Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 04-25-2024, 09:39 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Poll: Reverting to basics? Or continuing to advance?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'd really like us to keep our features and continue to add more, etc...
52.17%
12 52.17%
I am here to write and compete; it doesn't matter what features the board has
30.43%
7 30.43%
I honestly don't care either way because I'm just here to kill time when I'm bored
17.39%
4 17.39%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(all read!) Old School vs Features and upgrades
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

05-31-2014, 06:59 AM

I would like to get opinions on whether or not reverting back to a basic, free, no special feature message board would be a negative in your eyes.

One way or another we are leaving the current server we're on in the next 60 days, period. I will not continue to renew the current server with the increasing trouble I am having to deal with behind the scenes.

When we leave this server, if the NEW site/server is not already 100% complete, I am abandoning the project entirely and signing us up in an automatic free board so the XWF can continue onward, uninterrupted. We'll still be able to RP and upload avatars, etc... but pretty much every feature that feels like "XWF" is going to be gone because those free boards do not allow you to fully customize their coding/source.

So here's my question... would reverting back to an ad-supported, free board really be that bad? How much DO you guys care about the extra bells and whistles? How much DO you guys hope to see even further improvements and all of the ideas I had in store for the new site, such as currency systems, a word of the day bonus, a built in chat, a built in "live" word counter on the screen as you type your rp, and many more?

If it makes no difference to you guys, then I will be honest and say I want to revert back to a free board that doesn't require me to maintain it nearly as often behind the scenes. This will also relieve me of having to ask for donations because, in all honesty, who wants to donate to an e-fed anyway? I get that. I really do get that.

Vote on the POLL specifically, but if you'd like to leave a comment here on the matter that is also welcome.

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Edit Hate Post Like Post
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

05-31-2014, 07:19 AM

PS: Transfer to an old board will also mean losing 100% of the work these boards have, as a free board will not accept a database import. These boards would be taken down and all content permanently deleted. I feel like this might matter to some so I'm making sure it's known.

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane's post:
Rain (05-31-2014)
Rain Offline
The Queen of Queer

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

05-31-2014, 07:55 AM

Gah...Okay, at first, I was like, do you mean one of those REALLY old school boards, where it's basically just a black screen, with stacked threads...To illustrate my point, there's another XWF that uses that system --

http://members.boardhost.com/xwfmassacre

It was fine for me back in the early 2000's...But it's grown archaeic. Any fed that uses THAT just looks bleh, and certainly doesn't have nearly enough features. But, I realized you're probably talking about ProBoards/InvisionFree. And I am ABSOLUTELY fine w/that, practically every fed I've been in has used that form, and I have no problem with it.

As long as the 24/7 sections, UFO/Ark, all that can be transitioned over, that part is cool. THOSE are the things that I missed, not all these fancy doo-hickies. It's like getting a game console for 'achievements' or a cell phone for pretty much anything but talking. Now...

The problem is, as you mentioned, transferring over everything. The only thing I can think of right now, is giving a grace period, have people collect as many things as possible, and DEFINITELY collect all the shows. I would even be willing to help, and I could def. take care of a lotta that, cuz I save archives upon archives from the past decade+

That's the only issue I see, but obviously, after all the hell I've caused, my opinion shouldn't sway things much. Just saying, if we can archive at least, say, half of the work, and the shows in particular, then I don't think many people would have an issue with it. And if it's what YOU wanna do, you're in charge, run with it. Starting to realize, when someone's at the helm, whether it be in charge of a group, or themselves, they should go with how they feel, instead of letting popular opinion guide them.

Do what'cha think is best, Shane-o. All I gotta say.

~ R.

