X-treme Wrestling Federation
Chess Match - Printable Version

+- X-treme Wrestling Federation (https://xwf99.com)
+-- Forum:   (https://xwf99.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=113)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://xwf99.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Forum: "Savage Saturday Night" RP Board (https://xwf99.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Thread: Chess Match (/showthread.php?tid=34115)

Chess Match - Steve_Justice - 07-12-2019

It’s a sunny, early afternoon in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Steve Justice is seated at the Stillwell Beergarden, an open air drinking spot with long benches and tables set up in intervals. There’s a pint of IPA sitting at his elbow and a worn, wooden chess set in front of him. He’s wearing a black leather motorcycle jacket; black jeans and a grey XWF European Tour t-shirt. Joining him is his old friend Byron McKenzie, an older man with a grey beard and a thinning head of black hair. Byron is wearing a dark green sweater and some khaki pants. Both men are staring deep in thought at the chess board in front of them.

Byron: Well? Are you going to make a move or just stare at the board all afternoon?

Steve holds up a single index finger and takes a sip of his beer. He carefully moves his white pawn on forward.

Byron: So you’re leaving for South Dakota soon huh?

Byron moves his black bishop with an authoritative thunk

Steve: Yeah, that’s right. My flight leaves tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I get to see Mount Rushmore while I’m there.

Byron: Make sure to take some pictures if you do. By the way, are you sure you know what you’re doing? You haven’t been in the ring in a while.

Steve takes one of his knights and advances it.

Steve: I’m sure. This is something I feel like I have to do. It might be the last chance I have to be a star in a real international promotion. I just want to go out and leave my heart in the ring and see what happens. Win or lose though, I want to feel the rush of a live crowd again. Make them rise to their feet and cheer what I can do in the ring.

Byron moves his bishop, capturing one of Steve’s pawns.

Byron: I just don’t want to see you go out there and get seriously hurt. Those guys are younger than you and bigger too.

Steve takes another long pull of his beer and carefully moves another pawn forward.

Steve: Yeah, you’re right. They’ve got youth on their side. But that’s about all that they have going for them. There’s a good reason why I’ve been given a job and it’s because nobody does quite what I do. There’s lots of high flyers, brawlers and even some strikers in XWF but nobody is as technical as I am. I can take a basic hold and use it to totally shut down my opponent's offense by tying them up in a knot on the mat. I know how to apply pressure to joints and just generally grind a person down with my style. Once they’re worn down, it’s my choice of how I want to finish them off: either go for the pin with the Justice Buster or just tap them out with the Justice Clutch. I’m a ring general between the ropes, Byron. Just like chess, I’m always two moves ahead of my opponent, shutting them down and setting the table for my victory.

Byron strokes his beard while he considers the board.

Byron: Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. You might want to keep that in mind.

Steve: Byron, I’ve been punched and kicked more times than I’ve had hot dinners. I’ve been hit with chairs, thrown off cages and even been set on fire! One of the reasons I’m so confident is because I’ve been tested in the fires of battle. I’ve had my ass kicked and taken my fair share of losses. But the thing that separates me from other people is that I always come back. I always come back and I come back better than I was the last time.

Byron carefully moves one of his knights across the board.

Byron: Checkmate.

Steve stares at the board in disbelief.

Steve: Best two out of three?

Some time later...

Steve sets up a tripod with a camera. The background is a small gym room with blue wrestling mats and padding on the walls. There are a line of heavy bags against one wall. He’s wearing the same clothing as before. He takes a black metal folding chair and sets it up in front of the camera backwards. He clears his throat and straddles the chair resting his arms on it.

Steve: Time’s getting short until Savage Saturday. The final stop on the road before Leap of Faith. I’m on a card with legitimate legends like Centurion and two big title matches. I feel like I have my work cut out for me to make a statement and introduce myself to the fans of XWF. I’d have to be crazy to not be feeling the pressure of this situation on my shoulders. There is so much talent in the XWF right now that everybody is clamoring for their spot on the roster. Everybody is trying to prove that they belong here. Well that’s fine with me. The stiffer the competition, the happier I am as far as I’m concerned.

Steve stretches his arms out before resting his chin on his elbows.

Steve: I’m not sure if my opponents this week appreciate the gravity of the situation. They seem like they really don’t have their eyes on the ball. Decker Hollis is more interested in his grease monkey day job it seems than he is with the match he has on Saturday night. But that’s ok. If he’s not focused, then he’s going to be in a world of hurt when he faces me. What can I say about the Stigmartyr? He’s an unpredictable madman. If this were a weapons match, I’d probably be taking out a life insurance policy on myself! But he’s not going to have a trashcan lid; a table or a chair to lean on when he gets in there with me. He’s going to have to figure out a way to take me out with his bare hands and I don’t think he has the skills to hang in the ring with me after all the hard work I’ve been putting in. I’m coming in to make my mark on the XWF and if I have to go through two men to do it, then that’s what I’m going to do.

Steve glares at the camera with fire in his eyes.

Steve: Stigmartyr? Decker Hollis? You’re going to come face to face this Saturday with a force of nature. I’m going to beat the both of you like you stole something from me! And after I’m done with you, I’m going to pile your broken bodies and use them as a stepping stone to catapult me into the spotlight where I belong. Because whether you like it or you don’t like it, the only thing that’s certain is that Justice…always ...prevails!

He reaches out and switches off the camera. Fade to black