Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-01-2024, 07:42 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie Chat
Corey Smith Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

04-05-2019, 06:39 AM

Ya'all want a movie chat thread?

I figure it could be cool, seeing as how the preponderance of us are probably big dorks. I know I am. So this is a catch all thread to discuss any kind of movies. It doesn't just have to be sci-fi or fantasy. Wanna talk about that cool indie flick you saw about gay cowboys eating pudding? Sure, bring it here. Wanna post a sweet new trailer or movie review? DO IT!

I'd like to start with this.

Great trailer. As someone who thought 10 years ago that Joaquin Phoenix would nail it as the Joker, I'm glad he's finally getting the chance. I'm also of the opinion that Heath Ledger's Joker is basically definitive, and it's my personal favorite take on the character across all forms of media (comics, cartoons, films). So it will be interesting to see how this take on it intersects with his. It's tempting to call this an origin story, but I'm not sure that's what it is per se and I'm seeing the term "character study" banded about a lot which seems like a good way to describe it. Plus, it doesn't seem like there will be any kind of "superheroics" in this at all (especially being that the boy he's giving the smile to in the trailer is most likely Bruce). If this film is nothing but a weird sad sack's descent into the worst kind of madness I'm all on board for that.

I really want this film to be good and do well at the BO, because with the glut of Marvel movies, superhero fare is starting to feel pretty damn gilded any samey. I'd love it if lower budget, riskier takes on the genre start popping up more.

[Image: CoreySig6A.png?width=270&height=406]
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Corey Smith's post:
Darius Xavier (04-05-2019)
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

04-05-2019, 06:44 AM

I think I'm in a minority because I enjoy different takes on comic characters. I thought Leto did a great job. I think everyone who has ever played the role has done well, actually. You could probably draw a parallel as to WHY the same subculture that shits itself over things like Thor becoming female, Spider-Man being a Hispanic kid, or any female character not just being a big-titted wank-target also hated the Leto "thugged out, urban" take on Mr. J (even though the character was barely on screen), but I think that part's pretty obvious. Worth noting how much they LOVED Harley from the same movie, though.

I think Phoenix is one of the best actors on the planet, and I have no doubt he will produce a memorable take.

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane's post:
Darius Xavier (04-05-2019)
Corey Smith Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

04-05-2019, 07:53 AM

(04-05-2019, 06:44 AM)"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Said: I think I'm in a minority because I enjoy different takes on comic characters. I thought Leto did a great job. I think everyone who has ever played the role has done well, actually. You could probably draw a parallel as to WHY the same subculture that shits itself over things like Thor becoming female, Spider-Man being a Hispanic kid, or any female character not just being a big-titted wank-target also hated the Leto "thugged out, urban" take on Mr. J (even though the character was barely on screen), but I think that part's pretty obvious. Worth noting how much they LOVED Harley from the same movie, though.

I think Phoenix is one of the best actors on the planet, and I have no doubt he will produce a memorable take.

Miles Morales>Peter Parker, fite me people

Nerd culture fucking sucks, by and large. Although I'm one of the people who wasn't a fan of Leto Joker. I didn't see him so much as "urban" as he was this pastiche of what some clueless crank snorting exec thought would be cool and hip. It just seemed like it was trying too fucking hard, and I thought the criticisms that he was some crass Hot Topic pandering wankery were pretty on point. Although if they wanted to do an African American Joker I think that would be the tits, although it runs the risk of doing "black Joker for the sake of doing black Joker". Seeing as how they're doing elseworld riffs though maybe doing some sort of Batman flick from the other side, with a Batman that is black and not rich fighting crime in the poor, forgotten parts of Gotham could have some creative merit. Batman's always been a little problematic because he's the ultimate product of privlege (a rich white man), so I think turning that on it's head might have promise.

So back to this movie, anybody else picturing a Dark Knight Returns esque scene where Joker goes on DeNiro's talk show and murks the whole audience? Could be the ending.

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Corey Smith's post:
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane (04-05-2019)
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

04-05-2019, 08:52 AM

Yeah I could see it. I'd like to see more than just a one-off movie, to be honest. I think of all villains, the Joker is the one that has a deep enough mythos and mass appeal to be a lead.

