Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 03-28-2024, 11:55 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF Classic! » The Old Folks' Home
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dos and Don'ts of Prewriting
Prof. Bobby Bourbon Offline
Mad Scientist

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

10-21-2019, 08:27 AM

So, I wanted to cover a topic I think I wanted clarity on.

Prewriting.

Now I have read up on the current XWF Rules, and I see that it is no longer considered a taboo.

So let's go over what works and doesn't when it comes to it.

What does work:

More seamless storytelling. Regardless of if your character (or really, writing style) is sitcom episodic, more long term story development, or somewhere in between, putting down ideas early and when you get them is a good idea, regardless of how good the idea. That doofy notion you get after a few beers, or the feelings you have after stressful shit happens, or even what you think is absolutely hilarious for no real reason does no harm in being documented and stored, to be looked back on later. If it all starts to flow out of you, then keep it. If it's good, we will want to read more.

What doesn't work:

Going too far off topic. Sometimes the story you are telling really won't be an RP whatsoever, more just a character study with something completely irrelevant. I have definitely done this in the past, having told stories I felt contented with, and I feel others may of enjoyed, but they weren't really relevant to the match I was having at the time. These peices were generally cooked up possibly months prior to a match, and I just shoehorned them in, satisfied with the quality of writing but not the strength of RP. If that confuses you, just remember this line of logic; all strong RPs feature strong writing, not all strong writing is a strong RP.

What does work:

Basic insults and one liners. I always find myself trying to add one or two quotables to an RP, something that will stick out as particularly memorable besides the plot or story. Kind of like how in movies, people will remember particular lines. I think most everyone has heard "we'll make them an offer they can't refuse", "go ahead, punk, make my day", or "I'll be back", moreso than people have actually seen the Godfather, Dirty Harry, or the Terminator (I have only seen the last film named). Something you think sounds cool, or witty, or will stand out probably is and will. Trust your gut.

What doesn't work:

Smacktalk. Flat out, prewritten smacktalk is the worst drivel in existence and a pox upon written language, regardless of in an eFed or elsewhere. It will come off as insincere. Good smacktalk/character dissection/insults come from the heart. All of the catch-all ones are pretty lame, in earnest, because everyone has already heard them. Making a bunch of words and plugging and chugging your opponent's name where necessary is really going to be a turd sandwich in the end. Put in some effort at the time of your match, it's generally more respectful to your opponent and keeps the game more alive. Plus you'll probably have used the same garbage multiple times in a row if you prewrite smacktalk, which can lead to shitting the bed week after week with material that just doesn't work. This idea kind of branches off of going off topic, as you will lose some relevance. Also, pretty strange if you write up a huge peice of smacktalk against someone and wind up never facing them.

[Image: DtUCPfZ.png]
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 3 users Like Prof. Bobby Bourbon's post:
"The Wolf of Afghanistan" Joshua Schuler (10-22-2019), Corey Smith (10-21-2019), Ned Kaye (10-21-2019)
[-] Oh shit! Hater alert! The following 1 user Hates Prof. Bobby Bourbon's post!
drezdin5788 (10-21-2019)
Theo Pryce Offline
King of Kings
Management Lv. E-Rex

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

10-21-2019, 09:09 AM

[Image: BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY?format=jpg&name=small]

[Image: XCwEiv2.png]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 4 users Like Theo Pryce's post:
Atticus Gold (10-21-2019), James Raven (10-21-2019), Prof. Bobby Bourbon (10-21-2019), The Brothers Blackwater (10-21-2019)
The Brothers Blackwater Offline
Vindicators

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

10-21-2019, 01:12 PM

I have never pre-written anything. Trash talk or story wise. I may have the story in my head that I want to write but I have never written anything, till after I see the match on the card.

[Image: vp1uvfb.jpg]

[Image: iNVRm0X.jpg]

Donovan Blackwater
Former 1x...

[Image: jtHw5j1.png]

[Image: OZdvB4F.png]

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Brothers Blackwater's post:
Prof. Bobby Bourbon (10-21-2019)
Corey Smith Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

10-21-2019, 06:10 PM

I have pre-written story type stuff often. Trash talk is never pre-written. Like ever. I don't even understand how people would do that.

The real kicker is somehow tying the story type stuff back into the match. I've not always been able to do it, but I find when I do I'm just more satisified with what I've done as a whole.

[Image: CoreySig6A.png?width=270&height=406]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Corey Smith's post:
Prof. Bobby Bourbon (10-22-2019)
Prof. Bobby Bourbon Offline
Mad Scientist

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

10-22-2019, 08:56 PM

Stating it was my opinion would have been redundant, Theo, but good meme is good. Fact: I blow chunks at fantasy football.

And I am not advocating for or against the practice of prewriting, generally I do not, so if you do, or don't, so long as you can appreciate your own material that's what matters.

[Image: DtUCPfZ.png]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Prof. Bobby Bourbon's post:
BrianLance (10-23-2019)
drezdin5788 Offline
T.D.O>

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

10-22-2019, 09:45 PM

(10-21-2019, 06:10 PM)Lux Said: I have pre-written story type stuff often. Trash talk is never pre-written. Like ever. I don't even understand how people would do that.

The real kicker is somehow tying the story type stuff back into the match. I've not always been able to do it, but I find when I do I'm just more satisified with what I've done as a whole.

I dont see how trash talk is bad.

[Image: FSYLxSs.png]
NOW BE MY BITCH ASS HOLE!!!!!!!!!!
Hate Post Like Post
Corey Smith Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

10-23-2019, 03:11 AM

(10-22-2019, 09:45 PM)drezdin5788 Said:
(10-21-2019, 06:10 PM)Lux Said: I have pre-written story type stuff often. Trash talk is never pre-written. Like ever. I don't even understand how people would do that.

I dont see how trash talk is bad.

Not what I said, Drez.

[Image: CoreySig6A.png?width=270&height=406]
Hate Post Like Post
Rebel Star Offline
The Violent Vixen

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

10-23-2019, 11:13 AM

[Image: xlLDQTz.jpg]

[Image: 1TJ3kUo.pngg]

Former...
King of the XWF
Hate Post Like Post
Charlie Nickles Offline
The Nickleman

XWF FanBase:
Drug addicts, rebels, weirdos

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following; may deal drugs on side)

02-10-2021, 03:32 PM

Prewriting works sometimes, doesn't work sometimes. Good points all around.

[Image: 27J5l3J.png]
Hate Post Like Post