Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-02-2024, 10:55 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Developmental Show?
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 05:50 PM

I've been doing some thinking and I've talked briefly with Shane about it. He backs the idea, so I wanted to go ahead and bring it up for debate and gauge the interest of those of you in the XWF Community.

I want to start a developmental show that is run right here on the XWF site. The point behind it is to give those of you who want to improve on your writing ability, the opportunity to take part in a show that is specifically designed to help you get the most out of your writing.

Any of you that are interested would not be forced to solely stick to the developmental brand. The show's focus would not be on results, but in me and others that want to help me, spend time with you one on one to help you begin to realize your full potential as writers. More on that later.

It would have its own 'brand' name and top title. Being the champion of such a show would require you to defend no less than twice per month.

I would want a RP limit of no more than 3 per week in order to allow you all to have fun and really focus on quality rather than quantity.

Wins and losses within the developmental show would only count for or against your show record and not reflect your XWF record for those of you that like to keep track.

More on the results topic. They would not be full results like you've grown accustomed to me writing when I ran Madness. They'd be shorter results with match summaries rather than all out craziness in match writing. The reason I gave up Madness was because I could no longer juggle real life, RPing and running a show that constantly reached near 100 pages and 15,000 words.

The focus, as stated earlier, would be to help develop you as a writer, and to encourage more participation by YOU sending in segments and things of that nature.

It would also be "opt in only" as opposed to having its own roster like Madness and Warfare.

I'd also like for one of the more established writers to participate once per month to place up against the champion in a non title fashion in order to test you and your improvement.

Finally... it's time for your thoughts. What do you like? What do you dislike? Would those of you that want to improve be willing to participate in such a show?

Opinions... I want them.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 10 users Like Paul Heyman's post:
Barney Green (01-23-2014), Ezekiel Carter-Williams V (01-23-2014), Great Buzzard Eli James IV (01-24-2014), Hunter Payne (01-23-2014), John Samuels (01-23-2014), Minxs (01-23-2014), Sewaside (01-23-2014), Steve "KingSlayer" Davids (01-23-2014), The Linguist (01-23-2014), Theo Pryce (01-24-2014)
Theo Pryce Offline
King of Kings
Management Lv. E-Rex

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

01-23-2014, 06:06 PM

I think this is a fantastic idea. I think there are definitely people that could benefit from it. Hell, none of us are perfect and could all use a little guidance here or there. Having the ability to write freely without seeing your record get tarnished(if that is something that is important to you) is a great perk. Being able to get some tips from some of the best in the fed is something that everyone should welcome. Even if you may think you are the best, you can improve. Depending on how many people take up this opportunity, I would welcome the chance to work with anyone who wants my opinion or help. I say that, believing that I myself and not good enough to really offer anything of value. But I am also a habitual debbie downer when it comes to my own work so others may disagree. I would love to mentor someone if you wanted to go that route as well.

Ultimately I think this idea can have a positive effect on this fed now and in the future.

[Image: XCwEiv2.png]
Hate Post Like Post
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 06:10 PM

A fourth show would be nuts, but I guess anything is possible.

Why not take Warfare and turn it into this 3 RP "developmental" show?

This way, our weekly routine would cover everyone's writing styles and RP habits.

Shove-It Weekends:
Crazy/unrealistic content
Standard RP rules
Normal results write up

Monday Madness:
Mature content
Standard RP rules
Normal results write up

Wednesday Warfare:
Mature content
3 RPs per week
Summaries (since the main focus would be feedback)

Also with this new Warfare format, you're giving people the option to do shows where they don't have to worry about doing 5 RPs a week.
Hate Post Like Post
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 06:16 PM

Madness and Warfare have their own rosters. This developmental show would not really have a roster. It'd be open to those that want help. If you take one of the other shows away, now you're talking about forcing half of the XWF to compete on a show where they may not have time to do so.
Hate Post Like Post
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

01-23-2014, 06:22 PM

I like the idea of the show and it reminds me a lot of what Impact used to be when it was our entry level show. Going several years before that, we had a span of time where Monday Massacre was our lower tier show. People would "graduate" from those shows once they were ready to battle the main players.

Sounds like this new show will give people an option to run through a similar course and it be 100% optional unlike in the past. I'm not sure if I would impose an RP limit because it's kind of like "training" them the wrong way, because when they move up to the main shows there are definitely no limits.

