Current XWF board time: 12-17-2017, 09:03 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)
RULES: TIME TO REVISIT
11-11-2017, 03:14 PM
Hi guys!

Just wanted to put this down in findable form since a lot of it has kind of been buried and may have never been seen by some folks in the first place.

I've noticed over the past few months there has been some habits forming that are technically against the rules.

Now, no one has had anything bad happen to them as a result, no warnings or bannings or anything like that, but I want to make sure we put a cap on things moving forward. I'll try to find the older threads discussing these things in more detail, but I might not be able to find the older ones.

1) IF YOU USE ANY AUDIO AUTOPLAY IN YOUR RP IT HAS TO BE AT THE VERY TOP

This is so people can turn it off right away if they need to. There have been a lot of them at the bottom lately, and I get it, you want that mood with the writing. But, this is the rule.

2) YOU CANNOT USE SCREENSHOTS OF THE SITE ITSELF IN IC POSTS

There's just too much OOC info in any screencap for this to work. things like profile comments, reps, word count, etc, are all blurring the line at best. This doesn't come up a lot, but it has come up.

3) NO OOC GOODBYE POSTS OUT OF NOWEWHERE

Look, sometimes people need time off or want to quit. No big deal. But if you're posting some goodbye letter on the boards before anyone else even knows you're leaving, that's an issue. ESPECIALLY if you're a heavy participant and EVEN MORE ESPECIALLY if you are holding a title. For one, you might be spoiling plans people have. For another, you are possibly spoiling results if you are posting something like that before a show you appear on goes up. And in the case of titles... well, look at what has happened in the last few months. We've seen like three different X-Treme Champs up and leave while holding the belt. What happened? People raced to the 24/7 board to try and take advantage. It sucks. You talk to me first, we get things situated, then yo do whatever. Simple.

- HERE'S SOME RULES I AM CONSIDERING -

1) EXPIRATIONS ON 24/7 CASES

I'll almost certainly do this. I'm thinking you have to use them within, say, 6 months? Maybe 12? Or they go away. I would grandfather in the ones held by Morbid Angel and Unknown Soldier and put them on the same timer as Jimmy's with whatever time I figure out... right now there's just too many from like 3 or 4 years ago floating around and that seems unfair.

2) CHANGING THE ELIGIBILITY FOR THE 'LOWER' TITLES

Right now, if you've won the Universal Title, you can't get the Hart or TV. That's to try and keep heavy hitters from going after the newer guys and keeping them down. What I'm thinking though, is maybe if it's been a year since you were Uni Champ, then it resets and you can go for them. It would open up more booking opportunities.

3) FIRST RP 'NO-REPLY' RULE

This is something I've been pondering. I think it would help with the deadline/sandbag issues. Basically, make it so that in every RP cycle, your FIRST RP can't be a direct response to your opponent's RP. In other words, you have to come into each match cold, not feeding off of anything else. This will prevent people from waiting for the other guy to go first, and will hopefully make people have to do more than just simply fire back at the opponent, giving them a slight advantage over the guy who posted first.

Thoughts? Questions? Hit me up.

Thanks!

Edit this post
Hate Post Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The following 10 users Like King Vincent's post:
D.A. James (11-11-2017), Scully (11-11-2017), Finn Kühn (11-11-2017), Broken Oswald Autem Sephtis (11-11-2017), Imperial (11-11-2017), Peter Fn Gilmour (11-11-2017), Maddy and Engy (11-11-2017), JimCaedus (11-11-2017), Drake (11-12-2017), Robert Main (11-12-2017)
11-11-2017, 05:06 PM
With the rules about the championships, and the case time limit, will those be IC, or just OOC only? Like, hypothetically they expire, and Cadeus and I get into a match, can I make a joke about losing the case? And can I make a comment about how Grande thinks he's ineligible for other titles because he's convinced he's the Uni champ?

[Image: dKqz7Pz.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Grande Ricardo's post:
Bearded War Pig (11-11-2017), Imperial (11-11-2017), JimCaedus (11-11-2017)
11-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Yeah I think it's IC usable.

