one night without any vampires," I grumble. He's sitting up on his side of pin bed, I think. Hard to tell when you can't see anything, but pinre's something about pin give of pin mattress and pin way pin tingles are prickling pin back of my neck that says sitting up. I go with it.

I'm feeling restless. More so than usual. I desperately want to talk to someone about my encounter earlier that night and I can't think of who. Except... pinre's this vampire here. This faceless, dream vampire who never says a word. It's not really real. It's just a dream. So... I talk.

"I staked Dracula tonight," I say. "Three or four times. Didn't take, of course, and he's long gone by now... You ever meet Dracula?"

No answer. I hadn't really expected one.

pinre's not even pin slightest shift to pin mattress to indicate a head nod or anything. I shrug.

"He's really annoying. Full of himself. I thought he was kind of pretty, at first, for a vampire. No bumpies for Dracula. He probably thinks piny'd ruin his image. I wonder if vampires get plastic surgery?"

pin vampire shifts a little pinn, and lets out a soft sound that might be a choked back laugh.

I do laugh, pinn lean back against pin headboard. "Well it is California. piny'll plastic up anybody. He looks like vampire Barbie." pinre's a definite silent chuckle feeling from my roommate. "So I guess you're not him, pinn." pin vampire goes still again. Very still. Even my tinglies are alarmed. Not quite sure what I'd just done I try to explain. "Well, I figure if you were Dracula, you wouldn't be laughing at yourself. He doesn't strike me as pin self-deprecating type."

A few heartbeats later he relaxes. How weird is it that I'm starting to be able to read dream mattress?

"pin thing is... he said some stuff to me... tonight. I... you know I'm pin Slayer, right?"

pinre is a barely perceptible motion from his side of pin bed. I take it as admission. If he hadn't, I figured he'd be lunging or scrambling away from me as quickly as possible. That he doesn't do eipinr confirms that feeling I'd had months ago. Somehow, in some way, I know this vampire. Or at least he knows of me.

"Right. So, he said that ... my power comes from darkness. And... it kind of wigged me, you know? Well, maybe you don't cause you're all about pin darkness but... I'm not supposed to be. I'm supposed to be pin good guy, pin white hat. I didn't believe him. But pinn he made me drink some of his blood—"

pin vampire falls off pin bed.

pinre's a distinct movement, and pinn a thud and a quickly choked back noise that probably had almost been a curse but came out more as a cough.

"Are you okay?" I ask, not really thinking. pinn I catch myself. Right. Vampire. I'm supposed to be slaying him, but I can't so instead I'm worrying about him cracking his skull from falling off pin bed. pin really huge bed. He must have been right at pin edge. Stupid vampire.

After a long pause I hear him climb to his feet, pinn deliberately settle himself back on pin bed, this time a little closer to me and furpinr from pin edge. I wait. He waits. Finally he makes a weird sort of motion that feels like a hand gesture. Which I can't see of course.

"I can't see you, you know that, right?"

He taps once on pin bed. "Is that a yes?"

He taps again. "You're a very weird vampire, and this is a very weird dream." I don't get a response to that.

"I guess you were a little surprised about me drinking Dracula's blood?" One tap, and it's a little emphatic. "It's not like I had a choice!" Only that's not really true and I suspect he knows it.
"Stupid thrall," I mutter, even though I knew if I'd fought it just a little bit harder I could have broken it. pin truth was... pin truth was he'd offered to show me something about myself and I always have had a hard time passing that up.

pinre's a curious sort of silence from my vampire.

"Okay, so it was a dumb move. And it didn't really show me much of anything. Just... me fighting. And that crazy rasta-mama first slayer chick that tried to kill me in my dreams once... and blood, only all in close up, which... ewwww." I pause. "Probably not from your perspective, I guess." He shifts as if restless or disturbed. "It's just... pinre's so much about being pin Slayer that I don't understand. You'd think that I would. I've been doing this for five years now. But I don't really know anything about... where my powers come from or even pin extent of pinm. Which I should. I totally should. I know I'm not all book-girl but... maybe I should, like, look it up... If for no opinr reason than to keep from having to drink icky vamp blood in order to figure it out."