[Image: Dahvie-vanity-botdf-crew-31823997_zpsgzuqvwx0.gif]

iAm fluid... my gender, my sexuality, my personality...
as fluid as the drops of water pouring down upon us from the heavens above

Former 24/7 Xtreme Champion [x1]
Born: 10.31.89 -- Died: 09.13.13 | ReBorn: 08.11.2014 | #emoHero | #BROKEN

@the_rain_storm (on forum) | @the_rain_storm (on twitter) | FaceSpace | The YouTubezz
Hate Post Like Post
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline
the man with the SUPER DICK

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

05-31-2014, 08:38 AM

i say keep it the way it is but add a few new things here and there..

[Image: yPandTo.png]

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 13X Xtreme Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Former 2x Heavy Metal Weight Champion
Former Universal Champion
Hate Post Like Post
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

05-31-2014, 08:56 AM

(05-31-2014, 07:55 AM)raYne Said: Gah...Okay, at first, I was like, do you mean one of those REALLY old school boards, where it's basically just a black screen, with stacked threads...To illustrate my point, there's another XWF that uses that system --

http://members.boardhost.com/xwfmassacre

It was fine for me back in the early 2000's...But it's grown archaeic. Any fed that uses THAT just looks bleh, and certainly doesn't have nearly enough features. But, I realized you're probably talking about ProBoards/InvisionFree. And I am ABSOLUTELY fine w/that, practically every fed I've been in has used that form, and I have no problem with it.

As long as the 24/7 sections, UFO/Ark, all that can be transitioned over, that part is cool. THOSE are the things that I missed, not all these fancy doo-hickies. It's like getting a game console for 'achievements' or a cell phone for pretty much anything but talking. Now...

The problem is, as you mentioned, transferring over everything. The only thing I can think of right now, is giving a grace period, have people collect as many things as possible, and DEFINITELY collect all the shows. I would even be willing to help, and I could def. take care of a lotta that, cuz I save archives upon archives from the past decade+

That's the only issue I see, but obviously, after all the hell I've caused, my opinion shouldn't sway things much. Just saying, if we can archive at least, say, half of the work, and the shows in particular, then I don't think many people would have an issue with it. And if it's what YOU wanna do, you're in charge, run with it. Starting to realize, when someone's at the helm, whether it be in charge of a group, or themselves, they should go with how they feel, instead of letting popular opinion guide them.

Do what'cha think is best, Shane-o. All I gotta say.

~ R.

I would never even consider using proboards as I think they are complete trash. I don't know exactly which free service we'd use since I haven't actually decided to go that route yet... this will mostly depend on what the fed as a whole decides. If they want me to continue to go above and beyond to maintain a site that's superior to 90% of the efed world, then they will make that desire and support clear in a number of ways over the next few days, weeks, etc...

In the past we used Excoboards, which are incredibly simple but have a few downsides. I've used Invision boards in the distant past for another fed I ran and I enjoyed them, but that was before they went through their changes. I'm talking 10 or more years ago, so I don't know if Invision would currently be something I'd want.

And yes, I've also used those very basic boards like the one you showed with the black BG and simple text links. Those are the easiest boards to manage and yes they will be considered if we downgrade. I'm not looking to put a lot of time and effort into a fancy looking board if only I and a very small handful of people even care about that... I'm going to be looking for the quickest and easiest solution that I can basically sign up for and 30 minutes later have 100% completed and ready to post on. Like I said, that will relieve me of a number of things relating to time and expenses, and allow the XWF to continue onward with no needs for upgrades, no donations, etc... Remember, a lot of this has to do with time BEING money, which is just the way the entire world works. I can no longer be spending countless hours maintaining and updating, PLUS paying for all the expenses out of my own pocket. If only I and a small handful of people care enough about the extra bells and whistles, then it's just not worth it. As we continue to grow, I'd expect and need more support from more people, and I am not sure the fed is prepared for that.

As far as me doing what I think is best, I think it's best to let the fed decide as a whole because I am more than willing and able to go either route. The responses and actions (or lack thereof) of the fed are what will dictate the next move.

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

(cheered for breaking rules and bones; excessively violent; creative with weapons)

05-31-2014, 09:23 AM

shane, do what's best for business!