Regarding Madison's idea, I'd never put an RP limit on a regular show that has its own roster. That suggests there is strength in numbers which is false. A great RPer can win their match with 2 or 3 RPs against a guy who does 6, 8, 12, etc... I'd even venture to say ONE RP could beat somebody who RPs all through the week if that one RP is incredible, so really there's no reason for a limit. Anybody who "feels" like they want an RP limit is doing that to themselves and building pressure in their own mind because the numbers don't matter. The only time numbers matter is if the quality is considered equal by multiple judges, so then smaller aspects get looked at to break the tie and quantity may be one of those aspects in some cases. In a case where 2 people put out equal quality, then yes the person who physically delivered more sheer effort is deserving of that win, which can't happen if we had RP limits.

I'd let somebody run optional or occasional shows with limits, and I always let people negotiate their own limits IF they want to do that with their opponent. Limits are more of an illusion than anything else though so having a limit is almost like taking a placebo... it makes a difference in some people's minds but in reality it does not.

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Hate Post Like Post
Justin Jones Offline
Hail To The True King

XWF FanBase:
Traditionalists

(has an old school wrestling mentality; no nonsense; less appealing to some younger fans)

01-23-2014, 06:23 PM

sounds pretty fucken sweet

[Image: jjtjbannernew.jpg]

Hate Post Like Post
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:Regarding Madison's idea, I'd never put an RP limit on a regular show that has its own roster. That suggests there is strength in numbers which is false. A great RPer can win their match with 2 or 3 RPs against a guy who does 6, 8, 12, etc... I'd even venture to say ONE RP could beat somebody who RPs all through the week if that one RP is incredible, so really there's no reason for a limit. Anybody who "feels" like they want an RP limit is doing that to themselves and building pressure in their own mind because the numbers don't matter. The only time numbers matter is if the quality is considered equal by multiple judges, so then smaller aspects get looked at to break the tie and quantity may be one of those aspects in some cases. In a case where 2 people put out equal quality, then yes the person who physically delivered more sheer effort is deserving of that win, which can't happen if we had RP limits.

I think the main reason behind the RP limit was to take some of the pressure off of the GM running the show since some GMs don't have time to read 30,000 words every week. I have to say from experience that it does become tiresome after a while.

I think quantity puts more pressure on RPers than you'd think. If you're in a match and you put out 3 five star quality RPs, how confident are you going to be if your opponent put out 6 RPs of the same quality? Now of course if someone drops 10 pieces of shit against someone who does 2 really good ones then it's obvious, but I rarely see that happening.
Hate Post Like Post
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 06:56 PM

The RP limit is designed to focus on quality rather than quantity. I've seen so many dilute their work over the course of the week because they feel the need to just write more. When that happens, quality has a tendency to fly out the door.

HOWEVER, I was never a fan of RP limits. If you remember correctly, that was the first thing we did when I took over Madness. Got rid of the limits. So, I'd be willing to do away with limits if people wanted me to.

I'm open to ideas and things like that, so the more opinions their are, the better off we'll be when and if this thing gets launched.
Hate Post Like Post
Frodo mother fucking Smackins Offline
Big Dick Playa

XWF FanBase:
Drug addicts, rebels, weirdos

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following; may deal drugs on side)

01-23-2014, 07:07 PM

I like this idea, it's like an RP Training camp!

[Image: ZXX7HJw.png?1]

Hate Post Like Post
Hunter Payne Offline
RIP Ray Peterson

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 07:13 PM

I love it. I actually had a similar idea, I just never spoke up.

My idea was more like NXT season 1. You assign somebody with a veteran and the veterans share their wisdom. If RPs improve the 'rookie' should win on the show. At the end the winning rookie and Vet both face the King in a triple threat match as an award.

Kind of EXACTLY like NXT. But still a cool concept to think about.

[Image: 111315-wwe-Eddie-Guerrero-pi-mp.vresize....high.1.jpg]

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Hunter Payne's post:
Minxs (01-23-2014), The Linguist (01-23-2014)
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 07:29 PM

Matches would still be judged based upon quality, not who improved the most. I'm not in favor of giving rewards based on winning as this is designed to help those that feel like they are underachieving get the most out of their writing. Although having a pro could work, but not necessarily. People lead busy lives.
Hate Post Like Post
Mr. Radio Offline
Best in the Multiverse!

XWF FanBase:
Some men, some teens, few women

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following)

01-23-2014, 07:53 PM

It would give me an opportunity to test out my other two characters that I haven't used!

[Image: tumblr_mo8afmAXfD1rregw1o1_500.gif]
Hate Post Like Post
Frodo mother fucking Smackins Offline
Big Dick Playa

XWF FanBase:
Drug addicts, rebels, weirdos

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following; may deal drugs on side)

01-23-2014, 08:07 PM

(01-23-2014, 07:53 PM)Mr. Radio Said: It would give me an opportunity to test out my other two characters that I haven't used!

Am and FM?