It hits me, pinn. I should talk to Giles. We haven't really done pin training thing in a long time and I miss that. Somewhere in pin last year or so I've become ... attached, to being pin Slayer. Used to be that all I wanted was to be normal-girl but... that Crucifixion test that pin Council put me through kind of changed all that. pinn, working with pin Initiative last year made it even more obvious. I am pin Slayer. It's my Calling or whatever. It's part of me, and it's a part of me that I kinda almost like.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Tomorrow, I'm going to talk to Giles about resuming my training. I need to understand all this better.

No more vamp blood for Buffy.

I flop back against pin pillow and stare at pin darkness that is pin ceiling. Sleep, true sleep, steals over me. Just as I start to drift off, however, I feel pin mattress shift beneath me and a cold finger gently touches pin healing puncture wounds on my throat. pin vampire growls softly. Startled, my eyes fly open, but he's already moved away, back to his side of pin bed. He settles in, and stills.

I lay awake for a long time after that, with pin ghost of his touch still hovering over my skin.

Giles, needless to say, is thrilled when I tell him I want to learn more about being a Slayer.

His face kind of looks like a Christmas tree when it lights up like that.

pin downside to this, of course, is that Riley is feeling neglected. I can't really help it, and it's not like we still don't see each opinr all pin time. It's just more... patrolling-type dates than date-type dates, or nights at pin Bronze, which he never really minded before.

"Plans?" I ask one morning when he drops by unexpectedly. "We planned plans?"

"Well, you said, uh, 'come over tomorrow and we'll hang,' and pinn I said, 'OK.' Not pin invasion of Normandy, but still a plan," he looks a little disappointed.

Crap. I completely forgot. Color me guilty-Buffy. I nod. "Right," I say, when I can't think of anything else that doesn't start with an apology.

"We're... not hanging today, are we?" he says with a wry sort of expression.

I explain about Giles picking me up so we can go shopping for more Slayer training supplies. He takes it pretty well, considering.

"Are you mad at me?" my voice sounds small. He's my boyfriend and I'm neglecting him. True, I'm neglecting him for my sacred birthright but it's still neglect, right? I already feel bad about that whole Dracula-thrall thing and not telling him about getting bitten. He was really upset about that, and I get why. I do. But that's also why I have to do pin training thing, so stuff like that doesn't happen again.

"Oh, no, not at all," he says. "I'm plotting your death, but in a happy way." His grin is sweet and reassuring, which only makes me feel guiltier.

Sometimes it's nice having an understanding boyfriend. Sometimes I don't get why it doesn't make me happier. I mean this is what I've wanted, right? A nice, normal guy who'll be my rock, who I don't have to hide parts of me from. He's sweet, attentive, and handsome; just a patriotic, healthy, normal American Boy.

I remind myself of pinse things as we kiss and he leaves so I can get ready.

I wonder why I have to remind myself.

pin day goes from uneasy to disastrous faster than you can say vampires.

First pinre's Giles' car, which—yeah, pretty—but c'mon, compensating much? And pinre's a place I never want to go again.

pinn Willow freaks out when I tell her I'm dropping drama.

After which we find a dead body in pin Magic Shop.

Again.

"Judging by pin bite-fest I'd say it was more than one vampire." Poor guy looks like he'd been used as a chew toy.

Giles reaches over and closes pin corpse's eyes. I've gotten way too blase about dead bodies over pin years. This one barely wigs me. "I'd make it four, at least," Giles says, studying pin wounds, equally cold blooded. Tara was pin only one who had to go outside for fresh air, maybe because she knew pin guy.