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Peter Fn Gilmour's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Paul Heyman

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

05-31-2014, 10:48 AM

I voted before I read the post. I don't know why. I absolutely 100% do NOT want to lose our current look, features, etc. It makes us look far and away (and we are) better than the rest. I'll see what I can do monetarily on Friday to help you out, my nigga.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul Heyman's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

05-31-2014, 12:20 PM

(05-31-2014, 10:26 AM)Griffin MacAlister Said:
(05-31-2014, 09:23 AM)Peter Fn Gilmour Said: shane, do what's best for business!

He's asking for opinions Pete. What people think he should do out of the two options he gave. That in his mind is what's best for the business. Doing what the masses want as a whole. Which do you prefer out of the two options Shane presented? I know this is my first fed. I never rp'd before I came into the XWF and I like these boards better then the boards we used to have when I first joined. I also was looking forward to the new upgrades Shane made. I'm only one guy besides Shane though. Who else feels this way? Do you feel this way Pete?

i already gave my opinion griff. I said that I dont mind the new features that shane can put in and the site should stay the same. i think proboards sux monkey cock and so does invision. hope that answers your problem

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Peter Fn Gilmour's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Frodo mother fucking Smackins Offline
Big Dick Playa

XWF FanBase:
Drug addicts, rebels, weirdos

(the villain you love to hate; has cult following; may deal drugs on side)

05-31-2014, 12:32 PM

I like this set up, and would approve of going forward, not backwards. I can try and help soon. I'm done working for the time being, mostly so I can focus up on school and get done in 6 months.

[Image: ZXX7HJw.png?1]

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frodo mother fucking Smackins's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Scorpio Offline
Dick Of Doom

XWF FanBase:
Teens, some men, few kids

(cheered BECAUSE they break rules and bones)

05-31-2014, 12:49 PM

Wasn't Jon making something from Google AdSense back in the day? Just asking because that could help but I like these boards.

[Image: Scorpin.png]

#DickToFaces

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scorpio's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Great Buzzard Eli James IV Offline
Speaker of Truth

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

05-31-2014, 03:29 PM

I like the features. I think it makes it stand out from other feds, other than the people here. You know I'm willing to help and do what I can.

[Image: N1KpZEA.jpg]

1x Universal Champion
1x Undefeated Trio Champion (1/3)
1x Undefeated Tag Team Champion
1x Undefeated European Champion
2x Undefeated UFO/FTW (Ark of the Covenant) Champion
1x United States Champion
2013 July Star of the Month
The One Who Ended & The Administrator
Former Owner of the XWF
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Great Buzzard Eli James IV's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

05-31-2014, 05:46 PM

In the end it doesn't really matter to me how fancy we go with it.

I think most free forums give you the ability to:

PM
Rep
Signature
Suspend

That's pretty much all we need to have a decent forum for a fed.

That forum we had on exco was terrible but I still had a blast in the fed.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes John Msdison 2.Faggot's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Kimmy-K Offline
You are beautiful! I'll always love you!

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty; many likable qualities)

05-31-2014, 06:00 PM

I love these features, and I really wanna keep them... But on the other hand... Free forums (I'm using Zetaboards for this example because I know the most about it) allow for a simple currency system (when you use a code modification) and have a cbox... So at least there's that... You can also mod it to have a like button, I think. Pretty sure I've done that before. Reputation won't be a thing, though... I'd honestly help out financially, but right now, I've still gotta pay a fucking dental bill, buy a bus ticket and a lot of other shit, and I'm on just a student allowance.

Overall, I'm voting keep this stuff at all cost, but I wouldn't quit XWF just because we lost all of these great site features. I'm here for the insane shows and varying level of RP opponents. Big Grin

[Image: DDWnd.jpg]
Who says, who says you're not perfect?
Who says you're not worth it?
Who says you're the only one that's hurtin'?
Trust me, that's the price of beauty
Who says you're not pretty?
Who says you're not beautiful?
Who says?
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kimmy-K's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Sid Feder Offline
Saving myself for you

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

05-31-2014, 07:13 PM

I chose option *I honestly don't care either way because I'm just here to kill time when I'm bored*

However, I'd still donate with or without the fancy shit btw.