I think something that could be fun would be a genuine movie telling of the Killing Joke/Death in the Family arc of stories. Get Snyder and Alan Moore involved directly if possible, even though Moore is loathe to see his stuff in movies and thinks the Killing Joke was shit.

I think they are some of the best Batman stories out there and a guy like Phoenix could do them very well.

Hate Post Like Post
B.O.B. D Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Mixed

(loved by some; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

04-05-2019, 11:21 AM

I wasn't excited for the movie until I saw the trailer. He should knock Leto out of the park, was NOT a fan of him at all(as Joker, or in general).

And I am not gonna "argue", but rather state that I like Peter Parker and the classic villains better. I also have a story for this:
My younger brother was selling magazines for school and I was like "yeah, I'll look at what they have" and saw they had a comic book of Ultimate Spiderman!!!! I was excited to order it and I went through some issues and got a story arc called "Death of Peter Parker"(or Spiderman, one of 'em); but figured it was just a story title. So I read the last part and sure enough, Peter gets killed and yadda yadda, and I'm like, "damn, can't wait to see how he's brought back" and BOOM! Next issue is titled #1 and following some kid I never heard of. The rest is history, but I will forever be disappointed that I didn't get what I ordered, which was Spiderman, not this new kid becoming his own version of Spiderman. I was PISSED and felt like I wasted my money.

In hindsight, though, I wonder if those issues of Peter dying are worth anything? Probably not, but maybe someday, if it ended up birthing Miles Morales, who I know alot of people DO like.

June 2019 XWF Superstar of the Month
2019 Relentless Fishing Contest Winner
1x XWF World Heavyweight Champion
1x bWo World Heavyweight Champion [despite what Miss Furry or James J. Dildo says]
1x NWF World Heavyweight Champion
2x XWF Xtreme Champion [current]
2x XWF TV Champion
1x XWF Internet Champion
1x NWF World Tag Team Champion (w/Slim)
1x NWF Xtreme Champion
1x NLCW Slamfest Champion
1x LCW Hardcore Champion
3x WWF X-Division Champion
1x WWF World Tag Team Champion (w/Seth Flash)
1x WWF Dark Champion
1x WWF TV Champion
1x EGW Fury Champion
3x XWF Federweight Champion
4x XWF Heavymetalweight Champion
1x 420* Cruiserweight Champion
2x CMW Hardcore Champion
1x XHW T.V. Champion
1x WXC Hardcore Champion
1x XPW U.S. Champion
1x WLFC Tag Team Champion w/Chance
1x WWC T.V. Champion
1x WWC European Champion
1x WWF 24/7Hardcore Champion
2x WLFC 24/7 Hardcore Champion

pin
Hate Post Like Post
HeatherHalliwell_Lasiewicz Offline
Registered but either hasn't added self to a roster yet or doesn't RP

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

04-05-2019, 12:50 PM

The Joker: I wasn't sold on this until seeing the trailer. I still have my reservations, because the allure of the Joker is how he changes up his background from person to person. But seeing as we've had on-screen adaptations of the character dating back to the 60's, I was feeling burned out. I wasn't hot on Harley, either. If they want Harley, they should ship her with Ivy, that's what I'd like to see. I trust Joaquim Phoenix, just from the trailer. I love how you can see the evolution of a man literally beaten down to society, who walks without confidence or hope slowly evolve into the Clown Prince of Crime, and that strut he has at the end, he just fucking owns it.

Miles Morales is definitely up there with my favorite Spidey's. Into the Spider-Verse was visually perfect, even if the plot got a little bland after a while. It picked up by the end, I just wasn't a fan of how they had to go back to the beginning for every version of Spidey. We know how the story goes, it doesn't really change between each incarnation. Once was enough.

I'm fixing to go see Shazam! soon, my friend Rob saw it last night and loved it.

Endgame... I don't wanna go there yet. I'm still not ready for this.