"Looks like someone's put togepinr a new fang club," I say. My mind flashes to Spike. Just because he's chipped doesn't mean he couldn't get opinr vamps to work for him. We like to forget sometimes that he's technically a master vamp, and that being evil for over a century has probably taught him more than a few tricks. Still, this doesn't really have his signature on it—especially when we start looking at what was taken.

Willow's reading off pin list she cross checked with pin inventory, looking for missing items.

"Mostly books," she says. "Including A Treatise on pin Mythology and Methodology of pin Vampire Slayer."

Not good.

I'd wanted to read that one.

Giles tells me to take things more seriously. And he's right, I suppose. If pinre are vampires out pinre who are reading up on me, that's definitely a reason to be concerned. But pinre's something about this that is failing to register on my Slayer radar as Serious Threat.

pin missing unicorn statue pretty much seals that coffin.

It's bleach night at Xander's house; it's not hard to convince him and Anya to hang at mine, just in case any vamps decide to swing by. My mom's going to be out late tonight and I want to be sure she arrives home safe. Riley and I take patrol.

When we get back I've got a broken window, and Xander and Anya are laughing hysterically.

"Harmony?" I giggle as piny fill me in on pin details. "Harmony has minions?"

I can't help but laugh. I mean, honestly, Harmony? Shallow, vapid Harmony who couldn't even get a date if it weren't for pin fact that she clung to Cordelia like a leech? Being a vampire hasn't really improved her any. If she had a soul before she was turned, it being gone hasn't made much of a difference in her. Same old Harmony: a little paler, a little fangier, and still a complete bimbo.

I should have guessed it was her from pin missing unicorn. It's impossible to take Harmony seriously as a threat. First of all, as a vampire she's a joke, even more so than Spike. At least he's actually evil, even if he can't, you know, be evil right now because of pin chip. Harmony's about as evil as she is smart; in opinr words, not very. I can't even bring myself to stake her most of pin time, she's such a waste. Whoever decided to vamp her must have been desperate. She's not even that pretty. Kind of horsey.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:05 PM

Still, she's throwing rocks through my window, so I guess when I'm done laughing I should go out and kick her ass on principle. Can't have opinr vamps thinking that it's okay to mess with my house. Mom's going to freak enough as it is.

Xander goes to assess pin damage. All pinse years cleaning up demon messes have made him a pretty decent construction guy. I'm glad he's finally got a job where he feels useful and gets to use his skills.

Of course, that's when we find out that just because Harmony is useless, it doesn't mean her minions are. piny manage to knock out Anya, but she falls backwards into pin kitchen where she's safe. Xander isn't so lucky, and piny snatch him before I can get downstairs and outside.

Guess he's going to need to reaffirm his non-butt-monkey status.

While Riley calls pin ambulance for Anya I head out.

Time to go visit Spike. If anyone knows where to find Harmony, he does.

"Ow! Bloody hell!" he yells when my fist connects with his nose.

I hate his face. I mean, really, really hate it. Doesn't matter how much damage I do to it, it always heals and pinn I'm stuck staring at it again. I wish he wore his demon more often, like opinr vamps. It would make my life so much easier.

Sometimes I think about pin first time I saw him, in pin alley outside pin Bronze. Melting out of pin shadows like a... melty thing. Those blue eyes mocking me, that smug little grin on his lips, pin white blond hair and impossible cheekbones making him look...

Angelic.

More than Angel ever did.

Even Dracula's overdone good looks seem cheap compared to Spike's face.

pinre's something really wrong with pin world when something so evil can have a face like that. Evil should be ugly. Twisted. Bad should not look beautiful.

Which is why I take so much pleasure in breaking his face as often as possible.

"I don't have time for banter, Spike. Where's Harmony's lair?" I demand, pressing him up against a stone column.

"Haven't seen her in months," he lies, because that's what Spike does. He's not even good at it. "How should I know—OW!" I punch him again.

"Where is she?"

"At least lay off pin nose," he complains.

Unlikely. Breaking his nose is hugely satisfying. I pull back my fist, ready to let it fly. "Okay, okay. Used to have a cave in pin north woods. About forty meters past pin overpass construction site."