The following 1 user Likes King Vincent's post:
Imperial (11-11-2017)
11-11-2017, 06:50 PM
(11-11-2017 03:14 PM)King Vincent Said:  

This is something I've been pondering. I think it would help with the deadline/sandbag issues. Basically, make it so that in every RP cycle, your FIRST RP can't be a direct response to your opponent's RP. In other words, you have to come into each match cold, not feeding off of anything else. This will prevent people from waiting for the other guy to go first, and will hopefully make people have to do more than just simply fire back at the opponent, giving them a slight advantage over the guy who posted first.

Thanks!

Why not make something in the store that people can use or cash in on matches if they see this is a disadvantage?

Beatdowns - Pay Xbux to beat the shit out of someone during the RP week. You start a thread on the RP board that has your attack, and it prevents the victim from RPing for 0-24 hours depending on how well written the attack is. Pay extra if the victim is someone other than your opponent.

Extra air time - Pay to have the RP deadline extended by 1 hour

Gives more stuff to do with x-bux and it makes sneak attacks a bigger deal. I imagine that it would give people some more material to feed off of in their RPs as well.

[Image: bsz3FUZ.png]

107 - 1 (Lost to Theo only because I have a shit fetish)
Second Greatest Wrestler Of All Time
King of the XWF

Current Events:
*Beat the Universal Champion*
*Beat the number one contender for the Universal Title*
The following 1 user Likes John Madison's post:
Bearded War Pig (11-12-2017)
11-11-2017, 06:58 PM
I like these ideas in theory, but I don't like the idea of fucking with the deadline at all. I also don't want to give people reasons to NOT roleplay.

I want to encourage more of it

The following 2 users Like King Vincent's post:
Imperial (11-11-2017), Robert Main (11-12-2017)
11-11-2017, 09:11 PM
You do know that the cases already have a time limit right? Lol it's always been a year. That's how it was when I first came here years ago. I didn't even know it changed lol.

XWF Record
12-0-16Pin
Title Belts Owned
Television Title(1x)
X-Treme Title (2x)
Hart Title (1x)
Tag Team Titles(1x)
Kill Count
KandiPWashington
JakeiWakefield
Icen
Drake Knight
Britney Caldwell
[Image: svR0kd1.png]
Credit for banner. My boy Gator <3
Pin
11-11-2017, 09:52 PM
(11-11-2017 06:50 PM)John Madison Said:  

Thanks!

Why not make something in the store that people can use or cash in on matches if they see this is a disadvantage?

Beatdowns - Pay Xbux to beat the shit out of someone during the RP week. You start a thread on the RP board that has your attack, and it prevents the victim from RPing for 0-24 hours depending on how well written the attack is. Pay extra if the victim is someone other than your opponent.

Extra air time - Pay to have the RP deadline extended by 1 hour

Gives more stuff to do with x-bux and it makes sneak attacks a bigger deal. I imagine that it would give people some more material to feed off of in their RPs as well.

I like the spirit of this, and giving beat downs an actual tactical advantage, but ultimately I agree with Vinnie that denying people the chance to RP isn't in the best interest of the fed. Plus you know everyone would use it on the last day anyway.

As far as the rules in consideration, I think number 1 is a great idea, I didn't even know number 2 WAS a rule, but sure.

Number 3 is interesting. Personally I think I may have RP'ed first in almost all of my XWF matches and it hasn't hampered me once. I've always said that if you're RELYING on what your opponent says you're already losing. But I wouldn't mind if this was instituted either.

[Image: 9QBn3eQ.jpg]

[Image: BNfJAHE.jpg]

The following 1 user Likes Maddy and Engy's post:
Doctor Louis D'Ville (11-12-2017)
11-12-2017, 12:02 AM
I did want to apologize if my goodbye came out of nowhere, just had a family member have a stroke and am dealing with that for a little while longer.

Educating the XWF since 06/08/17
11-12-2017, 12:16 AM
(11-12-2017 12:02 AM)Neville Sinclair Said:  I did want to apologize if my goodbye came out of nowhere, just had a family member have a stroke and am dealing with that for a little while longer.

That's different dude.

11-12-2017, 06:00 AM

Thanks!

