X-treme Wrestling Federation
SERVER MOVE - Printable Version

+- X-treme Wrestling Federation (https://xwf99.com)
+-- Forum: XWF OOC (https://xwf99.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: Announcements & Important Info (https://xwf99.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: SERVER MOVE (/showthread.php?tid=39853)

SERVER MOVE - "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane - 02-17-2021

Due to the OOC issues and website attacks we have been suffering, we at the XWF have decided to part ways with our current server host so as to avoid them being dragged into the middle of all the petty bullshit any further.

Many of you probably know that we have been hosted on our server space for years now by a former/occasional member of the fed. We don't want the guy to get accused of things beyond his control, so, we have found a new home.

Now, what does this mean for you? Nothing really.

Just know that on Friday, we will probably experience a lengthy period of downtime. It probably won't be for too long, no longer than 24 hours at most.

Obviously, if it ends up being all of or most of the day, we will extend the soft deadline for Savage next week, so don't worry. If you were planning on doing a Friday post, it may be better for you to either do it early or to wait until after the downtime to post. Trying to wait on Friday for the site to be clear will probably be frustrating.

There's no need to back anything up or save anything, etc., nothing will be lost. We are simply moving our database onto a different server.

It sucks, and we shouldn't have to do it, but some people really just have nothing better to do with their tiny little lives, so here we are.

Let me know if you have any questions!

re:SERVER MOVE - Corey Smith - 02-17-2021

(02-17-2021, 07:54 AM)"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Said: Due to the OOC issues and website attacks we have been suffering, we at the XWF have decided to part ways with our current server host so as to avoid them being dragged into the middle of all the petty bullshit any further.

Many of you probably know that we have been hosted on our server space for years now by a former/occasional member of the fed. We don't want the guy to get accused of things beyond his control, so, we have found a new home.

Now, what does this mean for you? Nothing really.

Just know that on Friday, we will probably experience a lengthy period of downtime. It probably won't be for too long, no longer than 24 hours at most.

Obviously, if it ends up being all of or most of the day, we will extend the soft deadline for Savage next week, so don't worry. If you were planning on doing a Friday post, it may be better for you to either do it early or to wait until after the downtime to post. Trying to wait on Friday for the site to be clear will probably be frustrating.

There's no need to back anything up or save anything, etc., nothing will be lost. We are simply moving our database onto a different server.

It sucks, and we shouldn't have to do it, but some people really just have nothing better to do with their tiny little lives, so here we are.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Probably a good idea. But I was definitely planning to post an RP Friday evening due to my schedule. Would it be fair to just officialy make Saturday the new soft deadline for this week? I imagine quite a few others will be having similar issues.

re:SERVER MOVE - "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane - 02-17-2021

I see no issue with that. Of course it is still totally possible that it only takes two hours on Friday morning or something like that, or that we don't even start until later. I'll just go ahead and adjust the timer.

SERVER MOVE - Thaddeus Duke - 02-17-2021

Will that actually mitigate their ridiculous attacks on the site? I dunno how any of that shit works.

re:SERVER MOVE - "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane - 02-18-2021

It certainly won't hurt.

The short answer is, there really is no way to prevent DDOS attacks on websites. Not at our level, anyway. If someone wants to send a botnet at you and overload your bandwidth, then they will.

There are some things we can do to try and prevent it, and we will, but it's not a guarantee.

re:SERVER MOVE - Mr. Oz - 02-18-2021

Big preesh coming from over here to you guys, for workin' hard on doing what's best for the fed, lads.

re:SERVER MOVE - "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane - 02-18-2021

I don't understand those words.

re:SERVER MOVE - Miss Fury - 02-18-2021

(02-18-2021, 12:30 PM)"Loverboy" Vinnie Lane Said: I don't understand those words.

Official BOB translation:

I would like to formally offer my gratitude for all of the time and effort that you and your team have put forth towards the betterment of our community.

SERVER MOVE - Theo Pryce - 02-19-2021

Hey everyone just a reminder the server switch is to happen tonight. I don't have an exact time for you but at this point if you posted any rps today (Dean and Miss Fury) I'd save a copy of them off site and moving forward I would refrain from posting anything on here for the rest of the day so that nothing is lost while we transition over.

re:SERVER MOVE - "Loverboy" Vinnie Lane - 02-19-2021

Big Preesh!

re:SERVER MOVE - Dean Rose - 02-19-2021

(02-19-2021, 10:23 AM)Theo Pryce Said: Hey everyone just a reminder the server switch is to happen tonight. I don't have an exact time for you but at this point if you posted any rps today (Dean and Miss Fury) I'd save a copy of them off site and moving forward I would refrain from posting anything on here for the rest of the day so that nothing is lost while we transition over.

ok no problem boss man

SERVER MOVE - Theo Pryce - 02-20-2021

Quick update to this. The server move planned for last night did not occur due to extenuating circumstances however the plan now is for it to happen tonight. I do not have a specific time. But we are told the downtime will not take long. However we are going to push the deadline 24 more hours to tomorrow night. We will reflect that change on the board timers.

SERVER MOVE - Theo Pryce - 02-20-2021

The server move has been completed. The site was down for about 20 minutes.

Once again a big thank you to the handler of Eli James for hosting us on his server rent free for the last several years.

re:SERVER MOVE - Mr. Oz - 02-20-2021

Big preesh to you, Eli. You're a good egg, dude.