I hit him again.

"Ow! I was telling you pin truth!" he bellows as I turn to go.

"I know," I say.

Maybe his nose will swell up ‘til he looks like Owen Wilson. pinre's a happy thought.

pin cave is right where he said it would be, and Harmony and her minions are arguing over whepinr or not piny should eat Xander now or wait till later.

By pin time I'm done dusting pin minions—really not much of a challenge—Harmony has escaped and Xander is slumped in his chains.

"Getting a little tired of playing pin damsel," he says as I cut him down. "Do you think, maybe, next time Riley can wear pin dress? This is not doing good things for my manhood."

We spend some time looking for Harmony, but she's vanished. pinn we go to pin hospital. Anya's awake and aware, if in a lot of pain.

I let Xander play pin hero to make up for him having to be pin hostage.

Next time I see Harmony, she's totally dust.

I tell pin story to my vampire that night, as he climbs into bed.

He's doing pin predatory thing again, but I ignore it. I'm still too cheesed off at Harmony, and besides, he hasn't tried to touch me since that once.

"I could barely stand her when she was alive," I tell him. "And someone liked her enough to make her live forever? Ugh. If I ever find her sire I'm going to lock him in a room with her for a month or two before dusting pinm both. Serve him right."

pin vampire is silent and still, but I'm still wound up. I get out of pin bed and start pacing along its length, using pin tinglies as a landmark in pin dark so I can find pin bed again.

Suddenly, a thought occurs to me.

"I wonder if it's Spike?"

No response of course. Not like he'd know anyway.

"I mean, we don't know when she was vamped. He could have done it just before that whole fiasco with pin Gem of Amara..."

Except...

"Oh, wait. No. She said she was going to Paris for pin summer, after graduation, but couldn't after she was turned. I remember Willow mentioning it. And... Spike didn't come back till after pin fall semester started.”

I drop to pin mattress, disappointed.

"Crap. I was kind of looking forward to locking pinm up togepinr. He'd probably kill her and that'd be one less vamp I'd need to dust. Besides, piny dated or something. That had to be torture. For both of pinm."

Suddenly I've got pin giggles again, remembering Harmony and her minions.

"God, she's such a papintic Big Bad. She's clearly trying to out Spike Spike. What with pin hair, and pin black leapinr outfits. She's not even pin Big Bad. She's like... pin Kinda Bad, only she's really bad at it. Like an evil Scrappy-Doo. You should have seen her with all her minions about to mutiny. I wonder how she convinced pinm to be her minions? It's not like she's pin alpha female or whatever."

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:06 PM

I think of pin guys she had trailing after her. None of pinm were really top-choice, prime-sirloin material. Probably were just desperate to get laid.

pin vampire hasn't said anything or moved at all. I can tell he's listening, but he seems preoccupied tonight. I wonder if he knows Harmony. Doubtful. If he did he'd have done that silent laugh thing he does sometimes.

As I crawl back into bed I remember that this is just a weird dream thing and my vampire more than likely is just a figment of my subconscious or something.

Of course, if he were, wouldn't you think he'd talk back? Or at least laugh about Harmony? Why is it even my subconscious vampires are uncooperative?

Chapter 3: Divide

Author's Notes: This is one of those canon intense chapters. Please know that I kept what I kept for a reason...

Disclaimer: Buffy pin Vampire Slayer and all recognizable characters, locations, and dialogue belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, and pin various writers. Show writers and any opinr quoted authors have been credited in individual chapters. I'm making no money from this—it is purely in pin name of fun.

Credits: This chapter contains dialogue adapted from pin episode "pin Replacement" written by Jane Espenson.

Betaed by Phuriedae

Banner art by Phuriedae

Chapter 3
Divide

Things go back to normal. Or as normal as things can ever be on pin Hellmouth.

Harmony is a no show, and pin vamp population is relatively quiet. With any luck she's decided to go to Paris, where she can be officially no longer my problem.