I will playtest this.
11-12-2017, 06:35 AM
(11-11-2017 03:14 PM)King Vincent Said:  Hi guys!
2) CHANGING THE ELIGIBILITY FOR THE 'LOWER' TITLES

Right now, if you've won the Universal Title, you can't get the Hart or TV. That's to try and keep heavy hitters from going after the newer guys and keeping them down. What I'm thinking though, is maybe if it's been a year since you were Uni Champ, then it resets and you can go for them. It would open up more booking opportunities.

Thanks!

I completely agree with both of these rules, I would say put both of these in.

1 x X-Treme Champion
2 x Heavy Metalweight Champion
11-12-2017, 06:58 AM
(11-11-2017 09:11 PM)Michael McBride Said:  You do know that the cases already have a time limit right? Lol it's always been a year. That's how it was when I first came here years ago. I didn't even know it changed lol.

I think you are incorrect. Unless it was just assumed. But every time I have asked there was no such rule.

(11-12-2017 12:02 AM)Neville Sinclair Said:  I did want to apologize if my goodbye came out of nowhere, just had a family member have a stroke and am dealing with that for a little while longer.

Extremely different. Emergencies are emergencies.

The following 1 user Likes King Vincent's post:
Imperial (11-12-2017)
11-12-2017, 09:32 AM
I agree with the suggested rules, especially the first roleplay one. I think it's worth implementing a similar rule for deadline bomb roleplays.

If a roleplay is posted in the last hour or so, it can't be responding to another roleplay per say, but has to be a solo promo. Trash talk is fine, as I imagine it is for the first roleplay. But it cannot be responding to another one, if it doesn't allow for a correction because of the time limit, if that makes sense.

Think before you speak.

[Image: werwolves-eyes-for-Jason-Momoa.gif]
11-12-2017, 10:03 AM
An addition to Danny's suggestion, I'd say if you're sandbagging, you have to post at least 6 hours before deadline.

11-12-2017, 03:00 PM
Why stop at 6 hours? Why not make it 7 hours and 52 minutes and 34 seconds?

Point being, the fed already has more rules in place to help curb this overblown notion of sandbagging as it is. At some point we are going to have so many rules that posters can only post a role play on the second Tuesday of odd months following a full moon.

In reading this post and others that have been made in the last few months it seems like too many folks are focused on trying to take advantage of the posting rules instead of just writing.

As has been said before if your strategy is to try and wait out your opponents you are only hurting yourself.

I have judged a lot of matches and very rarely, if ever has the final roleplay swung the needle from one result to another. We look at your entire body of work in an rp cycle and that's how we judge. For me personally, it's very obvious when a person is holding back on trash talk so that they can unleash it all at the very end thinking that it will help them out. And when I see it I judge accordingly. Judges want to see the back and forth trash talking and when someone is obviously trying to avoid that so they can get the last word that will not do them any favors. The most successful writers that I have come across in this fed are the people who the people who dictate what goes on in an rp cycle and not those that spend all their time responding.

"Mens et Manus" - "Mind and Hand"

XWF Director Of Information Technology and Cyber Security
The following 1 user Likes Dr. Milton Matthews's post:
Imperial (11-13-2017)
11-12-2017, 03:11 PM
(11-12-2017 03:00 PM)Dr. Milton Matthews Said:  Why stop at 6 hours? Why not make it 7 hours and 52 minutes and 34 seconds?

Point being, the fed already has more rules in place to help curb this overblown notion of sandbagging as it is. At some point we are going to have so many rules that posters can only post a role play on the second Tuesday of odd months following a full moon.

In reading this post and others that have been made in the last few months it seems like too many folks are focused on trying to take advantage of the posting rules instead of just writing.

As has been said before if your strategy is to try and wait out your opponents you are only hurting yourself.

I have judged a lot of matches and very rarely, if ever has the final roleplay swung the needle from one result to another. We look at your entire body of work in an rp cycle and that's how we judge. For me personally, it's very obvious when a person is holding back on trash talk so that they can unleash it all at the very end thinking that it will help them out. And when I see it I judge accordingly. Judges want to see the back and forth trash talking and when someone is obviously trying to avoid that so they can get the last word that will not do them any favors. The most successful writers that I have come across in this fed are the people who the people who dictate what goes on in an rp cycle and not those that spend all their time responding.

