Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-26-2024, 04:49 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Story Time, Feeling Nostalgic
Sebastian Duke Offline
Registered but either hasn't added self to a roster yet or doesn't RP

XWF FanBase:
Very random

(heel alignment but liked by many; has earned respect despite breaking the rules often)

10-15-2013, 05:58 AM

Ann posted a thread about Eddie Guerrero and it kind of sparked a nostalgic feeling within me. Honestly, its not that hard. I am a very nostalgic person. I like being reminded of my youth and anytime someone mentions Eddie Guerrero, Owen Hart, Curt Hennig or Randy Savage, who are some of my all time favorite wrestlers, I tend to travel back in time, at least in my mind. I look back on those days and hold them in pretty high regard.

It's the same with older television shows. I love being reminded of my younger days and I look back on certain things with great fondness. Just like the guys I mentioned, the old tv shows really take me back.

I remember laying on the floor in the living room watching Cheers on the old floor model. It was a hilarious show that ran for more then a decade and its something I cherish. I'm a family oriented guy. Nothing is more important then family, which is something undoubtedly passed down to me by not only my beloved grandmother (God rest her soul) but also from the shows on television at that time. Not so much Cheers, but shows like the Cosby Show and Roseanne, things like that.

I know, I'm rambling.

Anyhow, shows like that I could certainly identify with. Being a family that survived week to week, like most, obviously I could identify more with Roseanne, then Cosby, but still, both very good shows in their own right.

It's something that's missing from television these days. Life lessons. When I was young, tv sitcoms were naturally funny, but also provided life lessons that helped guide you.

No show was more helpful in my youth in the life lesson department, than Boy Meets World. Many of you may be a little young to appreciate the value of such a show, but trust me, it provided some good laughs but they also tackled some real serious issues that faced people my age. That show, at least in my opinion, I do credit as helping me to become the person I am. I'm not perfect in any way, but I do have a big heart and I do know the difference in right and wrong.

That show taught me that no matter your background, you can succeed. If you work hard enough and put forth a little effort you can overcome the obstacles that life presents you. It also taught me that no matter how much money you have, or that you don't have, nothing is more important than having that one best-friend that stands beside you in good and bad times. The rich can befriend the poor and vice versa.

The show was centered on a character named Cory and his friend was named Shawn. Cory was from a family that lived comfortably, financially speaking. Shawn was a stark contrast. He came from a poor family that moved around a lot. I can certainly identify with that.

Oddly enough, for those of you that read this and don't already know, my name is Sean. I lived my youth in much the same way Shawn from Boy Meets World lived his. A constant struggle, even if not on the outside, definitely on the inside. Shawn's mother abandoned him. My mother chose liquor bottles. Shawn's father tried hard to provide for his family. My father worked himself so hard he's no longer medically allowed to work. Shawn's father died of a heart attack. My father has survived several. Shawn would always rather be some place else, even if he didn't know where some place else was. I was much the same way. Never happy. Never content.

I'm rambling some more. Oh well, if you've read this far, you may as well keep reading, right?

Shawn never found love. Of course its been 13 years since that show has left the air so I'd like to think, if he'd been a real person, he would have by now. I did find love, but I also lost it. Shawn had an affliction that sometimes caused him to feel insecure around people that had more than he had, financially. I've been that way my entire life. He felt those with more looked down on him, which in some cases was true, but largely was not the case.

Shawn had one best-friend. Cory. They were inseparable. They did everything together. Got in trouble together. Got out of it together. They loved each other more than brothers. More than family. There really isn't a word to describe it, I don't think.

That's not to say they never had problems with each other, because they did. But, eventually they always overcame those issues.

Yeah, if I'm Shawn Hunter, my friend Kevin, is most definitely Cory Matthews. I met him when I was 14 and I can honestly say, aside from my grandmother, I've never met another person like him. He's been there for me through everything I've ever run into. He's supported me even when disagreeing with a decision I've made. He also keeps pushing me to 'take back what's mine' which is my ex-wife, but that's another story for another time.

There are a million things about me that you'll never know. That man, Kevin H. that I speak so fondly of, has saved my life in a number of ways on a number of occasions. And he knows every detail of my life, both good and bad.

I can honestly say, and without exaggeration, even though it may sound like it, that I would not be here today if it wasn't for he and his family. Outside of family, he is the single most important person in my life, and to be honest, a lot of my family I could live without. Kevin? I could never live without him.

There was a point where we didn't speak for 4 years. That situation seems so stupid and childish and neither of us can believe we let that separate us.

I won't tell you what broke us apart, but I will tell you what brought us together.

In September of 2009, his father passed away. It was a man that I called 'Dad' out of a genuine love and respect for him. I found out about it 6 weeks too late. When I found out, I cried for hours. I hadn't seen Lemont in a couple of years, but it totally broke me to find out he'd passed. Remember how I said Kevin had saved my life? Well, his mother and father are just as responsible for that. They took me in for weeks and even months at a time as a teenager and I'm forever indebted to them, though neither complained. As I said, I called Kevs father 'Dad.' It was very much like losing my own father. At least I imagine so.