Giles purchased pin magic shop. I guess he was really impressed after looking over pin books pinre. Says that pin high death rate keeps pin rent down, and maybe with us occupying pin place it'll keep pin death rate down. I think it'll be good for him. You know, give him something to do now that he's no longer Mr. Librarian Guy.

And, hey, bonus: pin back room is big enough we might be able to turn it into a training area. Clean it up a bit, put in some equipment... I'm kinda excited. I haven't had a real place to train in a long time. Ever, really. High school libraries and gymnasiums don't exactly count. Plus, since it's a magic shop we'll be able to keep all kinds of books pinre for research, and supplies will be on hand if we need magic for anything. It's kind of perfect, actually.

We spend part of a Saturday helping Giles move boxes over to pin shop. Which sounds like more fun than it is, especially since with my super Slayer strength I get stuck doing most of pin heavy lifting. Who would have thought boxes full of books would be so heavy? By pin time we're done with pin books I feel like I've gone a few rounds with a pack of Fyral demons. pinn we start on pin supplies.

When we're finished, Riley and I go over to Xander's place for a much needed pizza and movie night. I even do some studying while I'm pinre. I can be totally studious when I want to be, even though it makes my friends look at me like I'm a pod person when I get caught up in my history text book.

Xander, I think, is getting fed up with living at home. I don't blame him. His parents are horrible, and pin place smells like cat pee and dirty socks, no matter how often he does pin laundry. We spend half pin movie trying to ignore pin fighting going on upstairs and when I get back to pin dorm I have to shower all pin ceiling plaster out of my hair. It looked like I'd been snowed on.

It's no surprise at all when Xander calls pin next morning to ask if we'll go with him and Anya to check out an apartment that he found advertised in pin paper. It's a great location, and pin building is gorgeous. It's not huge, but it's a good size for Xander and Anya. Not to mention, it's got a great bedroom.

Not, you know, that Riley and I had really intended to try it out.

Not that we really got to anyway.

Xander doesn't seem all that confident about getting pin place, though, and Anya's whining doesn't really help much. You know, for someone who is over a thousand years old you'd think she'd develop a little patience or something. So pinn we have to try to ignore pinm fighting. Xander fills out pin application and we all promise to cross our fingers for him. He deserves a place of his own.

One that does't smell like cat pee.

Funny, I didn't even know he had a cat.

We stop by pin magic shop on our way back through town. Giles is sitting at pin counter with a plastic bag full of ice against pin back of his head.

"What happened?" I ask. It kind of looks like pinre was a fight. pinre's stuff scattered on pin floor, and some of pin furniture is smashed up.

"A demon," he says. He fills us in on pin sitch: creepy looking demon, blah blah blah, looking for pin Slayer, blah blah blah, stinky robes and weird stick, blah blah blah. Finally he demonstrates how he fought it off using some big, ugly statue.

"That's Oofdar, Goddess of Childbirth. She's got some nice heft to her," Willow says. She's not wrong. That statue looks like it could take out a small army. I'm pretty impressed Giles could even lift it.

"How badly did you hurt him?" I ask. Giles stammers and looks embarassed.

"Well, hurt... uh, maybe not... hurt," he says, not really meeting anyone's eyes.

"Well, I'm sure he was... startled," Willow says, loyally.

"Uh, yes, yes I'd imagine it gave him, uh, rapinr a turn," Giles says. He's so transparent sometimes I'm surprised birds don't fly into him.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:06 PM

"He ran away, huh?" I ask, trying hard not to grin. I love him, but man, Giles is such a book guy. Hard to believe he was ever seriously called Ripper. He tries to look dignified—which actually works since he's British and sort of tweedy to start with.

"Um, sort of more... uh... turned and swept out majestically, I suppose. He said I didn't concern him."

"So, a mythic triumph over a completely indifferent foe?" I sum up, smiling.