I meant dropping only one RP at the very end for sandbagging. If I spent all my RP doing RPs and my opponent hasn't shown up, and is planning on dropping only one at the very last minute, it may not impact his changes very much or at all, but it's still kind of assy. So maybe a rule saying that if you only do one RP for the event you have a shorter time frame, would help curtail that behaviour?

11-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Honestly if a person drops one roleplay at the deadline and it's enough to beat whatever you did during the week then the issue is with the work you did, or didn't do and not what they did. And again that is a pretty rare occurrence to begin with.

Is dropping one rp at the deadline and only that assy? It's certainly not something I would ever advocate for or want to see. And definitely not something I would reward the writer for.

I don't know how giving them a shorter time frame really helps or fixes anything because I think in the scenario you are proposing you are assuming that the person is only dropping one rp at the deadline on purpose and short of them coming out and saying that we really have no way to verify.

I think we can all agree that sandbagging sucks and no one wants to see it. I happen to be of the opinion that sandbagging is an overblown issue here, especially since I do judge matches and I know what little impact those "sandbag" rps play in the overall judgement.

Ultimately it will be Vince's decision but I feel as though we have enough rules already in there to help counteract the notion of sandbagging.

"Mens et Manus" - "Mind and Hand"

XWF Director Of Information Technology and Cyber Security
The following 1 user Likes Dr. Milton Matthews's post:
JimCaedus (11-13-2017)
11-12-2017, 11:10 PM
(11-12-2017 09:32 AM)DannyImperial Said:  I agree with the suggested rules, especially the first roleplay one. I think it's worth implementing a similar rule for deadline bomb roleplays.

If a roleplay is posted in the last hour or so, it can't be responding to another roleplay per say, but has to be a solo promo. Trash talk is fine, as I imagine it is for the first roleplay. But it cannot be responding to another one, if it doesn't allow for a correction because of the time limit, if that makes sense.

I'd say that should only be considered in a scenario with someone implementing only a single deadline bomb RP in a cycle if at all. Personally I disagree either way; like Milton said, that handler will be taking a risk and that single RP better be one major epic obliterating the opponent(s) if the handler expects or hopes to win with it and again, like Milton said, in that case a loss to said bomb would be due to legitimate outplaying of the opponent which consists of a helluva lot more than just the responses in trash talk. If you're suggesting any roleplay posted close to deadline shouldn't be allowed to be responsive, that sounds more concerned with fear of losing a match based on a roleplay you weren't able to respond to and would just allow you yo respond at an even later date your opponent for some reason wasnt allowed to have as well. Deadline strategies are just how the game goes in XWF. Like the 24/7 Briefcases it makes it more fun, exciting and challenging and forces you to be strategic as well as forces one to adapt and think on their feet. Anyway, in the case that someone started off or has been RPing through the RP cycle, why should he or she be limited in the end when they've been doing the work already? Doesn't seem fair at all.

As for the cold start for all first RPs in a cycle, I can see the logic in that, I've ever both posted first and not in a cycle (usually for the latter it's due to time allowed for writing). However, I'd like to point out that response RPs are inevitable and either way, one opponent or the other will be kicking off the responses. Forcing cold starts all around just pushes back the first response to the second RP, if that's the strategy the handler uses, so I'm not quite sure what this will do other than create an admittedly different and intriguing first round for all matches and I'm not opposed to that specifically, I just think for those who may find themselves suddenly low on time due to circumstances they didn't cause (legitimate emergencies or just bad luck for example) or those who have consistent limitations on time, this rule could very negatively affect them. Whichever rule is decided though I'm up for the challenge.

I'm 100% onboard with expirations on 24/7 briefcases and the lower title eligibility alteration!

