Please Login or Register to get full access to the forums.

Lost Password?
Current time: 06-17-2024, 08:04 PM (time should display as Pacific time zone; please contact Admin if it appears to be wrong)                                                                

X-treme Wrestling Federation » XWF OOC » Out Of Character (OOC) Board
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to really improve as a role player?
"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Offline
The Guy
Administrators

XWF FanBase:
Some of everyone

(cheered; very rarely plays dirty but isn't lame either; many likable qualities)

04-06-2018, 03:03 PM

Trash talk is a tough one because as much as we do have a unique and talented roster at the moment, some of the hardest hitting and most intricate trash talk I've seen has been during other eras. I wouldn't want everybody being taught the same formula for trash talk that has been successful "enough" in a landscape that isn't necessarily demanding of top notch trash talk techniques because there's so much more to trash talk than just trashing an opponent while sounding clever. I'd love to see our trash talking title (Federweight title) being attempted daily and changing hands multiple times a week, and that alone is one example of how we'll know when we have a collection of the best trash talkers who can then start teaching others, and everybody's hands will wash each others asses very nicely. lol Right now most people just ignore it or are afraid to go for it, and the judging of its exchanges is kind of just based off of who sounded better between two quick exchanges rather than true back and forth battles, retorts, shut outs, etc... from what I've seen.

Really the same could also be said about narrative, character development, even basic story telling... and most importantly, simple writing. Somebody can be seen as a rather entertaining story teller by the people looking on but if their work is suffering from basic spelling/grammatical/etc... errors that we were taught how to avoid in grade school and high school alone, it's a problem and is going to start hurting more in the future because while we're all roleplayers and story tellers, we're doing it through one core tool - WRITING ABILITY. Sloppiness such a coding errors, mismatched formatting and spacing, etc... also are really easy to catch if somebody proof reads their work and it matters. While I've seen some excellent work in RPs lately, we're coming off of what many would see as a pretty long slump period and I've been working hard to try and get a variety of writers and RP styles in the doors to hopefully see the XWF evolve into the beast it was once known to be, years ago.

Not cutting down anybody's work but I feel like with such a small crop of upper level talent that fits the XWF RP mold (not just basic efedding molds), we need to tread carefully and make sure we're not turning everyone into the same writer who may or may not actually be as refined and polished as they believe themselves to be. I sound like such an ass right now, I'm sure. lol But I've got to be the guy who says this stuff. Hope you guys can see my point though and overall I DO support this general idea, and would also love to take part in something like this just to make sure the people seeking guidance are receiving the type of advice and direction that the XWF will be demanding in the (hopefully) near future, rather than what might sabotage them in the long run once things do really heat up down the line.

[Image: dR5ZguS.png]
Hate Post Like Post

Messages In This Thread
Want to really improve as a role player? - by Carver's Sheath - 04-06-2018, 03:03 PM