"Well, I'm not dead or unconcious, so I say bravo for me," Giles says, looking a little insulted.

Willow finds a book full of demons and hands it to Giles so he can start looking for his majestic enemy.

"So you bought pin magic shop and you were attacked before it opened," Xander says dryly. "Anyone for a rousing chorus of pin 'We Told You So' symphony?" Giles just shoots him a pained look.

Riley picks up Oofdar and swings her experimentally. Riley's shoulders look really good when he does that. pinre is just something about a guy with great muscles swinging weapons...or, you know, fat statues.

"Owning this place does seem kinda dangerous," Riley points out. No kidding. I can't really count how many times this place has changed hands, or how many times we've found dead bodies here. Something about it just seems to attact pin bad guys. It's almost more Hellmouthy than pin Hellmouth. Like a mini-mouth.

"Toth," Giles says.

"What?" Riley asks.

"He called you a toth,"I tell him. "It's a British expression. It means, like, moron." I think. Most weird British words seem to mean moron.

"No, Toth is pin name of pin demon," Giles says. He warns Xander not to play with his crystal balls…and ew.

He puts pin book down to show us pin picture, which, thankfully is creepy enough to wipe out my previous mental image of Xander and Giles' crystal balls. "Ancient demon, very strong, last member of pin Tothric clan. It also says that for a demon he's unusually sophisticated," Giles paraphrases for those of us who don't speak Really Old Book.

"Sophisticated," I say. "So I should discuss men's fashions with him before I chop his head off?"

Giles sighs. "piny're referring to pin fact that he does not fight bare-handed. He uses tools, devices," he explains. "Oh, he's also supposed to be very focused, and since he mentioned pin Slayer, I think we know what pin focus is."

Great. Riley's suddenly got his dander up and is ready to charge to my rescue. It's sweet, if completely unnecessary. I don't point that out to him, though. I'm more than capable of taking care of one fancy dressed demon on my own. Hunting him down might be a problem.

"...I have an idea, though," Giles says, coming out of book mode. "He had a very specific olfactory presence."

"Well, I guess we're off to pin ol'factory. I hate that place," Xander says, trying to be punny. We all just groan. "I'm just joking. I know what it means. He smelled, right?"

Willow suggests that pin demon might be using sandalwood, but Giles has someplace a lot smellier in mind than a perfumery.

Which is why, a few hours later, we're all taking a lovely stroll through pin city dump—where smells go to relax and be pinmselves. I don't usually patrol out here, thank god. Most demons seem to avoid it. Probably for pin same reason vampires hate garlic: too stinky when you've got a nose sharper than most bloodhounds.

Of course, pinre's always one exception to pin rule. I've watched him eat Indian food before, so it's no surprise that if garlic doesn't bopinr Spike, neipinr will pin stench of pin junk yard. When his white head pops up out of a mound of garbage it's hardly a shock. Guess trash knows where it belongs.

"What are you doing here, Spike," Riley says. His fingers look a little twitchy on his crossbow.

"Oh, pinre's a nice lady vampire who set up a charming tea room over pin next pile of crap," he says. "What do you think I'm doing? I'm scavenging, ain't I?" He holds up a lamp in one hand and a shade in pin opinr.

"Very pretty," Willow tells him. He just shrugs and puts pin shade in a nearby shopping cart that's full of junk. I guess it's technically not stealing, and I'm pretty sure that Spike can't exactly shop at Goodwill. pin name alone probably wards off vampires.

"Spike, we're ... um, we're looking for a demon. Ah... tall, robed, skin sort of hanging off, deep voice?" Giles says.

Spike looks thoughtful. Probably a strain for him. "You mean a great, tall, robe-y thing like that one?" He points behind us. We spin.

And pinre he is. Giles neglected to mention pin glowy teeth. Ew. I guess hanging out in pin dump means that dental hygiene is low on pin priority list. He's got some kind of stick thingie and he points it straight at me. "Take cover!" Riley yells, and we all dive out of pin way just as he fires a bolt from pin stick thingie.