[Image: YSqFoQ7.jpg]
[Image: oqNqgFo.jpg]
Shout out to Gravy for these kick ass banners

~XWF ALL TIME TOP 50 STARS #43
~XWF UNIVERSAL CHAMPION - 1x
~XWF TAG TEAM CHAMPION w/Chris Chaos - 1x (current)
~XWF 24/7 Briefcase - 2x (current)
~XWF Trio Tag Champion w/Ax3 - 1x
~XWF Television Champion - 1x (undefeated)
~XWF Federweight Champion - 2x
~XWF Triple Title Holder - 1x (TV, Federweight & 24/7 case)
~XWF Double Title Holder - 3x (TV/Feder, Uni/Trio & Tag/24/7 case)
~XWF 2017 Lethal Lottery IV Tournament winner!!
~XWF 2017 Leap of Faith Rafter Match winner!!
~XWF 2017 2nd Annual Doc D'Ville Hosted Shove-It Rumble Co-Winner!!
~XWF Feb. 2017 J. Carver Federweight Scramble Winner!!
~XWF January 2017 RP of the Month!! - "Like a Moth to the Flame"
~XWF February 2017 Star of the Month!!
~XWF March 2017 3-Way Star of the Month!!
~XWF September 2017 RP of the Month!! - "Lions and Tigers and Caedus, Oh Shit"
~Proud final opponent of XWF Legend Barney Green

---Love Me, Like Me, Hate Me. No Worries---
11-13-2017, 09:19 AM
IMO if you have to reply, especially your first of 3 rps....You're doing it wrong. That type of thing isn't creative at all.

[Image: 7ae0ddd2-29ba-45a3-b169-b05f779ca55e_zps...mbmmwk.jpg]
11-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Noted, And accepted.

On the title eligibility I think a year is awfully long. Our roster honestly isn't all that populated these days.

I understand why it's done, and perhaps categorizing pairs of titles like the Hart/TV and Universal/Xtreme might be better.

Think before you speak.

The following 1 user Likes Imperial's post:
JimCaedus (11-13-2017)
11-13-2017, 09:55 AM
(11-13-2017 09:19 AM)erikblack Said:  IMO if you have to reply, especially your first of 3 rps....You're doing it wrong. That type of thing isn't creative at all.

There's nothing wrong with replying to other RPs. Judges here LOVE seeing back-and-forth trash talk. It only really becomes a problem when, as Vinnie said, replying begins to prevent you from throwing out your first RP as you're waiting for your opponent to make the first move.

On that note, I'm fine with all three proposed rules. Cases should have an expiration date, and as Vinnie says it creates a sense of unfairness. The no-RP reply rule for the first one eliminates the feeling of waiting for your opponent to go first so you need to reply, and instead both sides need to roll out their own individual arguments. The only one I'd maybe have a problem with would be the ineligibility for the lower titles, in the event that someone who has won the Uni and doesn't have enough time daily for the boards for the Xtreme title doesn't have to go for the Universal title then after, and can go after one of the other championships. But there's nothing saying we can't put the ineligibility rule on, say, the TV title and leave the Hart as normal. Idk, just a thought.

[Image: imgpsh_fullsize]

The following 1 user Likes Finn Kühn's post:
JimCaedus (11-13-2017)
11-13-2017, 09:56 AM
I totally agree that people will always respond, and responding in an of itself is totally fine! Like Milton said, we like to see the back and forth.

What I'm hoping to help curtail is the behavior I have noticed in quite a few folks who INTENTIONALLY wait for the other guy to go first just so they can reply to it, instead of just coming off the cuff with quality of their own making. There seems to be some inherent fear that going first gives you a disadvantage... well, with this rule in place, no such disadvantage exists.

The other added bonus is that hopefully people will post sooner. I can't tell you how difficult it can be on the judging staff when 50% of the RPs come in on the last day.

There's not a whole lot we can do about sandbagging, etc. It will always happen. Not always on purpose, either... some people only have specific time available for them to write, and that's fine.

Just remember, the RP rules are there to try and keep things as fair as possible. They don't exist as a way to strategize and give yourself some advantage. If you find yourself thinking anything along the lines of "well, if I post it like this, and wait until then to post again, then my opponent won't be able to reply!" you're kind of ruining the spirit of things and going about it all wrong.