[Image: pvxegu8.png]
Hate Post Like Post
Darius Xavier Offline

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

04-05-2019, 01:40 PM

The wonderful thing about Joker is that he really doesn't have a definitive backstory anymore, especially with DC's whole "there are three Jokers" thing going on. I think everyone who has portrayed the Clown Prince of Gotham has done a good job. Even Leto who I think deserved more of a role than he was given. It wasn't my favorite take on the character, that's Ledger by a mile but I thought he did a good job for what he was supposed to be. Phoenix is one of those guys who can crush pretty much any role he is given but really has the face and mannerisms to play a character like the Joker. I am excited to see his and Todd Phillips take on the character as I think it will be a very good one.

I would love to see a live action adaptation of The Killing Joke for many reasons, chief among them is that I'm a big Jason Todd fan. I would truly love nothing more than to see a Red Hood movie at some point in the near future but I think that would have to happen as a result of TKJ first. Doesn't have to, but should.

I will definitely be seeing Shazam as I am a DC guy and love the character.

I have no real horse in the race when it comes to Spiderman, he was never a character I was attached to.
Hate Post Like Post
Apocalypse Offline

XWF FanBase:
Drug addicts, rebels, weirdos

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following; may deal drugs on side)

04-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Interested in seeing how Joaquin does as the Joker I enjoyed him as Johnny Cash so will be interested in the complete character difference.

I'm scared to watch Endgame when the time comes who knows how things will turn out.

And I'm not afraid to admit I'm looking forward to Toy Story 4 lol.
Hate Post Like Post
Corey Smith Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

04-09-2019, 05:32 PM

(04-08-2019, 11:10 AM)Apocalypse Said: Interested in seeing how Joaquin does as the Joker I enjoyed him as Johnny Cash so will be interested in the complete character difference.

I'm scared to watch Endgame when the time comes who knows how things will turn out.

You're not a real man unless you wept openly during Toy Story 3.

Hate Post Like Post
B.O.B. D Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Mixed

(loved by some; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

04-09-2019, 06:08 PM

(04-09-2019, 05:32 PM)Lux Said:
(04-08-2019, 11:10 AM)Apocalypse Said: Interested in seeing how Joaquin does as the Joker I enjoyed him as Johnny Cash so will be interested in the complete character difference.

You're not a real man unless you wept openly during Toy Story 3.

My youngest brother got Toy Story 3 for Christmas one year, I hadn't seen it, so we put it in. Me, him, and my dad watched it and I started bawling and they both made fun of me. No regrets, though.

June 2019 XWF Superstar of the Month
2019 Relentless Fishing Contest Winner
1x XWF World Heavyweight Champion
1x bWo World Heavyweight Champion [despite what Miss Furry or James J. Dildo says]
1x NWF World Heavyweight Champion
2x XWF Xtreme Champion [current]
2x XWF TV Champion
1x XWF Internet Champion
1x NWF World Tag Team Champion (w/Slim)
1x NWF Xtreme Champion
1x NLCW Slamfest Champion
1x LCW Hardcore Champion
3x WWF X-Division Champion
1x WWF World Tag Team Champion (w/Seth Flash)
1x WWF Dark Champion
1x WWF TV Champion
1x EGW Fury Champion
3x XWF Federweight Champion
4x XWF Heavymetalweight Champion
1x 420* Cruiserweight Champion
2x CMW Hardcore Champion
1x XHW T.V. Champion
1x WXC Hardcore Champion
1x XPW U.S. Champion
1x WLFC Tag Team Champion w/Chance
1x WWC T.V. Champion
1x WWC European Champion
1x WWF 24/7Hardcore Champion
2x WLFC 24/7 Hardcore Champion

pin
Hate Post Like Post
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

04-09-2019, 06:10 PM

(04-08-2019, 11:10 AM)Apocalypse Said: I'm scared to watch Endgame when the time comes who knows how things will turn out.

Gonna go out on a limb and assume the good guys win.

Hate Post Like Post
Corey Smith Offline
Active in XWF

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

04-09-2019, 06:58 PM

MOAR MOVIE CHAT!

So, these are probably my 10 favorite movies of all time. Now, I'm not saying by any technical standard that they are the best, but they are the films I can go back to over and over and fall in love with again. I'm not putting them in order, but when asked which movies would top my list these would be on there in some form or fashion. Please list some of your favorites, I'd like this to be a recommendation thread of sorts too.

