X-treme Wrestling Federation
Losing My Religion*Rp2* - Printable Version

+- X-treme Wrestling Federation (https://xwf99.com)
+-- Forum: Warfare Boards (https://xwf99.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Warfare RP Board (https://xwf99.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Losing My Religion*Rp2* (/showthread.php?tid=14958)

Losing My Religion*Rp2* - Scully - 09-02-2014

*Losing My Religion*

I had arrived at my hotel, the Hotel Rio - Goodstay, which is located in Songdo, Incheon City, South Korea. The Xtreme Wrestling Federation was on tour and Wednesday night Warfare would be held here in the Incheon City. I had never been to this country before, so it was very different to what I'm used to, but in a good way. Although, I barely understood the staff of the hotel because of my lack of learning the Korean language, they seemed very polite. I had a couple of deserved bottles of Budweiser in the downstairs bar and chilled in my hotel room watching the XWF on the TV. I was quite tired after an 18 hour flight, so I decided to get some sleep.

I had been awake about an hour or so, I wash showered, dressed, had my breakfast and was ready to go out. I had a plan today, to visit a temple and see what Korean Buddhism was all about. Learn a little about the culture, it wasn't very often I came to South Korea, well as I said previously, never. I had my tour guide and I had google searched a temple nearby. I had to get a cab though, which I wasn't used too. I'd rather drive myself but I couldn't get a rental car anywhere like I normally would.

I had arrived at the Heungryunsa Temple and was greeted by a monk. The monk was very welcoming and was going to give me a guided tour. The monk could speak English quite well.

Monk "Hello, my name is Kwang-sik. You must be, Scully."

Scully "That is correct, I am the amazing, Scully. So Crang, Tang... Whatever your name is....

Kwang-sik interupts me

Kwang-sik "Please, my name is Kwang-sik. I would like some respect if we are going to continue with this tour."

Scully " Ok... Ok... Kwang-sik... I apologise. So... Erm... How long have you been a monk here?"

Kwang-sik "I have been attending this temple for 22 years now. My uncle, Kyung-ah is our leader."

Scully "Can I meet him?"

Kwang-sik "Maybe... Later. We must continue with the tour, Mr. Scully"

With that I followed Kwang-sik as he gave me a guided tour and gave me a history lesson.

Kwang-sik "Heungryunsa Temple, was established approximately 613 years ago, in the second year of King Wu (Goryeo Dynasty) by Preceptor Naong, a royal monk of King Gongmin. Originally, the temple was dubbed ‘Cheongnyangsa’ and the nearby mountain was called ‘Cheongnyangsan.
Unfortunately, the temple was lost to fire during the Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592 and was left desolate for 340 years. In 1938, a new temple was constructed, but was then torn down in 1966 to be rebuilt into eight new buildings. In 1977, the temple name was changed to ‘Heungryunsa,’ which it is still known as today."

Scully "So what's the difference with Korean Buddhism?

Kwang-sik "Korean Buddhism is distinguished from other forms of Buddhism by its attempt to resolve what it sees as inconsistencies in Mahayana Buddhism. Early Korean monks believed that the traditions they received from foreign countries were internally inconsistent. To address this, we developed a new holistic approach to Buddhism. This approach is characteristic of virtually all major Korean thinkers, and has resulted in a distinct variation of Buddhism, which is called Tongbulgyo which means interpenetrated Buddhism, a form that sought to harmonize all disputes. We, Korean Buddhist thinkers refined our predecessors' ideas into a distinct form.

Scully "Sounds complicated. Can I meet your leader now please?"

Kwang-sik "Ok, follow me"

I follow Kwang-sik and he takes me into a room. Inside the room are lots of other monks. They all look at me as Kwang- Sik finds his uncle and whispers something in his ear. K-yung-ah calls me forward by hand gesturing to me

K-yung-ah "Scully... You look like the Athletic type and I hear your a Wrestler, right?

Scully "Yeah that's right"

K-yung-ah "Do you know any martial arts?

Scully "Not really, it's never really interested me. I've always been into boxing and wrestling. I'm no Jackie Chan"

K-yung-ah " We are not full of violence but we must know some form of defence. Would you like me to teach you some?

Scully " Yeah, go on then. Why not?!"

With that K-yung-ah shows me some moves and techniques to use. I only went for a tour and got a martial arts lesson aswell. I had to focus and listen carefully. Although I wasn't in to this kind of thing normally, I thought what the heck. I had to concentrate and follow instructions which does piss me off, sometimes. I would probably use some of these maneuvers in my match with Father Steve on Wednesday night Warfare. It's true what they say you learn something everyday.