Just do you. Tell your story. Write your writing. Play YOUR game, don't try to keep anyone else from playing theirs.

The following 3 users Like King Vincent's post:
Finn Kühn (11-13-2017), Bearded War Pig (11-13-2017), JimCaedus (11-13-2017)
11-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Very true that back and forth is good and warranted when doing three rps. The first shouldn't be a reply. I like that rule

The following 1 user Likes erikblack's post:
JimCaedus (11-13-2017)
11-13-2017, 04:05 PM
(11-13-2017 09:19 AM)erikblack Said:  IMO if you have to reply, especially your first of 3 rps....You're doing it wrong. That type of thing isn't creative at all.

That's just not something I agree with at all, "responding isn't creative"? Creativity is on the writer, brother, responding or not really has nothing to do with it. I promise you, here in XWF, you go up against someone who slams you hard in direct TT (that'll be 9 handlers outta 10) you're most likely gonna wanna respond to flip it all around on them if you think they nailed you. That's where the burden of creativity lies on the writer to do so, or in responding however they see fit for that matter. Both ways and everything in between have served handlers well here, including me and Ive almost always been on the extreme side of the response spectrum. Take Guppy Parsh for example as a character who never "directly responds" and still whips your butt through his writing (I'm on that list he's defeated, Erik) and The Doc as an example a bit in-between for what happens when your opponent twists what you say against you AND utilizes other skills in combination (I'm on that list of defeats too lol). Both Doc and Guppy swing their styles so well bc XWF allows them to perfect their craft through the freedom this fed offers and actually, that extends to all of our writers. The XWF has a way (if you seek glory) of honing your god given talent through balls out competition, sharpening your skills and your creativity to amazing levels. Imo Erik, I can see you have some serious skill in this game and I know for a fact the XWF will inspire you to shoot for something even greater, evolving your ability as it does many of us. Like Vinnie said, "Just do you. Tell your story. Write your writing. Play YOUR game, don't try to keep anyone else from playing theirs" and you'll do well.

With that said, I'm more onboard now for the 1st RP cold starts than Ibwas before not only for the reasons others have stated but bc I suddenly realize that's going to give us all the perfect opportunity to push ourselves even MORE and pushing yourself to improve is, fuck hyperbole, never a bad thing.

The following 2 users Like JimCaedus's post:
Finn Kühn (11-13-2017),  Robbie Bourbon  (11-13-2017)
11-13-2017, 04:38 PM
(11-13-2017 04:05 PM)JimCaedus Said:  

That's just not something I agree with at all, "responding isn't creative"? Creativity is on the writer, brother, responding or not really has nothing to do with it. I promise you, here in XWF, you go up against someone who slams you hard in direct TT (that'll be 9 handlers outta 10) you're most likely gonna wanna respond to flip it all around on them if you think they nailed you. That's where the burden of creativity lies on the writer to do so, or in responding however they see fit for that matter. Both ways and everything in between have served handlers well here, including me and Ive almost always been on the extreme side of the response spectrum. Take Guppy Parsh for example as a character who never "directly responds" and still whips your butt through his writing (I'm on that list he's defeated, Erik) and The Doc as an example a bit in-between for what happens when your opponent twists what you say against you AND utilizes other skills in combination (I'm on that list of defeats too lol). Both Doc and Guppy swing their styles so well bc XWF allows them to perfect their craft through the freedom this fed offers and actually, that extends to all of our writers. The XWF has a way (if you seek glory) of honing your god given talent through balls out competition, sharpening your skills and your creativity to amazing levels. Imo Erik, I can see you have some serious skill in this game and I know for a fact the XWF will inspire you to shoot for something even greater, evolving your ability as it does many of us. Like Vinnie said, "Just do you. Tell your story. Write your writing. Play YOUR game, don't try to keep anyone else from playing theirs" and you'll do well.

With that said, I'm more onboard now for the 1st RP cold starts than Ibwas before not only for the reasons others have stated but bc I suddenly realize that's going to give us all the perfect opportunity to push ourselves even MORE and pushing yourself to improve is, fuck hyperbole, never a bad thing.