[Image: ZXX7HJw.png?1]

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frodo mother fucking Smackins's post:
Morbid Angel (01-23-2014)
Steve "KingSlayer" Davids Offline
Steve Davids

XWF FanBase:
Teens, some men, few kids

(booed by casual fans; hurts people; often angry)

01-23-2014, 08:21 PM

I think this is great. There are a lot of people here with unlocked potential, Duke said: XWF is about the fun.

He was right but improving your writing IS that fun, well it is to me at least

[Image: Gtfmgih.jpg]

3x Xtreme Champion
1x Briefcase Holder
1x Television Champion
1x Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Morbid Angel Offline
Баба Яга

XWF FanBase:
Very random

(heel alignment but liked by many; has earned respect despite breaking the rules often)

01-23-2014, 08:25 PM

do i need to improve?

болезненное ангел!
[Image: 8IZ5unY.png]

Intercontinental Champion
TRIO CHAMPION x2
UNIVERSAL CHAMPION x2
UFO Champion x2
Ark Champion x2
Heavy Metal Champion x2
Xtreme Champion x3
Won at War Games 2014
Hate Post Like Post
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

01-23-2014, 08:43 PM

i might try it but i dont think i need it

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Mr. Radio Offline
Best in the Multiverse!

XWF FanBase:
Some men, some teens, few women

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following)

01-23-2014, 08:45 PM

(01-23-2014, 08:07 PM)Frodo Smackins Said:
(01-23-2014, 07:53 PM)Mr. Radio Said: It would give me an opportunity to test out my other two characters that I haven't used!

Am and FM?

Lol. One of them is Radio Jr. Though.

[Image: tumblr_mo8afmAXfD1rregw1o1_500.gif]
Hate Post Like Post
Sewaside Offline
Banned

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 09:32 PM

Sometimes I think certain rpers signing up for numerous shows is a detriment and their spreading themselves thin with their writing. The only way I'd see it working would be on an assignment basis cause I can't see guys not signing up for the other shows and that would be kind of counter productive. I do think it's a great idea and it's in certain guys best interest to do that entirely, but I just don't see the right people coming to that realization.
Hate Post Like Post
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

01-23-2014, 09:37 PM

Regarding the RP limits, you guys could always just leave it up to the RPers on the show to give a range of RPs they are willing to do right when they post to opt in. Then just try and keep people booked together who wanted the same or similar amount.

Also as far as RP limits helping a judge, that's true. I wasn't going by that at all in my earlier response but yes from a GM standpoint an RP limit is a wonderful idea because reading RPs does take time. Maybe keep the show a "low limit with some exceptions" show or something like a 1 RP per day max.

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Hate Post Like Post
Wallace Witasick Offline
Former XWF Management

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 10:08 PM

(01-23-2014, 09:32 PM)Sewaside Said: Sometimes I think certain rpers signing up for numerous shows is a detriment and their spreading themselves thin with their writing. The only way I'd see it working would be on an assignment basis cause I can't see guys not signing up for the other shows and that would be kind of counter productive. I do think it's a great idea and it's in certain guys best interest to do that entirely, but I just don't see the right people coming to that realization.

From my experience being a GM about 4-5 months ago, not all folks are strictly concerned with their W/L record. Most are, but some are not. Some just like to write and read the results and see their character in them. That's why Shane allows for multiple characters and multiple sign ups a week. Everyone is allowed to contribute and be a part of the XWF as much as they want.

Sometimes people enjoy being able to come up with a creative and fun idea for this character one day, then this one the next. Allowing them to kind of pick and choose whatever they feel like writing and having more fun with on that day. I think that's why XWF attracts a lot of people, because we don't put a lot of restrictions or requirements on people who feel forced to contribute in some way. Theoretically, you can do 16 rps for 5 different characters a week on 3 shows (Luca-style) or throw up 1 piece of shit, figuratively or literally (Cyren-style). Although, the pictures of feces is not really encouraged. As long as you produce something you will continue to get booked and allowed to participate.

I do agree with you though. Putting a lot of centralization on one character for a writer can make you become more focused IMO. I think some folks would be surprised what they are actually capable of.

Also @ Paul: Let me know if you want any help with this show. I would be willing to lend a hand whenever need be on judging, results, or helping others with RP development. Maybe we could re live our old Wally Vs. Pauley days.
Hate Post Like Post
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-23-2014, 10:57 PM

yall should do it ultimate fighter style, team wallace vs team heyman
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes John Msdison 2.Faggot's post:
Great Buzzard Eli James IV (01-24-2014)
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-24-2014, 11:49 AM

I doubt I'd need much help with results, since they will be very basic and plain. Reason being, the shows focus, as stated before, is to help those that want to improve, do so. That said, Wally I've always credited you for helping me become the writer I am today.