The site design should have nothing to do with us donating to help you out. This is like a home to me even if my appearances are not as often as I'd like. You sir are the reason we're all here whether our site looks like a million bucks or a turd. Thank you Shane. Thank you Shane.

PS: check your donations jar in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 =))
Sorry I can't do more than that today but payday isn't till next weekend.

*drops bitch* What happened--? ? *walks away*

SiD    Fede
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 3 users Like Sid Feder's post:
Great Buzzard Eli James IV (06-01-2014), Kimmy-K (05-31-2014), Rain (06-01-2014)
John Msdison 2.Faggot

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

05-31-2014, 07:47 PM

After reading other people's opinions, i'm starting to lean more towards staying here. They're right, this place has gotten pretty comfy, and we have so much stuff in the archives that I'd hate to see vanish. If it comes down to us having to move though, I'm still behind XWF all the way.
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like John Msdison 2.Faggot's post:
Peter Fn Gilmour (06-01-2014), Rain (06-01-2014)
Rain Offline
The Queen of Queer

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty while setting the trends)

06-01-2014, 02:07 AM

They're right. I do like the look of this place. As such, I donated Fiddy buckarooz.

Shane...I said it in the RP and I meant it. It's good to be home.

If you could, would love to have this as my 'button'.

Rawk on, brutha.

~ $hane-o

[Image: xwfblooddonor_zpseb4795fa.png]

|who says you're the only one that's hurting|

#Note2Self

@the_rain_storm (on forum) | @the_rain_storm (on twitter) | FaceSpace | The YouTubezz
Hate Post Like Post
Archie Lawson Offline
Britain's Finest Export

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

(booed by casual fans; opportunistic; often plays dirty)

06-01-2014, 03:56 AM

I think we should continue to advance, if we can. At the same time Shane I think you should think about yourself and what's best for you.

But yeah, if possible I would like to keep as much as we can as there is as John says, so much that i would hate to see lost.

If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
Margaret Thatcher

[Image: 97166.jpg]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Archie Lawson's post:
Rain (06-01-2014), Theo Pryce (06-01-2014)
Kimmy-K Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

06-01-2014, 04:03 AM

(06-01-2014, 02:07 AM)raYne Said:

|who says you're the only one that's hurting|

You played my theme, so I'll play yours.

#iAmraYne #iAmraYne #iAmraYne #iAmraYne

Oops... I mean...

Who says?
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kimmy-K's post:
Rain (06-01-2014)
Rain Offline
The Queen of Queer

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

06-01-2014, 08:06 AM

Silly gurl.

Nothin' beats the original ^.^

(06-01-2014, 03:56 AM)Archie Lawson Said: I think we should continue to advance, if we can. At the same time Shane I think you should think about yourself and what's best for you.

But yeah, if possible I would like to keep as much as we can as there is as John says, so much that i would hate to see lost.

Arch...I dunno how you feel about me. But gat dam it was good to see you just now. I fan-girled. Tongue

I know I was never really on your good side, or anyone else for the most part. But I feel the same about you that I do w/Santos.

Regardless of what ya think about me... you're cool. Have an excellent day.

Hate Post Like Post
Archie Lawson Offline
Britain's Finest Export

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

06-01-2014, 08:15 AM

Well I am willing to give you another chance as that was the rest of management's decision. (Damn right, I'm a part of management now.)

and i am always willing to give someone another chance, so don't worry about it.

If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
Margaret Thatcher

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Archie Lawson's post:
Rain (06-08-2014)
Theo Pryce Offline
King of Kings
Management Lv. E-Rex

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

06-01-2014, 09:04 AM

Hey Archie how about you give my balls another chance?

'Murica for ever.