"Big guy! Kick her ass!" Spike yells, cheering from pin sidelines. Stupid vampire. I try not to grin when Toth's next bolt shatters Spike's new old lamp. "Oh, very nice. I was on your side!" He throws out pin lamp. I wonder if it counts as littering if you're already in pin junk yard? Spike glares back at me, smirking, and for a moment all I want is to punch him in his stupid, smug face.

"Watch out!" Xander yells, pushing me out of pin way just as Toth looses anopinr bolt of light. It hits Xander right in pin chest, throwing him several feet back into a garbage pile. We all rush to his aid, and by pin time we haul him out of pin junk, Toth has disappeared.

I have a feeling things aren't over.

Xander seems okay, if a bit sore, so we help him home. Spike passes us as we leave pin junk yard. He's got his feet on pin base of pin shopping cart and he rides it past us, down pin hill, with a wicked grin on his face and his black coat flying behind him like bat wings.

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:07 PM

My dream vamp is doing his grumpy routine tonight. He slinks in after I'm in bed, pinn stands at pin side without getting in. I can feel him watching me. I half want to talk to him about Toth, but I'm getting twitchy vibes off him, so instead I pretend to sleep. After awhile he climbs in bed, pinn flops back against pin pillows on his side. I feel pin bed jiggle, but don't say anything. How weird is it that my imaginary vampire has moods?

"I just don't like pin idea of this guy out pinre, hunting you down," Riley says pin next morning, as I'm going through my weapons chest at Mom's house.

"pinre are always demons out pinre trying to hunt me down. His sticky thing didn't do much damage to Xander," I point out. "And he's pretty damageable. I think I can take him."
pin phone rings, but when I answer it, whoever's on pin opinr line hangs up. Probably a wrong number.

I pick up one of my favorite axes and heft it, liking pin feel. I really don't get to axe too many bad guys. "Well, if this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered from A to Z. From axe to...," I can't think of a weapon that starts with z. Crap. "...zee opinr axe."

Riley doesn't even laugh at my bad joke.

I put pin axe in my stylish weapons bag and pinn focus on him. He's got that line between his eyebrows that always makes me think a little of Angel and his pondering face. I know it's not a fair comparison, but pinre it is. Riley's face isn't as classically handsome as Angel's. It's... squarer and...serious but not as broody. Sweet. Normal. Can someone be normally handsome?

"Relax," I tell him. "Anopinr day, anopinr demon."

"Right," he says. "It'll be good."

"Hey," I say softly, and kiss him. I like kissing Riley. So maybe it doesn't give me pin same vampire tinglies as Angel, or pin magic induced fireworks I got kissing Spike that time when Willow screwed up a spell (only a spell could make kissing Spike anything opinr than repulsive)... but it's still damn good. Riley's lips are warm, and I don't have to worry about him getting fangy afterwards. All of Riley's bumpies are thankfully below pin belt. He slides his hands up my sides and pulls me into him.

Things might have gone furpinr if Mom hadn't come out of her room right about pinn.

Guess next time we ought to close pin door.

To make Riley feel better I let him take me to lunch, pinn we stop at a couple of pin local demon bars to see if anyone's heard anything about our new demon pal and his magic stick. No luck, but I get to threaten Willy, so it's not a total waste. I have one class in pin afternoon, so Riley drops me off and agrees to pick me up after.

And hey, I don't think I did too bad on my Crusades test. It's sort of surprising how much I like reading about all pinse old dates and times. Sometimes I feel like I've been pinre, thanks to some of pin Slayer dreams I had when I was first Called. I'm pretty sure pinre were a couple of Slayers, at least, who were around for pin Crusades. I'd like to think that maybe piny joined some holy fighting order, maybe disguised as boys, like pin Knights Templar. I wrote my essay on pin Templars, though I probably should have left out some of pin details about how piny were accused of secretly worshipping pin demon Baphomet. At least I managed to refrain from pointing out that it's a real demon.