Helping me with judging and helping me to help participants of this show is very much wanted. Maybe pitch ideas to some of them concerning segs and character development.

BTW, didn't WW and Paulie bury the hatchet near the end of your run?
Hate Post Like Post
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-24-2014, 11:51 AM

Also, I could get behind a 1 RP per day max limit.
Hate Post Like Post
Great Buzzard Eli James IV Offline
Speaker of Truth

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Just saw this.. really good idea. I wish it was in place when I first joined.

[Image: N1KpZEA.jpg]

1x Universal Champion
1x Undefeated Trio Champion (1/3)
1x Undefeated Tag Team Champion
1x Undefeated European Champion
2x Undefeated UFO/FTW (Ark of the Covenant) Champion
1x United States Champion
2013 July Star of the Month
The One Who Ended & The Administrator
Former Owner of the XWF
Hate Post Like Post
Sebastian Duke Offline
Registered but either hasn't added self to a roster yet or doesn't RP

XWF FanBase:
Very random

(heel alignment but liked by many; has earned respect despite breaking the rules often)

01-24-2014, 01:23 PM

(01-24-2014, 12:58 PM)EliJamesIV Said: Just saw this.. really good idea. I wish it was in place when I first joined.

You went undefeated for a god period of time when you got here... I don't think you needed it...
Hate Post Like Post
Ezekiel Carter-Williams V Offline
Fuck Bitches, Get Money

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty)

01-24-2014, 01:25 PM

I like it. I don't think I'm at that level that I want to be so it'll be great for me

[Image: ecwv.png]

XWF Record
5-4-1

Hate Post Like Post
John Austin Away
Grizzled Young Vet

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

01-24-2014, 01:29 PM

Awesome idea, I am all for this, it would help some finally breakout to their full potential :-)

To find John, turn those lights out because he will then appear...
XWF LEGEND and the only man who punked out Duke TWICE
Hate Post Like Post
Steve "KingSlayer" Davids Offline
Steve Davids

XWF FanBase:
Teens, some men, few kids

(booed by casual fans; hurts people; often angry)

01-24-2014, 01:30 PM

(01-23-2014, 09:32 PM)Sewaside Said: Sometimes I think certain rpers signing up for numerous shows is a detriment and their spreading themselves thin with their writing. The only way I'd see it working would be on an assignment basis cause I can't see guys not signing up for the other shows and that would be kind of counter productive. I do think it's a great idea and it's in certain guys best interest to do that entirely, but I just don't see the right people coming to that realization.

This. I don't think the people who need it will admit they need it. No one wants to show weakness right? Though, there's plenty of us that are always looking for ways to improve, myself included.

[Image: Gtfmgih.jpg]

3x Xtreme Champion
1x Briefcase Holder
1x Television Champion
1x Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve "KingSlayer" Davids's post:
Sewaside (01-25-2014)
The Linguist Offline
Linguini Maximus Isaac

XWF FanBase:
Nobody

(can't get crowd reactions; awkward; probably going to be fired soon) 

01-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Trust me, I would use the shit outta this.

My Record:
4-0-1

W-D-L

Looking to win the Nuclear Winter Series
1x Ark of the Covenant Champion
[Image: W3lLgYF.jpg]

Banner made by Dr. Zero.
Hate Post Like Post
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

01-24-2014, 02:59 PM

i think a 1-2 rp limit would be good for most ppl

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
EnXeKvAaLrLIBER Offline
Destiny's End, Destinies Mend

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-24-2014, 08:24 PM

Massacre

XWF stole that show name from another fed so why not steal it again to use on the new show? The only problem is it was a Monday show so idk.

" Etched in the very blood vessels you survive upon. "
Hate Post Like Post
EnXeKvAaLrLIBER Offline
Destiny's End, Destinies Mend

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-24-2014, 08:26 PM

For the record I like the idea of 1 RP with a word limit in place to guarantee quality measured against quality. No way to abuse the numbers like that. I would participate in these matches if so.

" Etched in the very blood vessels you survive upon. "
Hate Post Like Post
Ezekiel Carter-Williams V Offline
Fuck Bitches, Get Money

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty)

01-25-2014, 05:25 AM

You should also give feedback to the rpers because your not going to know what to improve on if you don't get any insight on your work. So feedback from the judges would be great too

[Image: ecwv.png]

XWF Record
5-4-1

Hate Post Like Post
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

01-25-2014, 03:04 PM

(01-24-2014, 08:26 PM)EnXeKvAaLrLIBER Said: For the record I like the idea of 1 RP with a word limit in place to guarantee quality measured against quality. No way to abuse the numbers like that. I would participate in these matches if so.

I'd never be in favor of a word limit.
Hate Post Like Post