Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-23-2024, 06:44 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Shove-It! Boards » Shove-It! RP Board
Change Part 1 of 2
The Engineer Offline
Man of Peace

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

09-19-2017, 02:53 PM

It was one of those nights where the rain came so thick it was like it was trying to pound you into submission. Each droplet an explosion on your brow, coming in quick succession and drowning out all sound save the staccato of the storm. Thunder cracked in the distance, and naturally Engy couldn't hear the characteristic ding of Madison leaving her 11th message. In fact, his phone was loaded with messages from his manager, Robbie Bourbon, and Tomi. Hell, there was even one from Jack Cain but he just growled “get your fucking head out of your ass” into the phone and hung up.

Before him, he saw the winding walkway leading up to a massive Victorian. Trudging up to the front door, he nearly stumbled on a crack in the pavement, muttered a curse as his foot landed in the soggy, laden grass, but persisted. Reaching the door, he extends a shaky hand to the bell. A welcoming chime echoes from within, and before long a familiar face appears at the crack in the door.

Hello?

Doc, I can't do it anymore.

Realization washed over Dr. Bennie in stages. First, mild alarm. This was Engy after all. Then surprise, the lesser cousin to alarm. And then, with a smile....satisfaction. Because this could only mean one thing. The Engineer was ready. Or almost ready.

Oh, it's you my boy! Come in, come in before you catch death.

The doc opens the door further, bidding this soaked mess to enter. Engy steps in, and a pond instantly forms at his feet.

Dr. Bennie calls up the stairs.

Gloria, towels please!

The doctor gestures for Engy to follow him down the hall leading from the front foyer, and into a comfortable looking study, where conveniently enough a fire has already been lit. The doc gestures for his patient to have a seat in an arm chair near the fire, as he pulls up an adjoining chair. A housekeeper enters then, stack of towels in hand. She winces a little at the sight of Engy, before handing the towels off to themaster of the house. He nods he graciously, and she goes. Dr. Bennie offers a towel to Engy. But so entranced is he by the fire, he doesn't notice.

Here....

Engy turns to him with a queer expression. Finally, he takes the towel but makes no move to put it about him. Rather, he simply drops it in his lap, as though he had forgotten it's purpose.

You seem distracted.

I know I, uh, I ain't supposed to do this. Come to your house and shit. But it's bad. It's real bad.

I'll forgive the transgression. What's bothering you?

The Engineer's gaze returns to the fire.

No matter what I do. No matter what I do it ain't good enough. Knock off three former universal champions, knock off Jim fuckin' Caedus hisself, don't matter. Always some big asshole hoverin' over ya like an axe, waitin' to take a steamin' shit on ya.

You're referring to what happened at Warfare. Congratulations on the big win. You should be proud.

Yeah, I SHOULD be. But ain't nobody gonna give me a second to be proud.

Dr. Bennie can see the reflection of tears start to form in The Engineer's eyes. They're refracted by the fire, making it seem at a distance that they're burning. Maybe they are.

He puts a hand into the long ratty jacket he's wearing. Dr. Bennie can't help but stiffen just a tad despite himself. But Engy pulls out the bottle of pills he was given by the doctor himself, now empty.

I need more.

Why?

Engy grimaces and looks at him incredulously.

....the fuck you mean, “why”? I need to get smarter! I'm sick a bein' a fuckin' punching bag!

You overdosed on them. Do you feel smarter?

What the fuck are you playin' at, doc? You gave me this shit! JUST GIVE ME SOME MORE!

He reaches over and presses the bottle into Dr. Bennie's chest. The doctor takes it, rolling it around in his fingers a moment before looking up at Engy.

You know Engy, Jim Caedus really is a remarkably astute man. For a barbarian.

We're not talkin' about Jim fuckin' Caedus, we're talkin' about me! And what I need is....!

The doctor abruptly throws the bottle into the fire. Engy watches it go. His eyes go wide. His features harden for murder.

No.

Engy leaps up out of his chair, grabbing the doctor by the lapels of his night shirt. The doctor puts up a meek struggle, but is soon overwhelmed. Engy throws him to the floor in front of the fire and sits on his back. Grabbing a handful of his hair, Bennie is made to face the flames.

I will burn your face off if you don't help me!

A bead of sweat forms on the doctor's brow. At first, mind awash in fear, he wonders if he overplayed his hand. But no, no. He tamps it down. Swallows. He takes a moment to repress the tremor from his voice before speaking.

The pills won't help you.

In case you couldn't tell I ain't about any fucking games today!

It's not a game, Engy. It's not a game! They were placebo's. They were always placebo's.

What's a....?!

You know what a placebo is.

Engy gets up off the doctor's back and grabs the back of his shirt. He drags him closer to the fire, mere inches from the steaming metal of the grating. Bennie allows himself a cry of alarm.

YOU EVER SEE WHAT A FUCKIN' BURN VICTIM WITH NO FACE LOOKS LIKE?! Your ass is gonna be blind, deaf, and eatin' through a fuckin' STRAW!

Please, stop....STOP! You want the truth? It'll be lost to you forever if you do this!

I'm fixin' to not give a shit.

That's not true. You care. I know you do. Please.

Engy glowers down at his psychiatrist, fingers still entwined in the back of his shirt. After a tense moment, he spits out a curse and gets up. A series of pent up breaths escape from Bennie's mouth, at it takes him a few moments more to collect himself well enough to get to his feet. He takes three steps away from the fire when he does.

Engy's pacing now, worrying a path in the carpet.

You know something's not right. Something that's been nagging at you all these years. You're so close, you're so close...

Spit it out! Whatever dumb shit you need to say!

The pills I gave you were a placebo. They were sugar pills this entire time. They had no appreciable effect on your intelligence.

Engy lunges for him getting right in his face. Bennie fears that he'll be right back to the fire, but Engy doesn't escalate.

WHY?!

Because you weren't ready to see the truth. I needed to give you a reason to THINK you were getting smarter. To THINK you were improving, so that you would allow yourself to actually do it.

....the fuck are you on about?

Dr. Bennie takes another deep swallow. So much was at stake with this next statement.

You were never an idiot.

With those words, the entire pallor of the room changes. Something leaves it, and the tension lessens. The Engineer's face again takes on an unreadable expression. His bottom lip quivers. He backs away from the doctor.

I don't....I don't....

It's a lot. It's a terrible burden. Lying to yourself all this time. But the cracks were beginning to show. People were starting to notice. Jim Caedus noticed. You were never an idiot. For God sakes man, you were a child!

Engy keeps backing up, placing one trembling stumbling foot behind another as he inched backwards towards the door. Preparing to run. And it was then, that exact moment, that Dr. Bennie knew it. Knew he had him. Knew that all his efforts had not been in vain. By God they won.

Never mind. Never mind. You're, uh, you're fired. We're done.

Engy turns to go, but the doctor races up to him, catching his arm. Engy wheels on him, but there is no rage brewing there. Just terror. Cold existential terror.

You are Dexter Bright. Engineer of Aiwass. And you are the most dangerous person on the planet.

To be continued....

[Image: 9QBn3eQ.jpg]

Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like The Engineer's post:
(09-19-2017), JimCaedus (09-22-2017)