Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 03-28-2024, 04:22 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » Warfare Boards » Warfare RP Board
The Winds of Change
JackCain Offline
Fighting to the last man

XWF FanBase:
Teens, some men, few kids

(booed by casual fans; hurts people; often angry)

05-09-2017, 01:27 PM

**It's a cold morning in New York. The sky is steely grey - but without any rain for the moment. Nevertheless, a storm is on the horizon, as dark clouds are gathering. While visible, they're actually miles away. For the moment there is peace, apart form a faint breeze that lightly blows litter and dead leaves around an ornate gate. A brass plate's sheen is dulled by the grim weather, the words "Cemetery of the Evergreen" stamped onto the metal and painted black. A figure walks past the plate, his huge frame obscuring the lettering for just a moment. A painful creak comes as the rusted gate squeals along it's hinges as the figure opens them. Booted feet crunch along the concrete, flanked on either side by gravestones and memorials of differing shapes and sizes. The breeze picks up, sending discarded newspaper and dead flowers sweeping in between the granite stones.

The walking figure branches off the main path to one of the many smaller ones, eventually coming to a stop under a mighty oak tree. It's leaves are scattered around the grass, different shades of green making it look like a roiling ocean of colour, as it finally calms and settles next to a pair of simple gravestones, which are shielded from the litter by the trunk of the giant tree.

Jack Cain stops next to a bench, just opposite from the the two memorials. He lowers his massive frame onto the wooden seat. It creaks as it takes his weight. The wind buffets his black trenchcoat, and sends his hair twirling in different directions as he squints against the breeze in his face. In his hand, wrapped in thin paper, are two red roses.

On the two stones reads the following text, carved for all eternity:

Jennifer Louise Cain
Loving wife of Michael, devoted mother of Jack
1941 - 1996
Taken Too Soon

Michael Bradley Cain
Joined his wife Jennifer Louise in Paradise
1937 - 2010
Finally Found Peace

Hi Mom.

Hi Dad.

Been a long time - I feel bad about that. But I've been doin' a lot of thinkin' lately, and I thought it was about time I got a few things off my chest.

I always came and talked to you dad when I needed to make an important decision. At the start, you were always right, and I was just a kid, so my dad was always gonna be right wasn't he?

"Trust your dad" you always used to say, and when you're a kid, you always think your dad's right, 'cos you taught me to respect my elders. I would always put my faith in what you said, and you never, ever guided me wrong. You told me what I should hear, instead of what I wanted to hear. That's what Mom was there for. I knew if you told me somethin' I didn't like, Mom would always look after me, rather than my interests. Between the two of ya, I could normally make a decision that was right.

Then came the day I joined up. And you both told me I was wrong. "Don't join up son," ya said. "You're only gonna get yourself killed."

Jesus, there's some days I wish I had been, cos what happened was much worse.

I'm gettin' ahead of myself. Point is this, what would'a happened if I hadn't joined? Well you'd probably still be here Mom, wouldn't ya? I knew that when I joined up, all you'd do was worry, and that put you in an early grave didn't it? I carried that around with me for years, and I still do.

I'll never forget your face when I left home that first time. You even called Karen. I know that because she told me how upset you were, but I thought I was doin' the right thing y'know? Serving my country, fightin' for the flag and all that. But you knew what was gonna happen didn't you? You knew things wouldn't be the same from then on.

You knew I'd change.

Dad - I think you'd'a been proud, cos I'd'a got a job you thought I'd deserve. You always wanted me to do somethin' with my life like you never had. I'd'a probably gone and been a sports coach, or a lawyer, or a doctor. Hell, I knew you always wanted me to be a cop, so maybe I'd'a done that. I would'a like to do something to make you proud - to do all the things you taught me but to take pride in what I did myself - not hate everythin' I've become.

You knew I'd change too.

I might'a been a husband and father by now. I might'a been someone kids could look up to. I could'a had a nice house with a front lawn and a fancy car, earnin' 50k a year and takin' holidays in Europe and puttin' money away for a rainy day.

But that was never gonna be the way it ended.

I turned into somethin' you wouldn't a been proud of. I done a lot since we last spoke, since I laid you here with Mom, Dad. I've done unspeakable things, I've lied, cheated, beaten people, burned people, cut people. I've killed people and never lost a wink'a sleep over it.

I'm a monster. I never wanted to be, but I am.

**Cain gets up, slowly, still feeling the effects of his bruised ribs from his match with Danny Imperial and Thomas Nixon the week before. He unwraps the roses and places them gently in front of each of the gravestones. Then he backs away and sits back down again. He blows through his lips and closes his eyes. He screws them up, trying to block out the jumble of thoughts in his head**

And now I gotta fight the guy that I could'a been. This guy Cadryn - you'd like him Mom - is everythin' I think you'd wanted me to be: He's respected, he's got a family, nice wife, good kids. He does the right thing, helps out the little guy, he's humble, protects his family from the bigger things that can hurt 'em. He's a proper stand up guy. Dad, you'd'a probably been his best friend if you were still here.

He's everythin' I'm not.

So what I'm askin' really is for forgiveness. Cos I gotta do to him what I do to everyone else. You'd hate me for this, because I gotta beat him to within an inch of his life.

They put me in a fight with this guy, and I gotta win to get where I need to be. I gotta win to shut out all the things in my head that keep tellin' me I'm a piece of shit - sorry for the language Mom.

He solves problems with his fists - he says usin' guns is the wrong way. When you been asked to do the things I was Dad, I'd hope you understood why I needed to take every advantage I could. And now I'm in a fight where I can use weapons with this guy.

The question I gotta ask myself is how would you feel if you were watchin' me dismantle this guy in front of his wife, his kids, his dad? How would you feel if I snapped his damned leg and made his wife cry and beg me to stop? How would you feel if I gave his kids nightmares 'cos I wouldn't stop punchin' their dad in his face till they couldn't recognise him anymore? What the Hell would you think if his dad got in that ring and tried to fight for his son because the monster they put him in there with has put him in a coma?

How would you feel?

I ask you because I don't feel anythin' anymore. I'm not the kid who walked out your door that day. I'm not the man that Karen wanted to marry. I'm not the cop, the schoolteacher or the sports coach. You can't be proud'a me.

I changed, like you knew I would.

There ain't no way to go back. I am what I am, so I just gotta ask you to forgive me if I destroy Cadryn Tiberius and what that'll do to his family.

I can wait. I can wait forever.

**The camera pulls back, leaving Cain sitting and staring at the two graves. Deep down, he knows that the answer won't be forthcoming, and whatever happens, he'll have to live with the fact he might have to put down a good man. It's how he lives with that that he has to get used to. Forgiveness is a long way away**

[Image: JackCain.jpg]
Edit Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 4 users Like JackCain's post:
(05-09-2017), Cadryn Tiberius (05-09-2017), Imperial (05-09-2017), Theo Pryce (05-09-2017)