Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 06-01-2024, 05:16 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to really improve as a role player?
The Engineer Offline
Man of Peace

XWF FanBase:
(.Awaiting user update)

04-06-2018, 08:55 PM

Oh, guilty as charged. I've absolutely made those errors and I'm working to clean them up. I think it's kind of hard to hit on grammar errors though, like the you're, your etc...because if you're treating it as a promo that is being listened to, how could somebody possibly suss out which variant of a contraction somebody's using? They all sound the same. To me, that dips way harder into fourth wall breaking than even I'm willing to do (and you all know I dip my toes in that well on a fairly regular basis) and it would be easy to turn the tables on that and be all like "what kind of fucking lunatic thinks they know what contractions I'm using...?" I used to hit Caedus on that level of pedantry sometimes and I feel like it worked well. Hell I would love to run into somebody who tries to go all written word grammar Nazi on one of my pieces because I think it would be easy to call out how insane that is. I mean, can you imagine Hulk Hogan being all like "Lemme tell ya somethin' brother, you need to remember your past and present participles when you're telling me I huff farts, BROTHER...." LOL. I'm exaggerating of course, but I think you get the drift.

Plus, I realize it's not your personal point of view, but I'm much less of a purist when it comes to grammar and image tags and stuff like that. I see the entire hobby more for what it aspires to be (a televised event) than what it actually is (a writing competition). So, when I'm reading a piece, I'm way more apt to let grammar stuff go if I come away thinking, "Damn, that would be a killer shoot or an amazing scene if it were filmed".

[Image: 9QBn3eQ.jpg]

Hate Post Like Post

Messages In This Thread
Want to really improve as a role player? - by The Engineer - 04-06-2018, 08:55 PM