Creativity means coming out with something cold. It isn't creative to only respond to your opponent. Well..I shouldn't say that it isn't creative. It's MORE creative to not immediately respond. The guy responding has ammo whereas the guy who didn't came up with everything from scratch. I've been in feds where responding was a no no. Of course it was one rp per week. My stuff was like..10k+. It's much harder to come up with something cold rather than to respond. It forces you to better your writing. I can say that mine approved drastically.

But like I said. If you're doing more than one, responses are warranted. Just not the first one

The following 1 user Likes erikblack's post:
JimCaedus (11-14-2017)
11-13-2017, 06:31 PM
(11-13-2017 04:38 PM)erikblack Said:  
(11-13-2017 04:05 PM)JimCaedus Said:  

Creativity means coming out with something cold. It isn't creative to only respond to your opponent. Well..I shouldn't say that it isn't creative. It's MORE creative to not immediately respond. The guy responding has ammo whereas the guy who didn't came up with everything from scratch. I've been in feds where responding was a no no. Of course it was one rp per week. My stuff was like..10k+. It's much harder to come up with something cold rather than to respond. It forces you to better your writing. I can say that mine approved drastically.

But like I said. If you're doing more than one, responses are warranted. Just not the first one

I feel like this varies from person to person. When I first got here, hell even now, responding was one of the most difficult things for me. The trash talk component really was not something I was used to and I struggled with it.

It takes so much skill to be able to craft out a response that isn’t just purely a response, which I think is what Caedus means when he mentions Guppy and Doc.

Also it’s like Hip hop, there’s plenty of creativity in being able to take someone else’s work, carve it out and represent it as your own, by making it your own.

Think before you speak.

The following 1 user Likes Imperial's post:
JimCaedus (11-13-2017)
11-14-2017, 12:38 AM
(11-13-2017 06:31 PM)DannyImperial Said:  
(11-13-2017 04:38 PM)erikblack Said:  
(11-13-2017 04:05 PM)JimCaedus Said:  That's just not something I agree with at all, "responding isn't creative"? Creativity is on the writer, brother, responding or not really has nothing to do with it. I promise you, here in XWF, you go up against someone who slams you hard in direct TT (that'll be 9 handlers outta 10) you're most likely gonna wanna respond to flip it all around on them if you think they nailed you. That's where the burden of creativity lies on the writer to do so, or in responding however they see fit for that matter. Both ways and everything in between have served handlers well here, including me and Ive almost always been on the extreme side of the response spectrum. Take Guppy Parsh for example as a character who never "directly responds" and still whips your butt through his writing (I'm on that list he's defeated, Erik) and The Doc as an example a bit in-between for what happens when your opponent twists what you say against you AND utilizes other skills in combination (I'm on that list of defeats too lol). Both Doc and Guppy swing their styles so well bc XWF allows them to perfect their craft through the freedom this fed offers and actually, that extends to all of our writers. The XWF has a way (if you seek glory) of honing your god given talent through balls out competition, sharpening your skills and your creativity to amazing levels. Imo Erik, I can see you have some serious skill in this game and I know for a fact the XWF will inspire you to shoot for something even greater, evolving your ability as it does many of us. Like Vinnie said, "Just do you. Tell your story. Write your writing. Play YOUR game, don't try to keep anyone else from playing theirs" and you'll do well.

I feel like this varies from person to person. When I first got here, hell even now, responding was one of the most difficult things for me. The trash talk component really was not something I was used to and I struggled with it.

It takes so much skill to be able to craft out a response that isn’t just purely a response, which I think is what Caedus means when he mentions Guppy and Doc.

Also it’s like Hip hop, there’s plenty of creativity in being able to take someone else’s work, carve it out and represent it as your own, by making it your own.

Thank you for that D-dawg. Shit though, you may not think you're good at responsive TT but you're pretty damn scathing with it imo.

Erik, I don't think anyone here ever posts _pure_ response RPs, myself included, not unless both competitors are doing it, like the third time Cadryn and I had a match or when Chaos and I go head to head, that's what we tend to do to each other lol and even then we all still roll in something BESIDES the responses. My definition of a pure response RP is the old A. B. C. 1. 2. 3. and I tend to wrap even pure response like that in metaphor through relevant backstory and/or some other serious or cartoony or weird shenanigans as do most of us here, or just write up something less specifically responsive and more like you're describing you're used to.