1)The Dark Knight (2008):

The quintessential comic book movie, and the only superhero fare that would appear in my top 10 (although certain others might come close, like Spider-man 2, Spiderverse, and Logan). My selection is largely on the basis of Heath's mind blowing performance as The Joker, but the rest of the movie from the portions with Harvey Dent to Rachel's heart breaking death all just come together to make this, in my estimation, the super hero flick that will never ever be touched by anything Marvel produces (or DC for that matter, although see above for The Joker trailer).

2) Inglorious Basterds (2009):

Tarantino's opus, if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and watch this WW II era paean to wartime vengeance. No spoilers, but to say that it takes some creative liberties with history is an understatement, but don't let that deter you. From an amazingly tense and memorable opening scene showcasing Tarantino's flare for effective dialogue, to my personal second favorite film villian of all time....

[Image: fypAmty.gif]

....the movie is all around superb. Extra props for the dark humor ("say aufedersehen to your Nazi balls").

3). Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

Hands down the quintessential action movie, this sequel took a long time to come out of developmental hell, but what it did holy Jesus did it not dissappoint. A gorgeous feast for the eyes, with just about some of the most wonderfully insane imagery I've ever seen (The Doof Warrior, Nathan Jones ripping the massive engine out of the truck), I have yet to see a movie that was just so full throttle balls to the wall and almost never let up. I almost don't want there to be another one because I'm not sure any sequel could be more perfect than this.

4)Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Me, watching the end: THERE IS DUST IN MY EYES I AM NOT CRYING!

One of the films that ended up making Guillermo del Toro a household name, this foreign language film is a beaut, blending fanciful story telling set amidst the brutal backdrop of Spain during World War II. I have a deep abiding love for movies that ambiguously cross back and forth over the line between fantasy and reality, and they way this film does it is masterful.

5) Beetlejuice (1988)

The movie that pretty much was the defining film of my entire childhood (seriously, I was obsessed), if you want to see Tim Burton before his aesthetic became whored out and stale, this should be your first stop. Yeah, the effects are a bit dated, but the art direction and design is something that, to this day, I have never quite seen rivaled. And Michael Keaton absolutely killed it in the lead, losing himself in the role and playing off that perfect combination of charismatic and irreppressably sleazy. Also keep your ears peeled for that pre-PG-13 rating utterance of "fucking", lol.

6) Ghostbusters (1984)

Also defined my childhood, and a comedy classic for a reason. To this day I'm just in love with this movie's ability to seemlessly blend comedy, horror, and mythology to create it's own unique vision of a world where reality co-exists with the paranormal. The sequel is ok (I LOVE Vigo), but kind of lost a bit of the magic.

7) Sunshine (2007)

What's with all the mid-2000's movies on the list? This is one of my science-fiction go-to's, a powerful story about a team trying to reignite the dying sun to save all life on Earth. Naturally, it's not that easy. The movie is a psychological masterpiece, portraying the enormity and power of space as something that can inspire both awe and madness. Critics will (rightfully) tell you the movie has a jarring shift in tone about two-thirds of the way through, but it's not like it was out of left field and it certainly doesn't ruin the movie for me.

8) Blade Runner (1982)

Another psychologically oriented sci-fi masterpiece, the movie's reflection on just what it means to be human still captures my imagination. Also, the environment and effects that they were able to pull off in 1982 are iconic and mind blowing, and were also put to good use in the sequel Blade Runner 2049 (which, given some time and reflection, will likely end up on my list). Tune in for Rutger Hauer's haunting and iconic final scene.

9)Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)

No, shocking not the better known Holy Grail (although that's a classic for a reason), the dark humor and irreverence of Meaning of Life always put it at the top of the list for Python material for me. From the forced organ donation, to "every sperm is sacred" to Mr. Creasote, I still laugh my ass off all the way through.

10)Brazil (1985)

More Terry Gilliam! This madcap satire strikes me in a lot of the same ways Meaning of Life does, utter absurdity mixed with dark comedy, this time given a dystopian bent that hits a little too close to home for me at times. Great movie, but an odd duck for sure.

Hate Post Like Post