Anyhow, I contacted a mutual friend of ours and here were my exact words: "Greg, I don't give a fuck if he gets pissed at you. I need Kevins cell number right now."

I started there. Two best-friends that allowed something so stupid to come between them. Coming together over a tragic event. It took a few weeks, but we gradually worked ourselves back to the way we were in years prior.

He and I are a real life version of Cory and Shawn.

My hope is that all of you have your own Cory or your own Shawn. Kevin is who I was with the first time I got drunk. The one I was with when I got high for the first time. He was there when I gave my (no longer alcoholic) mother away to my stepfather, Ted at their wedding. He was there for me when Ted lost his battle with cancer. He was responsible for leading me to my first real girlfriend, who later became my wife. Incidentally, she was his girlfriend first, and the one that gave me his blessing.

In case you're thinking it, that's not what split us up.

He was there for me when I told him that Ashlee and I were calling it quits. He was there for me when my grandmother passed away early this year. That man has stuck by my side through thick and thin (minus that 4 year thing) since I was 14 years old. It's almost 17 years now and I couldn't imagine my life without him in it again.

If you don't have a Kevin, find one. Kevins are pretty fucking important. They're also pretty fucking awesome. I could write a book about our friendship. Probably a damn interesting one filled with only truth and no fluff. It'd probably sell millions and I could be rich.

Some things though, are better left between friends.

One day, when we're in our 70's, we'll sit in a couple of rocking chairs, on probably someone elses porch while they're at work, we'll drink some beers, we'll roll a joint, and we'll look back on our journey. We'll smile, laugh, undoubtedly cry a little.

Kev, this is to you, my friend. I love you and I look forward to that day.

I write too much.
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 7 users Like Sebastian Duke's post:
AlexandraCallaway (10-15-2013), Andrew Morrison (10-15-2013), Cam Lang (10-15-2013), Christine Nash (10-15-2013), Jessie-ica Diaz (10-15-2013), Liz Hathaway (10-15-2013), Peter Fn Gilmour (10-15-2013)
Rebel Offline
Jackass of all Trades

XWF FanBase:
Heel w/ Cult Following

(the heel you love to love; does whatever they want)

10-15-2013, 06:50 AM

If Owen was still alive, it makes you wonder if he would have ever won a world title. I think he would have been a great champion, but would Vince let him considering what happen with Bret.

It's just something I always pondered.

[Image: Chaosrebel_zps20294548.jpg]
1x X-Treme Champion (13 days)
Hate Post Like Post
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

10-15-2013, 09:11 AM

god i wish owen and eddie were alive right now.. wwe would be MUCH better than they are now!

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
AlexandraCallaway Offline
Demon or Angel? You decide!

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

(cheered heavily at home; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

10-15-2013, 09:51 AM

I think you all missed the concept of what he is saying. He used it as a jumping off point to talk about his best friend. While I love wrestling, this wasn't about that. It was about his friendship and him hoping that we all have people like that. Someone we can be close too.

1x UFO E1999 Champion
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 4 users Like AlexandraCallaway's post:
(10-15-2013), Andrew Morrison (10-15-2013), Liz Hathaway (10-15-2013), Steve "KingSlayer" Davids (10-15-2013)
Jessie-ica Diaz Offline
Only to find it again.

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

10-15-2013, 12:19 PM

TL;DR

I kid, I kid.
Hate Post Like Post
Mr. Radio Offline
Best in the Multiverse!

XWF FanBase:
Some men, some teens, few women

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following)

10-15-2013, 12:25 PM

What if Benoit he who shall not be named, never died?

[Image: tumblr_mo8afmAXfD1rregw1o1_500.gif]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mr. Radio's post:
Cam Lang (10-15-2013)
Kimmy-K Offline
You are beautiful! I'll always love you!

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

10-15-2013, 12:25 PM

My brain sucks ass right now. I'm in class, so I kinda had to skim it. But the best thing I can think to say is "that was interesting"... And I'm not being sarcastic. But, yeah... Nostalgia. Gotta love it.

[Image: DDWnd.jpg]
Who says, who says you're not perfect?
Who says you're not worth it?
Who says you're the only one that's hurtin'?
Trust me, that's the price of beauty
Who says you're not pretty?
Who says you're not beautiful?
Who says?
Hate Post Like Post
John Austin Away
Grizzled Young Vet

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

10-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Very good piece their Duke....I fall in the same boat with you, my real life best friend is kinda like yours. Funny enough I first met her doing this and we have been close ever sense. Then after a year of online talking, I finally went and seen her for the first time and funny enough it was during her high school graduation

She was there for me when my mom passed away and helped me through that rough time.

She was the one who stopped me from drinking and doing drugs so heavily. I had a horrible addiction and she gave me the ultimatum of either continue down that path or lose her as a friend. I stopped from then on.

I am thankful for her existence and if it wasn't for her, I honestly don't know where I would be right now. 8+ years of friendship

To find John, turn those lights out because he will then appear...
XWF LEGEND and the only man who punked out Duke TWICE
Hate Post Like Post
Rebel Offline
Jackass of all Trades

XWF FanBase:
Heel w/ Cult Following

(the heel you love to love; does whatever they want)

10-15-2013, 12:48 PM

No, I understood what he was talking about. I just don't have anything to relate to that.
I didn't have a best friend in high school because i moved around a lot. I was just reminiscing about something different.