I know what you mean about past feds not allowing pure responsive, usually on that point-for-point ABC123 I mentioned. I've been around for 21 years in this and that's pretty much all I ever experienced in efeds before XWF lol Like rap battles tho (Danny that reference is your fault for saying hip hop lol ;), or a couple of lawyers presenting their cases, a back and forth in responsive, with additions of story and such, carried out in creative or well written ways is always exciting imo, definitely something accepted and appreciated here, we love a back and forth lol I do agree both that awaiting to pull a response in the first round can be shitty and that cold RPs are a challenge and push creativity but so is and does trying to top your opponent in debate within the cycle if you're up against someone good at it. You get someone real good at pissin you off with more direct response, Engy's one of those, Dolly, The Kings, Bourbon, Sinclair, Danny, Finn and Main too...shit, most of us, you'll see what I mean about how it pushes you to get more creative in your response. And if you chose still to respond with a cold RP (which would be sticking to who you are and how you write in that case, which is exactly what the boss recommends as do I) you may not need to respond in any other way, just like Gupp'. You shouldn't say anything is more or less creative though in context with how others play, every single style is represented here and each style has seen its share of champs. It's all in how you write. I enjoyed your last RP btw =)

11-14-2017, 04:31 AM
(11-14-2017 12:38 AM)JimCaedus Said:  
(11-13-2017 06:31 PM)DannyImperial Said:  
(11-13-2017 04:38 PM)erikblack Said:  Creativity means coming out with something cold. It isn't creative to only respond to your opponent. Well..I shouldn't say that it isn't creative. It's MORE creative to not immediately respond. The guy responding has ammo whereas the guy who didn't came up with everything from scratch. I've been in feds where responding was a no no. Of course it was one rp per week. My stuff was like..10k+. It's much harder to come up with something cold rather than to respond. It forces you to better your writing. I can say that mine approved drastically.

Thank you for that D-dawg. Shit though, you may not think you're good at responsive TT but you're pretty damn scathing with it imo.

Erik, I don't think anyone here ever posts _pure_ response RPs, myself included, not unless both competitors are doing it, like the third time Cadryn and I had a match or when Chaos and I go head to head, that's what we tend to do to each other lol and even then we all still roll in something BESIDES the responses. My definition of a pure response RP is the old A. B. C. 1. 2. 3. and I tend to wrap even pure response like that in metaphor through relevant backstory and/or some other serious or cartoony or weird shenanigans as do most of us here, or just write up something less specifically responsive and more like you're describing you're used to.

I know what you mean about past feds not allowing pure responsive, usually on that point-for-point ABC123 I mentioned. I've been around for 21 years in this and that's pretty much all I ever experienced in efeds before XWF lol Like rap battles tho (Danny that reference is your fault for saying hip hop lol ;), or a couple of lawyers presenting their cases, a back and forth in responsive, with additions of story and such, carried out in creative or well written ways is always exciting imo, definitely something accepted and appreciated here, we love a back and forth lol I do agree both that awaiting to pull a response in the first round can be shitty and that cold RPs are a challenge and push creativity but so is and does trying to top your opponent in debate within the cycle if you're up against someone good at it. You get someone real good at pissin you off with more direct response, Engy's one of those, Dolly, The Kings, Bourbon, Sinclair, Danny, Finn and Main too...shit, most of us, you'll see what I mean about how it pushes you to get more creative in your response. And if you chose still to respond with a cold RP (which would be sticking to who you are and how you write in that case, which is exactly what the boss recommends as do I) you may not need to respond in any other way, just like Gupp'. You shouldn't say anything is more or less creative though in context with how others play, every single style is represented here and each style has seen its share of champs. It's all in how you write. I enjoyed your last RP btw =)

Thank you sir. I've ran with Erik for many years. I've tried to go away from him, but always find my way back.

User(s) browsing this thread:
2 Guest(s)