[Image: XCwEiv2.png]
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Theo Pryce's post:
Rain (06-08-2014)
Archie Lawson Offline
Britain's Finest Export

XWF FanBase:
Men, some teens

06-01-2014, 09:56 AM

I'm not sure your balls deserve another chance

Margaret Thatcher

Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 1 user Likes Archie Lawson's post:
Rain (06-08-2014)
Peter Fn Gilmour Offline

XWF FanBase:
Hardcore, psycho fans

06-01-2014, 12:44 PM

(06-01-2014, 08:06 AM)raYne Said: Silly gurl.

(06-01-2014, 03:56 AM)Archie Lawson Said: I think we should continue to advance, if we can. At the same time Shane I think you should think about yourself and what's best for you.

Arch...I dunno how you feel about me. But gat dam it was good to see you just now. I fan-girled. Tongue

I know I was never really on your good side, or anyone else for the most part. But I feel the same about you that I do w/Santos.

Regardless of what ya think about me... you're cool. Have an excellent day.

silly fool Geri Halliwell's version is way better

SUCK... MY... DICK!

3X Star of the Month
Former 3x Hart Champion
Former 6X Tag Champion
Former 2X Trios Champion
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Peter Fn Gilmour's post:
Kimmy-K (06-01-2014), Rain (06-08-2014)
Kimmy-K Offline

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

06-01-2014, 05:20 PM

[Image: 50333888.jpg]

Who says?
Hate Post Like Post
[-] The following 2 users Like Kimmy-K's post:
Peter Fn Gilmour (06-01-2014), Rain (06-08-2014)
Rain Offline
The Queen of Queer

XWF FanBase:
The 'cool' kliq fans

06-08-2014, 04:02 PM

(06-01-2014, 08:15 AM)Archie Lawson Said: Well I am willing to give you another chance as that was the rest of management's decision. (Damn right, I'm a part of management now.)

and i am always willing to give someone another chance, so don't worry about it.

Again, I know this hasn't been replied to in a bit...But thank you, ever so much. Way back in 2001 or so, my very first fed-head was Sean O'Connor, and he's been my friend ever since. He truly inspired me, and has for all of these years, especially conerning my writing. And he is British, and he's had a huge impact on me, to the point that I respect the British often moreso than we 'Muricans'. The attitude, and personality, and the way many of you carry yourselves...I would love to visit some day. When everyone else has given up on me, he's the one guy that stuck through it all, for over a decade. I sincerely believe it's a whole different world over there.

God save the queen. ^^

Also, I saved that Thatcher quote in your sig. They're words that I could certainly do well to live by.

And BTW, I SAW that when I first returned, that you were part of the administration, and you help run Warfare. I thought that was AWESOME, I always saw you as the type that could truly help w/management. I remember, at first I was upset about the feedback you gave me...But then, you read one of my pieces, and the comments you made, I seriously appreciated them. And ever since then, I've held a lotta respect for you. I'm a slow learner, but once I do actually listen, I don't forget it. You do have a knowledge for this stuff, and I am VERY glad to know you're not only still here, but movin' up. As Seanie would say...Cheers, mate. Blush

(06-01-2014, 09:04 AM)Theo Pryce Said: Hey Archie how about you give my balls another chance?

'Murica for ever.

raYne: I tried, darling, and like, all I can say is......A little too much cheese for my taste, if ya know what I mean. Big Grin

(06-01-2014, 05:20 PM)Kimmy-K Said:

[Image: 50333888.jpg]

(06-01-2014, 12:44 PM)Peter Fn Gilmour Said: silly fool Geri Halliwell's version is way better

raYne: Alright!! I'll admit!!...............I like Geri's version better >< iAm a YOOOOOGE Spice Gurlz mark, always have been, always will be, even in death!! XD

[Image: spicegurlzmixedup_zps2b9c3427.jpg]

BUT....................Baby ain't got NOTHIN' on Sporty--

raYne: That was my muddafukkin' JAM!! Makes me wanna go to Damien's Rave Club!! Glowstickz of The Beast, bitchez!! ^_^

Hate Post Like Post