[Image: Chaosrebel_zps20294548.jpg]
1x X-Treme Champion (13 days)
Hate Post Like Post
AlexandraCallaway Offline
Demon or Angel? You decide!

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

10-15-2013, 01:13 PM

(10-15-2013, 12:48 PM)Rebel Said: No, I understood what he was talking about. I just don't have anything to relate to that.
I didn't have a best friend in high school because i moved around a lot. I was just reminiscing about something different.

Don't you have a best friend now? If so the same thing would apply. I didn't really have a lot of friends either. I was the loner theatre kid. I didn't have best friends, my best friend died at 16. There really hasn't been anyone I've been close to since her, until I came here. And hell the person I share that kind of a closeness with, we've never physically met, and barely know what each other looks like. But yeah.. I tell him everything. So I guess you could say I understand where he's coming from.

1x UFO E1999 Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Sebastian Duke Offline

XWF FanBase:
Very random

(heel alignment but liked by many; has earned respect despite breaking the rules often)

10-15-2013, 01:21 PM

(10-15-2013, 12:25 PM)Mr. Radio Said: What if Benoit he who shall not be named, never died?

He still would have died. Just in prison. And probably by beating. Like the child killer he is.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sebastian Duke's post:
AlexandraCallaway (10-15-2013)
Jessie-ica Diaz Offline
Only to find it again.

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

10-15-2013, 01:23 PM

(10-15-2013, 01:21 PM)Sebastian Duke Said:
(10-15-2013, 12:25 PM)Mr. Radio Said: What if Benoit he who shall not be named, never died?

He still would have died. Just in prison. And probably by beating. Like the child killer he is.

Would that be before or after he gets the soap knocked out of his hand drops the soap?
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jessie-ica Diaz's post:
Andrew Morrison (10-15-2013)
Sebastian Duke Offline

XWF FanBase:
Very random

10-15-2013, 02:06 PM

At any rate, this is just a small sample of the kind of friend he is. The original post doesn't even come close to doing him any justice whatsoever.

As I said, some things are better left between friends.

I'm not a religious person and doubt the existance of any God. However, he is a blessing and I thank any higher power that may or may not exist for his existance in my life.
Hate Post Like Post
Cam Lang Offline

XWF FanBase:
Tweener/Neutral

(crowd reaction varies; dips between face & heel)

10-15-2013, 02:08 PM

I love BMW, I find it extremely ironic how you're real life story with Kevin fits the relationship of Cory and Shawn.

Hope the two of you are doing well!

[Image: CL.jpg]

Creds to BBD!
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Cam Lang's post:
(10-15-2013), Andrew Morrison (10-15-2013)
Steve "KingSlayer" Davids Offline
Steve Davids

XWF FanBase:
Teens, some men, few kids

(booed by casual fans; hurts people; often angry)

10-15-2013, 02:13 PM

It is key to note that not everyone has this and that is why Duke is so grateful. Does make us realise how lucky we are

[Image: Gtfmgih.jpg]

3x Xtreme Champion
1x Briefcase Holder
1x Television Champion
1x Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Sebastian Duke Offline

XWF FanBase:
Very random

10-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Cam, that's why that show is held so high in my mind. Not just for the life lessons, but for the fact that the Cory and Shawn friendship is so much like the Kevin and Sean friendship.

Steveibald,not everyone does have this. Its a shame though. Everybody needs a guy like him in their lives.
Hate Post Like Post
Theo Pryce Offline
King of Kings
Management Lv. E-Rex

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

10-16-2013, 06:16 AM

Great stuff man. Loved Boy Meets World. I actually just rewatched the entire show earlier this year and I'm not ashamed to say that the final scene of the show brought a tear to my eye.

I am very fortunate that I have a Shawn, and his name is Jim. We've been friends since we were 8 years old. While we don't see each other as much as we used to when we were kids. He lived around the corner then. Now I live 2.5 hours away, he was there as my Best Man and was the first person I told when my wife got pregnant. He is like a brother, his family is extensions of my own family. Hell, his Grandmother even calls me her other grandson, which always bring a smile to my face. I think your piece said a lot about you and about your friend. Keep writing from the heart.

[Image: XCwEiv2.png]
Hate Post Like Post
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

10-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Loved Boy Meets World. Always had (and still have) a crush on Topanga..

cant wait for GIRL MEETS WORLD.. whenever that happens

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Sebastian Duke Offline

XWF FanBase:
Very random

10-16-2013, 09:42 AM

I was on Amazon about two months ago and I was looking at some of their box sets they have of different TV series'. Found Boy Meets World for like 50 bucks. Bought it and don't regret it. I watch it when I lay down to go to sleep and each episode I watch reminds me of how much that show meant to me in my teen years.

There really isn't a show like that for todays teens, which is a shame. They'd learn so much if there was.
Hate Post Like Post