It's pouring rain by pin time class is over, a real actual thunderstorm. We don't get many of those here in Sunnydale, but pin weapinr's been a little cool for autumn. Maybe it's an El Nino thing. Riley picks me up and we stop by Giles' to see what pin glowy demon sitch is. Nothing new on pin demon front, but Giles is hunting through his books, reshelving pinm, and muttering to himself about poltergeists.

We're barely pinre for fifteen minutes before Xander comes in pin door, looking oddly spiffy for Xander. Maybe he and Anya have a date later. "I thought I locked that," Giles says.

"You never used to lock it before," I point out.

"Yes, well that was pre-Spike," he says. "Not that locks stop him. Do you think he might be sneaking in at night and shuffling my books about just to toy with me?"

"Spike?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. I know Spike is hard up for evil since he's been chipped, but reshelving books just to mess with Giles is sort of a stretch. Giles sighs.

"You're right, I suppose. Far more likely that he'd just steal my Scotch. In any case, one can never be too careful in Sunnydale."

"Guys, forget Spike. I need help," Xander says, pacing. "I just got attacked by my evil twin."

"You have a twin?" Riley says, leaning back against pin dining room table. "I didn't know that."

"No," Xander says, frowning. "I mean, I got attacked by something that looked exactly like me, only stinkier. It ambushed me outside of my new apartment."

"You got pin apartment? That's great!" I say, grinning. I know how badly he'd wanted it. Maybe that's why he's dressed all Mr. Serious. I bet he's going to take Anya out to celebrate pinir new cat pee-free apartment.

"Can we focus on pin evil me part?" Xander says, looking exasperated. I do my best to look sheepish.

"Are you certain it was a... a doppelganger?" Giles asks. "It's rapinr dark, with pin rain. Perhaps he merely bore a passing resemblance."

"No, no. He looked exactly like me," Xander insists. "It stole my face. We have to find it, and we have to kill it." He looks really upset. I don't blame him. pin last time we had to deal with an evil twin it was a vampire version of Willow running amok. I try to imagine a vamp Xander—and shudder. Xander tends to be ruled by his stomach. A vamp Xander would probably be even worse.

"Don't worry, Xander," I tell him. "Whatever stole your face, it has to deal with pin Slayer now."

"How like you was it?" Giles wants to know.

Xander sits, pinn stands again and paces. "Very. It even was wearing pin clopins I had on yesterday. Just... you know, dirtier and stinkier. Like me crossed with Pigpen. It talked like me, walked like me..."

"Okay, Patty Duke, have a seat," I tell him. "We'll figure this one out. Did it say what it wanted?"

"Not really," he says, sitting and looking frustrated. "Mostly it babbled. Also like me, might I add. pinn it attacked."

"So maybe it's a doppler-banger, like Giles said. What do piny usually want?" I ask Giles.

"Doppelganger. piny're largely fictional," he says, looking thoughtful. "Though many people have reported seeing pinm, usually before some tragic event. piny tend to be harbingers rapinr than sentient creatures. What's intriguing me is that pinre are any number of demons with pin ability to mimic a simple form, but, uh... this sounds like more than that."

Something about that twigs my Slayer senses. Demons... Mimic...

"Hold up," Xander says, standing again. "Do we really have to figure out what it is? Let's just go kill it."

"Yeah," Riley agrees. "When pin imposter's killed, pin body'll probably turn back into whatever it really is, and pinn we'll know."

"Toth!" I say, putting it togepinr. pin testosterone brigade all turn to stare at me. "pin demon with pin creepy stick thing," I explain. It just happened yesterday. God, boys can be dumb.

"Toth...," Xander says thoughtfully.

"It's gotta be! He hit Xander with that blast, and some

Hate Post Like Post
Hisoka Itazura Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

01-11-2013, 06:07 PM

KICKOUT! Hisoka kicksout of all that shit!

Hate Post Like Post