Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-30-2024, 11:51 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Rp questions
Ash Quinn

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

09-17-2020, 09:05 AM

I have trouble making my writing longer. I hit about the one thousand or 1500 mark and hit a wall. There are some of ya that write these perfect promos, great reads, and all and they seem longer. I think my writing is good it just falls short lengthwise

2nd question: How does one add youtube videos or gifs into the promo body? I try and it never loads

TIA for any advice
Edit
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

09-17-2020, 09:55 AM

As far as length, don't force it. That's only going to water it down. Maybe try something where you look at two of your already existing RPs and think about how you could have possibly intertwined them into one longer RP that has more depth, twists, and turns within it. Try piecing together already existing, or largely completed works (as practice). The act of figuring out how to write the "paste" that connects them together will also help you in other areas in the future too. Before you know it, the point where you used to feel finished with your RP will only be the conclusion of chapter 1, or scene 1, or whatever.

For videos, here's one method:
Easy way to add a Youtube video. Just take the ending code of the video link, which is the part that comes AFTER the = sign.

For example, if this is your link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJAyhKc4-Y0
you're going to want to only take the part I put in red^
and then put that code between the youtube tags like this:
[noparse][/noparse]

The "live" result will appear like this:

and hopefully won't have a copyright strike against it by shitty WWE like this video does, LOL

Now, as for GIFs specifically, just find a GIF online and then put its URL in this code in place of the fake URL I made up here:
[noparse][img]http//fakeURLgif[/img][/noparse]

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 4 users Like "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane's post:
(09-17-2020), Johnny Legend (09-17-2020), Peter Fn Gilmour (09-17-2020), Theo Pryce (09-17-2020)
Ash Quinn

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

09-17-2020, 10:40 AM

Thanks!! I will take your advice and try it next promo
Jenny Myst Offline
The Queen of X-Treme

XWF FanBase:
Very random

(heel alignment but liked by many; has earned respect despite breaking the rules often)

09-17-2020, 01:03 PM

Babe,

Despite us being opponents this week, I'll help ya out. I think you got a lot of potential!

What I do.......I always write my trash talk first. So, if its a cold open, I write that out and I build my story around it. If its a response RP, I write out everything I want to say first also, then build story around it.

I would say Greggo's advice is best. Don't force it. The judging here here is quality over quantity. I've seen a 1500-3000 word scorcher win over a 10k word bomb simply because of the content. Its not about how much you say, its about what you say and how you say it.

Hope this helps a little!

[Image: GxjjAcs.gif] 
 3x
[Image: 53vkwmL.png]
FORMER, 1x AND LONGEST REIGNING (101 Days)
[Image: eRm3OdS.png]
FOREVER AND ALWAYS
[Image: lJ5ayVc.png]
2x
[Image: Jdsm6ZU.png]
2x XWF Bombshell Champion
3x XWF X-Treme Champion
3x XWF Television Champion
X- Title Briefcase Holder
War Games Captain 
Sex, Metal, Barbie, CHAOS
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jenny Myst's post:
Charlie Nickles (09-17-2020)
Theo Pryce Offline
King of Kings
Management Lv. E-Rex

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

09-17-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:As far as length, don't force it. That's only going to water it down. Maybe try something where you look at two of your already existing RPs and think about how you could have possibly intertwined them into one longer RP that has more depth, twists, and turns within it. Try piecing together already existing, or largely completed works (as practice). The act of figuring out how to write the "paste" that connects them together will also help you in other areas in the future too. Before you know it, the point where you used to feel finished with your RP will only be the conclusion of chapter 1, or scene 1, or whatever.

Great advice. Longer isn't always better. At least that's what I tell my wife. Anyway...your goal should be to write something you are proud of. Some of the best rper's I've ever seen wrote rps that were 900-1200 words. Sure some wrote longer rps but they were able to do that without it becoming a chore to read. Believe me there are plenty of rps that people do post that I read and felt like they actually hurt themselves by not cutting it off way sooner. In this day and age people really aren't looking to see rp's beyond 2-3k words.

Write what makes you happy the rest will come. I imagine if you stick around for a while your rps will naturally get longer.

[Image: XCwEiv2.png]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Theo Pryce's post:
Thunder Knuckles™ (09-17-2020)
Ash Quinn

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

09-18-2020, 05:14 AM

I am gushing over all this good advice. I will take it all into advisement as I move forward. It makes me feel good now that I feell I'm on the right track more than I thought.