Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 05-05-2024, 03:18 AM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My gratitude to everybody here
Super Mario Offline
The Game Has Changed and So Have I

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

(cheered heavily at home; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

08-03-2017, 12:11 AM

First and foremost above all else I want to say thank you to everyone who I have R.P'd with on the boards here from Mike Graves to Dolly Waters whom I had my epic match with for the X-treme title and everybody else in between. You guys are awesome you all deserve my immense gratitude and bar none this is the BEST efed I've been in and I should know because I have been doing this since 2006. But now I'm coming to you guys in need of your help big time everybody.

I'm having a small bit of trouble somewhat with the Idea of fleshing out my character in the style I want which says to people that I am jumping out of the video game screens and into reality, into the real world job they saddled me with as a Brooklyn New York Plumber by day job but who's fight style resembles those of your bareknuckle British fighters but also contains my New York tough guy grit and never say die attitude in battle.

Basically it boils down to being somebody who lives by my words when I tell you the game has changed and so have I and if you can't adapt to survive it'll be game over the minute you hit the start button.

what I could use the most help with I feel is my Story Building I feel that's my weakest spot in R.P'ing so anyone who can help me with that you'd be a hero to me big time.

[Image: 7288a5ce883b155ddbaf03e64e671bd0.jpg]

This Ain't No Game!
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super Mario's post:
Finn Kühn (08-03-2017)
Finn Kühn Offline
Be the best, or be broken.

XWF FanBase:
Mixed

(loved by some; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

08-03-2017, 07:47 AM

I consider myself to be pretty damn good at story telling, but we all started somewhere. I read people like Doc D'Ville, Theo Pryce, etc. Now we have more guys who have great story like Jim Caedus and Jack Cain. If you want to learn how to improve your story telling, take note of whoever's consistently at the top of the card- they have to be doing something right, they have to win matches to be there. Study those people's RPs, you'll pick up on things they do, such as fleshing out scenes and coming up with storylines for your RPs.

[Image: d4Mq0D5.png]

January 2018 Star of the Month
- Win | Loss | Draw  -
- 2 | 2 | 0 -

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Finn Kühn's post:
Super Mario (08-03-2017), Vincent Lane (08-03-2017)
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

08-03-2017, 07:35 PM

My stories suck too lol jk

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
Archie Lawson Offline
Britain's Finest Export

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty)

08-04-2017, 02:53 AM

The best piece of advice I could give, is to plan and to read. Planning key points of your character's story in advance means that you know where you're headed. It's okay to take diversions on the way there, but it's important your character's storylines aren't just thrown together or it'll seem really disjointed. Be confident in your ability, and as Finn says, read the stories of the top guys. Go back and read old work too. A lot of today's RPing is focused on trash talk, but my personal favourite RPs often focus on character development, or a combination of both. Sebastian Duke (or Thaddeus) is a good example of a character who clearly has his development and plot twists planned out, and it shows.

If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
Margaret Thatcher

[Image: 97166.jpg]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 5 users Like Archie Lawson's post:
Finn Kühn (08-04-2017), JimCaedus (08-04-2017), Rosalina (08-04-2017), Super Mario (08-04-2017), Vincent Lane (08-04-2017)
Super Mario Offline
The Game Has Changed and So Have I

XWF FanBase:
Mixed reactions

(cheered heavily at home; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

08-04-2017, 07:03 AM

ok everybody I've taken your advice and...here is what I've come and boiled it down to:

most everybody in their story writing the stories are long, drawn out epic adventures which engage you into their lives which is awesome in every sense of the words

but if you as a kid ever watch stuff like the super show (with me played by the Late Captain Lou Albano Luigi was Danny Wells) the stories are usually short and funny little live action comedy segments and I am wondering if short and funny can translate to a good Impressive story in an r.p here just the same as everybody else's long story styles if so then I would prefer that as I can put more effort into that better than I can anything else I like to think.

opinions welcome everybody please you guys are helping to shape the direction I wanna go so thank you.

[Image: 7288a5ce883b155ddbaf03e64e671bd0.jpg]

This Ain't No Game!
Hate Post Like Post
Finn Kühn Offline
Be the best, or be broken.

XWF FanBase:
Mixed

(loved by some; hated by some; dips between clean/dirty)

08-04-2017, 08:21 AM

(08-04-2017, 07:03 AM)Super Mario Said: ok everybody I've taken your advice and...here is what I've come and boiled it down to:

most everybody in their story writing the stories are long, drawn out epic adventures which engage you into their lives which is awesome in every sense of the words

but if you as a kid ever watch stuff like the super show (with me played by the Late Captain Lou Albano Luigi was Danny Wells) the stories are usually short and funny little live action comedy segments and I am wondering if short and funny can translate to a good Impressive story in an r.p here just the same as everybody else's long story styles if so then I would prefer that as I can put more effort into that better than I can anything else I like to think.

opinions welcome everybody please you guys are helping to shape the direction I wanna go so thank you.

Not every story has to be long. Most RPs are on the spectrum of 1500-2500 words, and given the current length of your RPs I'd shoot for 1500. It allows you to set the scene, really describe what your characters are going through, etc. Length isn't everything of course, but you need enough words to describe what's happening. Guppy Parsh in particular is one of our best comedy writers, and if you want to go in that direction I'd read some of his stuff.

In addition, you need to clean up your grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc. If you're on Chrome, I'd recommend downloading the Grammarly add-on, it should be able to help you while you look over your RPs. Good grammar and such might not be the highest thing on the judging spectrum, but it makes your RPs that much easier to read, and may even be the turning point in a deadlock.

[Image: d4Mq0D5.png]

January 2018 Star of the Month
- Win | Loss | Draw  -
- 2 | 2 | 0 -

Hate Post Like Post
The Engineer Offline
Man of Peace

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

08-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Yes, humor has a place. There's not a ton of funny characters here, but I run one as Engy and Guppy is also very funny (although its a certain kind of irreverent offensive humor that I don't think would fit the Mario Brothers mold). I actually think it's harder though to be truly funny as opposed to being serious and intense. It demands a certain degree of timing, punchiness, and finesse and you'll have hits and misses for sure, kind of like a standup act. It's something you really have to practice at, and I think it demands more "outside the box" thinking than cutting a serious promo or a trash talk.

Funniest guy I've ever read was in a place called Hardkore World years back named Matthew X. He once dumped a bag of puppies on a token goth character so they would lick away all his sadness. I lol'ed.

I've also always felt that if you're going to go with character development, have it tie into the wrestling end of it in some form or fashion. Maybe recount a story that somehow relates to a challenging match. Or have a stressor going on that could effect in ring performance. I've always felt that the best writers tie everything together into a cohesive whole. No disrespect to guys like Duke, but when people spend the majority of their wordcount basically just telling a story that has nothing to do with XWF whatsoever that always feels disjointed to me, and undercuts the fact that the fed should be front and center.

[Image: 9QBn3eQ.jpg]

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Engineer's post:
Rosalina (08-04-2017)